Archive for Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Deadly motorcycle accident causes closure of 23rd and Iowa intersection

One person is dead following an accident between a motorcycle and a semi-truck. The accident happened around 4:30 this afternoon at 23rd and Iowa and shut down the busy intersection for most of the evening.

July 15, 2008, 4:32 p.m. Updated July 15, 2008, 10:34 p.m.

A motorcycle rider was killed Tuesday afternoon about 4:30 p.m. at 23rd and Iowa streets. The cyclist, who was wearing a helmet was struck by a semi-truck as he tried to make a turn.

One person was killed after a semitrailer collided with a motorcycle shortly before 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. Lawrence police confirmed the motorcyclist, described as a white male, died in the accident at 23rd and Iowa streets.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Bill Cory could provide no more information about the incident or the victim, but said he expected to release more details Wednesday. A helmet lay near the motorcycle at the accident scene. The man who died was the lone passenger on the motorcycle.

The intersection of 23rd and Iowa streets remained closed nearly six hours after the accident.

It was the second fatality in less than a week involving a large vehicle colliding with a two-wheeled vehicle. On Saturday, a Lawrence man was killed on Sixth Street after his scooter was hit by a city bus.

On June 28, a Douglas County Sheriff's deputy was killed while riding his bicycle near Eudora. Also in June, a man died in a motorcycle crash near Lone Star Lake.

John Lavery, who works at CVS at 23rd and Iowa streets, said the rash of such deaths made him nervous.

"It's been pretty regular that this has been happening," he said. Though he doesn't ride a motorcycle, he knows people who do.

"I have a roommate and a friend that both drive motorcycles. It just kind of makes me nervous and sick," he said.

That same nervous sentiment may have area residents asking what is going on, said Marcia Epstein, director of Headquarters Counseling Center.

"When people hear about really tragic and violent incidents in our community, and when their perception is that those kinds of incidents are more frequent than what is expected in this size of a community ... for most people, there's an increased sense of fear and sadness and anxiety," she said.

She said witnessing an accident scene can be traumatic, but it's important to find people to confide in, whether it is a family member, a religious leader or a therapist.

"It's good to seek our people that have special roles if you're really having a hard time," she said.

- Staff writer Janet Reid contributed to this report.

Comments

workinghard 6 years, 9 months ago

brother_cumulus----------I don't even know any truckers at the moment and even I find your comment offensive. The ones I did know in the past never did meth. Unless you know for a fact the truck driver was on drugs, your statement is unfair. crosstown--we heard the motorcycle driver was not from Lawrence, can't swear it's true, just what we heard.

persevering_gal 6 years, 9 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the motorcyclist and the driver of the semi. It was very emotional to drive past the scene.Lets all be supportive of each other, not blame anyone, and keep moving forward while being cautious on the roads. We're Lawrence, and we are a community. Lets do this together.

bad_dog 6 years, 9 months ago

"I was admiring his beautiful red Honda with three wheels."-yhI could be wrong, but that looks like a 2 wheeled Honda Goldwing to me-not a trike. My condolences to all involved.

John Spencer 6 years, 9 months ago

My Armchair detective bone says, someone ran a red light.....

chapdaddy 6 years, 9 months ago

finish the g d SLT and lighten up the traffic on 23rd d*mmit!!!!!!

msskansas2u 6 years, 9 months ago

I happened to drive by this accident right after it happened, it was very bad. The motorcyclist did not survive, my condolences go out to his/her family. I feel for the semi driver as well, regardless of who was at fault, I couldnt imagine living with that guilt.

BaxterC 6 years, 9 months ago

Me and a friend drove by after it happened, the poor guys helmet was thrown far away. The police hadn't even bothered to move his body yet. That intersec is pretty dangerous when people try to make the yellow lights.

MarianKay 6 years, 9 months ago

Try being a pedestrian! It is dangerous to even walk. Everyone--cyclists, walkers, drivers-- please pay attention.My condolences to all involved

George_Braziller 6 years, 9 months ago

Did you even read anything before you hopped onto your keyboard? Nope. It clearly said that it was a semi. Oh, wait. You're a troll. My bad.____dweezil222 (Anonymous) says: Probably another "T" bus.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

I've already configured my LJW comment defaults for auto-condole....

