Archive for Sunday, December 21, 2008

Water line break damages Hashinger Hall rooms

Ice hangs off an outside window ledge at Hashinger Hall at Kansas University. A broken sprinkler head flooded several rooms in the residence hall early Sunday morning.

December 21, 2008, 5:40 a.m. Updated December 21, 2008, 10:00 p.m.

Water line break floods Hashinger Hall

Water from a broken sprinkler head caused "extensive" damage to Hashinger Hall early Sunday morning. Water flowed from the sixth floor to the first floor of the residence hall. Enlarge video

Water line break damages Hashinger Hall rooms

A KU residence hall is getting mopped up after a broken sprinkler head floods 15 rooms early Sunday morning. Enlarge video

A broken sprinkler head caused water to flood 15 resident rooms in Hashinger Hall early Sunday morning.

The rooms affected were adjacent to the elevators on the fourth, fifth and sixth floors. Kansas University spokeswoman Jill Jess said damage to the rooms was minimal.

“The things that were on the floors in the rooms might have gotten wet, but that’s about it,” Jess said.

The dorms closed Friday for winter break. A few staff members were still living in the building.

Jess said the housing department was replacing the carpet in the affected rooms, and that the work should be done by the time the residence halls reopen on Jan. 12.

“Nothing was destroyed and we’re working to make sure that everything’s ready when they get back,” Jess said. “We anticipate no problem having Hashinger ready to go in plenty of time for that move-in date.”

KU dispatchers reported that 42 “trouble alarms” began going off in the building just after 4 a.m. Sunday. The system went haywire due to water leaking through the ceiling, said Sgt. Troy Mailen of KU’s Public Safety Office.

Firefighters began cleaning up with water with floor squeegees around 4:45 a.m.

Officials with the student housing department showed up to the scene immediately and began to assist with the clean-up. They also contacted the affected students.

“They got to work immediately notifying students whose rooms were affected, just to make sure that they didn’t worry while they were on break and that they understood that things were being taken care of for them,” Jess said.

Jess said other students with questions can contact the housing department starting today at 864-4560.

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

cg.Anything else you may have heard about was most likely greatly exaggerated.

Chris Golledge 5 years, 3 months ago

RI,Dude, I heard about your motorcycle. 7th 83-845th 84-85

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

Hash was a diverse community within it's self, or at least used to be. Lots of good people.One winter I rolled my motorcycle through the lobby,on to an elevator, and rebuilt the engine in the woodworking shop. I'm pretty sure no one else used that room or the equipment either. It was like having my own personal workshop.

Nikki May 5 years, 3 months ago

Weird so many Hashies on here. I lived there for the 92-93 school year (third floor, ground level). Our days were boys on the north and girls on the south. First floor was only a couple of rooms and guys only down there. Anyway, we ate our meals on 2nd except for on the weekends. I thought it was sad that they switched to only eating at Lewis. Meal time was like a giant family meal in our days. But, with all these renovations, it seems even sadder. Oh, we got cable the year I lived there though.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 3 months ago

7th floor '82-'83. 4th floor '83-'84.I used to play in a band at Sneaky Pete's (Unexpected Guests). The Gourmet Kitchen was great (now gone). Carpeted floors? That's too much coddling. Good memories. Fun place. Met a lot of good people there.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

5th floor, '83,'84.Sneaky Petes died? No more dorm plays in the theater?No more darkroom? No more woodshop? No more gourmet kitchen?The weight room next to the library was brand new that year if I recall.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 3 months ago

"Jess said the housing department was replacing the carpet in the affected rooms,"Carpet??? What happened to the cold tile floors? The ones that you covered with either carpet squares or remnants from Bud Jennings? Yeah, I know. Renovation and all that rot.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 3 months ago

What?? No more Sneaky Pete's? Incredible.Back in the day, we paid $100 extra dollars per year to live in Hashinger Hall, the Residence Center for the Creative Arts. At least I think it was $100 extra; it may have been more than that, but not by much. My parents thought it was money well spent. I loved the fact that I didn't have to schlep back down to Murphy at night to practice. My friends and I would often reserve the Gourmet Kitchen on Fridays for a party.

terrapin2 5 years, 3 months ago

"It's interesting that Hash's pipes are relatively new.." I'm still laughing at that double entendre! It made me think of Weezer's song "Hash Pipe"!It's so good to read many more fond memories of Hash Hall! I was in the last room on the left, at the North end of the 3rd floor for the 87-88 year. What great memories! And so many long-lasting friendships that were born there as well! After all, it was the hippest dorm at KU when I lived there (if it's possible for a dorm to be hip). I especially liked the odd mix of musicians, theater students, jugglers, artists, neo-hippies, and the few punk-rockers like myself! I can personally attest to some of the crazy stuff that we did when I lived there! But I won't here! I'm sure a lot of the same stuff goes on there now, only we didn't videotape our shenanigans and post it on our MySpace or Facebook web-page! :-) After seeing the kids today on campus it's hard to believe we ever survived dorm life without cell phones, iPods, laptops, flat-panel TVs, X-boxes/PS3s, or the Internet!!! I work on campus and go by Hash all the time but I still haven't stepped inside yet to see what it looks like after the renovation. I guess part of me prefers to remember it the way it was. Like how I met my future girlfriend for the first time in the front lobby. Me being the guy with the munchies, dipping my Fritos into a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter! And her being the cute little punk-rock chick giggling at me with her roommate! Good times! Good times! There was something very special about being able to roll out of your bunk-bed, throw on some clothes, step into your Birkenstocks, grab your backpack, and walk out the front door to get one of the old green buses which would take you to class! Although sometimes barely! I was recently telling some current students about how some of us would have to get off the bus at the bottom of the hill below the Jayhawk Bookstore just so the bus could make it up the hill! And then the driver would wait for us to walk up the hill so we could all pile back on again! Fortunately the newer buses are more powerful, and without the ground-level smoke-bombs of exhaust that used to spew out of those old buses!

overthemoon 5 years, 3 months ago

Former Hashie here. All of the special studios in each lobby are gone, no dance floor to soak. It just isn't what it used to be. I was there years (a lot of them!) ago when Hash was really a fine arts dorm. It was great. Now my kid lives there and its just a bunch of rooms...not much of a real community at all. And the Sneaky Pete tradition is sadly just history.

jackbinkelman 5 years, 3 months ago

“The things that were on the floors in the rooms might have gotten wet, but that’s about it,” Of the majority of dorm rooms I've visited, the contents of the entire room was usually strewn wildly on the floor.

theatre_fan 5 years, 3 months ago

yeah, i was thinking of the floor in the dance studio. plus, all the pianos are on the first floor. i am wondering how much water collected down there.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 3 months ago

Hash has eight floors. When I lived there, men lived on 3, 4, and 5 (with a few down on 1) and the ladies lived on 6, 7, and 8. The lobby on each floor had a special 'function'. 8 was the study lobby. 7 had drawing tables. 5 & 6 were the TV lobbies. The dance floor was on 4. 3 had the theater and was the level you entered on. Cafeteria was on 2, along with the gourmet kitchen and the library, laundry, too, I think. 1st floor had practice rooms, weight room, dark room.Wow, those were the days.

Mari Aubuchon 5 years, 3 months ago

Just how many former residents of Hash are on here? (6th floor; 85-86)There is a seventh floor at Hash, but it still seems possible that freezing was the cause of this mess.

Newell_Post 5 years, 3 months ago

I'll bet SRJ is right considering the recent temperatures. The same thing happened at Watson Library some years ago -- frozen sprinkler pipes. I used to live at Hashinger many, many years ago. Isn't the 6th floor the top floor? Probably pipes in the ceiling plenum near the roof froze. You gotta leave the heat on, KU!

not_so_greek 5 years, 3 months ago

Remodeling included fire sprinklers which involves sprinkler heads. Sprinkler heads are mechanical, and can and do malfunction or freeze. Malfunctions occur when nobody is around. Freezing pipes also occur when nobody is around. Especially in voids in ceilings and walls where the cold can infiltrate, and when the heat has been reduced a scootch to save on utilities for a few weeks.

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

jonas~ That's just too excruciating to imagine! terrapin~ Yeah, I wondered if the private ownership had anything to do with it, but discounted that idea. I figured that, obviously, the management wasn't going to publicize it, but with dozens of texting & phoning kids (such as mine) standing around broadcasting the news, and with the police/fire report being public record, the publicity would've taken care of itself--if the incident had been more serious. You may be right, though--that could have something to do with it. Whatever the case, I'm just glad it wasn't serious and that no one suffered any ill effects. It's interesting that Hash's pipes are relatively new. Maybe that's the problem, then--they don't make 'em like they used to!

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

Well, if it makes anybody feel better, when I was in the dorm in Beijing one of my friends there was subjected to a much more unfortunate leak: a sewage pipe leak, into his room. More unfortunate, he and his roommate were in the room when this occurred. At least they managed to save the computer, but he had to pretty much replace his wardrobe. /from a broken ceiling pipe, not from the floor

terrapin2 5 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket,Naismith is privately owned, unlike the rest of the KU dorms, so it doesn't surprise me that any mechanical issues at Naismith didn't make the news. No pun intended, but that's what they call "damage control".I lived at Hash hall many years ago too, but as someone else pointed out, Hash was completely renovated just a few years ago so there's very little chance of aging water pipes being the culprit.

awhatha 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure that housing gets none of their money from the state. They get it ALL from the housing contracts of their residents.

Al Deathe 5 years, 3 months ago

Wonder how many millons of dollars KU will ask the state taxpayers to pay for the repairs. The first words out of KU's mouth will be "we don't have the money to pay for repairs".

theatre_fan 5 years, 3 months ago

hash was remodeled a few years ago, so i would assume the pipes are new.

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

Interesting--they evacuated Naismith the other night for what they first thought was a fire but turned out to be water break, and I haven't seen any news about that. They let everybody back in the same night, so it might not have reached "news threshold." Apparently, at that one (third-hand info, so maybe not totally accurate??), a water line broke and the water sprayed on/into a furnace, causing clouds of steam--but there was so much grime in it that the steam appeared to be smoke; hence the initial belief that there was a fire. I wonder if all the infrastructure up there is just so old that instances like these will become a common occurrence.On the other hand, Introversion may have the real reason pegged--if so, we're probably going to read about even more of these self-cleaning residence hall incidents! ;-)

theatre_fan 5 years, 3 months ago

As a former Hashie, I am concerned about the portrait of Maggie. She meant an awful lot to a lot of people.

kansasdaughter 5 years, 3 months ago

xbusguy,you want to hear comments about the sprinkler head breakage from custodians and cooks?

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

My first thought is KU "saved money" by lowering (or turning off) the heat in unused buildings, and guess what! A pipe froze and exploded.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 3 months ago

KU Housing employees at Hashinger Hall declined to comment.=======================Wonder why ????

introversion 5 years, 3 months ago

After some of the things I did when I lived there, I bet the building was just trying to wash itself of the sins....

cheeseburger 5 years, 3 months ago

Keep your day job, geek. I don't think the ministry is ready for the likes of you!

stanggirl 5 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know if they are going to allow people to get into their rooms to access the damage? Or is there any contact information available for current residents?

geekin_topekan 5 years, 3 months ago

I prophecy many lawsuits and bogus insurance claims.Verily I minister this and grace thine ears.