Archive for Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hemenway: Tuition will increase no more than 6 percent

Regents not interested in setting cap

February 13, 2008, 4:20 p.m. Updated February 13, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

— Kansas University Chancellor Robert Hemenway today pledged to bring KU's tuition increase for next year in under less than 6 percent.

The pledge came after the Kansas Board of Regents failed to set a cap on the amount of tuition increases for all six state universities.

Regents did, however, leave the impression they would reject any increase of more than 6 percent.

Comments

gccs14r 7 years, 5 months ago

How about if we get rid of the duplicated executive positions at the Regents universities, opting instead to have one university system with multiple campuses? Getting rid of five Chancellors and their staffs would go a long way toward holding the line on tuition.

toefungus 7 years, 5 months ago

The plan is to make sure the poor people of Kansas will not be going to KU or KSU. The constantly raising rates, higher than inflation, will one day reduce higher education to the elites of our society. An American caste system in the making. Education for all will be remembered only in historical references.

chemegirlie 7 years, 5 months ago

My bill (tuition only) Fall 2003: $1,645.70 for 14 credit hours Fall 2007: $2532.40 for 13 credit hours

That is a jump from $117.55 to $194.80 per credit hour in 4 years---a 66% increase, or an average of 17% per year.

This doesn't include that the campus fees have risen from $287.00 to $377.75 or that my differential engineering tuition has gone from $15 to $34.45 per credit hour.

Richard Boyd 7 years, 5 months ago

When I started at KU in 2000, the university was proudly listed in the Fiske Guide as a "best buy"; I do not understand what is fundamentally "wrong" with such a ranking. Indeed this really mirrors the practical and traditional "value-minded" Midwestern sensibilities, a good school reasonably priced, the problem of course it is still "just" a good school but is not longer a "best buy".

From my perceptions NO justifiable amount of money would ever entice some "either coast" researcher here. Fair or not this is Kansas and not Cambridge MA. We will NEVER be an east or west coast school no matter how high our tuition goes. We will never be Stanford or MIT (nor frankly would I want to be), but what we can do is price "regular" Kansans out of a solid but economical education.

I think we need to be cautious as to what balance we strike. I think raising the admissions standards from "automatic" to Kansas High School graduates was reasonable. (Although it seems odd to then turn around and give "priority recruitment" to students who are unable to meet the new admission standards... another discussion another time)

kustudent123 7 years, 5 months ago

My tuition bill for Fall 2005 15 hours: $2412 Tuition for Fall 2007 15 hours: $2922

That's an increase of 21% in 2 years!

My engineering tuition has gone up 10% on top of that. And campus fees have gone up 28% on top of that

ALL IN 2 YEARS!!!!!

Shouldn't education rates increase at inflation rates...not five times that? This is rediculous. These numbers don't even include room and board, food, books, supplies, etc.