KsTwister 6 years, 9 months ago

Journal World: When are you going to turn this off? Shameless. Evidently you need comments for the next article?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 6 years, 9 months ago

My son's car was hiit and totaled at the intersection of 9th andTennessee a few days ago. Woman ran a red light. Now there is the hassle of a rental car, and a settlement, and finding a new ride. I don't know what is going on, but the increase of traffic accidents and near-misses is drasticlly increasing and I put a lot of it on the use of those damned cell phones while driving. Do you really need to make that call while driving and drivel on about your girlfriend, your lousey job, your tax return, your supper tonight or god-knows-what and be guilty of injuring or worse, killing someone due to your inattention to managing a fast moving assualt vehicle in traffic???? It is time for people to get their heads on right, but of course this does not apply to YOU, eh???????

Piggles 6 years, 9 months ago

The real scary thing is that I went through that intersection about an hour earlier on my way to Hyvee to go pay my Aquila bill. It's unfortunate that another person has lost their life, due to carelessness or not paying attention or hurrying "to beat the light" or whatever the reason is. I'm not sure of a worse summer for Lawrence than this year and I have lived here my whole life. Please those of you on bikes, scooters, motorcycles, mopeds or anything- wear your helmets and use caution!!! Your family and friends shouldn't have to go through what the friends and family of those who have lost their lives this summer go through. Please have a safe summer- what's left of it!

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 9 months ago

Forgot to say my condolences to the family. It's been a sad summer in Lawrence, to be sure.

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 9 months ago

dialupandy, i hear what youre saying and youre makin sense to me.

em1 6 years, 9 months ago

I got that, I was referring to the populace in general. For every helmet I've seen recently I've seen 10 or 15 without.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

TheEleventhStephanie: "Well tang_reasoner, do whatever it takes to make you feel like you're better than everyone else here."Eh?

brother_cumulus 6 years, 9 months ago

always4ever 6 years, 9 months ago

You may have a point about cell phones.....but.........it probably wasn't a factor in this accident or the mo-ped fatality accident. True that we all need to be careful and attentive!

stanggirl 6 years, 9 months ago

I drove up on it and it did not look like a good situation at all...I'm really shaken up by what I saw and pray for all those involved in such a tragic accident.

kujayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

My four year old came within an inch of being hit on his bike this last Sunday. We were waiting for the crossing light to turn so we could cross the street. Some lady in a blue Volvo with a jayhawk tag in front takes off and makes her right turn even though we had been sitting there about 3 minutes waiting for the light to turn. My son had started walking across the cross walk and she literally missed him by a few inches. She still doesn't realize how close she was to hitting my four your old. Drivers today are terrible. Too many distractions.

Piggles 6 years, 9 months ago

Wow- what's happening to Lawrence this summer????? I'm almost scared to death to even read the news anymore! Sunday going east on K-10, there was a motorcycle that was actually driving between two cars because I guess he felt they were going too slow. He passed them and several other cars right down the middle so he could get ahead and he wan't wearing a helmet.

msskansas2u 6 years, 9 months ago

I personally have driven past many a fatallity accident in my time living in California, still driving past the accident today made me quite nauseous, no one should ever have to see what I and I'm sure many others saw. What makes me curious by some of the comments on the page is how unaffected some of us locals have become by the death of another. Especially in the recent weeks. Lets all be respectful of the families of the deceased and those involved, and be reminded of the humanity in the situations.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

rdragon: "Multidisciplinary very good point. If any of you have lived in this town for a period of time. It is a very good chance it could be a family member or friend of someone we know."... or, even if you've only lived for a period of time... it "could just be" another sentient being.The word empathy comes to mind.( BTW, all you DISsenters out there, don't mistake my flippancy for lack of sympathy... you do us BOTH a DISservice. )

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

jeez people at least wait for a few facts first, get a grip on your negative.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 9 months ago

So, which one ran the red light? Hopefully everyone is OK either way.

shirinisb 6 years, 9 months ago

Personally I think that a lot of gas conservation news stories fuel the idiot driving. They encourage people to coast instead of stopping. I haven't wrecked a car in 10 years but I the past few months I have had to avoid them every mile. Its getting old.

domino 6 years, 9 months ago

Baxter - your comment of "the police hadn't even bothered to move his body yet" is off base - the police do not move the body - EMS personnel or coroner does - even at that, there are certain regulations that have to be followed before a body can be moved. My condolences to the family.

hwarangdo 6 years, 9 months ago

Motorcycles, scooters, bicycles ... very dangerous territory riding them in a culture that has grown up with cars. People simply don't 'see' them, nor look for them. Our psyche isn't programmed to see much other than a car or truck. Sad but true. If you have riden anything other than a car you'll know what I'm talking about. Not all accidents are caused by the car's drivers; however, many of them are - turning left in the path of an oncoming motorcycle, failing to stop behind, pulling out in front of, etc. Granted, some cyclists are careless, but so are people who drive a 2-ton car. These kind of accidents have always been a problem. Until the gas prices go so high that we ALL have to bike, it will continue to be a problem."Beware - Motorcycles Are Everywhere!"

