Archive for Sunday, December 28, 2008

Act of kindness

December 28, 2008

To the editor:

I took a fall on my driveway getting my trash down for pickup the next day. It was dry near the top, and I thought it was just wet further down as the temperature was still above freezing. So when I hit the ice, the trash took itself and me down the driveway. As I was trying to crawl back up it, figuring I made a pretty ridiculous sight, two lovely young women stopped to help me. They got me to the top and back on my feet. They even righted my heavy trash container.

Thanks to those two women who stopped to help someone in trouble, I realize how truly helpful people can be. There’s no way I could thank them enough for their assistance. I’m not sure how I would have done it without their help. I can only hope they know how much I appreciate their kindness.

Sharon Aikins,
Lawrence

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 8 months ago

Why is it that the letters which are positive seldom get a comment? I was astounded at the comments about the homeless man who has found his way home. That they were in his favor, that is to say. We in Lawrence do live in a kind and generous place. That doesn't mean we should get complacent about it.Thank you Sharon for sharing with us.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 8 months ago

I have a faint recollection of an anthropological snippet documenting the fall of an elderly woman from some height, only then to draw the ridicule of young males, as she lie broken, below... a testament to the decline of the culture under study.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 8 months ago

"... as she lay broken..."( That Py is going to haunt me to my dying day... 'til my dying day.... )

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

Leslie, you're new here, so don't expect to have seen everything. People often make positive and negative comments on these types of letters.

kansasplains 6 years, 8 months ago

I know this has been said many, many times - but if only each person would do one act of kindness a day it would make a huge difference in this world. I am thinking especially of people, who instead of sitting inside and-for example-watching television, would get out into the community and make new friends, meet new kinds of people.

jaywalker 6 years, 8 months ago

Smiles and kindness are contagious.Character is what you do when noone's looking or noone knows your name.Sincere appreciation for these kind girls.

womanwarrior 6 years, 8 months ago

And I'm glad LJW keeps publishing letters like this. It makes people think the next time they are in a situation when they can someone. Instead of wondering if they should help, they remember that someone in the past helped, and now it's their turn.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 8 months ago

Guys, no need to fight over me. And, please, call me Cleo. I hate Leslie which is why I changed it. I moved to Lawrence in 1973, but I have only been posting for a short time. I am surprised, mystified, shocked and sometimes pleased by what I read. I appreciate the comment from Confrontation as now and then I feel attacked by someone. I think he/or she/ was just trying to make me realize that this happens to everyone who posts. I have also lived in the Salvation Army shelter, back in the day when the women slept on mats on the dining room floor next to the fridge. So, I have been exposed to the good, the bad and the ugly.But, I really like it when someone responds to what I write. I am beginning to feel at home here. edjayhawk you are so right. I am a major news junkie and I have MSNBC on the tv as I am reading the paper. I try to read everything until the comments get to two hundred or so.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 8 months ago

Why is everyone so quiet? Was it something I wrote? If so, sorry.

begin60 6 years, 8 months ago

It's nice that some lucky few in Lawrence run into those who truly have something valuable to contribute. My experience here has been exactly the opposite. I seem to be in town mainly to absorb the brunt of the local less than enlightened ignorance.Please remember, people, your freedom rightfully ends where my nose begins. If you are trampling legally protected privacies in the name of being "helpful" please reconsider how you approach strangers. Don't feel so entitled to express prejudice as a way of making contact with your fellows. It's obviously offensive to pre-judge others who've you've never met based on a single, legallyprotected trait. You must be verging on developmentallydisabled to ignore the enormous intellectual and creativestrengths of advanced KU students and teachers in favor of seeing yourself as a hero who can assist them-- and thus treating them as second-class persons who cannot manage independently. Have they not managed fine without you for their entire previous life? Pleaseput a lid on your shameful, illegal, provincial prejudices and discrimination and allow others to freely enjoy public space without being treated in such a patronizing, insulting manner.Learn the wisdom of minding your own businees, since apparently you've been impropering raised up to regardinterfering with strangers as a virtue. You believe others owe you a debt of gratitude for your so-called "helping" when anyone who has been around the block once realizes the damage that can easily be inflicted by meddlers withbad judgment. In offering strangers help how often areyou actually expressing unconscionable prejudice? Please examine your conscience and stop getting so personal andoverly bumptious and presunptious and busybody and haughty with your "helpful" attitudes.