Archive for Friday, January 11, 2008

Officers work to rid stores of crude drug pipes

January 11, 2008

City cracking down on sale of drug paraphernalia

Local law enforcement officials announced a crackdown on convenience stores and other retail shops selling illegal drug paraphernalia. Enlarge video

It only costs $2.35.

For just the change in your pocket and a trip to a local convenience store, you can purchase a crack pipe or glass pipe used to inhale methamphetamine.

"These were just bought yesterday," Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said Thursday, holding a small glass cylinder containing incense. Another glass tube held a synthetic rose.

Douglas County law enforcement officials announced Thursday they will begin cracking down on local convenience stores and retail shops that sell items such as these, now considered illegal drug paraphernalia. A check of several Lawrence stores Thursday showed the items were readily available.

"These are squarely illegal, and you can't sell them," Branson said. "You're going to have to get them off the shelves."

It's a problem Branson and state Rep. Paul Davis, D-Lawrence, have been addressing for nearly two years.

Davis introduced a bill in the Kansas House during the 2006 legislative session that changed the definition of drug paraphernalia.

"That bill allowed us to really get at items like this that are available at convenience stores here in Lawrence and throughout Kansas that really have no other purpose than to inhale meth," Davis said.

Then in 2007, the law got some more teeth.

The term drug paraphernalia was expanded to include some of the definitions now used in federal law. And perhaps the biggest help to officers and prosecutors was there no longer has to be evidence of drug residue on the paraphernalia.

"The Legislature has been able to form a statute that we can really work with at this point," Branson said. "This isn't going to stop people from doing drugs, but it's going to make it less available, and if we can make it less available even a little bit, it helps."

Starting today, the Lawrence-Douglas County Drug Enforcement Unit will begin an "educational" enforcement of the new law.

Douglas County Sheriff Ken McGovern said officers will hand out fliers and information to local store owners to make them aware of the changes in state law. He praised lawmakers for their work last session.

"I think it's a big step on the part of the Legislature to understand that there is a big meth problem out there, and these little things can only help," McGovern said. "It's (meth) a terrible drug, and we've got to take steps to intervene."

After an initial educational period, officers will enforce the new law. The penalties for selling drug paraphernalia include a maximum of two years in prison and up to $100,000 in fines.

During enforcement, officials said, officers will conduct random, unannounced inspections of local convenience stores and other retail shops to make sure everyone is complying with the new state law.

Comments

TheGoldenBoy 7 years, 2 months ago

Ok, so now that we have gotten those glass pipes off the shelves what is next tire gauges?

classclown 7 years, 2 months ago

I've seen people smoke dope using beer/soda cans. How long until we remove that form of drug paraphernalia off the shelves?

Ragingbear 7 years, 2 months ago

In other news, you can still smoke marijuana with an apple.

Kaw Pickinton 7 years, 2 months ago

Does this mean I can't smoke roll-your-own tobacco anymore because my unused papers are paraphernalia?

Meth/Crack users need help beyond laws against ugly fake roses in test tubes.

themomof4js 7 years, 2 months ago

I personally was happy to read the article, it's about time they did something. What about the digital scales that convenience stores sell? Isn't that included? I also think that if they would start cracking down more on the dealers, it would help alot. I know of a convenience store that is known for "drug dealing" and it's very sad. All ages, I've seen it. I also hope that those that don't comply get what they deserve.

cowboy 7 years, 2 months ago

watched people at the middle eastern quick shop on 23rd ask for brillo pads , clerk pulls it out from under the counter , same store that got busted for ephedrine sales years ago , great huh ?

doc1 7 years, 2 months ago

This is a good thing. Even if it doesn't stop the problem. What are we telling children when they see drug paraphernalia for sale at these places. It sends the message that drugs aren't that bad and it's not a big deal. Good job on stopping the sale of this crap. Honestly how much extra does one of these sleazy shops make off this crap. $2.00 a day if that? The irony is that the crackheads usually rob the sleazy stores that sell this crap, because thats what their familiar with.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 2 months ago

There you have it, you crack demons. You are now shut DOWN. It will be imPOSSible for you to smoke crack from now ON!~) ...stupid political shi+e...

