Archive for Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lawrence is No. 7 on smart cities list

February 21, 2008

Lawrence one of four Big 12 towns in smartest cities list

If you always feel your neighbors are smarter than you, it may not be your fault. It may be where you live. Enlarge video

Forbes.com recently ranked the 10 'smartest' cities in the country.

Forbes.com recently ranked the 10 'smartest' cities in the country.

Reader poll
Lawrence makes the top of a number of national lists. This month it was named the seventh smartest city in the country by Forbes.com. But which list is the most prestigious?

or See the results without voting

Seventh Smartest City in America

If you always feel like your neighbors are smarter than you, it's probably true.

Forbes.com has ranked Lawrence the seventh-smartest city in the country.

"Employers are looking for a diverse population," Mayor Sue Hack said Wednesday. "If biosciences and high tech jobs are a priority for economic development, we can show those employers that we can meet their work force needs right here. They don't need to go to somewhere else, like North Carolina."

Forbes developed the rankings by comparing more than 300 metropolitan statistical areas in the United States and then ranking them by the percentage of residents with bachelor's degrees or higher. In its list, Forbes also mentioned the percent of residents who finished high school or had a Ph.D.

Almost 44 percent of Lawrence residents 25 or older have at least a bachelor's degree. About 93 percent of residents had graduated high school.

"I think it's a great complement to our educational system, all the way from pre-kindergarten all the way up through higher education," Hack said. "It's something we've always known, but it's nice to get national recognition."

Joining Lawrence on the list were Boulder, Colo., in first place, followed by Bethesda, Md., Ithaca, N.Y., Ann Arbor, Mich., Corvallis, Ore., and Ames, Iowa.

All those towns, and indeed most on the list, were home to a major university like Kansas University. Among KU's other Big 12 peers, Columbia, Mo., was 11th and Austin, Texas, was 24th.

Comments

Taco_Freaker 6 years, 2 months ago

If lawrence continues to take on more conservitives, then it will become a sprawl like joco. More traffic, more crime. More granite lined taxfree tithe churches ..... Go REDS.... Time to move to New Zealand unless Barak wins and ALL the rightys move out...LOL

camper 6 years, 2 months ago

I think lawrence might really be the 79th smartest city in the land. I've studied it carefully. For a long time I believed it was the 83rd though.

nomansland 6 years, 2 months ago

I really don't think Lawrence is as smart as it used to be. Too many suburban people have moved in and stupified this town.

plumberscrack 6 years, 2 months ago

tigerforlife says: 7th smartest city?

obviously they didn't interview many jayhawk fans: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're right, they interviewed Missouri tigers fans as to our rating of 7th smartest city. When asked why they were voting for Lawrence, they said "Hell, they have to be smarter to be home of the Jayhawks. Here in Missery (Spelled Missouri) we just have a football team and Lawrence has a football AND basketball team."

By the way, how is your basketball team? Never mine........(hahahaa)

more_cowbell 6 years, 2 months ago

And apparently the weather staff at the J-W isn't the reason either:

The forecast for Friday says "Early Furrie" http://www.6newslawrence.com/weather/

X-D

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh dear, so many to respond to...

notajayhawk (Anonymous) says:

monkeyhawk (Anonymous) says:

"Hack assumes that the smart people were brought up through this school system. She needs to understand that there are very few smart people who are originally from this little prairie paradise. The smart children I know are from smart parents, none of whom are USD whatever educated. Some were educated in the excellent Shawnee Mission / Blue Valley systems, but most are from areas far away from here. So, for our mayor to take credit for the overindulged school system is disingenuous."

I SO agree. When I returned to the dating scene a few years ago, I was shocked at the difference locals vs. 15 miles or more away from Lawrence. Small town. Even if they had earned a PhD (like phys ed LOL) They thought they were doctors and even their email names said so, but they didn't know squat compared to smart people from here, and especially people from greater areas. (higher education at important places). Talk about shocking and frightening. I was actually physically injured from someone who had a PhD in a field, who thought they knew more than my Orthopedic and P.T staff. A local PT, when assessing my body, she was so ANGRY, she wanted the man arrested!

Mommaeffort: I don't know how you do it. I've sat for a large number of children, around 4-5-6-, but not that amount so young. And it's always handy to have a husband around to play games while you are taking care of things. Sympathy / Empathy for you. Hang in there. Or pick up and leave his gameplaying self.

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 2 months ago

Clearly these people haven't met Richard (merrill).

