Archive for Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Victim identified in fatal motorcycle crash

Police release the name of the man killed a motorcycle accident Tuesday afternoon.

July 16, 2008, 9:35 a.m. Updated July 16, 2008, 11:58 a.m.

On Wednesday, Lawrence police identified the victim of Tuesday's fatal motorcycle accident as Douglas W. Puckett, 43, of Portage, Ind.

Police said Puckett was traveling east on Clinton Parkway when his motorcycle collided with a semitrailer turning south onto Iowa Street at 4:26 p.m. Puckett died at the scene.

Police identified the driver of the semitrailer as Daniel L. Arnold, 52, of Texas.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation. Police Sgt. Bill Cory said no charges have been filed.

The intersection of 23rd and Iowa streets was closed for more than six hours after the accident while police investigated the crash.

Puckett's brother, Ed Puckett, 59, said his brother had been riding motorcycles for about four years and loved to travel.

"He'd get on his motorcycle and just take off for a weekend or a week," he said.

The Pucketts grew up in Portage, a town about 30 miles east of Chicago. While Ed Puckett and his sister Carolyn, 60, both moved to Lake Havasu, Ariz., Douglas Puckett stayed in Portage, where he worked as an operating engineer.

Comments

ClearSkies 6 years, 11 months ago

The residents who lived in my house before my family had the last name of Puckett. The article says he is from Indiana. Does that mean he resided there or was originally from there?

Boeing 6 years, 11 months ago

ClearSkies - that usually means where the person resides (or, in this case, resided)

igby 6 years, 11 months ago

I was told the biker ran the light like it was not even there. There was a driver behind the truck that saw what happen.One second the truck was headed west then quickly south in front of the biker. Theres a slight hill there if your coming from the west and the intersection drops off to the east and north. When the light changes, as you well know, the turn south is done quickly because there are usually many people backed -up to make the south turn; even as far back as ridge court. This biker just didn't see the change in the light until it was too late. Its like a cliff and a drop off that you don't see until your there. The intersection is somewhat blind, coming from the west; if you don't see the light your in trouble quick.

hammysammy 6 years, 11 months ago

Actually, they changed the signals in the last months so now the turn signals go after the green light, stopping the traffic coming in the other direction so that often south forward traffic is proceeding at the same time as the left turners,at least in the north-south direction. It has definitely thrown me for a loop a few times, as I work at 23rd and Iowa and go through that intersection several times a week. I have long been accustomed to the pattern as decribed by logicsound, but it is no longer accurate.Having said that, I was working last night and witnessed the tragic aftermath. My condolences to all affected.

Hilary Morton 6 years, 11 months ago

Guys, it can be hard for family members and loved ones to read your best guesstimates of the details of the accident. It doesn't make it ok that after you talk about crushing helmets and where the cyclist was struck, you end it with "my condolences". Please leave your best theories to the investigators on the scene. I'm sure we will know very soon what actually happened, and won't have to subject those reading to the horrible tragedy.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm still struggling to understand why it took 6 hours to clean this up. Traffic was being diverted to 15th and Iowa, where people needed to turn left onto B. Billings; BUT the left turn signal wasn't working (it would never turn green). We were all turning left on red because we had no other option. That was dangerous, so I just don't get it. Clean up, take measurements and let traffic through so there aren't MORE fatalities. It seemed that their approach to investigating was causing more danger; or at least that's my opinion.

shawn1040 6 years, 11 months ago

This accident would have been avoided if the west bound semi could have taken the bypass. Its always a bad idea having semi's running through your town. BUILD THE SLT!!

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 11 months ago

I've got to agree with ls04 that the truck driver probably ran a red light (turn arrow had changed), but I still don't understand what the victim was thinking that he would not be able to see/anticipate the truck turning in front of him.In any case, it is a sad situation that cost a person his life. Prayers to him and his family.

Angel Gillaspie 6 years, 11 months ago

I remember, when I was a child, my mother ran into a motorcyclist at a left-turn signal (95th and Antioch in Overland Park) in her Chevy Impala. She was yielding to traffic but did not see the motorcycle as it was in the righthand lane of oncoming traffic and was obscured behind a big camper which was in the lefthand lane. She turned right into him, but hit her brakes so hard that she broke her ankle. He survived, but was critically injured. There was a house there (long since gone) owned by a little old lady who took my younger brother and me up on her porch where we sat on the swing and watched the cleanup. I must have been 4 or 5 years old, but I will never forget the horror on my mother's face as she realized that she was going to hit him, and her fear right afterward that she had killed him. I always, always look for motorcycles, pedestrians, bicycles and scooters while driving - one should constantly be scanning the immediate area and paying attention - but sometimes accidents happen and can't be avoided. My condolences to the Pucket family & the truck driver, too.

