Archive for Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cats walk the walk

KU’s Manhattan mastery halted

Above, Kansas forward Darrell Arthur (00) shows his displeasure as the final moments tick away in the Jayhawks' 84-75 loss to Kansas State. In top photo, K-State's Bill Walker (12) pounds his chest as he stands on press row. Wednesday at Bramlage Coliseum, the Wildcats snapped a 24-game losing streak to the Jayhawks in Manhattan.

January 31, 2008

Reader poll
Who do you now consider to be the favorite in the Big 12 men's basketball race?

or See the results without voting

24 years coming: Jayhawks fall to K-State

Until tonight, KU had taken a bite out of the Little Apple and defeated Kansas State in Manhattan every season for 24 years. Enlarge video

KU fan Jayhawks' lucky charm?

One Lawrence resident has been to every match-up between KU and K-State in Manhattan since the Jayhawks' winning streak began 24 years ago. Enlarge video

Go figure

Points by which K-State outscored KU in free throws

Points by which K-State outscored KU on three-pointers

Minutes played by KU's foul-plagued Darrell Arthur

Minutes played by suspended KSU starter Andre Gilbert

9-for-18

FG shooting for KSU's Bill Walker and Michael Beasley (each)

Points for Walker (22) and Beasley (25) combined

7-for-14

FG shooting for KU's Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson combined

Points for Arthur (12) and Jackson (7) combined

— The Streak is dead.

Long live The Streak.

"It's tough to take a loss here. It's tough to take a loss when we own a streak like that. It's really tough. Things happen," KU junior Brandon Rush said after the Jayhawks' 84-75 loss to Kansas State on Wednesday night at crazed Bramlage Coliseum.

The loss, of course, snapped KU's 24-game win streak in Manhattan - second longest on an opponent's home floor in Div. I history behind UCLA's 25-game sizz at Cal-Berkeley from 1961 to '85.

"I'll be real honest with you. It doesn't sting because of The Streak. It stings because it's our rival. I could care less about the streak," KU coach Bill Self said after his No. 2-ranked team fell to 20-1 overall and 5-1 in the Big 12; No. 22 KSU improved to 15-4 and grabbed first place in the conference at 5-0.

"I do care about beating our rival. It stings more than most would sting," Self said.

"We've got a real nice team. We do a lot of good things. We weren't going to run the table. As much as I wish we could, that wasn't going to happen. Chances of that happening were very, very remote. It could be good for us in the long run, (but) certainly it stings."

Kansas State, which was led by freshman stars Michael Beasley (25 points, six rebounds) and Bill Walker (22 points), as well as unsung freshman guard Jacob Pullen (20 points, 10-of-10 from line), as one sign in the crowd said, "Celebrated like it was 1983" - at the final horn.

More than 1,000 fans stormed the court. The only casualty one of the refs who was accidentally clipped in the throat and had to be helped off by security. Beasley stood on press row waving wildly to fans savoring the Wildcats' first home victory over KU since Jan. 29, 1983.

Beasley was still in the arena in full uniform 45 minutes after the game and posed for a photo with his USA Basketball Under 19 team buddy, KU's Darrell Arthur, before Arthur headed to the team bus.

"I remember going on those Catbacker Tours, listening to all those people in Garden City, Kan., and all I those places I went (last summer). All they wanted was to beat KU," KSU's Walker said after hitting nine of 18 shots with four turnovers, an assist and steal in 25 minutes.

He and Arthur both picked up their third fouls in the first half and didn't even start the second. Arthur finished with 12 points and seven boards in 17 minutes.

"I felt like Mike promising (guaranteeing) a win, we had nothing to lose. They were undefeated, No. 2 team in the country. I think we came out and played looser," Walker added.

The Jayhawks, who trailed 11-5 early to the delight of the fans, managed early on to survive the incredibly loud crowd - "I couldn't even hear the whistle blow. It's the loudest place I've been in," Self said - and trailed just 38-36 at halftime.

But KSU, which led, 47-45, with 13:13 left, grabbed the game by the throat in a 10-0 spurt that upped the margin to 57-45 at 9:59. KU would cut it to six with 5:51 left, but threes by Clent Stewart and Beasley kept the Cats in charge, 67-57, at 4:17.

"We got sped up, though it was one of those atmospheres where that could happen," Self said after his team snatched a season-low three steals. "Our guards probably didn't communicate with guys as well or possibly get everybody on the same page. But we can't blame that.

"We simplified it enough and got the ball where it needed to be for the most part. They were just better."

KU won the hustle points.