Taco_Freaker 6 years, 2 months ago

This is Kansas....land of the rednecks... NASCAR....bibles and other misc junk... KS- where the biggots and monkeys are in charge. Thats b3, STRS, madmike, parkay and all the others who want to destroy the US and put in it's place a religious dictatorship.....

Carl Edwards 6 years, 2 months ago

Judging from the quality of some of the comments here, it's a wonder that we're not lower than 7th.

hornhunter 6 years, 2 months ago

cool, The only reason Boulder is smart then Lawrence, is because they are one less on Eastern slope sprawl, YOU. And you can't froget to get one more stab at the oread inn and the historic areas. So now I know this article did not include you.

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

compmd (Anonymous) says:

"Yes, I've been to Massachusetts, and have run across plenty of "those people" you refer to. :) I also know lots of people at Harvard, Brandeis, and MIT."

Cambridge also has legions of folks who push brooms through the hallways of Harvard, Brandeis, and MIT (and a number of other universities around there). Something tells me the average Harvard kid finds a janitorial work-study job as somewhat less than attractive.

Also, as I mentioned earlier (or maybe in the other thread on this), a lot of KU and Baker graduates stay here when they graduate - they can afford to. In the Cambridge (or the general Massachusetts) area - not much affordable housing for someone just graduating with a bachelors. When I used to work for the federal government I put in for a transfer to a different agency. One of the places they wanted to send me was to Boston - as a grade 5 (which at the time paid about 21K). I declined.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

who care how much education you have people just enjoy life and live longer education does not help with that. More work less play=more education,more work where be the fun?

rockchaulk2 6 years, 2 months ago

so...we are 7th. wonder where we rank on per capita income,hourly wages,etc.?..just wondering.

compmd 6 years, 2 months ago

notajayhawk said: "You've evidently never been to Massachusetts. And you don't know that many msshles."

Yes, I've been to Massachusetts, and have run across plenty of "those people" you refer to. :) I also know lots of people at Harvard, Brandeis, and MIT. However, I haven't been impressed by anyone at MIT lately.

mick 6 years, 2 months ago

If it is true that Lawrence is the 7th smartest town in the country you need to temper that with the fact that the USA is 29th in the world and declining rapidly.

horsegirl 6 years, 2 months ago

I have to say, at least for local newspapers, the LJW comments have got to be some of the most entertaining and wildly debated comments of anything I've read. Course, I only tend to read KC, Larwrence and Topeka papers...

There seem to be a lot of people with their panties in a wad over this proclamation. People getting offended because maybe they didn't have a college degree, and then of course those people who don't live in Lawrence. Well, it is true a college degree does not make you more intellegent. It only makes you more educated. There is a difference. However, there are plenty of educated people who have a lot of common sense and there are plenty of non-educated people with common sense. And then there are the complete idiots, both educated and not. But for a "census" like this one, they have to look at measurable factors. Common sense is not one of them.

kawryan 6 years, 2 months ago

Thank god they don't count the local paper online comments as a consideration!

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 2 months ago

The same outfit said that San Fransico is the best place to raise a child?

cool 6 years, 2 months ago

LawrenceLover88 (Anonymous) says: Lots of snobbery poppin' off on this ole message board today. And this whole smart, dumb, book smart, common sense debate:ah such naps: How about a few moments to count a few of the blessings this town has to offer you? Here is a short list; feel free to create your own: Dusty Bookshelf The arts center Mass street on a Technicolor day (even in ice, jeez) Walking across campus in October Friendly, friendly people:for the most part. Farmers markets Waxman's candles Fourth of July on the Kaw: If you don't love it here, you obviously haven't tried to move away:

cool would like to point out the HISTORIC and HERITAGE AREA parts of Lawrence and also mention that the above mentioned items are all in the historic parts of the City which we must all work to preserve.

notnowdear 6 years, 2 months ago

Madison, Wi is far smarter than Lawrence! I don't believe this Forbes article. Just more propaganda, as far as I can see. But I do believe that Boulder is smarter than Lawrence. It is a nice town, and has a intelligent atmosphere.

I view the research embargo sites all the time and I do not see research coming out of KU. KSU's research is frequent, and U of Wisconsin-Madison beats them both, with fascinating research.

My contact with Iowa City is sorely limited to a gas station. I would love to explore the town tho.

I regularly read New Scientist as well, and it never mentions KU.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

oh buggie such drastic messures? he's bored but now he can shovel the driveway and sidewalk. yippie.:)

LawrenceLover88 6 years, 2 months ago

Lots of snobbery poppin' off on this ole message board today.

And this whole smart, dumb, book smart, common sense debate...ah such naps...