nobody1793 7 years, 2 months ago

Just outlaw air. You can't smoke drugs without oxygen, and there's nearly 20% oxygen in the air right now! Congress knows this and refuses to act!

akt2 7 years, 2 months ago

Call me old fashioned, but what do you do with a Brillo pad? In my day we had head shops. There was one in Lawrence that had a rolling paper machine outside, so you could buy rolling papers 24/7. Of course we were allowed a smoking area at high school too. And you could smoke on planes, and at your desk at the office. Oh the good old days.

freeordie 7 years, 2 months ago

Better outlaw map gas torches and pyrex test tubes, that's what the real meth users use. They are usually too paranoid to go and buy those pipes at the store. Ever known someone addicted to meth or crack? Yeah, this will end the madness, right. Shows how clueless law enforcement is.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

Don't worry, I am sure many websites are dedicated to show users how to create your own "bong".

But that being said, while we are getting rid of those, can we also get rid of the "gambling machines" at places like the bowling alley (I saw it last night) and convenience stores. You know, the coin drop games and those stupid slot machines that are "prepaid phone cards"? Save those for the casinos. At least with the lottery tickets and Powerball/Keno you can control who uses them to over 18 better.

Boston_Charley 7 years, 2 months ago

So, I've been thinking again and thinking again and I can't think of a time when a person who had just bought fittings for a water heater was stopped on the way home on drug charges because of it. How about a link to the story on this?

Also, yeah, me too I don't know what you do with Brillo pads. They would make lousy brownies.

Boston_Charley 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh. Shoulda known it would be on wikipedia.

ksdivakat 7 years, 2 months ago

I know thi sis gonan be a stupid question, but is there really a big meth problem here in lawrence?? Can anyone point out a story where theres been a meth lab busted here?? I just cant recall hearing of anything, not that it doesnt happen, im sure it does, but is it that big of a problem?? And the crack heads too, Im not hearing anything in the news about drug busts or crackhead arrests?? Am i just missing it all somehow??

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

Thanks enforcer learn somethign everyday. Meth is a "poor people" drug, and yes it's a problem. I don't think you hear about drugs in Lawrence until you catch a dealer, or violence from someone on drugs, usually crack.

They had a whole season on "The Shield" where the dealers where going from crack to "tar", so customers whould not become as violent, and not be as big of a police activity.

Raymond Munoz 7 years, 2 months ago

ksdivakat: I don't know if there's a "big" meth problem in Lawrence, but I definitely know there's a meth problem judging from the amount of people that come into my office because their teeth are all messed up due to meth use.

alm77 7 years, 2 months ago

divacat, our "neighbors" down the street got busted about a year and a half ago. (I know it was in the LJW, but I couldn't find it)

Here are some others:

Its way more common than you think. The small town I grew up in is totally overrun now with meth addicts. The first thing that addicts who go for help are told is get OUT of town, away from your "friends" if you really want to get better.

akt2 7 years, 2 months ago

It must be a human condition to want to be high on something. I have been hearing reports about the teens and young adults in our country. One thing was called "Robo tripping". They drink Robotussin. And the other thing was that they are smoking catnip. I wonder if catnip and cold medicine are as addictive as crack.

aeroscout17 7 years, 2 months ago

Not trying to sidetrack or belittle the seriousness of drug abuse, but if they can hand out fliers and educate the retailers on this new ban, why can't this be done for the 1 1/2 year old State of Kansas law that requires your headlights on anytime inclement weather makes you turn your windshield wipers on?

Just guessing, but I think more people are killed due to not seeing oncoming cars in limited visibility than from the sale of pipes.

MCwzMC 7 years, 2 months ago

What a wonderful law.

Next hardware stores should be proscribed. Just think of all the terrible meth pipes that could be made with goods sold in hardware stores.

Though I could care less about the removal of "glass tubes [holding] a synthetic roses" from conveniences stores because this stuff seems to fit the definition of worthless garbage, I do worry about the tendency of these laws to go overboard.

Take the case of Pseudophed.

Now, Pseudophed must be purchased from a pharmacist rather than over the counter.

Customers may, however, buy a drug called Phenylephrine over the counter and without the held of a pharmacist. This drug looks, and is marketed, as though it is Pseudophed, but there is one important difference - it does not work. In fact, for most people the benefits of using Phenylephrine are so small that the slight risks associated with the drug support its proscription.

