Letters to the Editor

Poor portrayal

January 30, 2008

To the editor:

I know that this is a tangential issue compared to the more pressing issue of our nation's economy. But I would like to say that I resent the reporter's portrayal of me in "How will you spend 600 bucks?" as materialistic, financially shallow and just a little bit dopey.

The way the article is framed, it makes it look like I am just blowing this money on a computer that I don't need (because there is a Macintosh on my lap, right?). Well here is the reality. I have a girlfriend and daughter. We have been carefully saving for quite some time to get a new computer so they can use the old one referred to in the interview. We would have purchased the computer with or without the government's money because we feel it is a wise investment for communication and education.

I know that reporters are in a rush to produce stories, but this experience really makes me question the veracity of personal interviews. I will read all other personal interviews I encounter with a more critical eye from now on. I really feel that he contorted his interview with me to give him a token dopey impulsive spender to refer to, and, again, I resent that.

Chris Redford,

Lawrence

Comments

Gary Sandell 6 years, 2 months ago

RB--Exactly. This isn't something to help the poor. It's something to help people in the middle class. Meanwhile the poor get poorer.

This rebate is supposed to help "stimulate" the economy and help avoid a ressession, not something designed improve the condition of the poor or to "help people in the middle class". When is the last time you saw the government actually try to "help" the middle class?

Ragingbear 6 years, 2 months ago

~~RB- Is that not the definition of a "rebate" :..Paying back a portion of something that someone has already paid on something. Why would you pay a tax "rebate" to someone who did not pay the tax in the first place?~~

bunnyhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Welcome to the LJW! Their reporting staff seem to enjoy misrepresenting people and using photographs to make fun of them as well.

Of course, the article didn't include any consideration of the fact that the reason the House is so big on this particular solution is likely to be self interest..........they're all up for re-election this fall!!!

Gary Sandell 6 years, 2 months ago

Ragingbear (Anonymous) says: Not to mention that people so poor that they don't have to pay taxes will not see anything of this magical 600 tax rebate that the fluds on Capitol Hill are touting.

RB- Is that not the definition of a "rebate" .....Paying back a portion of something that someone has already paid on something. Why would you pay a tax "rebate" to someone who did not pay the tax in the first place?

lucky_guess 6 years, 2 months ago

Way to go Chris.

And run Linux.

Ragingbear 6 years, 2 months ago

Faux news is exactly that. Bring me something from at least CNN or MSNBC.

TS20twenty 6 years, 2 months ago

RB ~ here's a link to a Fox news article about the $3000 income.

Ragingbear 6 years, 2 months ago

~~RB, according to the information I have read, anyone making more than $3,000/year will receive some sort of rebate, even if they haven't paid any taxes.~~

Care to cite any sources? Your uncle Fred with the metal plate in his head does not count.

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

The comment is worthwhile.

I have been interviewed several times, both in print and for television. In all cases, the interviews were edited so that they failed to present my comments in context. In addition, in a couple of them, factual information was presented inaccurately and important information was left out. Also, in one case, I requested a copy of the article before it was published to check for such mistakes, was assured that would be fine, but did not receive one.

Ragingbear 6 years, 2 months ago

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 2 months ago

Dude, you've got some mighty thin skin. Better toughen up and grow a pair before you graduate.

(Yeah, I know the comment will probably be yanked.)