Laura Wilson 6 years, 11 months ago

To those who keep throwing the "trafficway" issue into this discussion, do you really think that building that thing is going to get rid of every semi-truck in town? Do we know that this particular truck would have used the bypass? What if the driver was making deliveries? Hundreds of semis make deliveries in town every day. They aren't going to use the bypass!

morganlefay 6 years, 11 months ago

My sympathies go out to the victim's family & friends.That said, with the increase in motorcylce, moped, and bicycle riders, there is bound to be more accidents like this. It's common sense, the usage goes up, accidents will go up too. Just this morning on my drive to work, I saw 2 different motorcylce riders pull out in front of traffic. I'm not saying who's fault this last accident was because I don't know. I do know that I hate driving around bikes of any kind because you have to drive more defensively with them on the road and to be honest, I don't trust them. I don't know if they're going to stay to the side or pull out in front of someone. Motorcyles are nothing but death machines. I've never rode one and don't ever plan on it. It's way too easy to become hamburger meat.

KURocks 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry this happened, but I'm going to guess it was the bikers fault. I see these guys every day doing stupid stuff. Most are young and think they're invincible, and are until the last time.

sherbert 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, his My Space page is kinda prophetic, says he's 'On Vacation' and is playing the country song, Your Going to Miss Me. So sad.

enima18 6 years, 11 months ago

What irritates me is the fact that truck drivers know that they are much less vulnerable in their truck cabs than the rest of the people on the roads. They blatently use the size of their vehicle to push other drivers around. The fact of the matter is that the truck drivers have a larger responsibility to other drivers because they drive such large and dangerous vehicles. I don't know how many times I have seen truck drivers blow through red lights when traveling down 23rd street. I know I've seen a lot more truck drivers run lights and drive like jerks than I have motorcyclists. I guess we will find out who caused the accident but if I had to guess, it was the truck driver.

chestylion13 6 years, 11 months ago

Really, people? Of course politics and what caused the accident are valid topics to be disscussed, but how about we forget about the SLT, impatient motorcyclists, bad semi drivers, turn signals, and road construction, for just a little while, and remember that SOMEONE DIED. Regardless of who is at fault, let's have some respect for those involved here. This was someone's friend/son/husband or what ever else. Yes, there is a time and place for arguing over how this could have been prevented and all the problems with traffic in Lawrence. But I think for now, we should all be thankful that we were given this day to live, and should have sympathy for those who were not as fortunate. I will get off my soap box now.

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

well, morganlefay, i can make the exact same allegations about 4 wheeled vehicles that you've made about 'cycles. it is a good thing that you don't care to experience riding a motorcycle. but you needn't be so demeaning and smug toward those of us who do ride, have ridden for years, and intend to do so as long as possible. good grief.and dreamwarrior, what was that bit about "besides they were trying to get some extra pay." have mercy! that was such a reprehensible, inane, ignorant comment-i'm speechless.

jeffds01 6 years, 11 months ago

sounds to me like someone had the right of way......bike? or tractor trailer? or maybe someone ran the light (turn signal)

lkp 6 years, 11 months ago

OldEnuf, I agreed with you - I live close to that intersection and cannot imagine what the police had to do that took so long.

ClearSkies 6 years, 11 months ago

CountrygirlI wouldn't necessarily call it luck that brought him here. =-/

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

ClearSkies 6 years, 11 months ago

No kidding. I think that having a law that makes motorcyclist's use their headlights at ALL times, (even during the day) could keep a lot of this from happening. If it was a matter of the semi driver not seeing the cycle, then maybe if the headlight was on, it would have made a big difference.

