Archive for Friday, December 19, 2008

Cow on the loose gets away from Douglas County sheriff’s deputies

Douglas County officers responded to bovine breakaway this afternoon. The cow chase took place near O'Malley beverage north of I-70.

December 19, 2008

The cow got away.

Two Douglas County sheriff’s deputies spent a portion of their Friday shift unsuccessfully trying to catch a loose cow.

The cow chase — which involved multiple law enforcement agencies — took place near North 1770 Road and East 1300 Road, east of O’Malley Beverage of Kansas Inc., north of Interstate 70, said Douglas County Sheriff’s Sgt. Steve Lewis.

At one point, officers tried to lure the cow to them with a bucket, hoping it would think there was food inside.

“They were not able to corral it,” Lewis said.

He said chasing down loose cattle isn’t a regular occurrence for deputies and it’s even more uncommon for cows to get away from officers.

But, deputies are interested in corralling loose cattle because unrestrained cows can cause concern for the safety of highways, Lewis said.

Comments

Bassetlover 6 years, 6 months ago

Wonder if the bovine will be issued a mooooooving violation?

Aisling 6 years, 6 months ago

Wonder if the bovine will be issued a mooooooving violation....oh I just love a good pun...or even a bad pun.

jehovah_bob 6 years, 6 months ago

"Cow of the loose gets away from Douglas County sheriff’s deputies"The Loose tribe: A small and relatively unknown band of indiginous people living on the outskirts of North Lawrence. Known to keep cattle for pets as they are strict vegetarians, subsisting on roots, berries, and natural fibers. Known for their creative fashion sense and their poor hygiene, and their aversion to work, war, and big box stores it is a wonder in and of itself that they continue to thrive in the modern world. It should also be noted that they like to spin.

persevering_gal 6 years, 6 months ago

This is UTTER nonsense!!!! Let the cows cross the highway to get a drink and let them moooove on. I know I would need a drink if I were out in this weather all day!

doublehockeysticks 6 years, 6 months ago

I love that this is the top story in Lawrence

LogicMan 6 years, 6 months ago

"I love that this is the top story in Lawrence"If the LJW Editor has a good sense of humor, he/she will make it the top-of-the-front page headline/photo in tomorrow's printed LJW.

Judgesmails 6 years, 6 months ago

'Confrontation' escaped ?____"there are some bad sidewalks uncleaned out there. very dangerous."- Quit crying. Shovel them yourself if youre so concerned

jackpot 6 years, 6 months ago

Did the cow slip out of the hoofcuffs?

4chewnut 6 years, 6 months ago

Will the cow end up in the 'patty wagon'?

KansasGirl82 6 years, 6 months ago

This made my day! I love all the jokes. Lets hope they caught the cow though!

jehovah_bob 6 years, 6 months ago

I guess he wasn't missing his bukkit.If the editor had a good sense of humor, he would have sped up the video and dubbed it with the Benny Hill theme song.

domino 6 years, 6 months ago

persevering - I believe you ment to say that it is "udder" nonsense!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

actually DGCO sherrif's have a lot of experience catching strays, just this was the one that got away. but what were they thinking...a bucket, it was probably outa the back of a Sherrifs' vehicle, smelled of tires and flares. can't fool that cow"get along little dogie. get along little dogie, get along"and, where are the rodeo clowns when you really need 'em?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

The sun is sinking in the westThe cattle go down to the streamThe redwing settles in the nestIt's time for a cowboy to dreamPurple light in the canyonsThat's where I long to beWith my three good companionsJust my rifle, pony and meGonna hang (gonna hang) my sombrero (my sombrero)On the limb (on the limb) of a tree (of a tree)Comin' home (comin' home) sweetheart darlin' (sweetheart darlin')Just my rifle, pony and meJust my rifle, my pony and me(Whippoorwill in the willowSings a sweet melodyRiding to Amarillo)Just my rifle, pony and meNo more cows (no more cows) to be ropened (to be ropened)No more strays will I seeRound the bend (round the bend) she'll be waitin' (she'll be waitin')For my rifle, pony and meFor my rifle, my pony and me

