Archive for Saturday, February 23, 2008

Woman’s ex-boyfriend ordered to stand trial for battery, burglary

February 23, 2008

Kidnapping victim testifies against Jaeger

Four months after she was kidnapped and brutally beaten inside her northern Lawrence apartment, a victim testified against her attacker on Friday. Enlarge video

Matthew Jaeger, 22, sits in Douglas County District court Friday during a preliminary hearing where his ex-girlfriend testified that Jaeger broke into her apartment, strangled her until she was unconscious, and then forced her into his car in October 2007. Judge Robert Fairchild ruled that Jaeger will stand trial for aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and two other charges.

During testimony Friday, a Lawrence woman identified a former boyfriend as the man who strangled her unconscious and later forced her out of her apartment and into his car.

The 22-year-old woman also described in Douglas County District Court the tremendous pain she felt in her vagina and the profuse bleeding that accompanied it. Lawrence police officers testified that the back seat of the man's car was covered with blood.

It felt like she had glass inside of her, the woman said.

"What happened to me? Why am I hurting? What did you do to me?" the woman said she repeated while in the car, which was driven by a second man.

Following a daylong preliminary hearing, Judge Robert Fairchild ordered the suspect, Matthew P. Jaeger, 22, to stand trial on charges of aggravated battery, aggravated burglary, making a criminal threat and attempting to bribe a police officer.

Fairchild dismissed a second charge of aggravated battery. The judge said there wasn't enough evidence to show that the strangulation, injury to the woman's vagina and other injuries occurred in two separate incidents. He also took under advisement an aggravated kidnapping charge to determine whether the "aggravated" portion is warranted. He set Jaeger's arraignment for Tuesday. Jaeger can enter a plea at that time and a trial will be scheduled.

During her testimony, the woman said she was with a male friend in the bedroom of her Lawrence apartment early on the morning of Oct. 9, 2007. They heard glass breaking as someone broke out the front window. The woman said she feared Jaeger, her former boyfriend, had broken in. Jaeger had made repeated calls to her cell phone, she said. She told the man with her, Dylan Jones, to leave because she was afraid what Jaeger would do to him.

During his testimony, Jones said he dropped off a balcony outside the woman's bedroom just as Jaeger came out onto the balcony threatening to kill him. He then hid in the shadows of a nearby apartment building when Jaeger left the apartment and looked for him. Jones said he eventually ran to the woman's brother's house two blocks away and called police.

The woman said Jaeger strangled her in her bedroom.

"I woke up alone and in my own blood," she said.

The woman said she managed to crawl and walk outside where she said she heard Jaeger yelling and searching for Jones. She went back up an outside stairway to her second floor apartment. Jaeger followed her and dragged her down to his car and forced her inside, she said. Jaeger ordered the driver, Evan Carroll, to drive off, she said, both men ignoring her pleas to take her to the hospital.

Lawrence police received a report of a disturbance at the apartment complex in the 1200 block of George Court.

At Sixth and Florida streets - about a mile from the apartment - Officer Todd Polson stopped a car matching a description of one reported leaving the complex.

He handcuffed Carroll and put him in his patrol car. Carroll, from Kansas City, Mo., later told Polson he was trying to take the woman to the hospital but had gotten lost.

Officer Robert Neff said he repeatedly asked the woman and Jaeger, who were in the back seat of the car, to tell him what was going on. They did not respond. The woman was sitting with her legs closed and her hands holding her crotch. When the woman did get out of the car, blood was dripping through her pants onto the pavement. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital. The nature of this injury or how it came about was not clear from testimony Friday.

The woman was in the hospital for 11 days and had two surgeries, she said.

Carroll has not been charged.

Officer Larry Lindsay, who took Jaeger to jail, said Jaeger offered him $20 to remove his handcuffs and take him home.

Jaeger is free on $850,000 bond and has to wear a GPS monitoring device. He has been participating in a substance abuse program in California.

Comments

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

i'm wondering why the charges aren't more severe?

reprehensible, egregious, foul-there just aren't enough words to describe these acts or this jaeger. and free on that huge bond! wow.

good thoughts&prayers for the victim.

xinmone 7 years, 3 months ago

Jaeger should be locked away, not shipped off to California like a slight embarassment, I mean, seriously, who payed the bond? And why isn't anyone looking into Carrol? If he was the driver he should be under similar charges as an accomplice to Jaeger.

At least the victim's surgeries were successful...

Steve Jacob 7 years, 3 months ago

Guessing if you charged Carrol, both would point the finger at the other, and both might not be convicted. He will be the only other witness besides the accused and the victim, besides the police, so the DA needs him.

As far as the "attempting to bribe a police officer", come on, $20 bucks? All he will say is he was joking. With that anount, the jury would believe it.

M. Lindeman 7 years, 3 months ago

I believe this guy is going to be right popular, On his future cell block.

Michael Capra 7 years, 3 months ago

when little boy gets to prison they are going to mess his ass up I hope they cut his off real slow

JaegerOJIkeTurner_NoDifference 7 years, 3 months ago

lisabeth2002 7 years, 3 months ago

This officer could have possibly saved this womans life. This guy needs to be locked up.

Baille 7 years, 3 months ago

"These charges seem a little lite."

Do they?

Aggravated battery can be either a level 4, 7, or 8 person felony.

Aggravated burglary is a level 4 person felony.

Making a criminal threat is a level 9 person felony. If aggravated, it is a level 4 person felony.

Aggravated kidnapping is a level 1 person felony.

Compare these to the more severe charges that are suggested by the facts produced by the LJWorld:

Attempted voluntary manslaughter is a level 5 (I think) person felony.