"To me, of the 50-50 balls, they got 70 to 80 percent of them. We had some individuals, they would be the first to tell you, when things are not going well, that's when you have to rely on each other to get back in it. We had guys trying to do the right things, but they weren't percentage plays," Self said.

KU, which had some trouble with KSU's surprisingly quick guards, suffered 16 turnovers to KSU's 13. Foul-plagued Mario Chalmers did hit for 19 points, while Sherron Collins had 12. Lead guard Russell Robinson scored six off 1-of-8 shooting.

KU hit 48.1 percent of its shots to KSU's 42.9. The Cats did cash 12 costly threes in 26 attempts to KU's six in 17 tries. Beasley, who is 6-foot-10, made four threes in four tries.

"He's a great player," KU said KU senior Sasha Kaun, sporting a black right eye because of physical play. "He had 25 points. Inside and out, he's really good."

So good were the three Wildcat freshmen the Jayhawks headed to the team bus downed in Manhattan for the first time since a one-point loss before they were born.

"I mean, to us the streak isn't what we think about. I've been here three years," Kaun said. "It's just tough to lose. They played better than us today. We can learn from it, get a tighter huddle on the road. Good can come from this, but it's tough to lose."

Comments

BrianR 6 years, 6 months ago

You should never hang your head when you're 20 - 1.

Michael Capra 6 years, 6 months ago

ksu allum paid those refs off now lets see them win when not at home,, sad that ksu has to go to that level to win

Bladerunner 6 years, 6 months ago

How bout some cheese with that whine 458?

Wildcats and McCain in Oh Eight!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 6 months ago

Life could be worse Jayhawks no question about it. The Cats played well and made some rather awesome shots. The officials called the game very close.

It's time to move on......cuz the Jayhawks know how to play great basketball.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

Just give it to them. Let them have their victory without trying to mar it through phony claims of biased officiating.

TongieMom 6 years, 6 months ago

KU has a great basketball team and K-State is finding their groove and playing great basketball as well..but the Wildcats just played a better game last night. Get over it....it happened, but don't be a sore loser...It is easy to love to win but it takes dedication to your team to love the battle and this is something Wildcat fans recognize.

Let's see what happens in Lawrence..I wonder what your excuse will be then??? Kidding (just a little)...but it will be an excellent game to watch. WooHoo....GO WILDCATS.

Cheers!

countrygirl 6 years, 6 months ago

The winners celebrate and the losers blame the refs. Thanks for a great game to watch guys!

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

Kristen Murphy 6 years, 6 months ago

WOOHOO! Go Cats!

KU Fans - quit blaming the refs - I can pretty much promise you that when K-State comes to Lawrence the refs will (as usual) play to KU's advantage. This has been going on forever. Seriously. Get over it and let K-State have the win. Clearly all the trash talk was backed up. Let K-State fans enjoy this because we all know that Beasley and Walker will be gone next year. :o)

staff04 6 years, 6 months ago

So...they're 1-24 against KU at home...

Enjoy it now, KSU fans...try doing it next year when Beasley and Walker are gone to the NBA.

mmmskyscraper 6 years, 6 months ago

Meh, the loss was disappointing, but it's our only loss and the first time they've won at home in what...25 years? Let 'em have it, I say, and we'll see if they can play as well when they play here.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 6 months ago

Guys, KSU won fair and square. Let them enjoy it without childish rants. Besides, I'd rather lose to them than Missouri. They played well and they deserve credit.

wysiwyg69 6 years, 6 months ago

haiku cuckoo::::: exactly, well said, I am a lifetime ku fan and will always like ku and kstate . k state had nothing handed to them except, well nothing. they won fair and square. ku fans don't act like mu fans and make excuses. ku must play better or k state will win again in a month or so

webmocker 6 years, 6 months ago

To those who claim poor officiating contributed to KU's loss to KSU: The evidence does not back you up.

Points by which K-State outscored KU in free throws: 1

K-State fouls: 21 KU fouls: 25 (including 3 or 4 intentional ones at the end of the game...)

Sincerely,

NOT a Catbacker

guesswho 6 years, 6 months ago

the officiating wasn't great; but it went both ways. KSU deserved to win, we didn't. Suck it up.

Rickyonealku 6 years, 6 months ago

A record of 20-1 on January 31st....wow thats great basketball KU.....regroup and lets make another run of 19 wins in a row that should about April!!!!!!!

Rickyonealku 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh by the way K-State is a very good Basketball Team...congrats to Cats...

karmaxs3 6 years, 6 months ago

Well we can give 'em one every 20 years or so....

