Archive for Sunday, January 27, 2008

State GOP takes stand on requiring voter ID

January 27, 2008

— The Kansas Republican Party favors legislation to require that voters show photo identification at the polls.

The GOP's State Committee unanimously approved a resolution supporting the proposal Saturday.

The resolution says the party supports requiring people to show some form of government-issued identification when they register to vote and when they go to the polls.

Supporters say the measure will combat election fraud and prevent illegal immigrants from casting ballots. Critics contend such a law will suppress turnout.

Comments

Susan Mangan 6 years, 11 months ago

"They want closed primaries, because they want the leaders of the party to wield all the power."

Ummmm...no. I'm not a party leader, but I sure as hell don't want someone from another party, out to defeat mine, to decide what candidate represents ME and MY beliefs in the election. If you want to choose one of the candidates, sign up to vote in their party. That candidate is supposed to represent the constituents who elected them...not every moron who didn't have to go to work that day and thought, "Gee! Let's see what idiot I can vote for!" @@ You think everyone should be allowed to vote in everyone else's primary so we can all hold hands afterwards and sing about togetherness???

getreal 6 years, 11 months ago

The GOP keeps suggesting that illegal immigrants are voting. Where's the proof that this is taking place in Kansas? The GOP consistently looks for ways to suppress voters. They want closed primaries, because they want the leaders of the party to wield all the power. They don't care what every day voters have to say. That's why I'm changing my party affiliation on Feb. 5th at the Democratic Caucus!

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 11 months ago

Liberals like getreal only want election safeguards put in place after a crime has occured. Others want sensible measures put in place to prevent voter fraud from ever happening.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 11 months ago

" Where's the proof that this is taking place in Kansas?"

Where is the proof that it is NOT occurring in Kansas? If one has a DL legal or otherwise, you can register in Kansas, and you will receive help in Spanish. Now, I have no problem giving a legal immigrant or a legal resident a help in voting if they qualify, but nothing and I mean nothing for ilelgal aliens with no identities.

I bet you would not be saying that if they voted in the majority for Republicans!

ASBESTOS 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh, and "get real" I believe it was a majority of "Republicans" that were "Blamed" for calling in in such large numbers that they shut down the Senate, House, and Whitehouse switchboards, email boxes, and fax machines in opposing the "Comprehensive Immigrations Stupidity Plan". It was Harry Reid (the American Traitor) that called ilelgal aliens "un documented Americans", that brought this to a vote TWICE, and lost TWICE with a democratic majority!!!!!! By Harry Reid's definitions the entire world are "American Citizens", because they are "undocumented".

Mike Blur 6 years, 11 months ago

Gosh Asbestos, are you off your meds? Even third graders know that you cannot prove an absence of action. This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums--and given the company I have to keep in this little virtual sandbox, that's saying something.

Myself, over the past 25 years, I have been waiting for the first verifiable case of an illegal immigrant even registering, much less voting.

In any case, it is a known fact that in 1986, Ronnie Reagan and the Republican-controlled US Congress authorized the first, and so far only blanket amnesty program for illegals, almost instantaneously granting 2 million Mexicans citizenship. This was done as tactic to shore up the eroding Republican voter base.

Take time to talk to a Mexican-American in their 40s or 50s these days, and you will find out they love Ronnie Reagan, and vote straight-line Republican. Legally. Ronnie made 'em legal.

There is no doubt that Latino voters legalized by Reagan in the 80s swayed the vote in both 2000 and 2004 for Dumbya. I know I voted differently and ASBESTOS and his Reagan-loving, Mexican American friends.

Do not be surprised if Bush tries to push for amnesty for the estimated 12-14 million illegals in America now. He's got a year left to at least try. He's had seven years to lead the way in fighting illegal immigration. Lemme ask you ASBESTOS. Name, for me, one truly effective measure Shrub has taken in 7 years to try to deter the presence of illegals in this country?

I'm waiting.

sdinges 6 years, 11 months ago

I think people on both sides make this out to be a far bigger deal than it actually is. Our government wastes our money on worse things than issuing photo IDs to people who have no passport, no driver's license or no naturalization certificate (they even give you picture ID when you complete the citizenship process!). Which means the only people needing picture IDs to vote are citizens who are born in the U.S., don't drive and never leave the country. These people also don't drink, smoke, or patronize strip clubs, because that would also require I.D.

Secondly, I seriously doubt illegal immigrants are rushing out en masse to commit voting fraud. Illegal immigrants are often afraid to go to the hospital or file a police report, for fear of getting caught and deported. Furthermore, voting fraud is a quick way to make sure you can never pursue a legal path to citizenship in this country. It's right up there with ticking the "Yes" box for being a member of the Nazi Party, or being a habitual drunkard and engaging in prostitution, while testing positive for TB and AIDS.

It's not unreasonable to expect people to show I.D. when they vote. It seems like a no-brainer to ensure there's only one vote per person. I don't know why it's made out to be an immigration issue.

average 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm for it. But, the various levels of government need to figure out how everyone who will need an ID to vote can get one for free. The state will have to pick up the tab of finding and verifying obscure and difficult birth certificates and whatever other documentation is needed. No "photo fees". No renewal fees. No change of address fee. No charge to replace lost IDs (up to a reasonable 2 or 3 a year). Not even postage. Until the Repubs are willing to fund it, this is a poll tax on targeted segments of our community.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 11 months ago

This is sooo simple, ID is required for so many things, why is this a big deal? Show your ID and vote.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

-- looks like the democrat party wants fraudulant voting? is it because they have profited by it?

when congresswoman sanchez was first elected in southern cal there were reports that illegals were voting in that, but Bob Dornan chose not to contest it, just as nixon in '60 chose not to contest kennedy's win, though there was good evidence a crime boss in chicago engineered his win.

remember, it was democrats, algore/lawyersin every florida county of florida, trying to suppress the counting of military overseas ballots in 2000, that is a well reported fact.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 11 months ago

"This bill will never see the light of day.