The government approved Phenylephrine in 1976 but refuses to consider new evidence that the drug is ineffective and therefore a poor substitute for pseudophed.

Unfortunately, most cold-sufferers probably just pick up a package of the small red pills that remain on the shelf because they don't know that the drug has changed. Meainwhile, meth manufactures just have their raw materials imported from Mexico.

Another ineffective drug law motivated by mindless paranoia. At least the law limiting pseudophed sales really sticks it to one of the most nefarious criminal groups in America - cold sufferers.

rollcar 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree with doc1's comment above. Of course this isn't going to stop crack/meth users from doing their thing, but at least it prevents children from stumbling into a store that sells this kind of stuff and thinking "How bad can drugs really be if they sell pipes in downtown Lawrence with a wink and a smile?". At least this shows an effort to rid the streets of this garbage, and I applaud it. Just because the war can't be won doesn't mean it isn't worth fighting.

JJHawq 7 years, 2 months ago

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

LOVE the apple pipe.

That is classic. My favorite bong was made out of one of those big two foot rain guages and some plumbing equipment.

hawklet21 7 years, 2 months ago

Ragingbear, you read my mind! I was reading the story thinking "And in other news, aluminum foil sales go up by 83%"

masterblaster 7 years, 2 months ago

This thing is not about meth or crackheads.If you have ever known a crack or methead, everyone would understand that THEY WILL SMOKE IT WHATEVER HOWEVER IS POSSIBLE. If you get rid of little crack pipes, trust me theres 20 thousand things more to smoke crack out of! unless you guys want actually want glass art to be banned because of some stiffneck ppl then I suggest you speak up. A crackpipe is much different than a worked piece of glass but sadly both are classified in the same criteria. WE MUST PUT AN END TO PROPAGANDA AND INSANE LAWS!!!

jafs 7 years, 2 months ago

"Just because the war can't be won doesn't mean it isn't worth fighting."

It may very well mean exactly that.

Prohibition was an attempt to prevent people from drinking, and the effects of Prohibition were to create huge criminal enterprises for the manufacturing/distribution of alcohol, along with the associated violence.

I don't think it deterred anyone from drinking though, and we decided it was a bad idea.

Why isn't the same true of drug use? It seems to me we are creating the same problems that Prohibition did, and not preventing people from taking drugs.

Legalizing drug use would prevent the criminality and associated problems. In addition, it would probably lower the prices and improve the quality. If we were to tax drugs (as we do alcohol and cigarettes), that would create a new revenue source, in addition to the savings of not trying to prevent/prosecute drug users. And, we could free up needed space in prisons for violent crimes - I don't see why a third-time marijuana user should be in prison while rapists/murderers are let out.

hawklet21 7 years, 2 months ago

Is this going to apply to "tobacco accessories" sold at Third Planet and Creation Station?

MCwzMC 7 years, 2 months ago

Under federal forfeiture laws, a person can lose his or her home for selling paraphernalia.

Talk about draconian. I can't believe such a disproportionate punishment would be advocated (especially considering the arbitrary line between paraphernalia and non-paraphernalia).

At least syringes are still legal. Maybe the stores will just replace the pipes with a "medical supplies" section that sells syringes.

rollcar 7 years, 2 months ago

Well let me put it this way. I don't want my kids walking around in a store that sells what are obviously designed to be crack pipes. If users want to smoke it out of a little blown glass swan from Silver Dollar City, more power to them, but I don't think reputable shops or reputable shopowners have any business blatantly encouraging it. Particularly in little shops shuffled in between toy stores and quality restaurants in downtown Lawrence.

yellowhouse 7 years, 2 months ago

At least these stores are getting the respect of the city and police to let it be known that they are going to crack down.

They even announced it in the News Paper!

People have the nerve to step up and say the Yellow House is treated like everybody else!

Yellow House gets served search a search warrant and is dragged through the courts for over a year for selling Toy Stars..even after the D.A. admits they arent illegal.

Yellow House gets served search multiple search warrants and subpoenas without ever getting a so much as a peep warning. Dragged through court for nearly 3 years without any evidence just to cover-up the missing evidence!!

This is discrimination by any other name.