Hopefully that loss emphasized to our guys that not every game is going to be a gimme, and they will have to want it more than the other team. KSU wanted it more last night.

Pick it up and go forward!!!! Rock Chalk!

BunE 6 years, 6 months ago

Nobody beats us 25 times in a row!

MUKUOUFan 6 years, 6 months ago

It was a good game, two great teams, one had to lose. This week it was KU, next time probably K-State. As "Original Bob" said, KU simply got whooped, and KU fans need to stop whining. KU had a rough night, and will no doubt show its strength where/when it counts, March Madness.

beawolf 6 years, 6 months ago

Thoughts on the game.

KU's offense was not in sync. Poor shot selection, especially when they were beginning to make a run. Poor box outs on the defensive end.

Poor reffing. Not consistent. They would let the teams bang and then call the ticky tack stuff. However, did not affect outcome.

K-State's disciplined offense. Played the half court sets very well.

KU's guards did not pressure the ball consistently. Too many double and triple teams on Beasley.

Great win by K-State, but they celebrated like they won the NC. Major inferiority complex.

KU still looked like the more talented team but they beat themselves with poor shooting, sloppy fouls and unforced turnovers.

beawolf 6 years, 6 months ago

Bearded_Clam,

Does your 5th grade teacher know that you are posting here instead of doing your homework?

oldvet 6 years, 6 months ago

Give KSU credit for going 100% against their in-state rival... anything less would have resulted in another loss... and it was time for the streak to end, after all, anyone can have a bad quarter-century (sorry, Coach M)...

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

K-Suck beats KU one time in how many years? K-Suck is not a football or basketball school. It's nothing. KU will still be ranked higher and will go farther this year. No question there. It was pathetic to watch Beasley get on a table and beg the fans to worship him. As pathetic as they are, the K-Suck fans came crawling to him.

toefungus 6 years, 6 months ago

Poor Bill Self. He really is a good coach but has a history of losing big games. Still, KU is still darn good.

thomgreen 6 years, 6 months ago

To the victor go the spoils. I seem to recall KU football fans charging the field and tearing down goal posts after wins against K-State and Missouri. So I have no problem with the fans storming the floor at Allen Field House West...I mean Bramlage. Beasley is one cocky SOB but damn he backs it up. It's easier to hate him as a rival than it was to try and hate Kevin Durant (he was just so damn nice).
We'll see how it goes here in Allen Field House.

local_guy 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, the officiating was terrible for both sides. I mean just plain horrible. Not only for us, they called a few on KSU that were questionable as well. What everyone has failed to notice, is WHEN the calls were made. The black and white's intentionally kept the Jayhawks from starting a run and/or playing a fast paced game. If you watched the game you know it, and if you say im lying, you either weren't watching or you shouldn't be commenting. Check the tapes.

sinkorswim 6 years, 6 months ago

Quite honestly, I'm glad we lost. In fact, shortly after halftime I started hoping we would lose! The whole streak thing needed to come to an end. It was also time for a loss. It's not realistic to go all season undefeated and I'd rather post a loss now than during March Madness! In addition, KSU showed up to play ball. I thought they came out pumped up and ready to play. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for KU. We just didn't play well. We can't blame the officiating, even if it was questionable.

I hope we come back after this with a renewed focus and energy. It's time to really start playing some KU b-ball! KU has a team that should go far this year. They've just got to get their hawks in a row and be consistent. I look forward to a win against CU Saturday and a true Tiger tail-twistin' on Monday. :-)

Good game, Cats. You earned this one.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!

cellogrl 6 years, 6 months ago

Mom of 3, I agree, "KSU guards did play well, and the other players stepped up when needed. With that said, it was the worst officiated game I have seen in years."

I also don't think that it cost us the game, but it would have been a LOT closer otherwise. But let me just say this will NOT happen in our house. We WILL win in Lawrence.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, it only took them what, 25 years to beat us at home? Yeah, they can have this win.... their star players wont be there next year so we can start a new streak.

I do agree with the comments that we needed the loss. Its better than losing to Mizzou, thats for sure!

I doubt they will be able to win in Allen Fieldhouse...

and umm.. Martin needs to grow into his suit coat..that thing looked huge on him!

Shardwurm 6 years, 6 months ago

As a KSU fan I just wanted to say that I was impressed with the class the KU players displayed under extremely adverse conditions.

When some calls didn't go their way early on they didn't make a big deal about it. Well done.

KU is the best team in the country. Your top seven could start on any team. I'm glad KSU won...but I also realize that 30 days of good play by us doesn't make a dynasty - sort of like KU football. :)

But look on the bright side...now you can say: "Wait until football season!!!"

