Archive for Saturday, July 5, 2008

Suspect in killing commits suicide

Friends and family of a Lawrence murder victim hope to keep her memory alive. On Wednesday, friends and family gathered for a celebration of life to remember Jana Mackey.

July 5, 2008, 9:24 p.m. Updated July 5, 2008, 11:15 p.m.

Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, 5'08", 150 lbs. (Date of photo: 2006)

Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, 5'08", 150 lbs. (Date of photo: 2006)

Jana Lynne Mackey

Jana Lynne Mackey

The suspect in the death of a 25-year-old Kansas University student committed suicide while in police custody in New Jersey, according to Lawrence police.

Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, 46, was arrested Friday night in New Jersey, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Paul Fellers.

The Elizabeth, N.J., newspaper, the Star-Ledger, reported in its online edition on Saturday that Garcia-Nunez, who was awaiting extradition, was found hanged to death in his holding cell at Elizabeth police headquarters.

Lawrence police had traveled to Elizabeth, N.J., where Garcia-Nunez's white Ford F-150 pickup was located, unoccupied. They were notified of his death Saturday morning.

"No further information will be available until our investigators return from New Jersey," Fellers said in a news release on Saturday afternoon.

Garcia-Nunez, a Lawrence artist who also went by the name Fito Garche, was suspected in the death of Jana Lynne Mackey. Mackey was a second-year law student at KU from Hays.

On Friday, Lawrence police had issued an arrest warrant charging Garcia-Nunez with second-degree murder.

Mackey's body was found late Thursday night in a home at 409 Mich., where Garcia-Nunez lived. Mackey and Garcia-Nunez had recently broken off a relationship.

According to police, one of Mackey's friends reported her missing about 4:30 p.m. Thursday. About two hours later, Mackey's vehicle was found in the parking lot of Lawrence Memorial Hospital. About 11:30 p.m. Thursday, her body was found inside Garcia-Nunez's home, which is near the hospital.

Mackey's funeral will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Liberty Hall.

Statements from KU

After hearing of the arrest and apparent suicide, KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway and Law School Dean Gail Agrawal issued statements.

"The resolution of this tragedy leaves us all stunned. I hope that everyone will remain considerate of the needs of the family and friends of Jana Mackey during this terrible time," Hemenway said. "I thank the Lawrence Police Department as well as other authorities for their efforts in the investigation."

Agrawal said the law school community continues to be grief-stricken by Mackey's death, and remains focused on getting through the tragedy together.

"While we are shocked at recent developments in the investigation, we remain focused on doing all we can to support her family and friends through this terrible time," Agrawal said. "We are making every effort to inform our students, faculty and staff of available counseling and emotional support. Jana was strongly committed to social justice, and in her memory, we hope to inspire others to share her cause."

Earlier crime

Garcia-Nunez had committed another act of violence in September 2004 involving an ex-girlfriend. A Sept. 21, 2004, Journal-World article reported that prosecutors claimed in court that Garcia-Nunez and his 29-year-old ex-girlfriend had an encounter at a local nightclub. When she returned early the next morning to her home in North Lawrence, he was waiting inside for her with a knife and was under the influence of alcohol.

According to a police report, he choked her, struck her and cut her on the arm with the knife. She notified police after she was able to get away from the scene.

The woman and Garcia-Nunez had been in a two- or three-year relationship that she broke off in May 2004.

Garcia-Nunez was released on parole in August 2006.

Erin Adamson, 29, Lawrence, a close friend of the 2004 victim, said she and others were hopeful Garcia-Nunez would flee town when he was paroled.

Adamson said she saw Garcia-Nunez on Wednesday morning eating breakfast at Milton's, 920 Mass.

"I saw him and I thought, oh no, he was still in town," she said.

Adamson has avoided any contact with him. "People that knew what he had done steered clear of him, because he was intimidating out in public to people," she said.

Adamson described Garcia-Nunez as a "very charming, gregarious," person who was a "good dancer, went out a lot and also had a pretty dark side."

His artwork reflected his "dark side," she said. Themes of depression, sadness and "some kind of overtones of violence, which reflected his current life and his past in Cuba," she said.

Media coverage of his artwork and his attempt at rehabilitation from alcohol and the previous incident distracted the community from the issue of domestic violence, Adamson said. Perhaps stories about him influenced people to think he was a safe person, she said.

"Fito told a lot of people in town that it was a lie and, I think, that his ex-girlfriend was out for revenge or something," Adamson said. "But anyone that reads the police report can see he was in jail for a really good reason. I think a lot of people just didn't realize what he'd done before."

Safety for women

Adamson said Garcia-Nunez's attack on her friend was discussed as an assault instead of an attempted murder.

"If anything, the situation is a good case for the community to be really talking about violence against women when it happens," she said.

Adamson said it is important to "not be shy about" discussing domestic violence.

"I think that the community needed to know that he was dangerous when he was out there," she said.

"It's really sad both what he did and that he's so tortured that he did the things he did," she said. "For his victims who are still alive, I know people are able to breathe easier knowing he can't hurt them again. So I think there is a lot of relief with sadness for a lot of people."