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm not eager to blame a dead man. Don't distort my opinion. My view on the situation is that he is at fault. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not.

copperdog007 6 years, 11 months ago

as an ex-trucker i can tell you from many thousands of safe miles driven coast to coast through every state and every major city. most accidents involving a big truck and a smaller vehicle are caused by the smaller vehicles impatience with a big slow moving truck that always seems to be in their way. now granted these actions by the little guy do frustrate some truckers and cause them to not be on their best defenses, however remember that with a little vehicle and a big truck the big truck will win. another thing to keep in mind next time you open the fridge and grab the milk remember its there because a trucker got it there as well as just about everything else we use each and every day even the cars we drive so carelessly around these big trucks got to the dealership on the back of a big rig. A little comparison is to think about how much distance a 2500 lb car needs to stop from 55mph and a 80,000 lb truck needs to stop. the answer is aprox 150 feet compared to 700 feet. So just remember next time you cut off a trucker, think about, you just cut off the delivery of your basic goods you need to survive. Drive carefully

sammiesays 6 years, 11 months ago

The point to all of this......Always drive defensively.......Accidents happen! Unfortunately there are fatalities.....As for the investigation: The police are doing what they are trained to do....Especially involving a fatality. If it had been one of your family members involved....You would expect the same attention to detail.....I'm sorry for the families involved.

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

Don't feel bad, morgan, I think they're death machines, too. When I was 8 my brother was hit by a lady doing 60 in a 25 when he was on his motorcycle. It ruined his life and financially ruined my family for years. It was 2 years before my brother could walk again. He had 37 operations to fix what was left of his leg. Today, almost 30 years later, he's still in pain and his leg and foot will never be the same. His personality will never be same because of it, too. I realize that it's economical to ride a bike and it can be exhilarating. But to me, when I'm going down the road, I would rather be surrounded by something (metal? plastic? Are cars made of metal anymore?) on all four sides.

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

Even if the truck ran the light, the cyclist would've had to have been speeding to slam into the truck hard enough to do that to his helmet. If he had been sitting still waiting for the light to change then it couldn't have possible happened the way it did. I honestly suspect the cyclist is at fault. Even if the truck ran the light you should be paying enough attention, and it isn't much, to notice the Semi. Just my opinion though. The facts will come out in the next week.

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

Very possible. No matter what happened I cannot see how the cyclist could miss the turning semi trailer. Even if the semi ran the light, it's a hell of thing to ignore.

MattressMan 6 years, 11 months ago

My turn to speculate...Perhaps inattentive driving on both parties part. Truck turns south (with the green arrow) not realizing the right hand lane was closed. Maybe he then had to stop and manuver to get in the left lane. Meanwhile the biker (not knowing the truck is stopped or extrmely slow) is timing the signal change believing the truck would be clear of the intersection by the time he enters.OrNot sure of that particular intersection and how the lights are set but there are some intersections in this town where you can have two green arrows. One of the turn lanes clears of traffic and the other still has turning traffic. The cleared lane turns red and the traffic going straight with the green arrow is given the green light. So with that scenario perhaps the biker believed when he saw the green arrow turn red from his direction he believed the other green arrow would change as well thus he continued at his rate of speed into the intersection.logic says ... In my 20+ years in Lawrence, I have never seen the east-west straight lights turn to red to be followed by the east-west turn lanes getting a green arrow.I know you are talking about 23rd and Iowa but that damn light in front of Home Depot does this exact thing.Bottom line is defensive driving is a must for all especially cyclist. Be Aware Motorcycles Are Everywhere!

epuck 6 years, 11 months ago

As the brother of Doug Puckett I would like thank you to the police and emergency services of Lawerence for everything they have done to help my sister and myself to get Doug home Thank you!

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 11 months ago

"No kidding. I think that having a law that makes motorcyclist's use their headlights at ALL times, (even during the day) could keep a lot of this from happening."All motorcycles manufactured after 1973 already have daytime headlights. There's no way to turn the headlight off.

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like either the trucker or the cyclist tried to beat the other. My guess would be the cycle, trucks typically don't have to rush through things.

BBFantastic 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for letting me know, Multi. Appreciated.

JayViking 6 years, 11 months ago

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

What was my moronic statement? The fact that a cyclist could be at fault? I realize no one in this town wants to admit a cyclist could be at fault, but it is possible. No one is perfect, even you precious cyclist.

morganlefay 6 years, 11 months ago

I knew I'd manage to piss someone off with my post. Mission accomplished for the day. Too bad the truth hurts, trinity. Deal with it.

redwaggoner 6 years, 11 months ago

Did it ever occur to anyone that the trucker may have entered the intewrsection on a green arrow and it changed after the cab passed the traffic signal? If this is the case, the biker was anticipating a green light for him long before the trucker entered the intersection and as many people do (myself included) :"goose" their vehicle to make a green light to avoid stopping. I dunno, as i live in another town but do know that intersection very well as I grew up .in Lawrence (happiness is Lawrence Kansas in your rear view mirror) It is a very dangerous intersection to say the least. It always has been and will continue to be so.