Dusty Bookshelf

The arts center

Mass street on a Technicolor day (even in ice, jeez)

Walking across campus in October

Friendly, friendly people...for the most part.

Farmers markets

Waxman's candles

Fourth of July on the Kaw...

If you don't love it here, you obviously haven't tried to move away...

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

compmd (Anonymous) says:

"Something everyone has neglected to note is that Lawrence is ranked above the Cambridge, MA metro area. I find that extremely intriguing."

Buggie7 6 years, 2 months ago

book smart but dummer than a bag of rocks. Common sense isnt a given in the area. There are alot of "Book Smart" people but as said above can they cook a potato? Mammaeffortx2 trash the ps2 or him or both you can do better.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

now this is smart, in a house with bad weather and a 7,6,5 2 4yrolds,3, and a 1 year old and a hubby who wants to play the ps2, no logic or brains what was I thinking.

cool 6 years, 2 months ago

boulder is 'smarter' but also the county population i believe is about double of douglas county.

cool 6 years, 2 months ago

received this IM from a forum member regarding the proposed OREAD INN, www.oreadinn.com

One thing you can be sure of concerning the commission - if it's reasonable and prudent it will not be done.

TIF's for blighted areas ?

Cheers

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

vegetablegirl (Anonymous) says:

"Roy should have never left:. where are the big cities in NC?"

'Hey, we can all sue for emotional distress because someone else got arrested!'

granola 6 years, 2 months ago

Columbia?? They must have some misinformation....those peeps are the stupidest ogres I have ever. Think about it...Quinn Snyder?

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 2 months ago

Big Prune is right on target.And correct about the ranking as b.s. I hope those prunes were too big, you know what I mean or there will be some real b.s.

So smart the town is that it cannot figure out how to time three street lights on 6th street with city hall only yards from them.

Big Prune, got any of those prunes left? The town needs a cleansing.

compmd 6 years, 2 months ago

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

tigerforlife: Get over it. You didn't deserve a decent bowl game.

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

As others have said, if Columbia, Missery, is on the list, then the list is a joke. I bet this list is really "cities who think they're the smartest." If this is based on diplomas, then that's really sad. I know several people in my college class who could barely read a textbook, and they definitely couldn't comprehend it. I can't wait to see the bumper sticker: "Lawrence: America's Most Smartest Town." Yes, it's a play off a particular TV show's title.

Escapee 6 years, 2 months ago

Grasping for kudos.... This is the biggest joke yet. The only thing that makes Lawrence's 'diverse' pop. contribute to a title like this is it's senior citizens. They come here because it's small scale 'cultural' and for those who've achieved some degree of financial success -- it offers a pretty cushy life for a reasonable price and still is close to good docs, hospitals, etc. These are things that are attractive to people who've thought thru what retirement needs might be. There is a significant retirement population here -- and they are fabulously intelligent, good citizens...if they can tolerate the old hippy, left over KU grad culture that is so vocal in keeping a thriving homeless, gun-wielding population to keep us all looking over our shoulders in this god forsaken small town that has way too many problems to be considered 'smart' at all....

tigerforlife 6 years, 2 months ago

7th smartest city?

obviously they didn't interview many jayhawk fans...

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

picky picky people have fun enjoy life play in the snow.

JSpizias 6 years, 2 months ago

For the home of my alma mater (Purdue) West Lafayette, IN the figures are:

Bachelor's degree or higher, pct of persons age 25+, 2000
69.7%

nuff said!

BigPrune 6 years, 2 months ago

The more I think about it, this ranking is total b.s.

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm, the seventh smartest city and employers are looking for smart cities? Why then, did a local business, Deciphera have to be bribed to stay here? Where are all the "smart" employers and businesses backed up on the freeway to get to the "smart" city. This article has about as much truth to it as does the fact that the county plans to cut the budget . Who got to Forbes?

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 2 months ago

(I do enjoy annoying some posters - not you - that I think are morons however). -blabboy

Facts please.

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

monkeyhawk (Anonymous) says:

The story did mention things like high school graduation rates, too, and I think that's the part the mayor was referring to. However, high rates of graduation can just as easily mean very, very bad schools as good ones. Would you rate JCCC a better school than KU if more of their kids finished?

I moved here from the Kansas CIty (MO) area. I worked with high school kids who were getting A's and B's in school, and literally could not spell three-letter words correctly. Just because the bodies are sitting there for the whole four years doesn't mean it's a good school.