Comments

kai 5 years, 9 months ago

thanks britt408. that helps a lot. have u seen the truck? do you have any idea how long he owned it or what year it was?

ksdivakat 5 years, 9 months ago

krisell....First of all God bless you and Janas family and friends.Secondly...You are right on target with your comments. I have seen comments on here after a death that would shame the bloggers mother!These bloggers should be ashamed of themselves, but they arent because they are arrogant and intrusive and also plain old rude!I pray that her family finds peace with this, and her friends as well, I did not know her, but ant mans death diminishes me for I am of mankind.And to the blogger who tried to warn the LJWorld when this animal attacked his step daughter, I would encourage you to persue this story, go to the KC paper and news shows, also Topeka, the LJworld needs to be held accountable for their "reporting ethics"I will keep the family and her friends in prayer and know that not all lawrencians are jerks!

britt408 5 years, 9 months ago

kai:there was no red stripe on the truck.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 9 months ago

Condolences to her family and friends. One of my closest friends was friends with Jana, and is torn up by this whole mess. My heart aches for everyone involced.

Bossa_Nova 5 years, 9 months ago

OMG! i know the girl he attacked in 2004. in fact i remember seeing this guy at the farmer's market and my buddy said to stay away from him cuz he's f%$$#%ing crazy and that he had just gotten out of jail for the attack on his ex. wow! small town. to Jana's family: i feel for your loss and i hope you are able to get passed the tragedy someday. this is terrible and i know that words cannot express feelings during these horrific events.

Claire Williams 5 years, 9 months ago

Jana was a light in this world. From the time I met her my freshman year at Hash hall to serving together with her through Delta Force in Student Senate, she was a gift to everybody who knew her. And for those users who try to use tragedies like this as a springboard to launch political discussions: shame on you.

chanteuz 5 years, 9 months ago

PS: You could have warned this community and you chose not to do so. Shame on LJ World!!!!!!

chanteuz 5 years, 9 months ago

This newspaper printed an extraordinarily positive article about Fito when he returned from prison/mental ward after trying to murder my step-daughter. I wrote a scathing respone to the article that was NEVER published, indicating that this man was a sociopath and should not be promoted in your community. He needed to return to Cuba or, rather, be permanently imprisoned or both. I am disappointed that your article promoting Fito Garche or whomever he really was was published AND I'm disappointed that you did not publish my response. A woman is dead and "all are punished."

kai 5 years, 9 months ago

thanks notajayhawk. Some ford f150s just have a small stripe across each side; so it might not have been mentioned. I emailed the lawrence pd, but got no reply. Maybe I'll try phoning them.

notajayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

kai;I have looked at a lot of media stories about this, including from the New Jersey & NY newspapers and TV stations, and have not seen a picture of the truck. But I would think, seeing as how there are about a billion white F-150's out there, if it had something distinguishable like a red stripe they would have mentioned it.

logicsound04 5 years, 9 months ago

Rest In Peace, Jana.On behalf of the Brewballers we will all miss you very much. Thanks for being a positive presence and a great teammate.=========================================Shame on the rest of you who have used this thread to push personal and political agendas.

invictus 5 years, 9 months ago

What a dirtbag, illegal, dead beat dad, woman beater. If the women of Lawence would stop sleeping with these people maybe they would move on.

kai 5 years, 9 months ago

surely someone here knows something about the murderer's truck. Did it have a red stripe? How old was it? How long had he owned it? An answer to any of these questions might help to prevent an innocent man from going to jail.

duplenty 5 years, 9 months ago

KansasPerson 5 years, 9 months ago

Watching the news last night, I was surprised to hear Janet Reid say that New Jersey is "thousands of miles away."On another note, I have been so angry about some of these comments that I'm wishing the J-W would make a policy of disabling comments for, say, a week after a murder or accidental death story. I know there's no way this is going to happen, but I can't imagine the pain I'd feel if I lost a loved one and then heard about some total strangers speculating wildly about states of mind, etc.

invictus 5 years, 9 months ago

He looks like a liberal heart-throb. Dark, dangerous foreigner with small man's syndrome. But at least he didn't want his girl friends to move to the suburbs. She should of had a handgun and protected herself.

krisell 5 years, 9 months ago

I knew Jana and just want to use this forum to say goodbye to her. She was an extremely bright woman, always full of life and always up for anything and was about to do great things with her life. I will always remember her as a strong woman who would do anything she could to help people - even those she didn't know. Most of you don't even realize what this town has lost.To those of you who use each and every article written in the ljworld as a means to argue with each other about your liberal or conservative leanings, please get over yourselves. Realize that an innocent young woman with her entire life ahead of her has died and your comments would best be used to express your condolences for her friends and her family. Nobody cares what you guys think about "those darn liberals" or "arrogant conservatives."

