Archive for Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dole gives $500K to namesake institute

January 24, 2008

Former Senator donates $500,000 to Dole Institute

Former Senator Bob Dole donated $500,000 to the institute at KU that bears his name. With the gift the endowment at the Dole Institute of Politics grows to $8.5 million, on the way to its goal of $20 million. Enlarge video

A large gift from former Sen. Bob Dole to Kansas University's Dole Institute of Politics will help fund future programming, KU announced Wednesday.

The $500,000 gift came at the end of December and will be added to the institute's endowment. Jonathan Earle, the institute's interim director, said the gift boosts the total endowment to $8.5 million, the interest of which supports programs like the Dole Lecture, the Dole Fellows and the presidential lecture series.

"It was a very big surprise," Earle said. "I'm planning to meet with him in Washington, D.C., next week about if there's any specific program he wants us to use it for."

Earle noted that the gift was especially important to him because he's normally the institute's associate director for programming.

In a statement released by KU, Dole thanked the university for its support of his work.

"I hope my contribution will underscore my commitment to bipartisanship and will encourage others to participate," he said. "The institute is all about the future and the students of today who will be the leaders of tomorrow. The institute's record speaks for itself, and I am proud to play a small part in its success."

Shawn McDaniel, the KU Endowment director for the Dole Institute, said fundraising for the Dole Institute totaled more than $2 million in 2007, with a goal of hitting a $20 million endowment over time.

"It's a long-term goal. It's an ambitious goal," he said. "There isn't a timeline for its completion, but it's a priority for KU Endowment."

McDaniel said one of the biggest challenges is identifying those who would contribute to the endowment and reaching out to them.

Dole Institute Director Bill Lacy, who has been on a leave of absence to run Fred Thompson's recently ended presidential campaign, said the gift was above and beyond anything that the institute would ever expect from the senator.

"I think it further shows the senator's enormous support for the institute and its mission," Lacy said. "It shows he's really pleased with the direction the institute is taking."

Comments

bangaranggerg 6 years, 8 months ago

I can guarentee you he just did this to get better seats in Allen Fieldhouse.

belle 6 years, 8 months ago

According to the photo...they also give money to plastic surgeons.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 8 months ago

Why are you so obsessed with this issue that you feel the need to post in multiple places? Why does it bother you? Why are you still conscious enough after chugging a pint of cough syrup to operate a computer?

Life is full of mysteries, I guess, is my point.

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree, Belle. That's quite a facelift.

Nate Poell 6 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, I try not to get too into making fun of folks because of their looks, but Bob looks really odd in that photo.

cool, here's a well-reasoned, level-headed response to the videos you posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJ...

Moderateguy 6 years, 8 months ago

Holy cow! He looks like Fire Marshal Bill !

Write2Know 6 years, 8 months ago

His plastic surgery, how about hers? At least I recognize Bob. I'd never recognize Elizabeth.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 8 months ago

Good grief. The man just gave 1/2 mil to the University. Give him a break!!! Thanks Senator Dole for not forgetting your roots.

To Cool: you are not.

countrygirl 6 years, 8 months ago

cool--why not? Many of us in the midwest would never get to see something like that if they weren't there.

tolawdjk 6 years, 8 months ago

"After the attacks, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg presented the steel beams to former Sen. Robert Dole, R-Kan., as a gift of appreciation for his work with President Clinton on the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund, which provides post-secondary scholarships for the children of Sept. 11 victims."

He could keep his steal beams at his house, or at his institute.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 8 months ago

I've had some 'Tussin, so I've changed my mind. I'm on cool's side now.

Tolawdjk-- That's nice to know, but my question is "Why?" Because what does that have to do with Kansas? What does that have to do with Bob Dole? What does that have to do with anything? Why can't I feel my face?