JSpizias 6 years, 2 months ago

Data from US Census quick facts show that for the entire County (2000 census), Johnson County, KS has a higher percentage of people with a Bachelor's degree or higher than Lawrence.

Bachelor's degree or higher, pct of persons age 25+, 2000
47.7% (Johnson County) 25.8% (State of Kansas)

For the City of Leawood, KS the figures are: Bachelor's degree or higher, pct of persons age 25+, 2000 68.0%

I think this says something about the quality of the "research" done by Forbes.

See for yourself: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/20/2039075.html

Laura Watkins 6 years, 2 months ago

speaking of smart, you misspelled compliment. it's compliment unless you are using it as a verb, then it is complement.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

no logic just so many people saying so many negative things on here thought to lighten things up and your logic is sound. I always think fun is a good thing laughter and smiles make you live longer.

logicsound04 6 years, 2 months ago

"now you really did not need to explain anything you know, the whole smart thing is supposed to come in to play, I think: this is about being smat right? Heck now i'm confused."

Now I'm thinking I'm the one who's been had by a clever joke. Touche.

BigPrune 6 years, 2 months ago

Having common sense is more important than being book smart, as we all know, there are a lot of book smart people who absolutely have zero common sense whatsoever.

BABBOY 6 years, 2 months ago

I was getting excited and feeling good. Then, I learned the poll was based on imput from random samplings like Dollypawpaw.

It was good while it lasted.....

Logic: I got your joke.

Maybe you should consider my approach on this site which is that I almost never respond to people who respond to my posts (I do enjoy annoying some posters -- not you -- that I think are morons however). I refuse (generally) to argue directly with people unless there is money involved.....

DBAWalt 6 years, 2 months ago

NOT SMARTEST.

"Highest percentage of advanced educated people", or "city with the highest proportion of people with a college degree", or something, but you have only to read some of the postings in these comments to see that "Smartest" is not represented.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

now you really did not need to explain anything you know, the whole smart thing is supposed to come in to play, I think... this is about being smat right? Heck now i'm confused.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

logic give me a break, you think I am smart or something?:) Just kidding,

KUGreenMachine 6 years, 2 months ago

...since when has it been "Kansas University"?

logicsound04 6 years, 2 months ago

"logic where the logic?"

Well, 7 is higher than 5, and DPP claimed to have been responsible for bumping Lawrence UP two spaces.

While I'm sure DPP meant that he/she had bumped us from 9th to 7th, I was using the fact that "up" has a different usage context in rankings to make a joke at his/her expense.

But, alas, now that I've had to explain it, it isn't nearly as funny.

Defender 6 years, 2 months ago

"Than how come everyone who lives around me are idiots."

You should read your post, b3. Just makes you out to be the idiot that you are.

macon47 6 years, 2 months ago

being on the same list with boulder and columbia pretty well negates any value to the award

Gabe Hoffman 6 years, 2 months ago

Grammatical errors on a public forum; who cares?

I also, find it funny, that those who point out errors in others post, generally have errors in their own.

b3 6 years, 2 months ago

Than how come everyone who lives around me are idiots.

logicsound04 6 years, 2 months ago

"The gal said that I bumped the towns rating up 2 places."

Why would we thank you for taking us from 5 to 7?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

moneyhawk you are being unfair I know plenty of smart people born and raised in law. in the public schools. people are only as smart, book wise, as they let themselves be. Even in the worst school a person can choose to go beyond and study and read and educate themselves.

monkeyhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 2 months ago

I was one of the residents that was polled by Forbes.

The gal said that I bumped the towns rating up 2 places.

You're all welcome.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 2 months ago

A "degree" does not a "smart" person make! There's many "educated" fools around here......

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 2 months ago

I would've written it like this:

"Obviously gigolo, if proper grammar and usage were a necessity for posting on forums, 99% of all comments would not be posted.

arizonajh 6 years, 2 months ago

Who would have thought college towns would have the most people with degrees? I bet if we set up a study we could prove that towns that are located next to bodies of water have the most boats and cites with skyscapers have the most people living above 25 floors.

Take away the university ( from Lawrence, Bolder, Ames, etc) and very few jobs in town require a degree. Look at the want ads in todays paper what is there that requires a degree besides health care and ed? Where's the company headquaters or the major manufacturing? Every time I come back to Lawrence I see all kinds of well educated people, I'm sure many with letters behind thier names. I see them working at the grocery store, yellow sub and tending bar earning $7.00 an hour and thanking God they have a job at all.

fu7il3 6 years, 2 months ago

If the people are so smart, why are the drivers such idiots?

Reality_Check 6 years, 2 months ago

"All those towns, and indeed most on the list, were home to a major university like Kansas University"

You mean college towns have more college-educated people in them? OMG! Shocking, shocking I tell you!

What would we do without magazines like Forbes to tell us the freakin' obvious?

beobachter 6 years, 2 months ago

Obviously gigolo, if proper grammar usage was a necessity for posting on forums, 99% of all posts would not make it on.

volunteer 6 years, 2 months ago

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. But what do I know. When I studied grammar we were instructed to write "graduated from high school" rather than "graduated high school."

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 2 months ago

doc1 (Anonymous) says:

"if you could only get rid of those trailer parks Lawrence could move up the ladder. JK"

Being smart is also about being tolerance. Look at the list, everyone has their share of homeless and trailer parks.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 2 months ago

Obviously, the proper use of prepositions and construction of a simple compound sentences is still a bit challenging for some in Lawrence who claim to be intelligent.

beobachter 6 years, 2 months ago

Obviously ratings were prior to election of current city commission. That proved we aren't a very smart city.

missmagoo 6 years, 2 months ago

Columbia, MO?

hahahaha... yeah right.

DaREEKKU 6 years, 2 months ago

right_thinker To excel with academia, and SUCK with real life. "A book smart professor was hit by a bus. Brilliant on paper, dull in life."

...jealousy maybe? Tisk...

Gabe Hoffman 6 years, 2 months ago

A city in Missouri made the list. It's a fraud.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

Go to AnnArbor at least 2 times a year vlots of big houses a huge hospital and a bunch of college kids that think the own everything. But it is a pretty place laid out kinda weird roads make no sense but in all never had a bad experience up there except that one Feb. when it was who knows how low below zero and then you just add the wind to that was cold enough that it cracked the face on my cell phone in my coat pocket. IT WAS COLD... I need to move to Hawaii.....sigh sigh sigh I hate the cold...

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 2 months ago

A couple "book smart" definitions:

Being able to succeed scholastically, and not necessarily in the real world.

"Sure she's book smart, but she can't cook a potato!"

To excel with academia, and SUCK with real life.

"A book smart professor was hit by a bus. Brilliant on paper, dull in life."

Richard Heckler 6 years, 2 months ago

Looks like our local real estate industry executives are busy filling out forms again entering favorite city contests.

Yet smart Lawrence still has this problem, so it kinda makes one wonder how these ratings are decided.

The problem is our mismanaged high tax bedroom community.

The city's current budget. crunch can be tied directly to infrastructure expenses needed to serve new housing developments.

If residential growth paid for itself and was financially positive, we would not be in a budget crunch But with increased numbers of houses you have increased demand on services, and historically the funding of revenues generated by single-family housing does not pay for the services, they require from a municipality.

Why are Lawrence powers that be continuing down this same path that does nothing but expand our tax bills? Spending more on NEW infrastructure for more housing,retail and light industrial property without tenants not only increases our tax bills but is likely decreasing the value of our homes due to a flooded market.

If the housing boom were paying back to the community it seems residents would be receiving tax rebates instead of Dicephera.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 2 months ago

Good observation, powershopper. I feel most of the LJW neighbors won't get their underpants in a bunch over this and dispute it like the 'worst city for homeless' and the 'declining population' threads that went on some time ago.

I must say, I just sold our old washer, dryer and stove from LJW classified (thank you LJW----unbelievable response) and I must say, the two parties that came over to pick up the items are certainly not representative of this particular list.

Still, you guys are great!!

yankeelady 6 years, 2 months ago

It doesn't do us much good since the city makes it so difficult for business to locate here. Everything from Deciphera to the American Eagle fiasco a few years ago. And if the city does approve something there will be anti growth (change) groups out against it. Not to mention the issue with roads and access.

plumberscrack 6 years, 2 months ago

p>"Forbes.com has ranked Lawrence the seventh-smartest city in the country." +++++++++++++++++++++++

And run by idiot Mayor and idiot commissioners......

Notice Boulder, Colorado as #1 that so many of you say we shouldn't be like......LOL.

powershopper 6 years, 2 months ago

I have worked for three companies on Forbes top 100 employers list and each and everyone of them were miserable experiences. I later discovered that those included on the list had to pay to be there. Great recruiting tool actually. I am somewhat skeptical about Lawrence being the 7th smartest in the nation. Bethesda and Ann Arbor I can believe, but Lawrence.......

vegetablegirl 6 years, 2 months ago

Roy should have never left.... where are the big cities in NC?

doc1 6 years, 2 months ago