scott3460 5 years, 9 months ago

Bearded makes some good points. There are way more abused men out there than most people realize.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Also note..Many abusers seem tame and kind, generous. Some have self esteem issues, and find a bright, energetic, pretty woman captivating. They admire her intelligence and talents.(After all, she can do so many things they can't) They do all they can to win them. Then, in the relationship, when they find this woman doesn't put her every footstep exactly where he wants her to..or if she doesn't agree with him, worship him...he then starts the abuse..trying to control her.If she tries to leave, he just gets worse.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

Okay Azureattitude,you're purposely misinterpretting my post. first let me tell you alittle about myself, my first marriage, 1984-1993 was to a woman was quite violent, no I am not making that up. she used the stereotypes about men always being the abuser to hide behind. why did i stay married so long, because I tried to make that marriage work out. yes, it took courage not to give up on it! I have eight plus years of experience with a woman who shoved, hit, and threatened, and I mean often. so, don't give me this "alienated male" crap. FBI uniform Crime Reporting stats for decades have indicated that male victims of sexual assault, domestic violence are dramaticly less likely to report than are women. hmm, why do you suppose that is? it is the stereotypes (see above). and, your own expressed stereotypes. thanks, pro-counsel, I too have training with that experience supporting this. and, azure-attitude, you certainly do have an attitude problem, go back and reread my post. in no way did I say she brought this upon herself. in no way did I say women were better at the domestic violence. I said: women are better at hiding it! big difference, but it was ignored on the way to your rant. believe me, besides the other circumstances of male victimization pro-counsel listed, male victims of domestic violence are far more common than you would like to think. is that because it is upsetting to you to think your fellow females are just as capable of abuse? part of your stereotype, which i was addressing above in the earlier post, is that some of the opponents to women's abuse teach that all men are potential perps. apparently by your attitude, you must buy that one. I do not blame women for getting abused, of course, since I myself was a victim of domestic violence! how dare you. my purpose in that earlier post was that in all what jana Macky was campaigning against, and the comments on threads, it was all about women as victims of violence. as pro-counsel ably pointed out, this has the unfortunate side-effect of pushing male victims into the shadows.

pearlwoman 5 years, 9 months ago

I think this Fito worked as a maintenance man for at least three frats and other organizations around Lawrence. Am sick about it. He seemed to be a caring sort. But why is an ex-con with a recent credible offense against another college-age kid allowed to work near any KU campus facility? Let's be sure that no other ex-con, especially with a crime against adolescents or young adults is allowed to work anywhere near the KU campus.

VTHawk 5 years, 9 months ago

No kidding, papakeno. I have lived here for 20 years, and remember when lawrence claimed to never have had an unsolved murder. We are becoming too much like Wichita, I think.

papakeno 5 years, 9 months ago

Flew back from Jersey today, sat next to a couple of Lawrence's finest coming home from meeting with NJ Police. Its time to clean up our streets here in Lawrence folks. This is not the same town it was 10 years ago!! NMD!!

Thats_messed_up 5 years, 9 months ago

how many murders is that so far this year?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Nice to see someone else is crazy in Kansas.

Linda Endicott 5 years, 9 months ago

I lived for several years with an abusive man. He was emotionally, psychologically (I really think those are pretty much the same thing), and physically abusive. It took me a long time to get out of the relationship for good. It took me several more years of therapy before I could untangle my feelings and see things about the relationship (and him) logically and realistically. Someone mentioned that no woman falls in love with an abuser, and this is true. They fall in love with the charming, witty, humorous, interesting person that he portrays himself to be in the beginning. The abuse begins later, once they know they have you "hooked". And by then, it's usually easier said than done to get out of the relationship. I was not the first woman that he abused, and I was not the last. It has been 7 years since I broke up with this man for good. It has been two years since he died, of a heat-related health problem one summer. I took no pleasure, got no satisfaction or closure from his death. I did not go to his funeral but I did visit his grave and left flowers. Why? Because I felt sorry for him. Because he died alone, having alienated practically everyone who knew him. Because he had potential, had talents he could have put to good use but never had and now never would. To me, getting pleasure from his death would have been more like the cruel, evil, perverse kind of thing he would have done if circumstances had happened the other way around. And I didn't want to be like him.

IMFRasor 5 years, 9 months ago

I would like to say first off, my prayers go out to Jana and her family. My life was directly effected by Fito Garche's actions in 2004 when he attacked my ex-wife causing her to fear for her life and flee the the state with my daughter. Fito Garche had tryed to get a restraining order against me out of fear of retaliation. Well, I had to endure this individual coming back into my community and being welcomed with open arms. The victim and friends of hers had judged me and try to socially ostrasize me because they believed Fito's lies he told them about how I was stalking him,etc. Fito Garche was a sociopathic, disturbed individual. It saddens me that my warnings fell on deaf ears. I always knew the problem of Fito Garche would work itself out. Its just so tradgic that an innocent life had to be sacrifised in doing so. And so I say wake up people!!!!not all are who they seem to be. R.I.P. Jana Mackey