George_Braziller 6 years, 9 months ago

What's your point? Someone is dead and you're smacking people because they are talking about it? Don't YOU have anything better to do?___News_to_me (Anonymous) says: Don't you people have anything better to do?

Tammy Yergey 6 years, 9 months ago

Piggles, I saw a motorcycle driver doing the same thing on K-10 last Wednesday. Driving between cars, weaving in and out of traffic. Crazy. The problem is more motorcycles on the road equals more accidents. Just pure statistics. We've actually stopped and helped two accidents on Highway 40 in the last 3 months... both hit the rumble strips and lost control. Luckily they were both okay, just banged up. Very sad though. My husband and I used to have a Goldwing almost identical to the one in the wreck. Beautiful bike. But so easy to get hurt on. So we sold it. I feel for all those who are suffering now.

Lori Nation 6 years, 9 months ago

I have a teenager turning 16 and she wants her license to drive to school and back. I don't think that will be happening any time soon. I don't to sit here and worry every time i hear sirens going off. I think they should up the age on drivers permits and license's. There are too many crazy drivers now days.

em1 6 years, 9 months ago

Not for nothing, but it amazes me how eager everyone is to defend the cyclist. With the increase in the number of cycles of anytype recently, I have also seen an increase in stupid cycle riders. I watch and am VERY careful of them, my dad rode a cycle for years. Had a guy on a cycle who was driving ON THE SIDEWALK down Iowa decide to cut across the grass and onto the road right in front of me without looking. I am shocked I didn't hit him. Cyclist last week was shown to have been at fault and possibly intoxicated. GRanted, there are idiots in cars who have not looked at all while I was riding a bicycle or walking across Iowa when I had the right of way (I had the walk across signal) and I've had people try to make a right on red straight into me. But to assume one person is at fault when there are idiot cycle riders AND idiot car/truck drivers is just getting no whereI can understand the economics of riding a cycle of any sort but PLEASE take a safety course and WEAR a HELMET.Speaking of which, I find it amazing that in order to meet the law here a bicyclist has to wear a helmet, but drivers of motorcycles, scooters, etc. do not.My sympathies go to the family.

FFAF 6 years, 9 months ago

This is really depressing. We've gotta pull together and be a little more careful. I wish there was an easy answer.

M. Lindeman 6 years, 9 months ago

kugradstudent 6 years, 9 months ago

This is so sad. I passed by the accident a little while ago, What a way to go! The body was still there; RIP. My heart goes out to his family and friends.. Be safe folks and believe me catching the next green light might just be saving a life.. yours or someone else's.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Wtf?! Seriously, is the apocalypse coming or something?

institches 6 years, 9 months ago

You think it is bad now? Wait until the students return.Can we all just be a little more cautious on the roadways, please? Thank you.

yellowhouse 6 years, 9 months ago

I just saw this guy at the gas station Sunday. I was admiring his beautiful red Honda with three wheels. It was the most quiet motorcycle I ever seen. I even commented how safe one that big would be. He looked so small sitting on it. I don't like motorcycles but thought...Now I could ride on that one....I just changed my mind I am in shock!

M. Lindeman 6 years, 9 months ago

I happened to be by there after it happened. Douglas county sheriffs were inspecting the trailer of the big truck. They were inspecting an area of the trailer, it looks like rider might have went under the trailer. We should all pray for those involved, and try to enjoy the time we have here. One never really knows when it will be done.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 9 months ago

PapaB 6 years, 9 months ago

Everyone drive carefully. What's the saying? - these come in threes?

indythinker 6 years, 9 months ago

As a rider, it pains me to see these types of tragedies. I know of an accident yesterday where a rider "ran" a yellow and clipped the rear of an SUV that was in the intersection making a left. The guy has a 10% chance. Personally, I can't count the times I've almost become someones hood ornament. Everybody...peace out when you are driving people whether you are driving or riding.Condolences to all involved.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 9 months ago

A semi truck struck a person on a motorcycle. The rider appears not to have survived according to a phone call we received.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

my negative says no. Motorcycle vs semi never a good end.

Kat Christian 6 years, 9 months ago

I had a dodge a few cars at lunch myself. Traffic is crazy out there today. It was a matter of time before a motorcyclist gets it. Not that gas is so high and more bikes are out more accidents will happen. People pay attention, be courteously and keep it moving at a steady pace.