Attempted second degree murder is a level 3 person felony.

To compare the sentences for these crimes, go here: http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/da/sentencing_grid.html

LawSW 7 years, 3 months ago

This guy is one step below a serial killer and they let him out on bail, ridiculous! The only difference is is that she survived. Bleeding profusely from her vagina from being raped with a bottle, two surgeries, and multiple days in the hospital. He's starting off his criminal career in a volatile, horrific way. So, Daddy's rich and trying to excuse his behavior, gee, how do you explain ramming a bottle up someone? And, yeah, his accomplice should be held accountable but our old "deal" system probably excused his crime--that system should be considered only as a last resort (oh, yeah, we'll drop the charges of you aiding in the assault on a woman of lesser size, driving her around while your friend rapes her--IF you'll testify against him). They probably paid to have his car cleaned for him too...ridiculous!!!

johnboy83 7 years, 3 months ago

this guy is getting off light. he should have way more charges. I bet if his daddy wasn't some rich guy out of chicago, it might be a different story.. Money can buy you out of anything these days.

Baille 7 years, 3 months ago

What "way more charges" would you add?

monkeyspunk 7 years, 3 months ago

"If the police had stopped a car I was in after some guy had knifed my genitals and kidnapped me, I would have jumped out of that car in a hurry, not sat silently in the back of the car refusing to answer questions."

What the F$%K is your point? From the amount of damage described by paramedics and by her own testimony, I doubt she can do much jumping, from what I have read she can barely walk on her own.

You ignorant jerk.

Bunny_Hotcakes 7 years, 3 months ago

@lawrenceguy40:

Yes, I'm sure if you'd been battered and had your genitals slashed so badly by someone you used to trust and maybe even love that you were bleeding to death and unable to walk, you would have been thinking completely clearly and rationally. You would have jumped up, roundhouse kicked your jiu-jitsu expert ex-boyfriend, recounted everything that happened to you 100% accurately, and then gone on to write the Great American Novel from your hospital bed. Which you would only spend three days in, because you are such a badass. Let's hear a hip hip hooray for implying that the victim is complicit in what happened to her!

If you read some of the comments by the alleged assailant's father in past LJWorld and Chicago Tribune articles, (Daddy called it a "big misunderstanding," among other charming comments, IIRC) I think you'll see why people are hung up on this guy getting off light because of his money. His parents paid his $850k bond and tucked him away in a posh "rehab" facility in California.

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

This poor girl. No one knows what Jaeger said to her in the car when the police pulled them over. He could have threatened her, which is why she was quiet when the officers asked her questions. NO one knows what they would do in her situation. And with the pain she was obviously in, she wasn't always thinking clearly either. I hope the young woman is able to recover from this, and Jaeger is put away to get the help he needs.
And his rich family should pay all of her hospital bills and then some.

toefungus 7 years, 3 months ago

Another Chicago connection of kids not good enough to attend Illinois schools. So they come here. We will take their money.

infidel785 7 years, 3 months ago

Baille 7 years, 3 months ago

Maybe, cool. Might be more properly characterized as attempted voluntary manslaughter. Depending on the totality of the facts, it might be characterized as neither.

xinmone 7 years, 3 months ago

Okay, I'm just taking another look at this...but why would the boyfriend just hang around outside if Jaeger had just "come out onto the balcony and threatened to kill him"? Wouldn't he have seen Carroll out waiting outside the vicitm's house in the car? Couldn't he have just written down the liscense plate number and ran off to get a phone after Jaeger went back into the apartment? Why would he wait out back until Carroll and Jaeger drove off with his girlfriend? No one stays 'paralyzed in fear' or whatever for that long. I agree with you, hawkperchedatriverfront, something's wrong.

And by the way, nice handle.

xinmone 7 years, 3 months ago

It seems like all they do with these articles nowadays is leave you with questions and tell you the punishment later; never publishing what really happened even after the freak's convicted.

notajayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

infidel785 (Anonymous) says:

"I hope somebody puts a bullet in this guys head..."

Actually, the aim should be considerably lower.

About halfway down.

notajayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

xinmone (Anonymous) says:

"Why would he wait out back until Carroll and Jaeger drove off with his girlfriend?"

I don't believe that's what the story says. It says he remained hidden while Jaeger was searching for him, it doesn't say until after they drove off. As a matter of fact, since the police stopped the car so close to the apartment complex, it wouldn't seem likely he had time to get two blocks to the relative's house, make the call to the police, and for a police car to be dispatched if he had waited until after they left (although it is possible someone else called, too).

And does the side with the balcony and the window that Jaeger broke in face the parking lot? There's nothing to suggest he would have seen the other guy waiting in the car, either.

bunnyhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Shouldn't this guy be on the sex offender registry?????

infidel785 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm not really a violent person either, although when it comes to violence against innocent or helpless people I have NO tolerance. I just hope the judge/jury see things the same. The fear that this girl felt (and will continue to feel for the rest of her life) is unimaginable. I don't believe in "an eye for an eye", this kid should have to pay every day for the rest of his life for what he did. His actions an attitude enrage me and I don't even know the guy. I honestly, with all my heart, hope something terrible happens to this Jaeger guy. If I was her, it would be worth spending life in prison to put a bullet in his head. Actually, he deserves to be tortured.

notajayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I hope the comments here aren't used by Jaeger's attorneys to argue for a change of venue (to some place where they might not grasp how close they were to the hospital when they were heading in the opposite direction, for instance).

Gary Sandell 7 years, 3 months ago

"He needs to be removed from society, if not eliminated altogether. I loathe him."