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion: "... and that the so-called "artworks" of La Perro Rabioso Garche, be publicly burned, hammered, crushed or otherwise destroyed...."Bell tower, I take it...?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, Tangential, I cannot wait for the t-shirts:"Viva La Perro Rabioso Garche!" with a Photoshopped image of him in a beret with a star!Wouldn't surprise me, what with The People's Republic being full of people like you!Actually I think that any person, agency, gallery or any other holder of his so-called "artwork" should donate it to a group to be set up, such that the so-called "art" of La Perro Rabioso Garche, might be auctioned to the highest bidder with the proceeds used to establish a scholarship fund at KU or a periodic grant, donated to a battered spousal shelter or some such memorial to Jana as will aid battered women and children and that the so-called "artworks" of La Perro Rabioso Garche, be publicly burned, hammered, crushed or otherwise destroyed, such that as in ancient Egypt, his memory, likeness and record be stricken from the halls and monuments!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion: "The guy was an abusive, tormenting and violent "individual" and hard wired that way."Maybe, like most of us, he was re-wired, along the way.Maybe something, many things, in his life just went... haywire.Marion: "Go back to your philosophy class, will you?"Will you be teaching? ( ...or just waiting in the bell tower, concealed and carrying?)

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

Tangential:The guy was an abusive, tormenting and violent "individual" and hard wired that way.Go back to your philosophy class, will you?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

trishlovesdolphins: "tang... rude to be questioning the feelings of her friends and family."Rather than a rude questioning of feelings, mine was an attempt to offer something which might refocus feelings, to free those affected from false and otherwise negative sentiments directed away from the person lost.(BTW, Trish, I love dolphins, too. Unlike others here, I leave the door open to the possibility that Adolfo may have loved dolphins, as well. My failing, perhaps, but where others seem to see a victim and a villain, I see a double-indeed, multiple-tragedy. And hating the perpetrator, IMHO, only undermines the hater.)

Laura Watkins 5 years, 9 months ago

sorry there is an unfinished sentence floating in that last comment but i think i got my point across.

Laura Watkins 5 years, 9 months ago

notjustastudent, your comments on jana and her relationship with fito/why she broke up with fito are inaccurate. furthermore, there are friends of jana's who are very relieved that this is over. they don't have to be subjected to a trial. they don't have to view photos of the crime scene. they don't have to live with the possibility that he might have gotten off. they don't have to live with there is an end now, there is closure. the family/friends are learning more and more about what happened. it doesn't take an insider to know that ljworld doesn't know everything that the police/family knows.

Secret_Agent 5 years, 9 months ago

Why is it assumed it wasn't Jana who beat him up? For as warm & fun as she was she also was tall, strong, & audacious. I am sure she kicked ass when necessary.

Pudgy1 5 years, 9 months ago

muchhasbeenlost and the rest of Jana's family, I am deeply sorry for your loss. And I, for one, would never dare to question your feelings about the scumbag's death.Personally, I believe in "an eye for an eye" and if anyone harmed MY daughter.....they would likely not see police custody. But it is not any of our business to judge another on how they would feel after such a tragedy as this. As multi said, if they've not been in this situation, they have no right to pretend they know how one should act.

trishlovesdolphins 5 years, 9 months ago

tang, you didn't know Jana. She was a great person. Really was. However, the fact that you didn't know her does not make it any less rude to be questioning the feelings of her friends and family. How would it make you feel if someone did the same to you if you were in their position?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Multidisciplinary: "The day you've buried siblings or children dead by another's hand:you can comment on how they might be feeling...."(Not to comment on "how they might be feeling"...)Loss is a universal human experience, whether or not it involves the burial of siblings or children, by whatever cause.I agree with your words: "Do remember, that she wouldn't want any of you to suffer."To them, I would add, "... nor would she want you to find false comfort in any vengeful sentiment."Embrace her memory.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous,muchhasbeenlost wrote exactly what I did about this. The day you've buried siblings or children dead by another's hand...you can comment on how they might be feeling.much..Ignore the jerks on here. They have no idea, and never will, about what you and yours are going through.Also, try not to get hurt by those people who you will run into who say, "It will be alright, you'll get over it".Try to not knock them down when they say it (no matter how much you might feel like it at the time).Do remember, that she wouldn't want any of you to suffer. Put a sign on the wall if you have to, it Will help.Things have changed and they will continue to do so. Nothing will be exactly the same. Time will permit this to "not be the only thing" that is in your thoughts. She will always be with you..it just won't fill everyday in time.And above all, I realise that any words of kindness are still smacking like a tons of bricks, when you just want to scream, "We want her back!!!".