ClearSkies 6 years, 9 months ago

Multidisciplinary "atleast if they can peice together the chain of events it helps"Who are you to generalize EVERYONE's way of dealing with tragedy? Blaming people and saying it's to 'help' feel better about the incident, that is just a poor excuse. There was nothing wrong with the comment I submitted about people focusing on who is at fault. Next time that you want to submit a comment just to start an argument, why dont you talk about someone who actually said something disgraceful.Thanks.

ClearSkies 6 years, 9 months ago

First of all, don't assume that someone ran a red light. In cases like this it seems people only focus on who's fault it was, and not the fact that it was a fatality and people out there are hurting.Dweezil222: Probably another T bus- How can you be so insensitive to the driver of that bus' feelings? It was an ACCIDENT. It was clear that the driver tried to stop by the way the bus was left positioned in the road.My condolences go to the family and friends of everyone involved.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 9 months ago

em,The motorcycle rider WAS wearing a helmet. The helmet looked like it had been badly mangled, according to our reporters on the scene.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

workinghard 6 years, 9 months ago

My son has been looking for a used scooter to buy to save on gas, at this point I'm glad he can't find one. Things will get crazier the 1st of Aug (it always does) when all the new students start flowing in. Not having 19th street done will not help. I think I will stay off the main streets as much as possible that month.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

Multidisciplinary: "Yep, I understand compound grief is a bad thing. Let's not forget a woman was lifeflighted from around Baldwin today. My our thoughts be with her family too."As you were composing this, I was seeking a mortality rate via Internet search. Couldn't quickly find one, but lives must be ticking away like the second-hand on a clock. Folks, this is the human condition. Why mire it in petty convention and then lambast those who depart from expectation (posturing)?There ARE other valid responses beyond: "My condolences to...."

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

It was a bad scene. I saw a tarp and a helmet lying about 20' away.My heart goes out to all involved.A bypass may have prevented this kind of accident.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm confused as to why the intersection is STILL closed.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 9 months ago

My condolences to the family.What is going on in Lawrence? No more... we have had more than enough

Tammie Bryant 6 years, 9 months ago

Why did Lawrence ban Semi's on 31st street? It seems like a bad idea to cause more congestion on an already congested street. Could this accident have been avoided if Semi's could use 31st street?

lrc 6 years, 9 months ago

I just passed through the intersection on the way home from work (didn't know or I would have gone a different way) and there was an van in the intersection with some sort of alcohol investigation logo on the side. That can't be good...

Penny_Bullock 6 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't there a letter to the editor on comments like these on stories like these in today's paper? Penny

Hwy50 6 years, 9 months ago

I went through the intersection shortly after it occurred. No, the person on the motorcycle did not survive.

6 years, 9 months ago

Another tragedy :( Unfortunately I feel motorcycle accidents are only going to increase. More people, that have not acquired the proper skill, are going to purchase them because of the price of gas. a motorcycle safety course is a very good investment. I got my first motorcycle when I was a kid in 72' I sold my motorcycle a few years back. It's dangerous enough but now there are too many cell phone users and SUV's on the road for me.

sunflower1990 6 years, 9 months ago

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. My condolences to the family. I dread looking at the breaking news now.

ClearSkies 6 years, 9 months ago

msskansas2u-Agreed. It's unfortunate that people focus only on who's fault it is. It never seems to be important that someone out there is miserable.

News_to_me 6 years, 9 months ago

Don't you people have anything better to do?

HighScore 6 years, 9 months ago

This has been a very tragic summer in Lawrence. I have read too many stories involving motorcycle and bicycle accidents to be sure. I have even had the unfortunate luck of seeing two bad accidents happen directly in front of me. Luckily in both of those instances, no one was tragically hurt.Does anyone else feel that a complete South Lawrence Trafficway would help alleviate traffic in town and reduce these traffic accidents?

yankeelady 6 years, 9 months ago

What on earth is going on in this town this summer? I've been here over 30 years and I can't ever remember this many tragedies in such a short time.

R8RH8RHENDO 6 years, 9 months ago

My thoughts are with the family and friends no matter who it is. Please dont be anyone I know. Be strong.

lifelongresident 6 years, 9 months ago

What does that have to do with the tragedy that just happened? Kubacker needs to take his/her concern to another forum and voice "your opinion" elsewhere.GET A HEART!!!!!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

spiderman: "gee another tragedy in lawrence. not good."Not good? Why?I came across a quote, recently, which I need to explore further.( Sorry, I'm only offering a teaser at this point. )"Joyfully participate in the sorrows of the world... and everything changes."[ Sukhavati ]I post these things, because I think they might be clues....

