Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, January 29, 2008

House fire blamed on soldered pipes

January 29, 2008

Advertisement

Sunday fire accidental

The Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical Department said on Monday that Sunday's blaze at a vacant home in eastern Lawrence was accidental. Enlarge video

A two-alarm blaze Sunday at a vacant east Lawrence home was accidental, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical officials said Monday.

The fire that broke out about 4:30 p.m. Sunday at a house in the 1200 block of East 13th Street was caused by the soldering of copper pipes, said Division Chief Eve Tolefree.

The owner was remodeling the home, and neighbors reported seeing construction crews working inside the house just hours before the flames appeared.

It took firefighters about an hour to get the flames under control.

No one was injured in the fire, which caused an estimated $80,000 in damage.

Comments

toefungus 6 years, 6 months ago

This house is worth more than 80K? What kind of taxes are they paying on it?

0

leadstone 6 years, 6 months ago

Alas, I narrowly avoid a terrible fate. The house is only 2 homes away from my residence. With all of the space-heater usage in my place I'm amazed I haven't had a similar experience. Thankfully, no one was hurt and the fire was contained, not spreading down the block. Good Job, LFD!

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.