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Second verse, restatement of the first...Perhaps it is this very one-sidedness in "seeing"-seemingly so prevalent in this world of ours-which, in some measure, fosters tragedies such as this: ultimately leaving each of us, in our own way, struggling to achieve some sort of personal, familial, communal resolution.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Buggie7: "I think Im just mad at LJworld for focusing way too much on the loser."It should be noted that we ALL are losers in a situation such as this. Lest I be misunderstood, all I am saying is... Let us cut our losses; let us not continue to lose by embracing vengeance.trishlovesdolphins: "I don't think questioning family on their reasons for how his death brings closure CAN'T be disrespectful. Jana was a wonderful person. I wish I had been able to spend more time with her, unfortunately, I didn't get the chance."Of course, I never even got the chance to meet her.Wouldn't that have been nice.(And I've never met him, either, or experienced his work.)Earlier Marion remarked: "I see only one tragedy here and that is the brutal murder of Jana Mackey."Perhaps, in some measure, it is this very one-sidedness in "seeing" which fosters tragedies such as this... leaving each of us, in our own way, struggling to achieve some sort of resolution.

trishlovesdolphins 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't think questioning family on their reasons for how his death brings closure CAN'T be disrespectful. Jana was a wonderful person. I wish I had been able to spend more time with her, unfortunately, I didn't get the chance. I find it absolutely disrespectful and horrifying how people are turning a news story about her death into a bash fest to topics ranging from illegal immigration and liberal/conservative agendas. There are people who knew her that might be reading these comments to see stories about how great she was, and they're being "treated" to this crap.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says: "The rest is peripheral."Had these been two youngsters, two teenagers, would not the "periphery" then broaden? Why is it that we can see it (tragedy) in the child, but not in the adult from whom the child grew. Is not childhood's end often due only the relentless march of time, accompanied by the hardening of superficial features: and: of the heart?"Marion writes:Tangetntial, you have aptly named yourself!"Tangential"!Woo Hoo!Fito/Garche/Adolfo/Cubanito was NOT a teenager; he was an abusive and violent adult with a strong track record in those areas!Heart?The only place I would want to see Adolfo's "heart", such as it was, would be over an open fire on a spi........................never mindYou can't take the truth.

Pro_Counsel 5 years, 9 months ago

And by the way, pardon me for sterotyping.

Pro_Counsel 5 years, 9 months ago

Azure_Attitude (Anonymous) says: "I fully understand why some men would endure or others find it hard to leave an abusive relationship and it is unfortunate. It surely isn't because I know a statistic.""I could be wrong, but you and gnome sure do sound like a couple of classic "alienated males." Pardon me for sterotyping. It just strikes me funny that you two feel compelled to remnd us that men get beat up, too, on a board discussing how a man violently harmed one woman and killed another."Actually, I was speaking professionally. But my masters degree, training, and years of supervised clinical experience and subsequent independent practice where I work with male abuse victims on a near-daily basis evidently pale in comparison to the fact that you know a statistic.If you really knew anything about this issue ... not how it affected you personally but as a bigger issue ... you'd know that statistics are meaningless. For many years everyone also thought that sexual abuse of children only happened to females, and now we're finding out just how far from the truth that was. The proliferation of such stereotypes, exacerbated by people who express their legitimate anger at their attacker against an entire gender, kept the truth in the dark too long. And as long as people continue to publicly disseminate such inaccurate information, then yes, I feel compelled to correct it.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

muchhasbeenlost: "I am a member of Jana's family and will tell you that his death is and will continue to help bring closure... this way there is no chance of him ever hurting anyone else again...."How can the same sort of loss which has brought you so much grief serve also to bring closure? There is no penalty which can be applied to a perpetrator which can undo such a loss. Hopefully, you do not find satisfaction in the depths of despair to which this individual must have sunk, in order to take his own life. (Even his suffering, his suicide, cannot undo your loss.)I do not mean to be callous, certainly not disrespectful, but I cannot help but think that the finding of "closure" in the death of another human being will somehow continue to "harm" you in ways which you may not appreciate in this moment.Much has been lost. Do not lose more of yourselves to vengeful satisfaction.

Buggie7 5 years, 9 months ago

My condolensces go out to the family and friends of this young girl that was taken away from doing all the good that she could way too young.I would like to know though why LJworld felt the need to plaster the idiots face all over the front of the website for a while even though hes dead. we dont need to see him, we arent looking for him anymore. Instead put Jana's pic up there as large as you had him and tell of the wonderful things that she did. I know there are links to things about her but I would have much rather went to this website and saw her bightly shined face instead I saw a waste of a man who is a coward and took his own life.I know from muchhasbeenlost's statement that they are spared a trial and they are right he would have gotten out at some point to do it all over again to someone elses lil girl. I think Im just mad at LJworld for focusing way too much on the loser.

muchhasbeenlost 5 years, 9 months ago

notjustastudent I am a member of Jana's family and will tell you that his death is and will continue to help bring closure. Why don't you step back and think for a second. Not only will we (the family) be spared from having to see this waste of life throughout the trial, but this way there is no chance of him ever hurting anyone else again when he certainly would have gotten out of prison at some point in time.

Paula Kissinger 5 years, 9 months ago

Azure_Attitude (Anonymous) says: "Liberal congress or senate in this sate? Are you serious, Grandma? Really, what are you on? This guy was paroled less than 2 years after he stabbed another woman. Once you account for how long it took to adjudicate that case the guy served little more than a year for that crime. Who's responsible for letting him out?"Well, violent offenders without a prior conviction serve an average of less than 18 months. They are released based on their prison record by the parole board. Public comments are always welcome at the parole hearings and people may also write letters to the parole board for consideration. It's the law...the laws are made by the state govenment and, again, if this seems lame to you (as it does to me) then express your concerns to your representatives. "But if a woman kills a man who abused her for 15 or 20 years, she will get 20 to life."That is mere speculation on your part but women may serve more of their sentence as female facilities are less crowded. Each crime carries a sentence set forth by statute and it is the perrogative of the parole board to parole an individual when the minimum amount of time has been served. Without input from the community the prisoner is most likely paroled. Period.