It will be overturned on the grounds that it constitutes an illegal polling tax."

NOPE! NY has the "motor voter bill" and it is not a polling tax, and Georgia also has the same law as well.

And there are NO legal challanges to it as well.

You are wrong.

Why do you guys want to "disenfranchise" American Citizens?

ASBESTOS 6 years, 11 months ago

I guess there is a lot of white hater racists on here as well.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 11 months ago

I haven't had to re-register in about 8 years, since I moved last, but I'm real sure I had to show an id when I did. Why would I have to show it again, unless, someone tried to use my name to vote. Then I could prove who I am, and the other person would go to jail.

jaketh 6 years, 11 months ago

If you are going to have voter ID, then, the rule needs to enforced fairly. The election poll officers need to be trained to treat everyone equally, ie, check everyone's ID regardless who they are. I have noticed white voters not being asked for their ID, whereas, non-white voters (who had non-American sounding names) were asked for their IDs right here in Lawrence.

jaketh 6 years, 11 months ago

The greatest fear is fear itself. GOP is quite good at perpuating this myth.

Illegal immigrants voting. Give me a break. What a farce. Prove it. Give us some facts. This is propoganda bs. Most migrants can barely read & comprehend English, let alone familiarize themselves with the 101 issues, judges, school board members, City, County, State house & senate, House of Representives or US Senate races. It is barely manageable for a normal American to be aware of all the issues.

Besides, we should concentrate more on increasing voter participation not creating road blocks. Only 40% vote.

deskboy04 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't see what the problem is with requiring ID.

jaketh 6 years, 11 months ago

Dirty Linen:

It seems all the examples you point out are of American citizens filling out ballots for their dead spouses as you posted at 8:26 PM. Americans are causing voter frauds, not illegals which is the rationale of the KS GOP for passing this law.

It seems the problems lie in absentee ballots, not, voting in person.

Your point is moot. Where is the proof that illegal migrants were voting? All the examples you have given above are of US citizens. Case closed.

jaketh 6 years, 11 months ago

and all I said about that was that proof is impossible because there's no way of knowing who votes illegally- Dirty

You yourself just refuted all the claims that you have made. If you do not have any evidence, then, you have no basis to make a claim. Your argument lacks reasoning skills.

As for my rationale, may be you should scroll up & read the article on the very top. What does the title say? "State GOP takes stand on requiring voter ID" & especially, the last paragraph which states, "Supporters say the measure will combat election fraud and prevent illegal immigrants from casting ballots."

To prevent election fraud, your own evidence suggests we should tackle the problem of absentee ballots.

There is no evidence that illegal migrants vote. Migrants are easy targets when economic harship is faced by the country for the very fact they do NOT vote!

Only American citizens vote. If illegal migrants were voting, i think the the politicians would be listening to their issues. Isn't that how things work in our democracy? Ha! Ha!

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 11 months ago

This is totally unfair! If I'm required to show my ID to vote, how will I be able to cast multiple votes for my favorite candidate?

jaketh 6 years, 11 months ago

Dirty:

Read the news above again. Its in b&w. If this legislation is to prevent voter fraud, then say so. Tackle the issues. Why is the KS GOP & their supporters using illegal migrants as a means to pass their legislation. Its because they are easy targets. GOP is messing with your minds. No wonder people like you get riled up when they claim illegals are voting...

I'm the KS GOP. "Hmmm how can I get my difficult legislation passed? Ohhhh lets say its to prevent illegals. People will surely buy that." Ka Chingggg...

bunnyhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

There is far more evidence of GOP tricks to keep Democratic votes from being counted than there is of any type of individual voter fraud. Gee.........remember how we got stuck with GWB in the first place?????????????

jayhawkbarrister 6 years, 11 months ago

DirtyLinen,

Heinrich Himmler called. He wants to pin on you a Star of the Vaderland for your glorious work on behalf of the Reich. The Fuhrer would give it to you himself, but you know how busy he is. National Identification cards were the first step in the categorization of individuals in Nazi Germany eight months before Krystallnacht (state-sponsored book burning). What followed were J-Stamps, the requirement of wearing the Star of David, and the Final Solution that murdered six million. Even if ID cards will prevent voter fraud as you allege (and there is no evidence that voter fraud will stop -- it just will happen in the future with an ID card), I will put up with a little voter fraud in the alternative. I don't want to go down that slippery slope of a national ID card as a society or as an individual.

I find your vociferous defense of the ID card and your childlike faith in the system amusing. Now, go get your Star.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry for the Krazy Kool aide Krowd, but this is about ILELGAL ALIENS voting. Who in their right mind would allow another country's citizen to participate in OUR ELECTIONS!!!!! Who would be against that? Who would suppport ilelgal aliens voting but not requiring there not be appropriate IDs. You need them to register anyway. You need them to set up a bank account, and get just about anything else.

Additionally this is not a Republican Party issue, look at the proposals from the Democrats to stop ilelgal immigration into the state and to prevent them from getting benefits.

Most Americans, that is reasonable and rational Amercans both D's and R's recopgnise the problem of illegal immigration.