Afroman 7 years, 2 months ago

there are many problems with how society and media teach teens nowadays to act and what's normal behavior. However, the fact that our elders are making an effort to clean up the world must be for a good reason. And therefore, those people that are caught up in that lifestyle will have to try harder or finally realize that it's not a healthy lifestyle. I've been around drug dealers, pot-heads, and other drug addicts, and also people who lie, cheat, and steal. All of which are as bad as the other, but when drugs begin affecting the people around the user, action must be taken.

Besides, there are many other things in which we are concerned about, but the teens of today are the future leaders of tomorrow, pot heads or not.

I am thankful for those who still care enough about all people; especially young people, enough to make such an effort to make a difference and let us young guns now that that kind of lifestyle will change your life. Not in a good way, but in a way that when you're older and looking back, you'll ask yourself why you didn't listen, because you could've been so much more.....

Thank you Officers, from those who Believe in what you're doing to right the wrongs of the past and present, and hopefully not the future!

hawklet21 7 years, 2 months ago

That's too bad. Third Planet does NOT corrupt our youth, because they are discreet about their selection of "tobacco accessories." Everytime I have been there, they are very careful to check IDs of everyone who wants to go behind the curtain. I've been with people who weren't allowed in because they didn't have an ID on them. Creation Station, not so much.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 2 months ago

Apparently they're also going to come to my house and take my spoons, blender, and a whole bunch of other stuff... what a load of nonsense. Land of the free my *ss.

ksdivakat 7 years, 2 months ago

ok, so im a bit...well alot nieve about this I guess, I seen somebody do a shot of meth once and it locked her jaws up for 10 minutes, I left and never tried that crap, but I do know of 1 person who was on it bad for years and shes younger than me but looks 20 yrs older, anyway, my real question is this.....are you guys being serious about all these things that you can make a pipe with or are you just being sarcastic?? Cause if you can use all those things to make one then Im scared to have anything...I have steel wool cause of mice!! am i in trouble with that????

RedwoodCoast 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey, has anyone ever heard of rolling a joint out of a Bible page?

unite2revolt 7 years, 2 months ago

HAHAHAHAHA!! I read "more teeth" in an article about smoking meth! Best laugh all week. Cheers to Janet for getting that past editors.

Casey_Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

Creation Station and Third Planet sell marijuana pipes?!?! I thought those were only for tobacco! That's what the signs clearly state.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

No, ksdivacat, they're being quite serious. You can make a pot pipe out of most anything, of course. Meth pipes need to be glass, metal or they can lay it on top of a piece of foil. The thing with meth is its heated and reheated and heated and reheated again and again because the meth melts, leaves residue, they smoke on the residue and even the cut that comes in it. Because of the frequency of the heating, the pipe needs to be made of sturdier material than a pot pipe and a real meth head wouldn't think of using something disposable like an apple or a pop can because they may lose some of their residue in it. They also use little torches alot, vs lighters because the frequency of the use causes blisters to form on their thumbs from lighting the lighter and they burn up quickly. Meth makes me sad. The users that are stuck on it gross me out and just make me sad. I've known too many good people around Lawrence get hooked to that and crack. Scores of them. It's getting hard to even count. I don't know if Lawrence has a bad manufacturing problem but I know it has a really bad user problem. I've always been a proponent for the legalization of pot because for the most part it's a recreational drug. But not meth. Meth will never be. It grabs people and doesn't let them go. I know a girl who's been clean for 6 years and says she still wakes up every day wanting to smoke meth.

staff04 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm really bad about taking out the trash in my bathroom...currently, it is mounded with empty toilet tissue tubes. They don't have any drug residue on them. Can I get busted for possession of paraphernalia?

gontek 7 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to hear more explanation behing this statement.

The next step is to outlaw pipe reducer fittings, sink screens, pvc tubing and hardware store equipment that could possibly be used to create drug para-stuff.

Sigmund 7 years, 2 months ago

Am I the only one who finds it more than a little ironic that Lawrence created a City Ordinance with lower penalties for marijuana use and possession than provided by State Law and is now all excited about following the letter of the State law on glass pipes? Perhaps Boog can propose a new City Ordinance with reduced penalty for paraphernalia to avoid Kansas law once again.