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

The cattle are prowlin' and the coyotes are howlin'Way out where the dogies bawlWhere spurs are a-jinglin' a cowboy is singin'This lonesome cattle callWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hooWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hooWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hoo hooWoo-hoo woo-hoo hooHe rides in the sun, till his day's work is doneAs he rounds up the cattle each fallWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hooSingin' his cattle callFor hours he will ride on the range far and wideWhen the night wind blows up a squallHis heart is a feather in all kinds of weatherHe sings his cattle callWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hooWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hooWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hoo hooWoo-hoo woo-hoo hooHe's brown as a berry from ridin' the prairieAnd sings with an ol' western drawlWoo-hoo woo-hoo hoo hooSingin' his cattle call---you see, all they had to do was ... yodel!

leadstone 6 years, 6 months ago

Stories like these haunt me wherever I go. People still think we roll around in covered wagons in some places. I don't know about you guys, but I have never actually kicked S#%t. At least write that they caught the cow. Multiple agencies could not corral the cow. So not only are we dumb, Kansas cow-folk, now it looks like the cows are smarter than we are. PS- It's never to cold to grill. Nothing like T-bones and BBQ sauce popsicles.

tollef 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand why some of you have a beef with this being the top story. I guess it is because many of the posters on here suffer from mad cow themselves. The cow did not run away from the bucket because it was empty, but because he remembers the old McDonalds commercial "get a bucket and mop"

tollef 6 years, 6 months ago

LJW- Milk this story for all its worth.

introversion 6 years, 6 months ago

Man, didn't they know that if they'd just shot it, it would've stopped trying to get away from them?

KansasGirl82 6 years, 6 months ago

Thats not a cow, thats my brothers ex-wife!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

oooooooooooooooOkay kansasgirl! did she attend ksu?**leadstone, I think you'd have a better attitude if you had some shtkickin' and rodeoin' in your experience base. sure, people on the left coast think this way about us, but hey, it keeps a lot of them from coming here! besides, the article made the point, this is the one that got away. and truly the DGCO Sherif's do a pretty good job with livestock. lot of those who's opinions you're worried about are vegans anyway. you think with your education you could do better than the officers? I might've, but then I raised a steer when I was a kid.

lawthing 6 years, 6 months ago

Camera guy seems to be fixated kinda low on that dar sherriff gal!

cowboy 6 years, 6 months ago

I heard they swallowed all the grass when the deputies tried top pull em over

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

I heard they swallowed all the grass when the deputies tried top pull em over---LMAO! it occurred to me, don't deputies have rope in their trunks?! really, just rope that dogie, or call a cowboy if you can't. of course, there's nothing like "a ton of angry potroast" coming at you. apparently the cameraman just likes women in uniforms, and the cow doesn't. and, did the ljworld cameraman just happen to be there, or did he catch the incident on the ljworld's scanner, then rushed out to catch video of the action live?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

even tonight's 6news broadcast at 10p.m. fails to update the story. the rogue cow is still loose, despoiling the countryside, randomly pooping, scaring small animals, and generally making a nuissance of herself.it is worth noting: in the story they call this beast a "cow," but is it? it might be a steer? heck, could it be a bull? I expect that with sunup the cameraman will join the hunt for this lost "cow," so that we all may sleep better in our homes. in fact, using modern technology, I demand an investigation: why didn't the cameraman put a wireless camera on that cow to help track him/her/it? we want to know.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

oh sure. cows' gotta go when cows' gotta go! as far as my personal experience, a bucket of grain isn't that great for attracting a "cow" or changing its moovements. usually a rope really is a good thing. yes, the DGCO deputies are great folks. maybe they did phone the ljworld.

labmonkey 6 years, 6 months ago

That next hamburger should be even tastier for the deputies. Moo, bitches.

hedshrinker 6 years, 6 months ago

When the Sale Barn was still on E 11th with every Sat sales, escaped livestock was pretty frequent around here, from feral chickens roosting in the trees all summer to hogs running down the street (or thru my yard one steamy summer Sunday am with 2 of Lawrence's finest in HOT pursuit on foot!!!!). Miss the entertainment and educational value of that place right here in the midst of town.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

oh yeah! HS, I used to live, 1300-block of NJ. was maybe 1989 had a steer chased right down the street! took lpd and animal control more than an hour to get that one. bet his sirloin tasted gooood. wasn't too often that bovines got outa the salebarn, but the smaller ones like you said, yes. they did. last I knew, there's just trash/junk where the salebarn used to be, kinda sad.

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago