Letters to the Editor

Cookie threat

February 20, 2008

To the editor:

Imagine my surprise when I found the Valentine's gift my daughter had sent to her grandparents returned. Our 7-year-old baked and decorated cookies and carefully packed them in a box, which she decorated with Valentine's greetings.

The package was properly stamped and addressed but had the following official stickers placed on it: "IMPORTANT CUSTOMER INFORMATION: We regret that your mail was not collected or is being returned to you due to heightened security requirements. All mail that bears postage stamps and weighs more than 13 ounces MUST be taken by the customer to a retail service associated at a Post Office." They included another sticker saying "SURFACE TRANSPORTATION ONLY" with the "no airplane" logo.

I feel better knowing our country is finally safe from Valentine's Day cookies.

Diane Hachmeister,
Oskaloosa

Comments

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

I thought you'd probably like that. I was just trying to predict the direction the conversation could likely go.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

Jonas---very funny 4:48!!

LS04, I too feel the way you do about arpt security...and we have TSA workers now smugly trafficking kilos of blow thru security.

I have to be honest here and may sound like a jerk (what's new), but I'm at KCI about twice a week, give or take, and I have to say, the TSA 'security' personnel look like they were formerly carnies. It's a virtual conglomeration of rejects. I just translate that into a big, "What the f*ck"???? These people are my front-line defense? Not so much.

americorps 6 years, 1 month ago

redmoonrising (Anonymous) says: It's a pain, we may not like it, but it is for our own security.

I do not believe in a million years that this will protect my country from terrorism, foreign or domestic.

matahari 6 years, 1 month ago

what? you didn't recieve the memo?

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

And no, not Pitts. If it was him, of course, it would have been "Cracker threat."

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Huh. Thought this was another Cal Thomas article.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

Keep your hand out of the cookie jar is my advice.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 1 month ago

When I was studying in Costa Rica my sister sent me a couple of boxes of GS thin mints. It took me 2 days to get it from the main post office in San Jose. They had to xray it to see if it held drugs. There is no airconditioning in most places, so when I finally got them they had melted together. I also had to pay as much to get them as my sister paid to buy the cookies and ship them. They still tasted good, and for awhile I was very popular with the other KU students.

logicsound04 6 years, 1 month ago

Um, how many instances of bombs/weapons/anthrax arriving in the mail did we have BEFORE the heightened 9/11 restrictions took hold?

And I also have to wonder if 13 oz is really the best benchmark we can come up with to designate a package a potential threat or not....

Just like most of the airport measures--all show, little substance.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

That is how the cookie crumbles...

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

I feel better knowing these types of restrictions are in place. You can make fun of these rules all you want, but you wouldn't be laughing if a nice ticking package arrived at your home. Sorry, I just care more about my safety and I don't care about these stupid cookies. Send a card.

redmoonrising 6 years, 1 month ago

It's a pain, we may not like it, but it is for our own security. I ship a lot of products from my business, grit my teeth a lot and then do as they ask. Who knows, if I were a terrorist, I might put some decorations on the outside of my box to make it look unsuspicious. Hey, I agree with Diane but rules are rules and they affect us all. I'm sad for the little girl though that her cookies didn't make it to her grandparents. What a great gift that would have been for them, the best cookies of their lives made with love! And speaking of security, if it hadn't been me, I would have laughed at them rubbing a 60-year-old woman and her walker down with explosive detecting paper. The feel I got from security coming home was much nicer!!!!! They're just trying to protect us from our own stupidity I guess.

jgragg 6 years, 1 month ago

You should see what I have to do to send cookies to my husband in Iraq : )

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Ah yes, the old exploding snickerdoodle trick. Sugar everywhere, and the surface burns from the cinnamon, horrendous. So many still recovering from last years bombings. =O Poor girl,all that trouble. At least she'll have a great story to tell the rest of her life. Let's hope this is the most awful thing she ever has to tell.

Ragingbear 6 years, 1 month ago

The dreaded cookie bomb is a very real threat.