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 9 months ago

Piggles that's called "lane-splitting" and it's legal here and eslewhere but not everywhere. The rider has to be careful because, as we all know, automobile drivers don't look, don't think and don't care.

gsxr600 6 years, 9 months ago

Speaking as a motorcyclist myself, you the automobile driver is the most clueless and careless. Our biggest danger on the road is your stupidity and inattentiveness . With a phone in one hand, music blazing from your stereo, and your child/friend talking to you at the same time all adds up to an accident waiting to happen. In my car I've been in 3 accidents, none of which were my fault. Luckily one of you people haven't rammed my sportbike from behind.... yet. You all might want to start looking at the road when you drive and pay attention to the others around you. But you probably won't.

Mike Blur 6 years, 9 months ago

Chapdaddy:The semi was stopped on Iowa just south of 23rd headed southbound. If the southern branch of the SLT existed, this driver was not going to use it--no matter no how. The 35 is the major player (INTERNATIONALLY) these days--semi-drivers really don't care about K-10 or any proposed SLT.It's time anonymous, uninformed drones stopped bleating about the SLT. Any fool that thinks the SLT will alleviate Lawrence traffic has no clue about the history of road building in Lawrence.

em1 6 years, 9 months ago

"It is bad enough that another human life was lost, no matter who is at fault! You people need to stop and think how YOU would feel reading these comments that are being made if it was your family member or friend. How would YOU feel?"Honestly, I wouldn't care. I've spent way too long defending the FREEDOM OF SPEECH to start telling people that they can't talk about events.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

gsxr, there are as many stupid car drivers as there are stupid motorcycle riders. can't put the blame all on one group.

drummajor032003 6 years, 9 months ago

I passed this scene about 7 pm tonight. I have personally ran a couple of red lights making a left turn going west off of 23rd on to Iowa. I am not saying anyone ran a red light but the lights don't stay green that long in the west bound turn lane on 23. They seem to only let about 2-3 cars go through at a time The lights in lawrence are really bad about their timing. Some of them will change before you know it. My mom told me today that someone at her work was at the Liquor store at the same time that guy got hit by the T-Bus. They said he was drunk when he came in the store. Please quit talking bad about the T-Bus driver. Someone also stated that the body was not moved. The body is moved after pic are taken for the investigation. Someone else stated that the EMS or coroner remove it and that is correct. Please people have some sympathy quit putting blame on one person. My sympathy goes out to those involved.

igby 6 years, 9 months ago

If you ride a bike in Lawrence you should really stay home, traffic is really heavy this summer and your basically ridding in a war zone with all the potholes. Sell the bike like I ndid and you'll live longer. Back in 1981, I rode a bike every day to work in Houston, Texas. One weekend, my new friend John, wanted me to go with him to the bike store to pick up his bike which he had just had a new back tire put on. I drove him to the bike store to pick up his bike and we headed down Almeda Genoa, to Pasadena; I followed. He was several cars ahead of me. He went to pass a pickup and the truck moved left to pass as well about the same time he was aside the truck. I saw him get clipped and down he went into to ditch bike and him tumbled. I stopped the car and by the time I got to his side he was face down with his head looking up. He was dead. I sold the bike the next week and never rode again. Never.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

my comment above is not about the accident today, but on gsxr's comment as a motorcycle rider.

childof60s 6 years, 9 months ago

I think some of the attention should be directed to the city and their insistance of starting too many street projects at once. Part of the problem is that 19th has been closed all summer. Combine that with Iowa street resurfacing, Mass street resurfacing and countless other projects, and you have a traffic problem. Maybe they should have been painting the intersection at a time other than "rush hour". Just a thought.

igby 6 years, 9 months ago

I was told from a friend of some guy that was behind the semi, that the biker ran the light and the truck clipped him when he was turning. He said it was strange that the biker did not stop. Almost like he was not a regular or knew the intersection that well.

RKLOG 6 years, 9 months ago

A man on campus, Monday, had the gull to try to pass me on the left in his mo-ped, while I was driving my car. This was after the accident on Saturday involving a mo-ped. What is it with these dare devils and their Evil Knievel ways? Seriously, slow down and pretend you are big grownups. If not for yourselves do it for the others around you.

dweezil222 6 years, 9 months ago

chapdaddy (Anonymous) says:SLTFinish it.Now.People are dying.=================I feel compelled to point out that if the city of Lawrence had done anything even mildly resembling city planning, the traffic problems that cause accidents like this simply wouldn't exist, with or without the SLT.

els82 6 years, 9 months ago

To the family and friends of the man lost in this accident, I am very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you all."A bypass may have prevented this kind of accident."I AGREE!!! I drive all the way from one side of town to the other on 23rd to get to work everyday. I cannot stress enough how much safer it would be if they would just build a bypass. How many more accidents and/or fatalities will it take before something is done about it. And for all of you who will probably want to argue this point...I AM NOT SAYING THE LACK OF BYPASS CAUSED THIS ACCIDENT. But if they built one, the accident rate on these roads would decrease! Also, I agree with the many cell phone comments. Everyday I come across SEVERAL people driving like IDIOTS due to the fact that they think they can't turn there heads at the same time to make sure they aren't cutting out in front of someone. Or they can't talk and pay attention to their speed at the same time. Or, people trying to TEXT AND DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME. People, seriously, it doesn't take you that long to get anywhere in this town, so if it is THAT important for you to talk to someone before you get to where you are going...PULL OVER!!!! And to all of you who text and drive at the same time...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?! Would you try and read a book on your way to work to?! THIS IS JUST CRAZY!! Once again, I am not saying someone talking on their cell phone caused this accident. But something went wrong and that poor man lost his life. His family will never see him again. He may have children or even grand children who will miss him greatly. So people...START PAYING ATTENTION!!!

sjschlag 6 years, 9 months ago

Iowa was under construction again today. they had the southbound lane closed at the time of the accident. Tragedies like this should remind everyone out on the road to be even more alert...that includes operators of two wheeled vehicles as well as automobiles. It's really sad and unnerving that there were two fatalities within 4 days of each other. Slow down, give your self extra time to get where you need to go. That 5 minutes of extra time to make the right judgement could save your life or someone else's

David Roberts 6 years, 9 months ago

I have to piggyback on the suggestion to complete roadwork at night. For one thing, it's cooler at night. I imagine that this would be a boost to productivity.When I lived in Pennsylvania, I commuted on I-1 between Philadelphia and New Jersey. At the time, work crews were resurfacing the highway. All of the road work was done at night (when I drove to work)--and because there was very little traffic at 1 or 2 am, it had almost zero impact on commute times. During the day, you would not even know that work was being done. The lanes were open and traffic flowed without delay.I also noticed that at EVERY work site during the course of the resurfacing of I-1, a police officer was conspicuously present. Probably saved a few lives.My prayers are with the families impacted by this tragedy. I hope that we can all look for ways to make our travel safer.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

"The answer is not more stop lights.The answer is not more stop signs.The answer is not cell-phone laws."The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.The answer is blowin' in the wind.( childof60s should know this. )

drummajor032003 6 years, 9 months ago

The intersection is still closed due to the investigation going on. By letting traffic go through there it will mess up any evidence as to the cause of the accident. It takes longer for the investigation when there is a death involved.

M. Lindeman 6 years, 9 months ago

Here is some insight for those who don't and never have operated a tractor/trailer. Truck drivers who are going from one side of town to the other, would use the SLT. Why? because time is money to them. Also, that driver being a commercial driver IS required by the department of transportation to submit to post accident drug test. I just pray that these tragedies will some how sink in and make us all more aware.

Trobs 6 years, 9 months ago

It makes me sick to see how fast fingers are pointed at car drivers for being inattentive.

gsxr600 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm not necessarily putting the blame on one particular group, but from what I've witnessed, a majority of the cases can be attributed to inattentive, crappy driving by automobiles. Your bubble of protection can quickly become your closure and inattentiveness from outside obstacles, a.k.a that guy on the motorcycle next to you.

childof60s 6 years, 9 months ago

gsxr600, I agree to a point. Sometimes it doesn't matter how defensive of a driver you are. Closing several major roads at once only increases problems on the already full alternatives. My ex-husband sold our motorcycle in the early 90's because he felt the city wasn't "motorcyle friendly". I must admit it was a happy day for me, as I was always nervous on the back.To this day I am very aware of cyclists and give them a wide berth.

outtahere 6 years, 9 months ago

What a horrible tradgedy. So why does Mangino signing a contract deserve a "Breaking News" headline? Do these instances really compare? I bring this up because I really want to know, is Mangino really that important to the readers?

em1 6 years, 9 months ago

Childof60s-I agree. In Jacksonville, FL when they were resurfacing I-95, instead of doing the work during the day they would work nights. Lessened the impact during the days by a ton (they started after evening rush and were able to clear the roads again by the morning rush hour). Work was also done faster, as they didn't have to worry about the scorching summer heat effecting the workers. Informed-Not what I was told when I moved here, but ok. Helmets should be mandatory for all. A crash at any speed with no helmet or protection can be deadly.

neoquixote 6 years, 9 months ago

My wife and I were just a couple of meters away from the crash at that time. It was terrible and sad.

storm 6 years, 9 months ago

LJW, how about a running series every Thursday about ALL modes of travel? Don't put in the Sports section like all the other stuff we have dig for. Put it on page 1 or 3, first section This town seriously needs to be more mindful - We're all educated but the sun is in our eyes, and our SUV's sit higher than other cars and bicyclists, you get the idea. Interview someone who has to ride their wheelchair on sidewalks, interview someone who rides their bike to work as examples. These recent tragedies are sad and so unnessary. The students are coming back, it could help raise awareness in our fine city.

Dwight_Schrute 6 years, 9 months ago

To all of you who indicate on this thread and the many others that "your prayers are with the family, etc." Are you really praying for them...? Or do you just say that on the forum to make yourself feel just a little bit better about the turn of tragic events. Seriously.Try this one out for future:James 5:16 "...The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

lifelongresident 6 years, 9 months ago

As a life resident of Lawrence, I am appalled at what I am reading! Does it matter at all that the family members of the individuals involved in this tragic accident may also be reading your comments? I do not think that they need to read the details of the unfortunate soul that is no longer with us.It is bad enough that another human life was lost, no matter who is at fault! You people need to stop and think how YOU would feel reading these comments that are being made if it was your family member or friend. How would YOU feel? i know that it is news but someone lost a best friend, husband, father, son, brother, grandson-whatever the case may be. And it is insensitive to talk of the deceased in such a manner!And the driver of the semi should not be judged either! That individual has to live the rest of his life reliving this horrible incident. We are not to judge people for their actions. I feel the same way about the accident involving the bus and the mo-ped. These families have endured enough tragedy at the moment. Leave them alone. The families of the deceased and the semi driver and family!Lastly, think again of how YOU FOLKS would feel if it was your family member or friend that was involved. Stop being insensitive and crude! The residents of Lawrence, for the most part are caring and giving individuals, except for the few that have made terrible comments. And did not offer any kind of condolences for the famiy of the deceased or for the driver and his family.My condolences to the family of the deceased. Also to the driver of the semi. I hope that everyone gets the assistance that they need. God bless both.

em1 6 years, 9 months ago

asimpleman- I thought I remembered it n PA too (spent a lot of time driving through that state when I lived in CT), but wasn't sure. Many "progressive" states and areas (mostly on the coast) have adopted working at night for many reasons. These are, for the most part, also the same states with helmet laws that apply to all ages, amazingly enough.Drove through the campus, took time to count. Of the 31 cyclists of any type I saw, only one had a helmet (but was literally hitting the bumper of the car in front of him every time he stopped)

YourItalianPrincess 6 years, 9 months ago

My son just bought a motorcycle for his birthday. He bought it to save on gas from driving his truck. Every time I see an accident, I freak out and check out the color of the bike. I called him right after I had heard about it and reminded him...........Please be careful and watch out for others who may not see you. My condolences go out to the family.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

"It is bad enough that another human life was lost, no matter who is at fault! You people need to stop and think how YOU would feel reading these comments that are being made if it was your family member or friend. How would YOU feel?"Better still... the day I meet my untimely demise... I hope you all have a t_r_a bashfest in this space. Let Ram MC. Recall the good times, the bad times, the inane. Give yourself to inanity and use my departure to air some petty personal agenda ( is that triply redundant? ). Blame me for my own selfdestruction-after all, I WAS riding without a helmet AND with no hands-an then complain about the mess I left behind and all the ways in which you were personally inconvenienced by my ineptitude. Most of all, just have fun at my expense... and catch yourself having it. And, then, if you should find a tear welling in one of those eyes so long squinted against the glare of modern life, realize that it's probably just the onions.

jackpot 6 years, 9 months ago

The police maybe called for court some 3-5 years from now. You try to put everything in the report. Even a little bit of something now maybe big in court. The semi driver can have blood tested by DOT. May be going in a bottle also. My heart goes out to all drivers and anyone who saw this. If Kansas law has not changed the coroner is still the one to state the death has occurred.

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

What an awful thing. I'm so saddened by this. My prayers, such as they are, do go out to these families. Maybe I'm not righteous enough for Dwight, but there ya go. Traffic has been uber crazy out there recently. And it's not just car/bike/motorcycle accidents either. My brother totaled his truck Sunday night hitting a deer on 31st St. between Haskell and Louisiana. A freakin' deer!!

ModSquadGal 6 years, 9 months ago

All I have to say is I hope he never saw it coming and didn't know what happened. I'm so sorry for such tragic loss, but it is just part of life in any city or anywhere. I hope his family and friends are left with wonderful memories of his life and not the sadness of how he died.Be careful out there folks.

Evan Ridenour 6 years, 9 months ago

The intersection was still closed off at 10:30 last night, must of been a real bad accident...

Best_of_Whats_Around 6 years, 9 months ago

Wow you people have issues. You blame the city for the road conditions at the same time you blame the city for doing "too many street projects at once". It looks like the Iowa project is finished and the 23rd and Iowa intersection is a lot better from a surfacing and pavement marking standpoint. Hmmm, maybe we should do some major projects in a month or two when 20,000 students are back in town and the roads are more crowded, ya, lets space them out more.

lifelongresident 6 years, 9 months ago

em1I am not telling anyone not to talk about events, but it has gotten out of hand. I actually feel sorry for you that you have no compassion or concern for what your family would go through if they read such comments about you.Defending freedom of speech is a great thing, but a lot of the comments made have not been helpful but truly hurtful. I am done here. Obviously some of you people are uncaring insensitive humans. Have at it. I had my say and I hope that it got through to someone. God Bless everyone and keep you all safe.

lifelongresident 6 years, 9 months ago

to iristh1230I understand the concern. I had a concern about not having a crossing guard at the intersection of 19th and Harper. I wrote a letter to the city asking them to put a guard there. Someone came out and assessed the need for one and a short time later we had a crossing guard there. It just takes a letter of concern. Hope this helps get a crossing guard there for your children

lifelongresident 6 years, 9 months ago

For Pete's Sake! I have never run across such a bunch of insensitive people in my life. This shoud not be a chance to discuss what is wrong with the traffic in Lawrence or who is at fault, motorcycle riders or automobile drivers. A tragedy has happened and your insensitive concerns should be taken up at the next city commission meeting not on this story. I mean, come on! Did any of you read the comment made a friend of the family? Stop this nonsense and take ALL your concerns up with the right people.Most of you people need to get a heart and have some compassion for your fellow man.

Kat Christian 6 years, 9 months ago

I have a friend whose son was killed riding his motorcycle. Known that boy since he was 4 years old. Real nice kid. Just had the bike about 2 months too. Some lady was impatient and tried to beat him out of a turn and slammed right into him - he died instantly. I've known so many people killed on those bikes. I think they're cool, but too dangerous in this day and age. Unless laws are made to protect these drivers more fatalities will occur. Driver's be respectful of bikers. Especially now that gas prices are on the rise and people looking for cheaper transportation. So sorry for the family of this young man. May he rest in peace!

cds 6 years, 9 months ago

notnowdear (Anonymous) says: For all those bosses and functional agenda-meisters, I think you should start allowing 15 minutes of leeway for all! employees and participants. Better have them drive safe than have them try to be on time yet be sorry they are gone or harmed.___Or better yet, they could just leave 15 mins earlier.

kolosci0308 6 years, 9 months ago

I am the victim of the motorcycle accident's next door neighbor. My local police department here in Indiana came knocking on my door last night around 7:45pm. I am completely shocked by the horrible news. Doug was a GREAT man, and would give you the shirt right off of his back if you needed it. He had been riding for several years, and was a very safe rider. He just called us on Thursday (7/10) to see how the weather was here at home and to let us know that he had a blow out on the highway somewhere there in Kansas, and the bike was towed to the local Honda Dealership. That bike was brand new just about, only had 3700 miles on it, did something go wrong with that tire again, or did someone run a red light, we are just trying to gather as much info as possible. We are still trying to make contact with any of Doug's family. He did not have any children or a spouse, but we do know that he has a brother and a sister. So please watch what you say in your comments and just remember that accidents do happen.

Trobs 6 years, 9 months ago

Onlytheone really? "Piggles that's called "lane-splitting" and it's legal here and eslewhere but not everywhere.The rider has to be careful because, as we all know, automobile drivers don't look, don't think and don't care."And it's the guy in the car's fault if the motorcycle gets hurt? If the cycle driver didn't take such a risk then no one could get hurt. Get over yourself and placing blame on the automobile drivers.

BrianR 6 years, 9 months ago

Trobs,Statistically, most M/C accidents result from some one entering the cyclist's right of way. That is, it usually is the car.

Lori Nation 6 years, 9 months ago

I know this has nothing to do this with this. But I have kids that attend the elementary school near Hastings. It is okay for kids to walk to school but it is not safe enough for the city to put a School Crossing Guard there! Maybe this will change the city's mind and the school district to change the distance a child should live away from school to home from 2.5 miles to less. Children shouldn't have to walk in fear!! And parents shouldn't have to worry when at work!!