Letters to the Editor

Intolerant view

January 15, 2008

To the editor:

I happen to think that public criticism of other people's religious beliefs and actions can be useful, legitimate, and even politically necessary. However, open religious bigotry is wrong.

But how do you draw the line? Here are some clues:

¢ Valid criticism is always limited to clearly identified statements or actions of specific persons or organizations.

¢ Any critical statement that applies categorically to all members of a religious group is bigoted on its face.

By that standard Cal Thomas is a long-standing, multiple-repeat-offender, anti-Muslim propagandist.

Here some examples from over 50 anti-Muslim Cal Thomas columns published in the Journal-World:

¢ "Anyone who has studied Islamic societies : knows segregation and subjugation of non-Muslims is the norm, not the behavior of an 'extremist fringe.'" (Jan. 9, 2008).

¢ "How can the president say that we all worship the same God when Muslims deny the divinity of Jesus." (Oct. 10, 2007)

¢ "Muslims are building mosques (in the U.S.) faster than coffee shop chains. The Saudis, who teach the most violent strain of Islam, underwrite most of them." (May, 11, 2007)

¢ ": suicide bombers go through stages : The most important stage is conforming them to the (Muslim) ideology." (quoted with approval, Aug. 21, 2006)

¢ "Israel's enemies are all of the same piece. : There are no 'moderates,' at least none who have the power to make peace." (July 19, 2006)

It is hard to understand why such hateful remarks are being published in a generally tolerant community like Lawrence that includes many Muslims.

David Burress,

guesswho 7 years, 10 months ago

Hatred of Americans is not limited to Muslims.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Correct. However, Christianity certainly has its moments that require a willing suspension of disbelief.

or a willingness to believe.

Confrontation 7 years, 10 months ago

All of you Christians would have your panties in a wad if Coward Thomas was stereotyping all Christians. Yes, I'm lumping you all together. Hyprocrites.

craigers 7 years, 10 months ago

No doubt snap_pop_no_crackle!! Ohhh snap!

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

Lump away confrontation. Many Christians are used to the "tolerance" they receive in Lawrence. If you spend much time at all on these threads, you'll find much more intolerance towards Christians than you will towards Muslims.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Thinking that as an anonymous poster on a newspaper article thread you have all the answers and everyone should agree with you . . now that would require a willing suspension of disbelief.

Tom McCune 7 years, 10 months ago

Cal Thomas is the only editorial writer in the country who is less coherent than DS. That's why the LJW runs CT's columns. (To make DS look good.)

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

You don't need an example from me, you've given us plenty..........with each pathetic little comment.

audvisartist 7 years, 10 months ago

I have an idea! Let's get rid of all religion and instead embrace something like Deism or for all you non-believers out there, Atheism! That'd save us a whole heck of a lot of trouble if we could just get rid of the dogma associated with religion don't you think? :D

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

Lying is your game scenebooster and I'll hand it to you, you are very good at it. Of course, lying to yourself for years and years is probably good practice.

unclebiff 7 years, 10 months ago

navin r johnson.....nice...i used to use that name..sigh.

Corey Williams 7 years, 10 months ago

Cal Thomas is paid to write editorials and has nothing to do with journalism. That way, when people say he's wrong about something he can say that whatever he wrote is his own opinion. Although he is better than most on the conservative side, he is just like the rest who write editorials and opinion pieces: he wants to push his own agenda.

As to whether anything he writes is true or not, it's very debatable. Just like it's debatable whether or not "Millions of extremist Muslims want us to take a dirt nap".

Most of these people are just reactionary. They write what they do because they know it will upset some people and reinforce the beliefs of others. When they can make you upset about what they write, their job is done.

rtwngr 7 years, 10 months ago

So, David, it's alright for someone to speak their opinion as long as it agrees with you? If you knew anything about Islam you would agree with a couple of those statements. If you knew anything about Christianity you would agree with one. I.E. The Christian god does not promise an eternity of fornication with virgins for sacrificing yourself in a jihad. Think about it.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh, one more thing.