Azure_Attitude 5 years, 9 months ago

I think you have seen Norbit too many times, Pro.I fully understand why some men would endure or others find it hard to leave an abusive relationship and it is unfortunate. It surely isn't because I know a statistic.To be clear, men (or those in same sex relationships) being in the minority in the DV statistics does not mean they are deserved of less help, understanding or support.I could be wrong, but you and gnome sure do sound like a couple of classic "alienated males." Pardon me for sterotyping. It just strikes me funny that you two feel compelled to remnd us that men get beat up, too, on a board discussing how a man violently harmed one woman and killed another. Gnome goes further to say that women are better at abuse than men. Kinda funny. . . .

MoscowCalls 5 years, 9 months ago

"Grandma," you need to research drug law. And please, put those pit bulls down. You're scaring the kids.

Pro_Counsel 5 years, 9 months ago

Azure_Attitude (Anonymous) says: "but adult male victims are the exception and not the rule, by far!"Sadly this is stereotypical and untrue; it may indeed be more common for women to be victimized by men than vice-versa (although let's not forget women being victimized by women and men by men), but it is sadly far from the 'exception' for men to be the victims. And fostering this stereotype is what makes it so difficult for men to seek help and talk about it.

soiledbrown 5 years, 9 months ago

marion-take his lead and end yours...please

Azure_Attitude 5 years, 9 months ago

Bearded, your commnet is just sickening!! To essentially adopt the position that women-are-better-at-abuse-than-men is beyond absurd. It isn't very far from the attitude of what-did-she-do-to-make-him-hit-her?Has anyone, ever, asserted that only female children are impacted? Domestic violence doesn't mean only women are hurt - and the children suffer in many and at times some differing ways - but adult male victims are the exception and not the rule, by far! And men, like woman and children, often sufffer in silence. It is the nature of the enviroment constructed by the aggressor

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

"The rest is peripheral."Had these been two youngsters, two teenagers, would not the "periphery" then broaden? Why is it that we can see it (tragedy) in the child, but not in the adult from whom the child grew. Is not childhood's end often due only the relentless march of time, accompanied by the hardening of superficial features... and... of the heart?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

I see only one tragedy here and that is the brutal murder of Jana Mackey.The rest is peripheral.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

wow.Two souls, with an unrealized potential of finding love-salvation-in one another, lost.Let us paint this tragedy with... venom.

Azure_Attitude 5 years, 9 months ago

Liberal congress or senate in this sate? Are you serious, Grandma? Really, what are you on?This guy was paroled less than 2 years after he stabbed another woman. Once you account for how long it took to adjudicate that case the guy served little more than a year for that crime. Who's responsible for letting him out?What we have here is a society that values their women very little. If you doubt that you do Jana's woman's memory no justice as her mission in life was change that. We need more women like her.Everytime a man who abused his woman for years and kills her when she finally leaves and serves only 5 or 6 years in prison for it, it proves that point all over again. It happens all the time. But if a woman kills a man who abused her for 15 or 20 years, she will get 20 to life.

notjustastudent 5 years, 9 months ago

Notajayhawk- you're right in saying that there wasn't any possible happy ending, but closure does not mean happy, not in any sense. Vengeance is also not something I had in mind; in fact the whole point I was trying to make in my post is that there will be NO ending for some people close to her. As far as the eye for an eye standard, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, but considering Jana was in law school, I doubt that it would be her standard of justice.

notjustastudent 5 years, 9 months ago

Jana knew nothing of the previous assault charges until a few months agao, at which point she broke up with him. She had filed charges against him. She did NOT believe she could change him, and that's why she tried to extract herself from the situation. But from my own experience, I know how hard it is to give up on someone you cared about for so long. I'm sure that more information on why she was there will be released later, but from what I hear she was concerned he was going to kill himself, a concern that was obviously legitamite (sp?).

notajayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

notjustastudent (Anonymous) says: "I can tell you that suicide will be bring LESS closure to her family and friends."Is the word you were looking for really 'closure?' Or 'vengeance?' The guy is dead. No lengthy trial, no dragging her name through the mud in his defense, no appeals, no need to make the annual trip to the prison to sit at the parole board hearings, no fear that he'll some day be released from prison. Dead. Morte. Even in the strictest eye-for-an-eye standards, this was a just ending. There wasn't any possible ending that would have been a happy one.

DukeBilgewater 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey, Asbestos! Work on that spelling thing!