Puckett7 6 years, 11 months ago

Please let me apologize on behalf of my uncle and our entire family for the delay in people's day. I'm sorry that it was such a hassle that he died on your route. Perhaps some of the delay is related to the difficulties in identifying his body.To answer someone's question: yes, he did reside in Indiana and was traveling through on a bike trip. He was an experienced rider, and bought himself the new bike after my grandparents died in the last couple of years.I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment reading the posts here, but as our family is spread through out the country it is hard to get news from LE there. However, we greatly appreciate their efforts and those of the paramedics and other response team members. We don't know who was "at fault" as you are all so intently speculating about, only that we have lost a member of our family who was a son, brother, uncle and friend. Whatever the light pattern was or is we will miss him. Thank you for your condolences.

gphawk89 6 years, 11 months ago

"I honestly suspect the cyclist is at fault. Even if the truck ran the light you should be paying enough attention, and it isn't much, to notice the Semi."Huh?? It's the cyclist's fault for not avoiding someone making an illegal turn in front of him? What kind of twisted logic is that?So if I had not swerved hard onto the shoulder this morning to avoid a car that suddenly decided to share the same lane as my motorcycle, it would be my fault for not avoiding him? This happens to me about once a week. Automobile and truck drivers: please, please be aware of your surroundings before turning left across oncoming traffic, changing lanes, pulling out from side streets, etc.

BBFantastic 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, are you serious??? What exactly did I violate? Don't think so.

short_one 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, I, too, am struggling to figure out why it took 6+ hours to reopen the intersection. I mean, you all weren't even there and you have already figured out exactly how this all went down, including traffic flow, fault and cause of death. Doesn't seem like the trained professionals (EMTs, police, accident specialists, coroner and HazMat folks, to name a few) really needed 6+ hours to reconstruct the accident and cleanup the scene.sarcasm here

ClearSkies 6 years, 11 months ago

Trobs- I agree with you that the motorcyclist might have been speeding, based off of the damage to the helmet, but I'm wondering if maybe the cyclist went under the semi. Such a thing could easily cause such damage to the helmet, and end Mr.Puckett's life.

METALQ2 6 years, 11 months ago

the helmet was crushed by the weight of the tires that ran over it. God bless all involved and Prayers to you.

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 11 months ago

dani36921 (Anonymous) says: It frustrates me that so many people are complaining about the closure of the intersection. I was at the intersection 3 minutes after it happened. I saw him laying there covered with police cars everywhere. They could have taken days for all i cared. This stuff doesn't happen everyday. I man died, and some people continue to focus on why the investigation took so long instead of the real issue.--------------------------------------------------------------------------Good call dani.It just goes to show how selfish people have become lately.

dani36921 6 years, 11 months ago

Luxor 6 years, 11 months ago

I went through that intersection about a hour ago a and watched a Bud Light truck run the red turn signal as the truck turned to go south from 23rd St.

twofrogs5846 6 years, 11 months ago

I believe every one has done something stupid on the road and don't tell me you haven't because unless you have never driven their has been a situation where you are the one at fault. besides that my boyfriend has a motorcycle and let me tell you motorcycle drivers are scared to death to get on the road with all of you incased in your cars you don't look you don't signal and you text while you drive. not saying every one is like this but as much as i drive back and forth to o.p. and around town the majority of car AND semi's don't care how they drive or if there is a motorcycle around. i believe that any one who says that motorcyclists are irresponsible as a whole needs to talk to a couple of them because they will hear horror stories upon horror stories i know my boyfriend has quite a few and he's only had one for a year. i have watched him almost get crushed 3 times!!!!! i guess i am just trying to say everyone needs to be more careful and less judgmental. and i am so sorry for the family my heart goes out to you. LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE. come on people lets keep everyone alive!!!!!!

handley 6 years, 11 months ago

As a former motorcycle owner I know that cycles are not visible on the road and they have to drive very defensively. I am so sorry that a person lost his life so take this as a sad reminder to BE VERY CAREFUL AND WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING OUT THERE.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 11 months ago

Ron Holzwarth 6 years, 11 months ago

Every one of us has missed a terrible accident AT LEAST ONCE due to SHEER LUCK!!! Not everyone is as lucky as YOU!!!

