Archive for Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Missouri town proposes ban on profanity in bars

January 9, 2008

— What the ...?

This St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights. They have asked to be included in discussions on any new rules.

Marc Rousseau, who owns bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

"We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

A meeting to discuss amendments to the proposal is set for Monday.

Comments

logicsound04 6 years, 3 months ago

Go perusing through Marion's posts and you might start to get an idea....

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

Wow--how exactly does one get banned from all those places??

Mike Blur 6 years, 3 months ago

Marion writes: "You, Dear Boy, need to get out more often!"

I get out occasionally, and I'd like to invite you to meet me downtown this weekend, Marion.

Maybe at the Pig. Oops, you're banned there.

Maybe at the Brewery. Oops, you're banned there.

Maybe at the Replay. Oops, you're banned there.

Are you banned at Louise's? Maybe I should ask Brad. If not, I'll see ya then?

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

Hodge:

You got a problem with folks replying to your posts on a public forum?

oh wait

No one should reply to Hodge's posts as Hodge does not want to be "stalked".

What a halfwit!

Or mental case, maybe.

I'm sorry Marion....was I talking to you?

In case you didn't notice, dear sweet DL wasn't "replying" to my post at all. Try reading before commenting. It might help.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 3 months ago

Hodge:

You got a problem with folks replying to your posts on a public forum?

oh wait

No one should reply to Hodge's posts as Hodge does not want to be "stalked".

What a halfwit!

Or mental case, maybe.

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

DirtyLinen (Anonymous) says:

I find it so interesting : and so illuminating : that some of the same people (HodgePodge comes to mind) that so vehemently advocate for smoking bans ridicule this community's attempts to regulate behaviors they believe harmful for their own citizens.

Oh, right, if it's something you don't like, bans are okay, but if it's something you have no problem with, then bans are ridiculous. Got it.

DL, your obsession with me is starting to creep me out. Can you find a new person to stalk please?

gr 6 years, 3 months ago

You know, I'm surprised most are in disagreement with this proposed ban. Some of you, on a previous thread, would be saying similar things such as child molesters, serial killers, mass murderers have all used profanity. Therefore, we should lock them up before they turn into such.

Calliope877 6 years, 3 months ago

logicsound04:

laughing my fckin' ass off!*

Calliope877 6 years, 3 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

"They would enforce it the same way that they enforce the smoking ban:::..by having citizens report violations and then making a charge based on the complaint of the officer who recieved the report without the testimony of the complaining citizen being required.

See any problems with this?"

Yeah, I do see a problem with it: most patrons at a bar drink alcohol, therefore a lot of them will probably be too drunk to give a crap.

hawklet21 6 years, 3 months ago

Sweet! It's going to be like the town in Footloose!

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 3 months ago

You know, they would have to arrest VP Dick Cheney.

DirtyLinen 6 years, 3 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

"See any problems with this?"

Aw, come on, Marion. Those are two completely different things. It's perfectly okay, as a matter of fact admirable, even required for good citizens to call the police and turn in those nasty smokers. It's only Big Brother government taking over our lives if a citizen calls the police to turn in someone doing what they do.

logicsound04 6 years, 3 months ago

The many f*cks:

Noun: That guy is a complete fck Proper Noun: Fcking, Australia (no seriously, look it up) Verb (positive): Boy I'd like to fck him/her Verb (negative): This is what it's like when you fck a stranger in the ss (bonus!) Adjective: Don't sit there, that's the fcking chair--it hasn't been cleaned since last time. Adjective: Drive the fcking car, will ya? Present Progressive: He is fcking that guy UP! Interjection: Holy F*CK!

Fck--do these fcking officials really fcking compre-fcking-hend the amount of fcking fun they will be fcking over?

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 3 months ago

Why do the assho!es have to ruin it for everyone else?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

got

revived

not

long

ago

BTW,

still having a wonderful internet life.

labmonkey 6 years, 3 months ago

This is a sure way to make things dead in their downtown district....

Marion Lynn 6 years, 3 months ago

They would enforce it the same way that they enforce the smoking ban...........by having citizens report violations and then making a charge based on the complaint of the officer who recieved the report without the testimony of the complaining citizen being required.

See any problems with this?

Calliope877 6 years, 3 months ago

IF this ban is actually passed, and that's a big f*ckin' "IF" (sorry, I couldn't help myself) how could they possibly enforce it? Especially in regards to using profanity? It's been a while since I've set foot in a bar, but from what I remember they're very loud places to be. In a lot of bars you practically have to scream directly into another person's ear in order to be heard, so how do they plan on catching someone using profanity?

Marion Lynn 6 years, 3 months ago

Mike Blur wrote:

"From what I can ascertain from other internet forums, it appears that downtown St. Charles is having problems with, ahem, "Last Call" type bar patrons."

Marion writes:

Oh, you mean N+ggas doin' rap and Hip-Hop?

I mean, both White AND black N+ggas with a few Latino N+ggas thrown in!

Like the music you hear at the local gas station or on the radio?

Dude, I got a joint in St. Charles of which I am rather fond so I called them today.

They were all laughing their a**es off over this bunch of biosolids!

You, Dear Boy, need to get out more often!