This town is becoming more of a joke daily. It is has become schizophrenic. While proclaiming individual freedom and diversity it has become both a model for intolerance of individual adult choices and a living parody of liberal nuttiness.

fu7il3 7 years, 2 months ago

Of course, the difference is that all of that other stuff is used for other things. Has anyone ever actually seen someone buy one of those glass pipes with the rose in it for the rose? I personally don't know anyone that uses a bong for tobacco.

Confrontation 7 years, 2 months ago

Why are people complaining about this? How does it hurt society to remove these items? Are you afraid that you can't buy your woman a cheap and fake rose or fill your house with the nasty smell of incense? Sure, it won't necessarily solve all problems, but there's really no non-drug use for these items.

Sigmund 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion, if you mean the loss of federal student loan money and the States per student funding to KU if a student is convicted of a misdemeanor, wouldn't KU experience the same loss if the conviction was for paraphernalia or possession? Or did you mean the increase in fees to the City courts at the expense of the District courts? In either case I expect a City of Lawrence reduced penalty paraphernalia ordinance is already in the works! Next, reduced penalty City Ordinance for prostitution and bribery.

laughmonkeyboylaugh 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, if you bothered to read the story you would see that they are attempting to eliminate items that have "no other purpose than inhaling meth". Was it all the drugs you do that made you illiterate?

been_there 7 years, 2 months ago

I've been taking my daughter to Third Planet practically since it opened. The pipes and such are upstairs out of view. She's in her twenties now and would never even think of smoking cigarettes or drinking alchol much less do drugs. I'm sorry you can't blame the bussiness. They probably got corrupted by that friend of theirs that you think is just so nice. I seem to remember the manager of Third Planet writing a letter to the editor complaining about parents letting their kids hang out downtown unsupervised on early dismissal Wednesdays. Evidently shoplifting increased greatly on Wednesday afternoons. It seems some parents don't want to take responsibility for their kids and monitor what they were doing. Perhaps some of the "corrupting" is occurring when parents can't be bothered to see that their kids have something constuctive, and legal, to do while they are at work.

classclown 7 years, 2 months ago

Confrontation (Anonymous) says:

====================================

Personally, I wasn't complaining. I was just pointing out that when any junkie wants to do his/her drugs, be it crack, meth or even pot, they will always find a way.

However, you make a good point about the fact that these particular items do not have any non-drug uses. As did some other posters here. I must say I am in agreement with you guys there.

localgirl9 7 years, 2 months ago

"They should shut down those losers at the Third Planet and throw them in jail for corrupting our youth."

"Of course this isn't going to stop crack/meth users from doing their thing, but at least it prevents children from stumbling into a store that sells this kind of stuff and thinking "How bad can drugs really be if they sell pipes in downtown Lawrence with a wink and a smile?". "

All I can say is that every time I have been to the Third Planet they have been very clear that the pipeshop is NOT for minors. I have seen kids get kicked out for even just loitering up near the pipeshop. I have also seen people get kicked out for using drug slang. How they are corrupting the youth with such strict policies is unclear to me. You can get cigarettes, pipe tobacco and other legal smoking herbs at the Third Planet. Not to mention there is an entire store beyond the pipeshop. The pipeshop is at the back and up the stairs well after the clothes, incense, candles, jewelry and statuary that makes up the bulk of their merchandise, and I daresay, their sales.

Yes, this law will affect the sale of legitimate tobacco accessories if law enforcement officials choose to apply it to those items. I understand the desire to curb access to meth and crack pipes. I do not think this law will actually do anything to reduce the use of those drugs, it is a social issue that does not have a legal solution. I wish that the people catering to that sort of business, even going so far as to explain how one breaks open the tube and uses the brillo as a screen and so on, would have had better ethics, but I see no reason to lump downtown stores in that group. When has anyone at the Creation Station or the Third Planet actually explained how to smoke crack with one of their pipes? or even 7th Heaven, the Phil Zone or Alleycat when they were all in business and selling tobacco smoking accessories? Do you really think a retail store downtown with lots of small, pocketable items between the front door and the pipes want methheads and crackheads frequenting their business? They would likely be shoplifted more than they would make selling that merchandise.

