Archive for Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Missouri town proposes ban on profanity in bars

January 9, 2008

— What the ...?

This St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights. They have asked to be included in discussions on any new rules.

Marc Rousseau, who owns bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

"We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

A meeting to discuss amendments to the proposal is set for Monday.

Comments

classclown 6 years, 10 months ago

Coming soon to a town near you? Lawrence is always looking for new bans to implement.

freeordie 6 years, 10 months ago

Adults in bars can't say what they want? I thought police already HAD rules they could enforce when things got out of hand. This is another ridiculous and scary development in this police state. Who is calling for these laws? I very seriously doubt it is the people going to, working in or owning bars. This is THE MAN putting his big fist down on your civil rights. Who needs free speech anyway? Absolutely disgusting.

Calliope877 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

"They would enforce it the same way that they enforce the smoking ban:::..by having citizens report violations and then making a charge based on the complaint of the officer who recieved the report without the testimony of the complaining citizen being required.

See any problems with this?"

Yeah, I do see a problem with it: most patrons at a bar drink alcohol, therefore a lot of them will probably be too drunk to give a crap.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 10 months ago

Stay tuned. Next week they'll be banning all sex that involves genitals, or any body part within 27.5" of the genitals. What a bunch of toe suckers.

Phill_Davis 6 years, 10 months ago

I wonder how the people of St. Charles feel about paying for their city's constitutional lawsuit...

freeordie 6 years, 10 months ago

Overcriminalization is a way of divesting the populace of their rights (and their guns) by making or being able to make with a blizzard of laws no one is able to remain fully versed on, everyone a criminal. This egregious assault on free speech in an adult setting another example. Better get your cuss on soon before it's too late. I didn't want to do this but now an open sewer of filth and prurience will pour forth from my mouth whenever I'm in a tavern a God will become existant just to smite me.

fairylight 6 years, 10 months ago

How funny. A prime example of counsel-members not having real jobs or nothing of importance to occupy themselves with.

That has to be one of the most ludicrous ideas I have seen in print.

salad 6 years, 10 months ago

Can't cuss in a bar?!?! That's like saying you can't fart in the bathroom!

Chris Golledge 6 years, 10 months ago

:-) I read the title and my thought and the first line of the article matched. Ha!

flyin_squirrel 6 years, 10 months ago

That is even more absurd than the entertainment license Lawrence was going to pass. I guess we only wanted to control music, dancing, and laughing (noise). They just added speech as well. I hope Corliss is not taking notes...

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 10 months ago

This is just duckin' obtuse. There are already laws in place and methods to control bars. All city government needs to do is not approve a permit to sell alchoholic beverages or be open after a set hour. The bar owners will keep their patrons within bounds for risk of losing their business.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow. And when the business dries up (if this caca is actually enforced), then general hand wringing and moaning as city officials try to find some way to rejuvenate downtown.

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

If anything cursing and disorderly conduct should be required. A world with out the "f" word... First you stop saying it. then you stop doing it. How would we Muck Fizzou? No WTF?

Dixie Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

What the $%^& now this is plain stupid, come on even i think smoking should be allowed in bars, and im a huge no smoking person, but swearing give me a (((BEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP))) break

Calliope877 6 years, 10 months ago

logicsound04:

laughing my fckin' ass off!*

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 10 months ago

I didn't know that there really were "fun police."

unklemonkey 6 years, 10 months ago

They're just words. Harmless, stupid little words.

Mike Blur 6 years, 10 months ago

Of course, there's a bit more to this story than this little AP blurb would indicate. Let me put it in a way Lawrence-types will understand.

From what I can ascertain from other internet forums, it appears that downtown St. Charles is having problems with, ahem, "Last Call" type bar patrons.

Now you know--go back and read the story again.

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 10 months ago

Dollypawpaw (Anonymous) says:

We can't cuss on this forum. So why not a bar?

Fck me! Are you fcking serious? No sht? Who fcking says we f*cking can't? ;)

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

So when the bar gets out of hand, they can shut it down at night with the "don't cuss" rule. table-dancing and drinking contests - all things which shouldn't belong in a bar??? How funny...

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 10 months ago

b3 (Anonymous) says:

HodgePodge, your classiness is overwhelming me. Quit acting like a teenager.

It was a joke. Lighten up.

Mike Blur 6 years, 10 months ago

Be careful what you wish for, stinker. You've already committed hundreds of "SP" thoughts and actions today.

Isn't posting to the internet "SP" in and of itself?

Calliope877 6 years, 10 months ago

IF this ban is actually passed, and that's a big f*ckin' "IF" (sorry, I couldn't help myself) how could they possibly enforce it? Especially in regards to using profanity? It's been a while since I've set foot in a bar, but from what I remember they're very loud places to be. In a lot of bars you practically have to scream directly into another person's ear in order to be heard, so how do they plan on catching someone using profanity?

labmonkey 6 years, 10 months ago

This is a sure way to make things dead in their downtown district....

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

got

revived

not

long

ago

BTW,

still having a wonderful internet life.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 10 months ago

You know, they would have to arrest VP Dick Cheney.

hawklet21 6 years, 10 months ago

Sweet! It's going to be like the town in Footloose!

gr 6 years, 10 months ago

You know, I'm surprised most are in disagreement with this proposed ban. Some of you, on a previous thread, would be saying similar things such as child molesters, serial killers, mass murderers have all used profanity. Therefore, we should lock them up before they turn into such.

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 10 months ago

DirtyLinen (Anonymous) says:

I find it so interesting : and so illuminating : that some of the same people (HodgePodge comes to mind) that so vehemently advocate for smoking bans ridicule this community's attempts to regulate behaviors they believe harmful for their own citizens.

Oh, right, if it's something you don't like, bans are okay, but if it's something you have no problem with, then bans are ridiculous. Got it.

DL, your obsession with me is starting to creep me out. Can you find a new person to stalk please?

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

Hodge:

You got a problem with folks replying to your posts on a public forum?

oh wait

No one should reply to Hodge's posts as Hodge does not want to be "stalked".

What a halfwit!

Or mental case, maybe.

I'm sorry Marion....was I talking to you?

In case you didn't notice, dear sweet DL wasn't "replying" to my post at all. Try reading before commenting. It might help.

Mike Blur 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion writes: "You, Dear Boy, need to get out more often!"

I get out occasionally, and I'd like to invite you to meet me downtown this weekend, Marion.

Maybe at the Pig. Oops, you're banned there.

Maybe at the Brewery. Oops, you're banned there.

Maybe at the Replay. Oops, you're banned there.

Are you banned at Louise's? Maybe I should ask Brad. If not, I'll see ya then?

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow--how exactly does one get banned from all those places??