"The far-left SP's wouldn't understand/know this but one big, big, big Christian dude was persecuted/sacrificed for all mankinds sin. Is that not good enough?"

Christ wasn't a Christian. He was Jewish.

Now if you want to claim Jews are persecuted, then we have a good new starting point.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

What's with these 80 or so posts, when the whole issue was expressed so lucidly by Mancityfooty in the second post from the top?

Speakout 7 years, 10 months ago

No where in the Qur'an or sayings of the Prophet does Islam promote killing of non-combantants or children and women. NOR does it promise the opportunity to fornicate with virgins, nothing is said about these items anywhere in Religious writings about Islam. But they exist in the minds of terrorists who want to pursuade others to join their terror. What better attention getter than the hope of getting 70 virgins? They drum this into their heads and it is powerful because most of these "Jihadists", as Americans call them, are unmarried, and probably have never had fornication in their lives. What a thing to wish for.

moo 7 years, 10 months ago

shockchalk, what you are referring to isn't generally intolerance, although Christians on this forum tend to immediately call it that and make a snide comment about liberal "tolerance." Rather what you are taking as intolerance is simply comments by people who are tired of having Christian morals, values, beliefs, and lifestyles projected on our government and forced on non-Christians' personal lives. I have no problem with what anyone believes about life, death, and where humans came from. I am no more intolerant of Christians than any other religion. I simply won't tolerate having other people's beliefs and values foisted upon me.

craigers 7 years, 10 months ago

You're funny scenebooster. Flat out incorrect, but funny. I see persecution of Christians in things, yes but all is an incorrect statement meant to stir the pot. And "Oh snap" is something that I have heard numerous people still use, so I guess it's not out yet. However my friends are of the cave-man believeing in God (stomp, stomp, beat chest) kind so we might be a little out of date for you.

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

I didn't mention anything about being persecuted. I only mentioned the "tolerance" that is displayed when someone identifies themselves as a Christian. And many of you have proved that point with your narrowminded little posts. You consistantly and constantly lump all Christians into one group. You refuse to even listen to a view, idea, or comment from anyone who does not fit into your tiny little clique of accepted behavior. You only have room for others that think just like you. You have proven my point for me by getting completely bent when anyone on these forums eludes to being a Christian. Do you really believe that Christians have no good qualities, characteristics, attitudes, behaviors, etc.? Do you think that a Christian ever does anything postive? Does that mean one of the first things you do when looking for a service is make sure your doctor, lawyer, professor, builder, server, hair stylist, store clerk, co-worker, are not a Christian because that would make them less of a person in your eyes? Wow, there is definitely a lot of tolerance around here isn't there?

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

If you read up, it's easy to see the only one wetting their panties are the same ones bashing "all" Christians and any comment, idea, thought, or suggestion they might have. I don't see any Christians bashing anyone.

Ironic indeed.........that many of you feel the need to attack Christians regardless of any prior or present comment. Your attacks are based solely on the fact that someone identifies as a Christian. Once again, you have proven my point and each time you post, you solidify my point about how intolerant you are. In your little narrow-minded world, only people that think like you do have any validity in your eyes. What a sad little life you must have only being able to handle opinions that agree with yours and never being able to listen to another's point. The true hallmark of someone suffering from insecurity and low self-esteem. Please get some help so you can broaden your mind and learn something for a change.

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 10 months ago

The Quran is broken in to three parts if I remember correctly. You may be correct the Religion Based section may not have been Allah's word. The portions you site come from the sections which were the wrod of Allah through the Prophet Mohamed. Let me give the references.

"No where in the Qur'an or sayings of the Prophet does Islam promote killing of non-combantants or children and women." Mostly they talk about taking them as captives and slaves to do as you will. Additionally women and children both muslim and dhimmis are considered property. Here are a few references. Qur'an 9:73 47:4 4:34 2:223 2:282 24:13 4:3 4:11 4:34 65:4

"NOR does it promise the opportunity to fornicate with virgins, nothing is said about these items anywhere in Religious writings about Islam."