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

BBFantastic 6 years, 11 months ago

snake_eyes 6 years, 11 months ago

sammiesays 6 years, 11 months ago

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

People who are inconvenienced by the intersection being closed are the same ones who pass me, going 65, on K-10 doing 75-80 only to have me pull up next to them on 23rd street. Is that extra 2 minutes really worth it?

gphawk89 6 years, 11 months ago

"I think that having a law that makes motorcyclist's use their headlights at ALL times, (even during the day) could keep a lot of this from happening."Motorcycle headlights ARE on at all times. Motorcycles have been built this way as long as I can remember - no way to turn off the headlights.

countrygirl 6 years, 11 months ago

Ok, rotten luck, but still luck. I only asked because I know some people in Lawrence with the same last name. Very sorry for the family and if it happens to be someone I know I'd like to extend that sorrow in a more personal manner.

DreamWarrior 6 years, 11 months ago

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

Nearly forgot. The police are piecing together a fatality involving a very busy intersection and two vehicles of vastly different sizes. This isn't CSI, it takes time to gather all the pieces up so they can figure out what exactly happened.

FMT6488 6 years, 11 months ago

1. Motorcycles have a constant "on" headlight! All street legal motorcycles have had this feature since the early seventies. 2. Riders of ANY two - wheeled vehicle in this country learn not to ride "defensively"; they ride "paranoid"! Especially when in a town or city. The simple fact is : Most drivers of cars, trucks, semis, etc. do not LOOK for smaller vehicles. 3. The motorcycle in the picture is a "touring" bike. Only serious motorcycle riders would buy one - the rider of the bike was probably an experienced rider. While I admit that it is part of human nature to speculate on the cause of the accident, I think a little consideration for the family and friends of the victim should be used as well.

RKLOG 6 years, 11 months ago

I once saw an ant eat a large potato chip, all by itself.

igby 6 years, 11 months ago

The 6 hours may have been to check the light programing too make sure that the traffic light was timed right. They may have ran a test on the light programming to see if the light malfunctioned during time intervals. Computers aren't perfect as you well know.

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

Larger vehicles turning left kill more bikers than any other type of accident. Right of way does not matter. Dead is dead.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 11 months ago

Some people should think before they post. If you would not want these things said about your loved one then you should not post it about someone elses loved one. "treat others the way you wish to be treated" our thoughts and prayers to both families involved.

yellowhouse 6 years, 11 months ago

I think there must have been some kind of motorcycle convention maybe in Topeka over the weekend? There were a lot of cycles going through Perry heading towards Topeka on Sunday.

ClearSkies 6 years, 11 months ago

I drove by this morning on my way to the Dr.'s office and saw the big mark in the road where the motorcycle had obviously landed. Last night there were so many police cars still there around 9 pm that you could see the flashing lights from highway 59. My stomach turns to think that this horrible chain of events may not be over with. My prayers go to everyone associated with any of the fatality accidents that have striked around us lately.

countrygirl 6 years, 11 months ago

Did Mr. Puckett have any relatives in the Lawrence area? Or was it just luck that brought him here?

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, since the left lane turn goes first at that intersection and the truck was turning left his light (on 23rd) would have been red before the motorcyclist's light, eastbound on 23rd, would have changed to green. I see a lot of inaccurate assumptions in the trash typing here.1) The motorcyclist had to be speeding cause he would've seen the truck. It appears the truck cut in front of the rider and I'll wager the bike was close to the intersection when the driver did it. If you haven't ridden you have no idea how often it happens. I had a guy look me in the eye - that's when I knew he would - and he did!2) The trash about the grades and poor visibility. The truck sits pretty high guys.3) It's the motorcyclists fault cause he should have been paying more attention. Look folks the guy was from Indiana you don't ride a Goldwing (that's what it looks like) from Indiana without having some savvy when it comes to riding!4) On almost every left turn light South to Iowa from 23rd somebody, sometimes two, runs the red!It's the same old stuff I've heard far too many times and for far too many fallen comrades, "Honest Officer I didn't see him and he was going too fast."Kill a biker? Go to jail!