KUGrad07 6 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone ever seen GOOD officiating?

beawolf 6 years, 6 months ago

"So I have no problem with the fans storming the floor at Allen Field House West:I mean Bramlage."......Neither do I. I was referring to the players standing on top the scorers table beating their chests for 15 min. after a regular season game. But I've never been on a team with such a pitiful home record vs another opponent.

ilikestuff 6 years, 6 months ago

"Good thing I didn't bring my folks along" b/c they would have slapped me down and grounded me for a week... Straight home after school with no TV privileges.

ilovelucy 6 years, 6 months ago

Confrontation: you must really be hung over this morning to be so vicious in your response. Let me coin your key word...you're pathetic. Shardwurm, I echo your sentiments exactly.

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

Bearded_clam, your extreme lack of propriety and intelligence was enough to inspire me to create an account just so that I could give you a little insight to what a dick you're being. You're comments sound like something from a 13 yr old's myspace blog. Grow up. I'm sorry you're a K-state fan. It must suck to be the subject of every athletic joke in a four state radius. K-State is a good college but they really shouldn't try to play sports. It's not their thing. Similarly, you really shouldn't try to write. It's not your thing. Enjoy your win now because it's probably the only win you'll have over KU in the next half decade and by that time you'll be 63! Maybe by that time you'll have grown up a bit. Either way, your purple pussies still won't have won a national championship. Sorry to burst your bubble. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!

yellatex1 6 years, 6 months ago

ahhhhh... jayhawk fan is having strokes and heart attacks STILL.

Let me help you all out...

SCOREBOARD!!

Let me help YOU out...

24-1 history IN MANHATTAN! Embarrassing? Oh yeah

frowns 6 years, 6 months ago

Kansas State associate head basketball coach Dalonte Hill was arrested for DUI early Thursday morning, authorities said.

BorderRat 6 years, 6 months ago

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

HAha nice K-State although I guess it makes sense...I mean, what else is there to do in Manhattan, Kansas...besides plan trips to go to Lawrence?

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

Well...it is kind of a once in a lifetime event for K-State...

andyk 6 years, 6 months ago

It's really more embarrassing to lose at home isn't it? I believe KU lost at home to KSU in the 05-06 season. I think a lot of KU fans felt it coming. I did. It's really no big deal. Should make for a good game in March (or a disaster, whichever you want to call it). And bearded_clam, thanks for your input. Real mature. Presumptions made over a basketball game about students, fans, and others associated with KU is intelligent. To all KU fans; please don't act like this after KU kills KSU next time. Good luck Saturday and Monday hawks!

andyk 6 years, 6 months ago

AH. That's some news. Indeed Hill was arrested. There's something to be proud of. http://www.cjonline.com/stories/013108/bre_kstatehill.shtml

karmaxs3 6 years, 6 months ago

Now that's funny....

I guess when you win a big game every two decades you really have to celebrate. hahahahahahaha

RonBurgandy 6 years, 6 months ago

F*** K-State. Bring on Colorado.

andyk 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd be watchin out if I lived in Pottawatomie County. Sounds like em cops round dem parts is KU fans.

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

It's definitely way more embarrassing to lose at home. I don't know how KSU fans have handled it year after year....decade after decade...

andyk 6 years, 6 months ago

Dang, he's back at it again. Bearded_clam, your myspace account wasn't working.

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

Well bearded_clam, I am neither a gay man, nor a "bandwagon prick" as you so eloquently put it. I happen to be a woman. Sooo...in the words of Scarface...why don't you stick your head up your ass and see if it fits

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

I sure hope all KSU fans aren't such uneducated, arrogant, crude a-holes

andyk 6 years, 6 months ago

No, not all of them are. I know a few good ones.

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

That's a relief. You better watch it bearded_clam you're giving your fans a bad name.

...oh, and what's with all the talk about sexuality? Are you really that uncomfortable with yours that you need to bring it up on a public comment board?

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

Or...you realize that you're a little sh*t kid who loves to give people a hard time in broken english and who is apparently uncomfortable with his sexuality. Oh, and there are only 2 "n"s in Danny smart guy. Good riddance. Get off of here. No one cares about your opinion anyway because all you do is harass people. Have fun cow tipping in Manhattan

Shardwurm 6 years, 6 months ago

"You know how to tell if your Basketball team is good? It's when your fans don't storm the court every time they beat Kansas."

Nor do you discuss having a parade for a football team that didn't even win the Big 12 North.