"I hope somebody puts a bullet in this guys head and may his father get into a very bad car accident and burn to death while trapped in his car screaming for his life while his skin melts away."

Infidel wrote: "Ihope somebody puts a bullet in this guys head" I second that. I'm usually non-violent, but not in this case::

"I hope somebody puts a bullet in this guys head:" Actually, the aim should be considerably lower. About halfway down.

I'd like to see him get abused in the big house for a long time."

notajayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

gsandell (Anonymous) says:

"Are you "usually non-violent people" starting to realize why many still believe in the death penalty and the right to carry a concealed weapon?"

I dunno'. One of those quotes was mine, but I have never considered myself to be, or professed to be, one of the "usually non-violent people" who's against "the death penalty and the right to carry a concealed weapon?"

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

Doesn't the form of martial arts he practices use some kind of iron fist instrument with spikes? Yep, Jones should have been armed and capped this guy. Then Jones' life would have been over as the father dragged him through a civil suit nightmare.

And the driver has not been charged. Obstructing justice (driving away), attempted murder (we don't believe your story about looking for the hospital), accessory to something (he was the driver, right?),

Ths is just very odd.

Let's just see what the Jag. pos ends up with as time to serve.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 3 months ago

Conceal carry won't help women who let dangerous men into their lives. If he had been a stranger, and tried to enter her apartment in that way, she could have plugged him full of holes. But, a woman who is attracted to dangerous men will be vulnerable no matter what kind of guns they own. Her best defense is to grow her sense of "self" to the point where she's not letting guys like this into her life.

Fathers: Nurture your daughters so that men like this will give them the willies.

Cait McKnelly 7 years, 2 months ago

I think what disturbs me the most is the father. This man paid a bond on this kid equal to approximately Twenty Years of my annual income. This to me falls in the realm of the Britney Spears/Lindsey Lohan/Paris Hilton sphere of "justice". Daddy has every intention of buying this kid off and bringing in an "OJ style" dream team of lawyers. Douglas County has to be terrified at the amount of money they will be spending to prosecute this kid. The defense attorneys will be using the 4M defense (mountains of motions multiply mistakes) fer sure. My bet is this thing will be in court for months and months and the whole time the kid will be out on the street living the high life at home after serving his nominal "rehab time". In the end, out of sheer exhaustion and in the interest of not bankrupting the county, the prosecutors will reduce everything to "time served". This is how the rich buy their style of "justice". And in the end a monster walks the streets. My only hope is that since his dad is a real estate developer he got hit hard enough by the burst mortgage bubble that in the end his money will run out before the county's does.

Adolph 7 years, 2 months ago

Mr. OldEnuf says:

"But, a woman who is attracted to dangerous men will be vulnerable no matter what kind of guns they own. Her best defense is to grow her sense of "self" to the point where she's not letting guys like this into her life.

Did you notice that a man was breaking into her apartment and seeking to hurt her date (and, it seems, had already hurt her - badly), but at no point did it occur to her to call 911? If she won't dial 911 on him then she won't pull the trigger on a gun on him, either."

What a great comment! Let's just all start blaming the victim.

Adolph 7 years, 2 months ago

"Pardon me, but could you stop beating and strangling me long enough so that I can make a phone call? Thanks."

infidel785 7 years, 2 months ago

Actually, I am fully in favor of the death penalty. I think more states should use it.I think as a society we are way too lenient on criminals as a whole. As far as the concealed carry law; what good does it do to be able to bear arms if, when a burglar breaks into your house with a gun, you shoot him and then he turns around and sues YOU and YOU go to jail. Or even worse, you kill him and then get charged with manslaughter? Now, tell me what's wrong with the "system"!

JaegerOJIkeTurner_NoDifference 7 years, 2 months ago

HawkPerchedAtRiverFront had the audacity to say:

Why is it that everyone gets hung up on a spouse or girlfriend or boyfriend and then when they break up, they can't take it. The world is full of people. Lawrence is the 7th smartest city in the United States and these two, well four actually are at the bottom of the list.

FOUR?! Pray tell, is the victim in your count of four "bottom of the list" intelligence-wise?

The bulk of these comments are wonderful, and I can attest to the fact they bring a smile to the victim's face. However, the curious nature of posters such as HawkPerchedAtRiverFront and OldEnuf (who suggested she chose NOT to dial 911, as opposed to being unconscious from strangulation and suffered profuse vaginal bleeding and therefore UNABLE to do anything despite her preference) really inspire in me and I suspect plenty of others pure loathing.

I can tell you the victim and her actions in no way resemble the best guesses of the likes of you, and that you bother the rest of the article goers with your utter nonsense and musings devoid of any substance whatsoever speaks to your ignorance.

JaegerOJIkeTurner_NoDifference 7 years, 2 months ago

Groanmaggot (Anonymous) says:

A thought?! Try, "a thought worthy of zero credibility and total conjecture."

I have a thought for you, Groanmaggot: Hopefully someone like your apparent sympathetic figure Jaeger provides for you a real-life, first person experience with sheer agony, genital bleeding, and unspeakable brutality in general. Let me know if and when that happens, and then I'll have nothing but insults and degrading comments to throw at you in the aftermath. You disgust me.

Cait McKnelly 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh geez Groanmaggot (what an appropriate name), no matter what his "side of the story is" nothing justifies him going to her house, smashing in her window, threatening her current boyfriend, raping her, sodomizing her with a broken bottle, attempting to kill her by strangling her and putting her in the hospital for 11 days and through two surgeries. I don't care if she was the biggest lying, cheating whore who walked the planet she sure didn't deserve that. Once again, let's "blame the victim". You sound like the dad and his "big misunderstanding".