StirrrThePot 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, now we can put a name to the victim. My heart breaks for him and all those who know and love him. My thoughts and prayers go to them all.

unknownperson 6 years, 11 months ago

this is y we need camras on stoplights stupid people who dont know how to drive run red lights

family 6 years, 11 months ago

In response to all the comments. Along with puckett7 I too am the neice of Douglas Puckett or Dougie as we knew him.He is my mothers brother. I have been reading these comments and want to thank all of you that have put us in your prayers. On the other hand, some of you have been debating on how this could have occured. I understand that there are questions but you have to remember that this is a real person we are talking about. I also noticed a link posted to his myspace page which threw me for a loop. My mother and uncle and I reside in Arizona but grew up in Indiana. As Puckett7 stated we all live across the country. The news reached my mother at 6:00 o'clock (AZ time) yesterday evening via a knock on the front door by a police officer. I shortly recieved the frantic phone call from her. Doug has an older brother and older sister. His parents have passed within the last few years. He has several neices and newphews and great nieces and newphews who will miss him dearly. Several members of the family have found this site and have suffered through the video to grasp for answers to how this could happen.Doug was a fun, loving, free spirit who loved photography and traveling. I hope some of this information will give you a different perspective on the person who he was and not just a fatality who held up traffic on a tuesday evening. Again Thankyou for all your prayers. To my uncle Dougie; we love you very much and you will be greatly missed!!!

family 6 years, 11 months ago

Reading my post I would like to state that my Uncle Doug lived in Indiana but my other uncle lives in Arizona. Also, my heart goes out to those who had to witness such a tragedy.

pimp11 6 years, 11 months ago

Whats going on with the truck driver? Being held for questioning or let go? Sorry for your families loss. I feel that most on this site are using this accident as a way to complain about the traffic in Lawrence. Which to a point, the complaining is warranted. BUT seriously every single one of you has been complaining about this or complaining about that. Someone lost their life in that intersection yesterday. Pull the "what if card" on you all.... What if it was your brother, sister, father, mother, wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, grandpa/ma.....or what if it was YOU. How would you want others to act towards your feelings and needs. I know that one bad apple ruins them all. But regardless if you live in a trailer and have no education or if you live in a mansion and are a rocket scientist....Think about what you are typing before you type it. A life was lost --- and for the most part it didnt affect any of you ( excluding family) except for a delay in your traffic.

lisa55 6 years, 11 months ago

My heart is simply breaking right now. Not only was there the loss of life, but the "trucker" that was involved is my brother and is absolutely devastated. I received the phone call hours after the accident from a very broken man. He has been a driver for over 30 years with some of those years as the Safety Director for a major company. He is a very safe and conciencious driver because he had to investigate accidents with semi drivers for many years. He is a Christian man and is devastated at the loss of a life. Everyone needs to send prayers and support to both families, because there is so much more involved in this than traffic delays. Many lives have been touched with heartache and loss.

nickdanger00 6 years, 11 months ago

Puckette7I am deeply sorry for your lost of Dougie. I knew him from the mill. I thought he was a great guy. He will be greatly missed.

pimp11 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the information "lisa55"...... This whole ordeal just sounds like everyone was at the wrong place at the wrong time. There are "worse people" out there in this world that deserves something like this to happen to them. Always seems to happen to the good apples. Be Safe everyone.

neoquixote 6 years, 11 months ago

i was there when the accident occurred.I was driving south on Iowa, heading to the theater for a movie named the Journey to the center of the earth which would start at 4:30 pm. It was about 4:15 pm or so when I approach the intersection with 23rd. I missed the yellow light and have to wait for next green, during which I was looking at the guys doing road work at the north west corner of the intersection, about 3 meters away from me.suddenly, some bro among the worker jumped and I realized some special thing occurred. Then I move my eyes ahead toward south, I saw the big truck was making it's left turn from 23Rd to south Iowa, and the motorcycle was threw away toward north from the tail of the truck, the motorcycle rider was threw a couple of steps further north from the cycle. I think the poor guy died immediately in the accident because his body had no movement during the time when I was waiting for the traffic regulation. that was very bad experience, May Gad bless him.