denak 7 years, 2 months ago

Well I may be in the minority on this but I'm happy to see this. These pipes are clearly not for holding roses or for decoration. They are clearly made to smoke meth and to say otherwise is disingenous. No one complained about supermarkets taking certian drugs off the shelves in order to help curtail the manufacturing of meth. As stated, this won't stop someone from taking meth but every little bit counts as far as I am concerned. This stuff is seriously messing people's lives up. I talked recently with the domestic violence advocate here in Lawrence and she told me that the two most common illegal drugs used during domestic violence was meth and crack. And as a foster parent, I can't tell you how many times I have heard of cases where children were seriously burned or hurt when their parents were manufacturing this drug. Not to mention the mental and developemental delays some children experience because they crawl in this crap when it is being made.

Dena

lovenhaight 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh, smoking from Bible pages...you have to make sure that its a note page from the back because that ink will give you a headache...I also find it a little comical that "Afroman" is toting the anti-drug line when a Mississippi rap artist by the exact same name had a hit a few years ago called "Because I got High". It makes me giggle.

localgirl9 7 years, 2 months ago

"So, I think this is a good thing. It is hypocritical to pretend these pipes are for anything other than illegal drug consumption and I look forward to walking into the convience store down the street and not have to look at them and the stupid b.s. sign that says," For tobacco use only!" (Yeah right)

Dena"

You are right in that the little glass tubes passing as legitimate tobacco smoking accessories is a joke, but the pipes sold at Third Planet and Creation Station ARE for tobacco use, or to smoke any other legal herb. We now have two hookah bars in town, so why is it unrealistic to think that hookahs and waterpipes would not be used for tobacco? Mullein, when vaporized is a natural asthma remedy. All of the mints are soothing to the throat when vaporized. Damiana is a relaxant. The list goes on. The probelm I have with the law is the scope of it. It is too sweeping and too draconian and could be used against stores like Third Planet and Creation Station. I also did not think it was fair for people like bs3 to lump what are legitimate pipes in with merchandise like the glass rose tubes. So here I am...

Calliope877 7 years, 2 months ago

RedwoodCoast (Anonymous) says:

"Hey, has anyone ever heard of rolling a joint out of a Bible page?"

No, but thanks for the idea! lol -- I kid you...I can't roll worth a sh*t.

cfdxprt 7 years, 2 months ago

Dena,

Let me be the first to complain about supermarkets taking certain drugs off the shelves. I have very serious allergy issues and the only thing prescription or non-prescription that works for me is Actifed (or the old version of Actifed, but I'll get to that in a second). It used to be that if I was having issues at 2 am and didn't have any, I could walk down to the nearest corner mart and get some. Now, there are only a few places in town where it is available 24-7, and usually I have to just tough it out because driving while hivey, sneezing, coughing and feeling like your head is going to explode is not a bright idea...

To go back to my earlier comment, the second thing this ban has done is to force manufacturers to change their formulas, so they can be out in the open. New Actifed does not work for me (it's the second drug, not the psedoephidrine that actually provides me comfort - otherwise I'd have several choices, still locked behind the counter). Luckily, so far the generics haven't changed their formula, but if they follow suit, I'm up a creek without a paddle. The other thing is that the price has changed, a box of generic Actifed at Dillons used to be $1.63 with tax, now it's over 8 dollars, and their justification is the added paperwork involved with selling me a box - yes part of it is that they can make more money off people who actually need it.

Do I blame the meth heads with their pilfering ways for this - yes. Do I blame an over reactive public with the notion that laws fix all things - h, e, double hockey sticks yes. It goes to show that sometimes laws have unintended consequences, and sometimes victims are made of people who are upright citizens, don't beat their wives, don't shove poison up their noses and have legitimate reasons for needing a "banned" drug.

George_Braziller 7 years, 2 months ago

Journal World - Any possibility that you could add some sort of spell checking option for people who post? ---- "liquer? nieve?" I know that English is a non-regular language when it comes to spelling and sentence structure but ..... AAAAGGGGHHHH! This drives me crazy!

janeyb 7 years, 2 months ago

I was wondering about that too. Are they removing the crude drug pipes and replacing them with designer drug pipes?

