Archive for Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Accident reported at turnpike roundabout

December 17, 2008

Safe driving tips

Here a few helpful tips on how to drive better and safer in wintry conditions. Enlarge video

Well, that didn’t last long.

On the same day that the Journal-World reported that no accidents had occurred on the new turnpike roundabout, the circular roadway’s first incident happened on a day when more than 3 inches of snow fell.

At 9:50 a.m., Kansas Turnpike Authority troopers responded to an accident on the ramp leading into town at the West Lawrence interchange.

Shawn Lynch, a 38-year-old man from Miramar, Fla., was driving a semitrailer, which was struck from behind by a 1997 Ford van driven by Lawrence resident James Harrell III, 25. The KTA report says both vehicles were exiting when Lynch slowed for a vehicle in the roundabout and was hit by Harrell’s van.

Lynch was able to drive his truck away. Harrell’s vehicle was towed. He refused medical treatment at the scene, according to a KTA dispatcher.

Comments

classclown 6 years, 4 months ago

Didn't take long. A lot of people around here saw this coming. I'm not against roundabouts really. They work pretty good as long as I don't get stuck behind an idiot that doesn't know how to use them. However, I think that was an absolutely stupid idea to put one there.I have a feeling this won't be the only accident at that roundabout.

gr 6 years, 4 months ago

Roundabouts send a welcome message to would be visitors. If you don't like it, keep on going. Don't stop at this town.

Kent Shrack 6 years, 4 months ago

Everyone should have a roundabout. I just can't afford one. I want to change my driveway so I have at least two. I don't know how we got along without them. Who cares how much they cost.

gccs14r 6 years, 4 months ago

My boss went though the KTA roundabout a few days ago coming from KC and said it wouldn't take much of a whoops to end up back on the Turnpike by accident. KTA screwed up.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 4 months ago

Seems to me the answer is additional funding to do a study on why this accident happened. Maybe they could raise the toll to fund such important work.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

Life is so confusing:I Park in my driveway; Drive on the Parkway, Always going straight on the Turnpike, and can't go around those roundabouts. Whats a guy a to think??

Angel Gillaspie 6 years, 4 months ago

the worst roundabout I've ever experienced is on highway 59 just south of Garnett (I think). You can see dozens of skid marks in & around it from all the semi-trailer trucks that are too big to get around it. I wonder if they'll think of some other type of structure to replace these someday - maybe it's just a fad? Probably not...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Nobody likes to drive on roundabouts. Nobody. The drivers hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you drive on roundabouts because your father wants you to. Then you drive on roundabouts to get the girls. If you keep on driving on roundabouts, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you drive on roundabouts for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch other people driving on roundabouts, and that's fun. But nobody likes to drive on roundabouts. Nobody.

Poon 6 years, 4 months ago

And the funny post of the day award goes to (drumroll please)...snap_pop_no_crackle @ 9:29.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm just adapting the immortal prose of andini....

texburgh 6 years, 4 months ago

Pywacket hit the nail on the head. People slow down entering the roundabout just as they did to make the hairpin turn that used to be at that exit. If you are following too closely, you just might rear end someone. And if you are following too closely in snow, you probably WILL rear end someone. It's not the roundabout - it's driving without thinking.

Confrontation 6 years, 4 months ago

Let's admit one thing: The biggest shock in this whole news story is that a semi truck driver would wait his turn! Maybe they're better with roundabouts than they are at obeying traffic signals at 23rd & Iowa. There, those morons never stop when their light is red. I've been stuck at that light at least 10 times when a semi driver decided to go ahead and turn on a red light. Of course, we've seen that none of them get punished, even when murdering a motorcycle driver.

BigPrune 6 years, 4 months ago

At least nobody went off the cliff area of the roundabout that doesn't have a guard rail.