Tammy Yergey 6 years, 11 months ago

lisa55, I thought of just that. How devastating it must be for the driver, too. No matter what happened, as none of us know yet, we all know that no one intended for anyone to get hurt. I also feel for those who may have witnessed the accident as that would be hard to live with. I'm so sorry for your brother. My prayers are with both families.

peach_plum_pear 6 years, 11 months ago

I'd like to express my condolences to everyone affected by this accident. Living through an event like this has to be heart-wrenching, and you are all in my thoughts.To our ljworld posting community: please, please stop all the speculation and blaming. Your politics don't belong here. Get over yourselves. We've had a lot of traffic deaths this summer, and every discussion ends up turning into a big blame game, using a tragic accident as a political football. Here's what I've learned from all our tragic traffic fatalities:Safety truly is first, and it is every one's responsibility. If you are on the road, no matter what your vehicle, you've got to be alert and patient and equip yourself with the necessary safety devices, as well as follow all traffic laws.I don't know what caused this accident, but I know what I can do to prevent accidents in the future.

lisa55 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you so much pimp11 and horsegirl for your understanding comments. It is always so easy for someone who does not know the circumstances to lay blame on who was at fault, but no one understands the pain of the family who lost a loved one or the family of the driver who was involved. The family of the cyclist will have to live with the loss of their loved one and the circumstances of the loss, as my brother will have to see this accident the rest of his life. He has been accident free in his 30 years plus as a driver and now will have to live with the fact that someone lost their life no matter who was at fault. I just hope this opens everyone eyes to the fact that in a split second lives can change forever, so be ever so careful with the decisions you make. Pimp11 said it best..."Be Safe everyone"!

myopinion 6 years, 11 months ago

I lost a brother at age 46 in a construction accident. He fell from a scaffold: 100% his fault. All it took was one wrong step. That is true for all of us. Regardless of fault, my thoughts and prayers to both families.

shiney1 6 years, 11 months ago

I recieved a phone call from the IN police, asking for my help in finding Dougs family just a couple hours after the crash. I was married briefly to Doug 20 years ago. He was a very unique person. Even though our marriage was unable to continue, he was very special and frequently in my thoughts. After working with the police to find his family, it made me realize more how short life really is. A small piece of advice.... family and friends are all we really have in this life. They should be treasured and not forgotten.To all the Puckett family... I am so sorry for your loss. My family & I will keep you all in our prayers.

igby 6 years, 11 months ago

If he was wearing shades sometimes when the sun is shining directly into the traffic light, the Yellow and red are less noticeable than the green. The green really looks like its on but its not. The shades or face shield with the direct sunlight could have caused him to misjudge the light.

lisa55 6 years, 11 months ago

To the family of Douglas Puckett,My heartfelt and deepest condolences for the loss of your loved one. My thoughts and prayers are with each of you.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm shocked what I wrote late this afternoon has been deleted.I am of the opinion the last place family and friends of somebody killed would be here blogging.Why my opinion has to be deleted is pretty amazing.I am not passing judgement on the deceased or the other person involved. In fact reading all the posts by people it sure shows me they are putting "blame" without having the entire facts UNLESS you were at the intersection and saw this happen. Otherwise, the posts are simple blathering about "what I think happened."

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 11 months ago

I forgot to mention why this newspaper allows Myspace accounts and other very personal information to be posted is mind boggling. That sort of thing should be off limits.

myopinion 6 years, 11 months ago

I am of the opinion the last place family and friends of somebody killed would be here blogging.You have to put yourself in their shoes--it sounds like they live in other states. They have to make unexpected arrangement now to travel to another state suddenly, maybe take off work, buy airline tickets, make arrangements at home to be gone for awhile. I think it is understandable that they would, while they are waiting, try to find the local newspaper and gather information that is probably driving them crazy while they wait. When something like this happens, and you can't be there right away, the waiting is in slow motion and I think I would also investigate any means of information. There is nothing wrong with that. It's the communication that is available in our world today.

hammysammy 6 years, 11 months ago

I blogged on here earlier about traffic signals, and feel the need to express (again) my most heartfelt condolences to EVERYONE impacted by this tragedy... I woke early this morning and all I could think about all day was the images I had yesterday at work, for several hours of this event. The amount of distress I feel regarding this occurence, simply as a human and a mother, breaks my heart for all involved, including the truck driver, whom I saw and was completely distraught. Business was at a standstill at the roads were closed (which is FINE) COME ON PEOPLE!!! I just want everyone to know I am thinking of them in this time. Families, passersby, go hug your kids, call your parents. Life is fleeting. I hope everyone is having an alright day. I sincerely do, and I really am thinking of you all.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 11 months ago

None2....I said no such "digusting insults." You are all caught up in the drama of blogging.Prove to me that MOST people were outraged. Take a poll and post it.