SteveAisenstein 7 years, 2 months ago

it will be interesting to see if Jaeger takes the stand in his own defense. My guess is that he won't. What could he say?

Also, there is another witness here: the new boyfriend. Add in all the forensic evidence, cell records, and the driver's testimony, and my guess is that this kid will be going away for a long time.

notajayhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

cait48 (Anonymous) says:

"My only hope is that since his dad is a real estate developer he got hit hard enough by the burst mortgage bubble that in the end his money will run out before the county's does."

There's always civil court. A nice ten million-dollar judgment and there goes the little boy's trust fund. But what would be really nice if it turns out that Mommy & Daddy paid for his martial arts training knowing he had a history of explosive violence. Maybe open them up to a suit?

hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says:

""It felt like she had glass in her", the woman said. Shouldn't that be "it felt like I had glass in me", the woman said. Was there another woman around telling her version to someone. I just don't understand the quoting and reporting. Me is soooooo dumb and live in the 7th smartest city."

First, the comma goes inside the quotes ("in her," or "in me," - not - "in her", or "in me",).

Second, the part you cited was not in quotes at all.

It was a clumsy sentence, and probably should have been written as: The woman said it felt like she had glass inside of her.

Groanmaggot (Anonymous) says:

"Perhaps we havn't heard his side. Perhaps she was a lying cheating whore who stole his money:. just a thought-"

First one (a thought) for you, I take it?

Besides what's been documented by other witnesses that make it evident that Jaeger is kin to the screen name you've chosen, even if she was a "lying cheating whore who stole his money," what he did was okay with you?

You're a moron. Just a thought.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

"What a great comment! Let's just all start blaming the victim. How insensitive can you be? Do you really think when you are being beaten you always have access to a phone to call 911? Do you really think it is that easy?!?!?!"

Read the story.

No, read the story AND read my post (Adolf did neither of those things). My post was mainly about women who allow abusive men into their lives, not about her, specifically.

If I blamed anyone, I blamed FATHERS for failing to demonstrate to their daughters what "safe" men look like. I never blamed her.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

No, that looks like "just a lack of thought". What part of his untold side of the story is going to give justification to her GENITALS BEING MUTILATED by him?

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

I will post an announc3ement I made about Nov. 1. readers' response was very generous and helped this victim know that she had support though she was anonymous. dear Reader or my fellow LJW poster, If you were wishing to express support for Jaeger's victim, or send something for her comfort and assistance, I now have a way for us to do that.

Send to:

Gadugi Faith Center/Rape victim Survivor service 2518 Ridge ct. Lawrence, KS 66046

Make your check out to the Gadugi Center, and either in the memo field of the check, or on the envelope, write "Jaeger case" and I am assured every cent will go to the victim's assistance.

I want to add that this is an appeal organized just by LJW posters, 'theeleventhstephanie' and me. Jaeger's victim represents many unreported victims of sexual violence who are also assisted by this very good organization. Gadugi Center is looking for additional support. This organization would also benefit from an unrestricted gift, too if you choose. Mrs. Gnome and I will be enclosing two checks in our envelope, one marked "Jaeger case" and the other unrestricted.

Jaeger's victim certainly deserves all the support we can muster after the things which she has suffered. /gnome

notajayhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad (Anonymous) says:

"Read the story. If you read it, you'll see that she woke up, then went outside looking for them. She had a chance to call 1) when he was climbing through the window and 2) after he left the apartment and was chasing her date."

The story doesn't say if, maybe, her phone was in the same room where he was coming through the window, or whether (after choking her unconscious and mutilating her before rushing out to find and attack her male friend) he might have torn the phone out of the wall. Or if she's one of a growing number of younger folks who only have cell phones, not a land line, and her cell might have been taken/smashed/hidden by Jaeger, or maybe waking up in a pool of her own blood and in intense pain she might not have remembered where it was.

dontjudgeuntilintheirshoes 7 years, 2 months ago

OldEnuf -

What do safe men look like? Can you give a description of an abusive man vs. a safe man? Do they have a certain look? What about when they are law abiding citizens and in a position to protect and serve? Aren't they suppose to be "safe men?"

Have you ever been beaten unconscious, strangled several times, regained consciousness, and then tried to remember where you are, clear your head even though it pounds so hard and you have a concussion; can't hardly focus because everything is black - you can't see because he hit you so many times in the head you are temporarily blind, yet need to find somewhere to hide because you are so afraid he will come back? Have you ever been so afraid that if he finds you on the phone, he will finish what he started (aka "kill you") before anyone can get there to help? Have you ever had anyone smash your cell phone (which is the only phone you have) and take away your one opportunity to get help? Have you ever been kept against your will with no avenue of escape - he will not let you leave or go get help? Have you ever been threatened that you will be 'whacked'? Have you ever been butchered? Have you ever had to beg for your life?

Have you ever been in a situation like this (a crime) in which people see you beaten and only stare or look away? Have you ever called their 'buddy' to come get him.... and yes, the friend comes - only they are both in law enforcement - they do not call 911........they certainly look like safe men, act like safe men.......aren't they?

Have you ever been left bleeding in a parking lot as he goes free only to learn later that his superiors went to check on him later that same day...... to make sure he is ok, never to be taken into custody even though he admitted what he did. He has not one scratch. Have you ever felt that you could trust noone?

Have you ever been fired from your job because you are 'too much of a liability' to have around because you are the victim of violence? Have you ever been left truly alone with noone to help you ..... or anyone to talk to? Your friends are scared to be around you - they turn away. Have you ever been left with no family, except for one older relative?

Your indifference and judgemental attitude to this situation only perpetuates the problem in our society in which the victim (usually female) is blamed for being victimized. Kinda like when a woman is raped....... "well, what was she wearing?" Or in the situation above they often ask, "What did she do to make him so mad?"

OldEnuf - I hope you and/or your loved ones are never the victims of a crime. My advice to you is not judge or make assumptions if you have never been in those shoes.

My sincerest and heartfelt feelings of hope are with the victim and her family/friends and may God giver her strength as she endures a trial.

dontjudgeuntilintheirshoes 7 years, 2 months ago

No, this did not occur with the Lawrence Kansas Police Department. It happened elsewhere. I heard of this story with this victim and my heart goes out to her.

My policeman ex-boyfriend isn't bothering me right now. If he did - it would somehow be my fault anyway. Now I deal with a "superior" on a regular basis - he has requests - a Lieutenant in a police department in a city of 2+ million.

I wouldn't dare say anything. I have learned doing so would be a huge mistake and have unforeseen consequences in many areas of my life. I have learned my lesson.

However, I am so happy this victim was helped by the police and that hopefully justice will prevail in her situation.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

i know the victim and saw her while she was with this low life dirt bag. and heres to you Groanmaggot for your cruel and heartless comment about her being a cheating whore, and stealing his money.

they were not even together dumbas so how was she cheating? and that justifies what he did to her???? you must be a woman beater, a complete dumbas or both!! what i know for a fact about this guy is that he cheated on her when they were togther all the time with his ex. unfortunaitly she did not leave him soon enough. this poor girl was always so strong when she dealt with him and the horrable way he treated her. and for stealing money from him, it was the other way around. people that knew them say that everytime she worked he took her money she made while his daddy sent him an endless cash flow. she worked her butt off, and this scum bag would take it from her as another way to control her. many guys ask about her and she is no slut, she is very very good looking and if she wanted to be a slut she could. this guy knew he had a one in a million girl and he wanted no one else to have her, even if it meant taking her life. when they were together he would be mean to other people and act like the classless guy that he is. i have seen her stand up to him for other people, knowing that the second they were alone she's get her 'punishment' from him. this girl has so much integrity people would never fully understand the extent of her honesty and bravery. and to all of you who comment about the officer pulling them over and her silence, she lost half her blood by that time, and this tough girl was fighting off death and unconciousness, trying to stay awake. she was scared for the officer i heard too, because jaeger threatened to hurt him and her if she said one word. do any of you think if you were loosing half your blood you'd be thinking as clearly as you normally would. lets remember, SHE IS THE VICTIM, she has a lot ahead of her, i cant believe the strength i has seen in her. i only wish all women could be as strong as her. she knowingly put her life on the line to get the other man out of her house thinking jaeger would kill him. since he got away, she was at the mercy of jaeger and knew it. how many people would do that.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

go ahead and make comments about my grammer or spelling errors. im shaking while i type this becuse i think of her and the good person she is, and am horrified this happened to her. touchy subject.

dontjudgeuntilintheirshoes 7 years, 2 months ago

Smitty -

Thank you. I just thought I should clarify. Thank you for the link you gave earlier.

SteveAisenstein 7 years, 2 months ago

To letslunch -

I think 99% of the people familiar with this case are quite disturbed with the facts as alleged. Again, this guy needs to go away for a long time, no question about it.

JaegerOJIkeTurner_NoDifference 7 years, 2 months ago

Letslunch:

Thank you. Groanmaggot and Oldenuf and people using this as a forum to bash the LPD have nothing on you. To think the victim is interested in comments from her fellow (presumably) Lawrence residents and then trash like Groanmaggot, Oldenuf, and LPD bashers contaminate this forum is sickening. I'm all for free speech, but hate speech be damned. Thanks again, letslunch.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

SteveAiesenstein- yes, i know you are right about how most people think this jaeger guy is a monster. i dont know her as well as her closest friends do probably, but in the instances i was around her it was obvious she was a srtong respectable young lady. she always put everyone before her, and fun to be around. it just makes me sick when bad things happen to such good people. sorry if i sounded a little hostle earlier, but people who dont know the victim make certian comments about her like they know what it is like to be in her shoes. i know her to an extent, and i have no freakin clue what that would be like. i know she has to face jaeger again this Tuesday and my prayers and thoughts are with her. it must be scary to face the man that tried to kill you. i just want her to get all the support she can.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

jaegerOJileturner.... nice name by the way, its pretty accurate. i dont know if she sees anything on here, i kinda doubt it, she's got a lot going on im sure with this case. thankfully there are people like you that share support for her. that support does wonders for victims. im sure she hears of the support she has and perhaps someday she'll see all this stuff... so to all you people who think you know what kind of girl or victim she is, think twice about what you say. she almost died and at the brink of death, blood loss, and suffication we can not begin to understand what must have been going on in her head, not to mention the level of intense pain and trama her little body endured. the sh*t bag needs to be locked up for good, and tormented. his father is a disgusting human being too. i say him and his son are both evil. Damn him and is money, lets stone them and give the victim their cash, or set up something for women who have suffered the way she did. the jaegers are living the highlife right now, after she was brutally attacked by that arogant SOB. something is wrong with that picture. the girl i know her to be is the type to make sure they pay, and no other girl will ever be hurt at his hands. like i said i don't know her as closely as i would like, but each time i was around her i was in awe at her integrity. lets hope the ladies in california at his lexurious facility are warned that a concience free sociopath is walking amoungst them.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

In all honesty, I regret my posts. I have made a few too many assumptions.

I find myself triggered by the number of women I meet who seem as if they were just tossed out into the world by their parents, unprepared for the likes of a Jaeger. It's one of those things that gets under my skin, and I probably needed to slow down before jumping on the keyboard.