DukeBilgewater 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm very sorry for the young woman's death, but did she seriously believe she could change a guy who spent time in prison for trying to murder a previous girlfriend?Wasn't she involved in domestic violence issues?

notjustastudent 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion writes "what about jana? who speaks for her?" To all of you who think that justice was served through his death, think about the kind of justice that Jana believed in, and practised, in her life, everyday. I didn't know her personally, and I'd venture a guess that 99 % of the people on this board didn't either, but as a victim of domestic violence myself (one in which the kind of thing that happened to Jana was threatened and nearly carried out on several occasions) I can tell you that suicide will be bring LESS closure to her family and friends. It leaves so many questions unanswered, and in some ways brings along with it a sense of guilt to those who knew him. I know that sounds screwed up, and it is, but this is a reality of domestic violence, a reality that Jana knew through all the wonderful work that she did. To all of you trying to place blame, please recognize another reality: there is no one to blame for what happened besides him. So try and focus your thoughts and energy towards honoring not just Jana's life, but the lives of all the people you love.Parents- call your children and tell them you love them. Tell them there is NOTHING they can't talk about with you, and NOTHING they could say that would make you love them less.Children- call your parents and tell them you love them.Friends- TALK TO EACHOTHER! Express your concerns, whether it be about a significant other, a drinking problem, issues with depression, or ANYTHING you find disturbing, TELL THEM! Many people are afraid to voice their concerns, out of fear they will lose their friend, but if you don't, you really could lose a friend in a more tragic way. Let them know you will always listen, and most importantly, LISTEN!Neighbors, and everyone else- don't be afraid to speak up, just remember to do it in the right venue, and at the right times.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Geez, are Kansans getting this stupid? You need to start understanding that Kansas is not the center of the Universe, and you also cannot see very much of the world from your isolated perspective. From frwent:"Cops get away with murder, it has happened in a midwest community several times."Kornphlake (not stupid or ignorant):" heard from a source very close to the victim that Fito was indeed beaten beyond all recognition, but it wasn't from the cops."Nobody understands* what happened at all in NJ. This is what the Mexican Cartel and the El Salvadorian Gang MS-13 does. They control the inmates. This is another issue of ilelgal immigration, and you idiots in Kansas need to stop blaming cops and citizens and lay the blame where it belongs... the illegal aliens and those coming to our country ilelgally or coming here and then assualting our citizens or murdering them.As for " OnlyLawrence Republican": "Very sad. Fito was a great artist and a very interesting person. Jana was just the same - very creative, smart, and genuinely nice. I just can't see him doing this. An absolute shame."The absolute shame is the woman murdered. Crying tears for this "frito" idiot is wasted effort.You guys are agonizing over things you have no clue, and you have an obviously corrupted "moral center". There are moral absolutes in this and people had better start learning the lesson. As the economy tanks, people will be more upset, and wanting, and there will be more thefts, crime and violence.You have to look evil in the eye and know what it is.The City of Lawrence toasting this violent idiot woman beater because he painted a few pictures is just repulsive to me and illustrates the total lack of good judgement that a lot of people in Lawrence have.I call this disease "Kansasitis"

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

well certainly his picture should stay, the caption now seems a little creepy since he's gone to the great beyond. thanks NJ. if the cops didn't beat the cr*p outa him, wonder just who did? too many deaths in this lawrenceburg. let's try harder to prevent them if we can. and, while we're at it in [earlier posts and this article] referencing domestic abuse, please note that the "forgotten victims of domestic violence are men and boys. women to enact violence against men, they're often better at hiding it, or using the common social stereotypes to hide behind.

notajayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Just a thought:I wonder if they need to keep the " 5'08", 150 lbs" in the caption under his picture since, apparently, we're no longer trying to find him.Other than that, good riddance to bad rubbish. And I will also add my small thanks to the state of New Jersey.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 9 months ago

I would not be one penny on the veracity of this story. Cops get away with murder, it has happened in a midwest communjity several times. I wonder if the local "internal investigations unit" is on their way to New Jersey to help the locals there cover this up. Perhaps their local "CYA" division needs some help in this obvious situation.

Kornphlake 5 years, 9 months ago

I heard from a source very close to the victim that Fito was indeed beaten beyond all recognition, but it wasn't from the cops.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

From the NJ website posted in reply to "njman20002" who wrote:"Posted by njman20002 on 07/06/08 at 10:44AMim one who belives that everone who takes a person life should have their day in court .... i was one of the first person who witness the arrest on nunez and i must add that he was brutally beaten by the men in blue .... (was it really a suicide) im not defending nunez actions .... i just belive that their are laws that need to be followed by all citizens .... my condolences go out to the victims family and to the suspects family ......"Massstreet replied:He was "brutally beaten"?What about Jana?Who speaks for her?And by the way, if your going to refer to him by his "last name", you should use Garcia, rather than Nunez.Since his my space profile says that he left Cuba for "religious reasons", among others, maybe he took repentance seriously, what?It's kinda like this(Having a bit of fun with languages!):Adolfo/Fito/Garche/Garcia-Nunez killo studento.Adolfo/Fito/Garche/Garcia-Nunez killo selfo.No problemo!Adolfo/Fito/Garche/Garcia-Nunez held his own trial in that cell and found himself guilty and carried out a very appropriate sentence.