After reading these comments it is just as well I don't smoke anything. I don't have the mechanical skills required.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 7 years, 2 months ago

Car crashes involving excessive speed kill thousands each year. One product I would like to see banned is radar/laser detectors. Their only purpose is to break the law. People use these devises in front of their kids. They teach their kids to break the law and to disrespect police.

Not only would the roads be safer, children learn to respect the law but think of all the gas that would be saved. If everyone would drive the speed limit or even a little slower if they had time they would save a fortune on gas, be a little less tense, and reduce fatalities.

lexkamikaze 7 years, 2 months ago

oh come on. and they'll close down a place thats selling cocaine behind the bar for about a minute and bring that back? like taking little crack pipes off the shelves is going to do any help at all to the poor souls smoking meth and crack anyway. what a terribly lazy attempt to fight the war on drugs. don't they have more detrimental things to ban?

whatever, thanks for the mouth cancer in advanced, looks like i'll be smoking many more swishers and optimos.

god bless america.

Charlie Naramore 7 years, 2 months ago

Is the post office going to start going through our received packages too? Just because someone can't walk downtown to a headshop to pick up a piece doesn't stop them from going online and getting it shipped to them in a day or two. And what about the artistic endeavors of Free State Glass (I'm asking that seriously)--people will find a way to smoke out of just about anything. Drill a hole in something, presto, you've got paraphernalia. I suppose we should stop selling drill bits and Gatorade bottles, too. Before the ban, at least everybody else was reaping the benefits of sales tax.

workinghard 7 years, 2 months ago

So in Lawrence you can carry a concealed weapon into stores but not anything that "might" be used for illegal drugs. Their theory, guns don't kill people, people do. It's is not going to stop people from smoking crack. You're trying to close the barn door after the horse is gone. Hello, they already have the drugs, how they use it is irrelevent, they will use it. Instead they are going to put three tax paying bussinesses out of bussiness plus employees, tax paying employees at that, out of work. The police department served Third Planet and Creation Station with a seven day notice. I went to Third Planet and bought things I really didn't need just to show support. They were telling people to also go to their compeditors store and spend money. I plan to go regularly and give them my bussiness. I heard the Hookah smoking establishment is also closing but plans to fight. Just for the record, I don't smoke, not even cigarettes, drink, or do drugs of any sort. I'm law-abiding with no crimminal record, but always enjoyed taking my kids there. They have some cool stuff in there. I never felt my kids were being corrupted. In fact Third Planet it very strict about what kids can and cannot do. Yes, the guys like the guy at the gas station on 23rd need to be shut down, he has one and only one agenda. The police need to concentrate on keeping the drugs from getting to the drug users in the first place. Put the horse before the cart

localgirl9 7 years, 2 months ago

workinghard...you rock! and I am sure the Third Planet and Creation Station appreciate your efforts and support. What I want to know is next Wednesday when the shelves downtown are bare will there still be those "sweetheart roses" at the "kwikimart's around town? And if so will the LPD be down there to shut them down? I certainly hope so, otherwise this whole things was a complete farce. But, I ain't holdin' my breath.

7 years, 2 months ago

Maybe all the local glass blowers can focus on making molotov cocktail containers from now on. They could be sold with little roses in them. Something's gotta be done before this gets out of hand. Before too long we're all going to be wearing gray jumpsuits and calling each other by our soc. sec. numbers.

"Hey you guys going to the book burning later? Cool! See you later, 674-31-9980!"

This is such a gigantic step in the wrong direction. I literally feel a little nauseous just thinking about it. Rest in peace, freedom.

localgirl9 7 years, 2 months ago

by the way and for the record...it's not a bong, it's not a bong, it's NOT a BONG until AFTER you smoke dope in it!

localgirl9 7 years, 2 months ago

before this ammendment to the law was passed, state law was all about intent...and saying bong indicated an illegal intent. I have not sold bong one in my career at local shops and will not sell one in these last few days...I maintain that every pipe I sell is for LEGAL consumption of tobacco, or any one of a thousand other legal herbs. don't tell me about the law...I am well aware of what the state and federal laws have been on this subject and the bottom line is even though there are only a few days left to clear the shelves if you walk in and ask for a BONG I will kick you out! period.

thescarletabyss 7 years, 2 months ago

anyone have a link to the actual bill? i'd like to read it. Thnx