LEt me give you a couple references of the description of Paradise as it related to Umayr bin al-Humam in the Qur'an which discusses and describes the virigns and boy servants who are as "handsome as pearls well guarded" and "youths of perpetual freshness" 78:31 37:48 44:54 52:20 55:56 56:36 52:24 56:17

Lets also recap the actions of the 9/11 suspects who were given permission to "blend in" as unbelievers by acting like them by drinking alcohol and and dressing non traditionally. These guys were going to strip clubs and partying it up before they went through with the plans.

RedwoodCoast 7 years, 10 months ago

I know that I've never read or heard ANYTHING that smacks of Christian hegemony in this country... I'm not Christian, but I welcome others to be if they so choose. I guess just don't care to hear about God, Jesus, the Bible, etcs. because it is a set of beliefs that makes absolutely no logical sense to me.

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 10 months ago

I have to agree Christians are not profiled in the US based on appearance, but they have in Muslim countries for centuries. They are called Dhimmi's and even in this day and age they are required to pay specific taxes to continue to practice their christian or jewish religions in their countries this is a hold over from the creation of the religion which was one of the three original options the Prophet gave a vaquished people convert, pay the tax or die.

Today though in many of these countries variations of this rule are used when a "Dhimmi group" applies for a building permit or other licensing document, they would have to pay more than a muslim or the request would be denied and a muslim company would take over the site for lack of permits or license reasons.

The Phophet did recognize Jesus, Moses and a few other religons as Prophets but Mohamed was the final Prophet. Also what is usually glossed over is the muslims of old did not recognize Hindus or Buddists nor any other pagan religion so they were not offered the three options on many occasions. There were many instances of this throughout history including Mongols reaching out to Europe in the 1200s to get an alliance going against muslim attacks.

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

No Scene, it is you that is truly the worst kind of poster because you are a narrow-minded, intolerant, ignorant, arrogant, sad little person who is so inadequate, thay you rely on criticizing others to make your point. What anyone, and everyone, can see is that you are intolerant of Christians and any point of view they may have.

logic, you must not have read any comments other than sceneboosters because most of them are about your asinine post, not mine. Scenebooster is the only one obsessed about my post and that is because he is insecure and unhappy with his life. You, in typical fashion, just jumped on the bandwagon to bash me, and any other Christian that might share an opinion other than yours.

By the way, the resurrection and Jesus' appearance afterwards are historical proof. Over 500 people saw him after the crucifiction. By the way, this history wasn't recorded by Christians but by the very people that hung him on the cross.

Corey Williams 7 years, 10 months ago

Was that Falwell ("Billy Graham is the chief servant of Satan in America.")? Robertson's still alive so I know it's not him ("Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It's no different. It is the same thing. It is happening all over again. It is the Democratic Congress, the liberal-based media and the homosexuals who want to destroy the Christians."). Oh, maybe you mean Jesus ("Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.")?

Unless you are being tortured and killed because of your religion, then you really have no grounds to claim persecution.

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

Try to keep up mancityfooty.......no one said that they were being persecuted. What was said, was that Christian view, comments, ideas, etc. receive less tolerance than Muslims do and you, along with logicbound have proven that point with every stroke of your insecure fingers.

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 10 months ago

I have to agree I don't think it is overt discrimination but Lawrence is an equal opportunity discrimnator. Most of the religions in town have been targets including the christian religion. I recall the "prayer booth" being vandalized but the Jewish Community, the Mosque and other places of worship have been damaged in a similar fashion as well.

Corey Williams 7 years, 10 months ago

"Christians are persecuted en masse every day by far-left, secular-progressives."

Wow, I didn't know that there were far-left, secular-progressive in "...China, North Korea and Malaysia, through India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka to Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey..." where real religious persecution occurs.

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

Scenebooster.......I was referring to my posts, not anyone else's.

logic............Don't worry, millions of people believe that to be a fact. Another fact, it that an overwhelming number of Americans (over 80%) believe in the crucifixion and the resurrection. By the way, truth doesn't rely on years to be truth. 2 minutes or 2 thousand years doesn't change the truth. You see, it's just not the Christians you despise in Lawrence that believe, they are everywhere.

Navin_R_Johnson 7 years, 10 months ago

i think the point many wingnuts have missed above, and this is an ol' story, is that when left leanin' columnists on the ljw take shots at Christians, and they are legion, many of the aformentioned wingnuts above are silent as tit mice!

now, if the spear of scrutiny is turned toward the muslim religion, these same mice come out of the closet swinging in defense of islam like sweltering imams on a wild friday night in sweat-soaked mosque. course ya'll do have alot in common, but that's another subject.

left leaning nutbags have their bigotry and the righties have theirs. quit yer whinin', shut up and grow up. if the ljw wishes to marginally pretend to the facade that they are 'fair and balanced' by giving print space to Cal, then let 'em. course lefties would just cry, whine and wring their hands in hysterics because they disagree with the "tone" of a columnist or that he's "hateful" or "bigoted" or worse, "homophobic" or any other such idiotic politically charged epithets that seek to limit opposing opinions, because they'res way outside the bounds of approved DNC talking points.

some may "feel" Cal should not be given print space, but let us all thank whatever one believes in that they don't make decisions, because their idea of publishable opinion pieces (be they left OR right) is limited to those columnists who hold only the same idiot opinions as they.

RedwoodCoast 7 years, 10 months ago

Here is my problem with Christianity in this country:

In the United States, we have many different religions. One of those religions is Christianity. Yet, the only religion in this country whose practitioners hegemonically position their faith in the dominant role is Christianity.

And saying that ALL Muslims are categorically dangerous and intolerant simply because they follow Islam is nothing but supreme irony when coming from any Christian on this board who feels that Christians are persecuted in this country.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 10 months ago

Males, Christians and Republicans are oppressed in this country. Can't you tell?~P

One thing is for sure. Because they are in the majority, their little baby cakes whining is VERy LOUd!~)

Let's all sing...toGETher, now...

This is MY country! Land of my birth! This is MY country! Grandest ON earth! I PLEDGE thee MY allegiance, 'mericaca, the BOLD, For this is MY country to HAVE and to HOLD!

- Just kiddin', y'all. We gots to get over ourselves.

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 10 months ago

THat is a silly argument. The FBI did go around contacting Uhaul/Rental truck and storage companies and left flyers for owner operators to call them if they saw certain activites or "profiles" come in. I saw a flyer when I went in to rent a truck to move during that time period. I also saw a new version after 9/11 when I rented a storage unit for a period of time when I was moving out of my last home and did not have enough space.

Another thing they did a lot after OKC and leading up to Y2K to the white guys was profile at the gun shows. I saw a few folks getting checked in the mid 1990s at Topeka and Lawrence shows. One guy with knives with Nazi symbols on the handles was constantly eyeballed. THis was probably more low key due to the NRA lobby.

bunnyhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

All this talk about religion...................

What about the Golden Rule??

mmmmmm.........guess that idea doesn't really fit in very well with the so-called Christian right's world view.........perhaps they're stuck in the Old Testament and really haven't embraced Christian ethics after all!

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

I haven't been persecuted today but...........I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn once.

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

Wait a minute scenebooster..........I know one time you lied for sure.........it was when you called me a liar.

Anyway, I liked it better when you were civil towards me and not so hateful.

Let's all hope for a KU victory against the hateful, intolerant, lying, rude, and socially unacceptable basketball team that is known as Mizzou!

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

I do call myself a Christian and yet, I still make all kinds of mistakes, day after day. Say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing, etc. Being a Christian doesn't change the fact that I'm human.

By the way, not sure which "lies" you are talking about but it isn't false or a lie that there is more intolerance on this board towards Christians and their views than there is towards Muslims and their views. This is once again proven by only reading up from here.

Still not sure why you have to be hateful when you have exchanges with me but hey, that's your perogative.