My apologies to anyone I inadvertantly upset. This doesn't apply to Groanmaggot, who's post was just plain wrong.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

thanks for the apology OldE!! like i said, she's no dummy. she is the victim, but one hell of a tough girl. she has acually done things before her attack to try to help girls that have been sexually harassed in the past. i cant get into the details, but she put her neck on the line to stop this other man who was harassing her and other girls, and she was the only one who had the balls to do anything about it. and since then that guy has not been doing the things to younger girls, and believe me, it was her that taught him the lesson. it is ironic she too became a victim of such a gruesome crime. shes tough, but perhaps we should not try to make her out to be someone shes not. i dont think young girls my age have her selfless heart, and more than that the braveness she has. after reading these blogs i finally had to say something. i feel like she has already helped girls in L town for trying to stop the other man from sexually harassing and preying on college age girls. bless her heart. i wish i knew her better, and jaeger should get the chair for trying to take her out of this world. no girl deserves that. and if ladies are voulnerable and hanging out with the wrong guy, dont blame them, take a look at the guy? hes not to blame? or the parents. i understand your point, but things are not that simple. life just isnt black and white.

monkeyspunk 7 years, 2 months ago

Someone on here mentioned that him and his defense will try to muster a change of venue motion. Somehow I doubt that. He picked the absolute best county in Kansas to do this in. It is a very sad, but this fool may get off with a slap on the wrist, simply because he did it in Douglas County.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

while I agree with the comments by letslunch, jaegeroj... et al, I would also point out it is one thing to write supportive things on a blog. it is another to send a card, money, a meal coupon, for jaeger's victim's benefit. please see my earlier post RE the Gadugui center.

I don't know the young lady, and I don't want to break her anonymity; but someone I know is working with her. she has a lot more to go through until this trial is done. be willing to put actions to your words. this young lady deserves every bit of our support right now. if you send a card, she'll get it.
thanks.

Godfather94 7 years, 2 months ago

letslunch.................Thank you for all your input on your comments. After I read this horrific article, I knew Carroll had become victim to Jaeger Jelousy. The way you have described Carroll makes me feel even more sad inside. If this world had more Carrolls in it, what a great world this would be. I wish her the very best in her recovery and I hope she can get by all this someday. With friends like you, and being a strong person, she will. I am so glad that she will have family and friends in her time of need. I thought this article described what happen, was pretty detailed. I noticed some comments, that people were kind of confused. You people need to re-read the article to find out how the events took place. The majority of these comments (98%) do stand by Carroll. As for Jaeger's father, he sees this totally backwards. Anything to make his son out to be the hero and not make himself out to be the bad father. Jaeger has always gone through life getting everything handed to him on a platter. Now that he can't have what he wanted (relationship with Carroll) he had to convert to violence. What I am having a hard time with is the way DouglasCounty handles there crime. I live in JoCo and I know if this would have happened here, things would be alot different for Jaeger. I just don't see how this can be a county matter when federal laws are broken. What is wrong with Douglas County Judges? What is wrong with the prosecuting attorneys? It;s like an invitation for the criminals. Well I have rattled on enough. Carroll, If you are reading this, you get yourself better girl. Not only do you have family and friends with you, but even the caring people that don't know you. WAIT! I do kind of know you a littal bit Thanks to (letslunch) My prayers are with you Carroll.

StrangerCreek 7 years, 2 months ago

To bad we can't make him stand out in front of the Last Call at closing time...

notajayhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says:

"Please advise the J/w of the necessary corrections you made."

Wasn't me that tried to correct it. I had no trouble reading it as is. I was just pointing out that your "corrections" were anything but.

Godfather94 7 years, 2 months ago

I got a major detail wrong. I thought the victim's name was Carroll. I realize now that this was the last name of the driver. It does not change my feelings about the woman who has had to go through this. KMBC9 has a story on this also.

lovenhaight 7 years, 2 months ago

It drives me nuts that the rehab place this jerk is in is more like a resort than a rehabilitation center. I used to be an acquaintance of the victim, and we still have a few mutual friends, my heart goes out to her and I hope that Jaeger burns in a special hell devoted only to him.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

godfather..... no problem, it just got to the point where i couldnt keep my mouth shut. yes he was more than possesive over her like he owned her. stocked her all over town, and would always lay his hands on her. any support she gets is the best thing for her. she seemed liked the strong type on the outside, tough, but it can also be those people that really hurt deep down and this kind of thing would probably change your life forever, she has to relive the night she almost died for a while. our support can only give her strength.

beardedG..... You da man!! seriously though, you are absolutly right about showing support for her, and in doing that it also shows outrage against this jeager meat head. in trail if the court sees how disgusted everyone is w this mothafu*ker it will have an impact on the basics of justice that he should be locked up for a loooonnnggg time!! and not to mention the strength anyones support gives her. im pretty sure she has to face him tom again in court after doing it only a few days ago.thoughts and prayers are w her. i heard she did one hell of a job though friday, so props to her!! im sure it helps her to know that no one supports this dirt bag. BeardedG, thanks for your support.

AlligatorMama 7 years, 2 months ago

First off, nobody can say "if I were in this situation this is what I would do" because when you actually are in the situation (or similar) it doesn't work how you think it would. I always thought if anything ever happened like that to me that I knew what I would do...then when it did happen I froze and all I cared about was surviving. Now I can look back and say "I wish I had done this..or that" but I can't change it and neither can she. So no she didn't jump out of the car when the police stopped him, but she'd been badly hurt and had quite a bit of blood loss. Most of us would just sit there if we'd been through that kind of violence. Anyway, I don't think it's right that he even has the option of bond and I don't think rehab is the right place for a person like that! He should be locked up somewhere were someone can mutilate him! Maybe this is why rape victims don't come forward half of the time, nothing gets done about it!!!

