Letters to the Editor

Tax needed

February 2, 2008

To the editor:

I commend the school board for suggesting a tax increase to pay for, among other things, a raise in teacher salary. The budget is as lean as it's going to get. If we are to make long-term, sustainable gains in our schools, we must address the low salaries of teachers. The school board has made a responsible suggestion. Thank you.

Mini Kaur,

Lawrence

Comments

busymom 6 years, 10 months ago

I would agree that this tax raise is needed on the condition it will in fact just go to teachers salaries. Will all teachers in Lawrence receive the raise or just some? How many teachers are there in Lawrence and is 680,000 enough to give each of them a decent raise plus have left over funds for the other things the board wants the money for?

KS 6 years, 10 months ago

Mini - Send them your check. I am sure they will cash it.

LogicMan 6 years, 10 months ago

"The budget is as lean as it's going to get."

No, it is not. We are heading into a weak economic period, and tax collections will likely fall noticeably. The Board, and all other (quasi-)government agencies need to start tightening their belts now. Follow the example of the City Manager, and just say no.

Vote NO, and help all your friends get to the polls to vote NO as well.

mick 6 years, 10 months ago

I guarantee you that if you give teachers a 50% raise within two years it will be the same old song and dance, "we are underpaid."

toefungus 6 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence Followship. Please refer to the indoctrination program with the descriptive name. Mostly people with a strong need to be liked need apply.

volunteer 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm a bit annoyed at the Board for calling for this tax increase election. I believe it was a split vote, 5-2. This indicates to me that the money is more a "want" than a "need."

Eileen Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

Of course the schools need money, but there are other issues.

No Child Left Behind is a huge waste and should be abolished. A lot of money is wasted there.

The city needs to quite giving money away to developers because the tax base just isn't there. That money could go to the schools and would be better spent.

We need to get some commissioners back in office who care about Lawrence - the city - and its people, and who will work for them.

BigPrune 6 years, 10 months ago

Frankly, I'd love to have a job where I got 3 months of paid vacation every year, but I digress. The school administration is spending $2.4 million on landscaping because of the bond everyone voted in. At least we got a new Jr. High designed like a cross between Cell Block C and Oak Park Mall. I really like the garage doors for every classroom. REAL classy, and I'm sure much cheaper than a 3 X 7 door.

boltzmann 6 years, 10 months ago

Big Prune says: "Frankly, I'd love to have a job where I got 3 months of paid vacation every year, but I digress"

Before you spout your ignorance again, remember teachers get paid for 9 months and not for the summer unless they take on summer duties - they do not get 3 months paid vacation. I will repeat it because I see this uninformed line here all the time and I have to conclude that some people are just too damn dense or stupid to get it - or maybe they just hate teachers.Teachers do not get 3 months paid vacation! Some teachers opt to have their 9 month pay spread over 12 months, but this is an option to help with budgeting - it does not mean that they get paid.

BigPrune 6 years, 10 months ago

So if you divide $36,000 a year over 9 months, they make $4,000 per month. If divided by 12 it equals $3000 per month. If you consider 40 hours per week and days off for national holidays and the recent high teacher absence article, they don't have it so bad, now do they?