OnlyLawrenceRepublican 5 years, 9 months ago

notnowdear 5 years, 9 months ago

May the gods travel with you, Jana.With "family values" such a hot topic for the GOP, why are the GOP not grabbing onto issues of domestic violence and running with it?Why? Because it may well hit too close to home for them.

Pudgy1 5 years, 9 months ago

PitbullGrandma wrote: "......Wrong again, genius. Someone convicted of possession of a small amount of pot gets community service and a fine for a 1st offense, as a rule, which usually are waived as well."Actually, in Lawrence, KS, being caught with a small amount of marijuana is a municipal court offense, and a simple NTA is issued and the pot confiscated. In other words, nothing happens. If convicted, a slap on the wrist. A stop sign violation probably costs about as much.

Paula Kissinger 5 years, 9 months ago

sourpuss (Anonymous) says: "Liberal courts" are not to blame here. If you want to place blame, look at mandatory sentencing for drug offenders. Because someone caught with some pot must remain in jail for a prescribed amount of time, someone else has to be let out. Well, people who attack their girlfriends don't have minimum sentencing, so they have to go so some weed-head can sit in a cell. Who would you rather have on the streets?Wrong again, genius. Someone convicted of possession of a small amount of pot gets community service and a fine for a 1st offense, as a rule, which usually are waived as well. There is a set standard of sentencing for every crime. If you don't like the minimum sentences for a particular crime then speak with your liberal congress and senate members from our district/state to see if they would like to propose a change.

sourpuss 5 years, 9 months ago

"Liberal courts" are not to blame here. If you want to place blame, look at mandatory sentencing for drug offenders. Because someone caught with some pot must remain in jail for a prescribed amount of time, someone else has to be let out. Well, people who attack their girlfriends don't have minimum sentencing, so they have to go so some weed-head can sit in a cell. Who would you rather have on the streets?I am also ashamed of my fellow citizens. Two people are dead, and that is just a tragedy. Life is an amazing thing, and it is sad when it is shortened prematurely. I do not know the circumstances of their lives, but let us all remember that not everyone has a lovely life, and not everyone has the strength to rise above it. This is why we all must be as good as possible to our parents, our children, our friends and our loves. I am glad no one else will be hurt by this man, and I am sorry a blossoming youth lost her life. My condolences to her friends and family.

FormerCentralKansan 5 years, 9 months ago

This guy was nothing more than another Lawrence townie who liked causing people and the community problems. I bet anyone $1 he(if he was out of prison...)was in on that cocaine-fueled Yellow Sub fiasco last summer where everyone got high/drunk and trashed the place. THAT was the mother of all townie events ever. I sure hope those Jersey cops just let him hang...no rescue, no resuscitation, and I hope they took pics. ALL murderers deserve to hang.

morganlefay 5 years, 9 months ago

What a COWARD! This POS got off way too easy...

Pudgy1 5 years, 9 months ago

Sometimes a rabid dog simply needs to be put down.(or hanged in NJ)

Paula Kissinger 5 years, 9 months ago

whatupdown (Anonymous) says: What was this POS doing on the streets so soon. He attacked a woman in her home with a knife and did less than ten or five years even, then does it again but kills this time. Why do we not remove these rejects when we get the chance, violent people are freaks of nature, rejects, and should not be free.You may thank the liberal judges and parole boards for this. I was involved in a case where an individual was arrested and incarcerated for a violent crime in 1981 and he is STILL incarcerated only because one of us involved in the case continues to go to his parole hearings and relate that he has no redeeming quality, has refused to accept the psychological services available to him and will definitely harm others upon his release. Also, it is inevitable that future violent acts will occur when these individuals are released from prison because they are not properly treated there for their anti-social, violent behaviors. They are allowed parole due to time served irregardless of the fact that they have most likely not participated fully or gained benefit of psychological services. The only hope is in longer prison sentences with better psychological/psychiatric treatments...or more unattended items left in holding cells !

Silence_Dogood 5 years, 9 months ago

Ah, the compassionate Christians--as usual.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 9 months ago

Choosing your friends is so important. Falling in love means you have to use good judement about a person.Anybody who assaults a lover is NO GOOD. EVER.

loudmouthrealist 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey whatupdownYou seem pretty violent yourself. Take your own words to heart.

whatupdown 5 years, 9 months ago

LadyJ 5 years, 9 months ago

Posted on the New Jersey newspaper websitePosted by jersey10006 on 07/06/08 at 7:39AMDear Kansas taxpayers,We just saved you all (youse in jersey speak) $25,000 a year in prison costs. Don't forget to send us a thank you card.

lianne 5 years, 9 months ago

Kai: Call the LPD, they should have a picture of it on file.

kai 5 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone know details about his truck? Did it have a red stripe? What year was it? How long had he owned it? I ask because I am wondering about possible connections to an unsolved crime.

Michael Capra 5 years, 9 months ago

what a piece of crap,I hoped the cops in NJ helped him hang himself