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

the attacker is a scumbag. i REALLY hope he burns in hell. i hope the victim is adjusting to having a some what normal life. she now has freedom to live life, and before she did not. that mutha F-er made her life a living hell. i heard he even stocked her friends, and had people keeping an eye on her when he went back to his parents house. this sounds like something out of a movie. i hate to think about the things he has done to her that only she knows about. he is a sick F-er!!!!!! how is he not locked up??? if they take that tracking device off him, im gonna be pisssssed off!!!

SteveAisenstein 7 years, 2 months ago

Jerry Jaeger quote from: http://cbs2chicago.com/northsuburbanbureau/jujitsu.matthew.jaeger.2.344573.html

"this has been a nightmare for us. The story the police are telling is so far out of whack, it's unbelievable."

Believe it buddy. It's not just the story the police are telling, but the evidence, witnesses, cell phone records. A nightmare for you? Please.

notajayhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

SteveAisenstein (Anonymous) says:

"Jerry Jaeger quote ... A nightmare for you? Please."

The real nightmare for this guy must be waking up and finding out it wasn't a dream, the little sh** really is his kid.

Or maybe the nightmare is that after all is said and done, he'll be moving back home!

Then again, daddy doesn't sound like too much of a prize himself.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

letslunch, thanks, but I really just felt like doing what was necessary and teamed up with another poster theeleventhstephanie.
you are correct that the rallying of her support is also I believe recognition of the horrific nature of her sufferings and the attack itself. most people don't know what it means to have to learn through rehabilitation how to walk again; I do, as I've witnessed my wife lose it and regain it.
this victim has many more months of psychological and physical rehabilitation to accomplish. I'm simply glad to have made a difference and use my keyboard for this kind of good. I too am shocked by the comments of jaeger's dad: the nut didn't fall far from the tree!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

and, for those who have sent support due to privacy the RVSS couldn't release exact figures, but I was told that people "were very generous" in helping this victim. further, it is worth noting that this is quite historic in this community. once I got involved, I learned that never before had community members rallied to support a particular victim. given the nature of her attack and her rehab, this young lady deserves to be the first in lawrence. thank you all for responding so well to the previous appeals for this victim. it really helped.

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

Just a quick sidenote to the above post (FYI)

Any victim of a crime in Kansas can apply to the Victim Compensation Board in Topeka. The DA will provide paperwork to do so. The Board will review the crime (this can take a few months), medical costs etc. and then award restitution. The restitution, if they deem warranted, is ordered to be paid by the person who committed the crime. The criminal pays it to the Board who then writes a check to the victim.

Personally, I hope that once this victim goes thru the trial and has some time to get better physically and emotionally that she brings a civil suit on this guy!!!

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

I forgot to mention that the Board reviews crimes that can either be physical or financial in which someone is seeking restitution.

I don't know what I would have done financially without the support of the Board. I could have never paid my medical costs (aggravated battery) without their assistance.

elyse 7 years, 2 months ago

Hello Lawrence,

Although it is great that many, many people have donated $$$ to the victim of this crime, I think it is important to remember that there are many woman and children in Douglas county that suffer similar circumstances. This type of crime continues to happen daily, weekly, monthly and yearly in Larryville and the surrounding communities. This type of crime can and does happen to people of all walks of life...cutting across socio-economic levels, causing heartache, physical, mental and spiritual pain to all involved.

GaDuGi SafeCenter helps many women and children throughout the year, providing support not only to the victim, but for family and friends of the victims. This support involves direct services: contact and support at the ER and/or law enforcement center, providing information on counseling/therapy to begin the healing process, support during the legal process and continued support throughout the healing process.

Therefore, I suggest that anyone who is so inclined as to donate money, does so to GaDuGi SafeCenter's direct services so that this agency can continue to provide the much needed services that it provides to our community.

GaDuGi SafeCenter 2518 Ridge Court #202 Lawrence, KS 66046

785-843-8985

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

Elyse -

That's great information. In my personal situation, I didn't know about this center until months after my 'situation'.

Thank you for posting this as it is so informative for the community.

Do you know, or does anyone know, how long after a situation they continue to counsel? In other words, is there a time limit to the counseling services? I haven't been able to talk about what happened (even though it has been over a year ago) so I never called them (still hesitant) but now find that I am beginning to face the fact/need that I should to talk with someone.

elyse 7 years, 2 months ago

GaDuGi SafeCenter doesn't offer counseling. The agency offers advocacy and support for vicitms (free & confidential), as well as advocacy during the sexual assault examination, police interview and court appointments. The direct services component helps victims explore options that are available to them throughout the community (ie. therapy, empowerment groups, safety plannig, etc.)

If you want to contact this agency you can call them at 785.843.8985 or at the 24/7 hotline supported by Headquarters Counseling Center 785-841-2345 (Lawrence) or 1-888-899-2345 (Baldwin).

elyse 7 years, 2 months ago

Krakatau, good luck on your healing journey. This agency is there to help, give them a call.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

that sounds like such a wonderful center for victims/family/friends. it is nice to give support for the people while they all have to go through the process of court hearings, trial, and not to mention recovery. so i am a little confused, if i send a donation for the victim to GaDuGi it will go straight to her?..... but thanks for the info!!