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 3 months ago

Let's ban each other. Any ban may or may not effect me personally. Banning rational, reasonable thought---I'm OK.

Mike Blur 6 years, 3 months ago

Be careful what you wish for, stinker. You've already committed hundreds of "SP" thoughts and actions today.

Isn't posting to the internet "SP" in and of itself?

beobachter 6 years, 3 months ago

actually, gigolo, I would prefer a ban on all christian, right wing conservative, bush worshippers along with all pimps and gigolos. Would that affect you?

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 3 months ago

When can we get a ban on the far-left, secular-progressive loons' thoughts and actions?

DirtyLinen 6 years, 3 months ago

I find it so interesting ... and so illuminating ... that some of the same people (HodgePodge comes to mind) that so vehemently advocate for smoking bans ridicule this community's attempts to regulate behaviors they believe harmful for their own citizens.

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

b3 (Anonymous) says:

HodgePodge, your classiness is overwhelming me. Quit acting like a teenager.

It was a joke. Lighten up.

b3 6 years, 3 months ago

HodgePodge, your classiness is overwhelming me. Quit acting like a teenager.

mom_of_three 6 years, 3 months ago

So when the bar gets out of hand, they can shut it down at night with the "don't cuss" rule. table-dancing and drinking contests - all things which shouldn't belong in a bar??? How funny...

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

Dollypawpaw (Anonymous) says:

We can't cuss on this forum. So why not a bar?

Fck me! Are you fcking serious? No sht? Who fcking says we f*cking can't? ;)

Mike Blur 6 years, 3 months ago

Of course, there's a bit more to this story than this little AP blurb would indicate. Let me put it in a way Lawrence-types will understand.

Now you know--go back and read the story again.

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 3 months ago

We can't cuss on this forum. So why not a bar?

unklemonkey 6 years, 3 months ago

They're just words. Harmless, stupid little words.

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

I didn't know that there really were "fun police."

blue73harley 6 years, 3 months ago

Reminds me of the movie "Demolition Man"...

"...even the mildest profanity is a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute, and punishable by a fine of one half to one credit per violation, which is automatically deducted from a citizen's finances. The perpetrator is dispensed a ticket by a machine." from Wikipedia.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 3 months ago

What the $%^& now this is plain stupid, come on even i think smoking should be allowed in bars, and im a huge no smoking person, but swearing give me a (((BEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP))) break

b3 6 years, 3 months ago

This sounds like a good idea.

Crossfire 6 years, 3 months ago

If anything cursing and disorderly conduct should be required. A world with out the "f" word... First you stop saying it. then you stop doing it. How would we Muck Fizzou? No WTF?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 3 months ago

Wow. And when the business dries up (if this caca is actually enforced), then general hand wringing and moaning as city officials try to find some way to rejuvenate downtown.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 3 months ago

This is just duckin' obtuse. There are already laws in place and methods to control bars. All city government needs to do is not approve a permit to sell alchoholic beverages or be open after a set hour. The bar owners will keep their patrons within bounds for risk of losing their business.

flyin_squirrel 6 years, 3 months ago

That is even more absurd than the entertainment license Lawrence was going to pass. I guess we only wanted to control music, dancing, and laughing (noise). They just added speech as well. I hope Corliss is not taking notes...

Chris Golledge 6 years, 3 months ago

:-) I read the title and my thought and the first line of the article matched. Ha!

salad 6 years, 3 months ago

Can't cuss in a bar?!?! That's like saying you can't fart in the bathroom!

fairylight 6 years, 3 months ago

How funny. A prime example of counsel-members not having real jobs or nothing of importance to occupy themselves with.

That has to be one of the most ludicrous ideas I have seen in print.

freeordie 6 years, 3 months ago

Overcriminalization is a way of divesting the populace of their rights (and their guns) by making or being able to make with a blizzard of laws no one is able to remain fully versed on, everyone a criminal. This egregious assault on free speech in an adult setting another example. Better get your cuss on soon before it's too late. I didn't want to do this but now an open sewer of filth and prurience will pour forth from my mouth whenever I'm in a tavern a God will become existant just to smite me.

Phill_Davis 6 years, 3 months ago

I wonder how the people of St. Charles feel about paying for their city's constitutional lawsuit...

JJE007 6 years, 3 months ago

Stay tuned. Next week they'll be banning all sex that involves genitals, or any body part within 27.5" of the genitals. What a bunch of toe suckers.

its_getting_warmer 6 years, 3 months ago

Mad-Mike the military gun-toting philosopher from Seattle is worried for Lawrence.

Worried that Lawrence becomes swear free?

Ha! Where would Marion then drink?

freeordie 6 years, 3 months ago

Adults in bars can't say what they want? I thought police already HAD rules they could enforce when things got out of hand. This is another ridiculous and scary development in this police state. Who is calling for these laws? I very seriously doubt it is the people going to, working in or owning bars. This is THE MAN putting his big fist down on your civil rights. Who needs free speech anyway? Absolutely disgusting.

madmike 6 years, 3 months ago

Just another stupid un-enforcible law by stupid politicians!

Lawrence will undoubtedly jump on the band-waggon!

classclown 6 years, 3 months ago

Coming soon to a town near you? Lawrence is always looking for new bans to implement.