Be careful what mud you sling.

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, you're welcome and have fun f*cing your sheep in your pink polo

BunE 6 years, 6 months ago

I will grant you that storming the court smacks of insecurity but for pete's sake its 24 in a row! The kids can be forgiven for having a freak out.

"Well, you're welcome and have fun f*cing your sheep in your pink polo"

Dude, its all about the carharts. Why don't you take off your sister's hipster jeans, stop smoking pole and actually move away from Lawrence. You're 38! That job at Free State is NOT cool.

davidsmom 6 years, 6 months ago

I still love the Jayhawks,but seriously, I was pretty disappointed by the fact that they didn't go out there with the intent of winning, because they were not aggressive and acted like they'd never been in a big game or a loud, hostile environment before. Beasley and Walker are not going to be afraid to play at Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks have got to go out there and play aggressively if they don't want K-State to beat them at Allen. That would be horrible. Plus, K-State will probably not lose again so they'll end up at the top of the Big 12 now, a place that should've been ours and could've been. Our guys are so used to winning that maybe they've become complacent. What other explanation is there for that poor performance last night? Maybe this was a wake-up call. If not, they will go out in the first or second round of the tournament. A 20-1 record is a point of pride, but Jayhawk nation will be disappointed if they they lose another game they clearly should not lose. Go Jayhawks!!

karmaxs3 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm really sad for someone who feels the need to use a person's assumed sexual preference as an insult.

Seems like Bearded Clam doth "protest too much"....maybe he feels the need to deny his own inner mind by projecting what he fears/hates on someone else? hmmmmmm

unklemonkey 6 years, 6 months ago

The refs sucked. We'll get 'em when they come here.

In the meantime, go Mizzou!

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

What is it with you bearded_clam? Do you constantly need to be bashing someone to feel better about yourself? As far as KU fans behaving poorly...does that justify your obnoxious, harassing behavior? no. Given your tendency to being crude and insulting I wouldn't be surprised if you picked the fight with the KU fans in the first place. If you want to talk about not being classy why don't you go back and review the posts you've so generously left on here. Yeah, you sound way better than they did. Oh, and as far as "keeping pace with the big dogs" well as far as I know you guys are purple cats...hmmm... Using words like "needledicks" and "pricks" does not make you a bigger person...in fact it gives people the distinct impression that you are an immature loud mouth with too little intelligence to use regular words to express yourself...which, I might add is undoubtedly true.
You're in the wrong territory to be bad mouthing KU. If that's what you really want to do with your time then find somewhere else to do it. I'm sure your uneducated friends would find it hysterical. You are, without question, a terrible reflection of a KSU fan. Stop talking crap while you're ahead.
Hope you had fun with your sheep today.

jayhawker218 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and I don't have a DUI thank you very much. Do you? Would you like to rant about that for a while? Maybe you could throw in some expletives and keep it interesting. That might distract people from the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about. Go back to high school. Maybe you'll learn something...maybe.

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

geesh almighty bearded clam, you may wanna consider anger management!

is that what kswho does to people? turn them in to spitting raving red-faced ranting maniacs? dude, up the meds-you'll be glad you did. and won't have so many thrombos!

buddy2me 6 years, 6 months ago

Ok, so I've read all the comments from both KU and KSU fans. My family is a house divided. It works just fine for us and many others in Lawrence. Some of our family CHOSE to go to KU and others CHOSE to go to KSU. We get a choice to attend the school we want to. There should be no shame in attending college or the choice you made. Sounds like a lot of people need to grow up. KSU fans are not a bunch of stupid hicks and KU fans are not stupid either. KSU has degrees that are specialized as well as KU does. What ever school a person attends is always going to be better than another one, because we CHOSE to go there. That doesn't make the other any less of an insitution. Now come on, there needs to be rivalry and all that, but calling each other names and acting the way people are on this blog, is showing no class for either school, and the "true" fans of both schools would never act like this. Congrats to KSU for a great win and season thus far. And congrats to KU for such a great season so far. Looks like to me, that the country will look at Kansas much different now, we have two teams that are in the top 25 and not to mention that the KSU girls are having a great season, congrats to them! KSU deserved to win, KU didn't play well, and you can't blame it on the refs. It was called bad on both sides. Since I am a follower of a lot of different sports that my kids play in, I look around and it amazes me that if our team doesn't win, it is always because of the refs. This is not the case. Let KSU enjoy their win, and if KU wins here KSU fans remember all the nasty comments on here, you don't want to act like this. Let the better team enjoy their win at whatever sport it is. Go KU and KSU (House divided)!