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

i know there are horific things that happen to people all the time, things people cant imagine and much thanks to such a supportive center. This particular attack is some what known and gruesome...not just mutating someones genitals, but doing so severly to the point that it almost killed them. i just feel that no one can comprehend that horific attack quite the way she can. showing support for her shows how much this guy is a disgrace to the human race and influences other people who need help with similar situations. beardedG is right and every little bit helps. she has been through an horiffic attack, which is probably puting it lightly. this guy needs to know he is going down. that bastrd tryied to kill her. just who the hell does he think he is???!!!!..... " oh, my fathers loaded and got me out of all the other bad things i did before, so i think im just gonna kill this girl tonight, have an acompliss so ill have a driver, and my daddy can pay his way out of it...." By the way did anyone see what the attacker said about the twenty dollars to the offier? its horrable, just proves the little sht thought he could do what ever he wanted. and is twenty dollars worth her life??? so a girls most privite area can be beaten in so severly that it leaves her on the brink of death, and this punk tries to give an officer twenty dollars as shes probably bleeding to death, as a bribe to get the officer to uncuff him and just let him go home. i saw something about that on the news and was heated. that just shows ths the insanity of this so called human, personally i say he is a barbarion, monster, and sociopth. nice to know her life was worth twenty dollers. it was on a few of the news channels so ill try to get some links.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

she needs and im sure is more than greatful for any support she has recieved. this scumbag got hooked up with almost 1 mill to get out of what her did to her and is now a free man. and now is living the high life in some place in malabu. this is an outrage. for how bad her attacked he im sure she still has a long way to go recovering.

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

Letslunch -

It is great to see someone who is so supportive of another who has been through so much (as are so many people by looking at all of the entries on this article). I can't even think of the words to describe Jaeger's actions....there are no words to describe such an inhumane animal - he is below the scum of the earth.

I must say by reading all of the posts on here that it is reassuring to see that so many men are outraged at any crime towards women. Sometimes, I feel afraid of and very insecure around men, even a year after my situation, and it helps to know that the majority of men are not like this "Jaeger coward and sorry excuse for a man".

It's great to see people who think it is wrong and who are strong enough inside to voice their intolerance, not turn the other cheek nor put their head down because they are unsure of what to say or if they should say anything.

I believe wholeheartedly that this young woman is going to pull out of this situation, and all its many obstacles, an incredibly strong person. She is already a pillar of strength to go through what she has had to endure at the hands of this monster. The road will be very difficult at times but she will get through this.

No JaegerMonster is going to tear her down!!

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 2 months ago

If you wish to donate to the victim of this particular crime, please mark the envelope or check "Jaeger case," and the money (or gift card, etc.) will go to her. You can send it to the address above. Unmarked checks go to their general fund. Or, you can do both.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

letslunch et al, I've spoken with the Gadugi director, that is the "safe center" not my typo above. and at this point your support would do more good to the center unrestricted. sadly, for every jaeger victim there are ten more, including children. often confidentiality prevents us from hearing the horrible details. but if you are moved by the story of jaeger's victim, as I wrote above, she represents many, and it is now time for unrestricted gifts to the center.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

bearded_gnome TheEleventhStephanie thank you for sharing the information you have so people know what to do if they choose to show support, and help. i agree there should be support for all victims no question! w jaeger i know he really hurt her emotionally, physically, and tried to rob her of all she had so she had nothing but him in his sick mind, thats how psychos think. i have a friend who told me he destroyed all her clothes, so she had nothing "cute" to wear.... so no man can see her as pretty, and probably just to make her have low self esteem. this piece of sh*t also broke her car so she couldn't drive it. i have a mutual friend that says they saw him on her birthday hit her in the head, then ripped and destroyed her shirt and pants. what a classy guy, he sure nows how to show a girl a nice birthday.

letslunch 7 years, 2 months ago

Krakatau: i am honorably sorry that you suffered a traumatic experience!! as someone who is pretty familiar w the victim, i appreciate your kind words, and i know she would too. she wants to fight as hard as she can to make sure he gets locked up for as long as possible, for herself and for all women who have been beaten by a man, and even killed. hopefully the brutality of this crime will inspire others to not only have a certain respect for victims, but develop intolerance with any unfortunate crimes like this that will sadly be committed in the future. this fool is lucky he doesn't have attempted murder. thats what is "mind boggling" cause she would have died that night if the police officer didn't get her when he did. so why no attempted murder charge???! that SOB!!! sorry i go on and on when i get started. im her age and i just get scared even thinking about what she had to deal with when it comes to that sick obsessed heartless beast. His father must be proud. or actually maybe he really is considering the wonderful comments he made to the media as the girl his son attacked is laying in the hospital. i am pretty sure she doesn't look at anything in the media/news or even on here. because of Mr. jaegers (daddy's) "sympathetic" words. i know that when she was in the hospital she was told about what mr. jaeger had to say about all this, and it was pretty hard for her to hear that. she had lots of good friends in the hospital and they said after that she asked people not to tell her things from the media. but thanks to normal people that are nice, all these blogs are a good way to show support!! i think she feels a lot for this town, all the support she gets only gives her the confidence to do what she needs to do to show that little sh*t that this time his fathers money will not get him out of what he did!!!! oh, and that comment the attacker made about 20 dollars as a bribe to get the officer to un-handcuff him and take him home. ...." yeah, ill take you home, thanks for the 20, oh hope you sleep well in bed tonight, while your ex girlfriend is having emergency surgery to the vagina, and she may have lost too much blood to even stay alive tonight, but sleep tight".. what they hell kind of response did that d-bag think he was going to get from the officer. shows how much he values the life of another human. she was worth twenty dollars. okay, im done venting, i just think it cant hurt not to sugar coat how much of a maniac he is. scary to think he used to live here, roaming the streets!