Archive for Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Cancer survivor’s foundation delivers holiday cheer, support

Cindy Sargent, who started the Catch a Break Foundation, left, visits with Chloe Payne, 69, Lawrence, a breast cancer survivor, in Payne’s house recently. Catch a Break was started last year by Sargent, a breast cancer survivor. She collects donations and adopts families with cancer survivors during Christmas. Sargent was delivering some gifts to the Payne family.

December 23, 2008

New foundation spreading joy for cancer survivors

A new charity is all about helping breast cancer survivors catch a break over the holiday season. Enlarge video

Chloe Ann Payne is a survivor. She’s had bladder cancer and a cyst in her breast.

“The doctor told me I’d be in the hospital more than I’d be out,” the 69-year-old Lawrence resident said.

She told doctors just to remove her breasts.

But that cyst led to some of Payne’s holiday cheer this year. Her family members — including her husband, Joe, and her dog, Baby — were adopted by the Catch A Break Foundation.

“Breast cancer takes a toll on you financially, and that’s why we started it,” said founder Cindy Sargent, a breast cancer survivor. Last year was the first she organized an adopt-a-family program. And this year, she received so many more monetary donations that she established the foundation. People who want to help can either donate to the foundation or volunteer to adopt a family.

“It’s really nice. Real nice,” Payne said. “I loved (the gifts). I appreciate it.”

Payne received some pajamas and slippers, along with a gift for her husband and bones for Baby.

“She’s spoiled rotten,” Payne said of her 11-year old dog.

Sargent also gave Payne gift cards to Dillons and Wal-Mart to help with anything the family might need.

For Payne, that’s medication.

“My Social Security takes care of some of it and then my medicine, that’s what’s kind of expensive,” she said. “For only four prescriptions, it cost me $395.”

The smile on Payne’s face while opening her gifts is the reason Sargent is happy to help families of breast cancer survivors.

“There are some families that are in the position of whether or not they can afford a holiday dinner, whether or not they can afford gifts for their children.”

And the financial difficulties are lasting.

“It’s not something you get over in a month,” Sargent said. “Cancer is something you have to fight for the rest of your life.”

Catch A Break reached outside of Lawrence this year and adopted families in Osawatomie, Ottawa and Olathe.

“We definitely branched out,” she said.

Payne loves Christmas, and her favorite part about the holiday season is simply “being alive.” And to her, meeting Sargent was a blessing.

“Cindy, she’s something else. She’s a good person,” Payne said.

Sargent arranged adoptions for 10 families this year, up from six last holiday season.

Some funds still remain for adoptions this year. For more information about Catch A Break and family adoptions, send an e-mail to Sargent at sargcan@sbcglobal.net.

Comments

redmoonrising 6 years ago

Thank you Cindy Sargent for your good work and selflessness. Cancer survivors often slip through the cracks when it comes to needing help and hope. You bring them a bit of both.As an ovarian cancer survivor, I can tell you it isn't cheap to have cancer. And that seems to often lead to other health issues. Those too young for Medicare are in even more serious financial trouble. No one wants to offer you health insurance or only at outrageous prices. I'm lucky right now, I'm in a special study that makes my health care affordable but only for a few more months. After that, I'm on my own, with prescription costs of around $500/month. I won't be able to pay the approximately $20,000 per year it would cost me for insurance, deductibles, copays and items not covered by that insurance. And I'm not as bad off as a lot of survivors. I hope this article will help some readers remember those with cancer or other diseases who might need a little help or even just a visit at this time of year.

yellowhouse 6 years ago

We have been helping Cindys foundation, and also we are helping some homeless familys and a homeless teenager. If you have food, blankets, spaceheater, gift cards etc. you would like to donate, please drop them off at our store.thanks!Yellow House1904 massachusettslawrence, ks 785-842-2785

Linda Aikins 6 years ago

Very nice! Instead of feeling sorry for herself about her cancer, Cindy turned it around and got out and started this incredible tradition. She makes it about others and not herself. Now THAT is a hero. All survivors (and non-survivors) should support this cause, if you truly know how bad it can be. Become a hero yourself!

cindysargent1 6 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comment. Thank you Guy for the delivery and support. We would love to see this become a year round program so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are also looking for some legal advise to reach 501 status, so if you are willing to donate time to help with that, please contact me.Finally, if you are a survivor don't struggle alone. It is okay to ask for help. We just want to help you "Catch a Break."

mmiller 6 years ago

Yes, this was a very nice article. My grandmother is currently going through chemo treatment. She was diagnosed with Non-hodgkin lymphoma in October and is on her 5th round of chemo. This has been an extremely difficult experience for her. Besides the hair, fatigue and appetite issues, she hasn't experienced any other complications. In an effort to boost her spirits, I remind her to focus on the fact that she hasn't and won't experience other complications. I also tell her that she is not alone, and that we, her family and friends, are with her through this difficult journey. Today, Tuesday, we are supposed to here the results of her scans and blood work. Please pray for positive results and for my grandma's recovery. For those plowing through this difficult journey: Remain positive and never lose HOPE. May god bless you all and those families affected by Cancer.

miniflavors 6 years ago

Catch A Break Foundation sounds like a wonderful foundation to help out with. Merril in the morning on the LAZER is a great help for getting the message out to others in helping also. I hope we can have a change drive next year when they have Bras across the kaw....... Changing things a few cents at a time...... Maybe we can do this for families of cancer survivers for next christmas. I know this goes on all year and help is needed all YEAR as well...........Lets all help ......I know I will....Thanks so much Cindy....for all your help.A 2 time cancer survivor of 23 yearsLove ya allPokieMGM

cindysargent1 6 years ago

Anyone who wants to donate can do so by contacting me at my email address or sending to 1901 New Hampshires Lawrence 66046.Thanks for all your kind words and lets help more families in 2009.

Christine Anderson 6 years ago

Cancer is the cruelest of all diseases, I think. Lost a sister to breast cancer last summer. She was only 45.