Archive for Saturday, December 13, 2008

Helpful officers

December 13, 2008

To the editor:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank two outstanding police officers who went above and beyond the call of duty to help my brother and I. Late last night, we decided to make a quick run to grab a bite to eat. Unfortunately we ran out of gas about halfway to the restaurant. I began walking the six blocks to the nearest gas station in the bitter cold.

No sooner had I made it to the gas station than an officer pulled up and offered to give me a ride back to our vehicle. Both officers were extremely friendly and made sure our vehicle was in complete working order before we headed out. Personally I think Lawrence is very lucky to have officers such as these. I’m sorry that we did not catch your names, but please know that we truly appreciated your concern for our well-being.

David Barrett,
Lawrence

Comments

DouglasCountySucks 5 years, 4 months ago

Wow, I have to say Lawrence P D and Douglas Countys,, S O have got to be the best dept in the area. Great guys anytime i have talked with them or known any of them. Hats off to them all.I guess some that post have been written up a time or three maybe. Keep up the good work guys. Nudge ole S G T- Andy .T .a time or two for me.be safe.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

well,I see smitty has continued to highjack this thread! sad. and she cites some small-time, low-membership organization on the fringe; smitty forgot LEAP, too, another fringe organization, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. fringie group mostly in CA pro-pot. **back to original topic: good job officers. I have always had only positive and respectful interactions with LPD officers, including Officer McAtee! and at the time, he didn't offer to eat my liver or something. the lte at the top of this thread exemplifies the overwhelming majority of public experience with LPD officers. thank you.

wordstrength 5 years, 4 months ago

I wonder how many times "smitty" has been arrested...sure sounds like a petulant little kid to me. And with as much whining and complaining and citing of references as he does...he must be employed as a video game tester to have that much free time on his hands. Did you buy those video games at YH by chance? Because your terminal stupidity seems to have rubbed off on YH. And the only way to get vaccinated for your condition is to beg the wizard to give you a brain. Good luck with that. If you're as good a beggar as a bitcher, you'll do just fine.

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

JW..Chad Lawhorn..last January:Police leaders, though, sought to assure commissioners that police officers faced multiple levels of review. Mike McAtee, chairman of the Lawrence Police Officers Association, said officers faced administrative sanctions, criminal charges and civil lawsuits if they misused their power."I'm looking at five people right here," McAtee said to commissioners. "You are elected representatives of this community. We have a citizen review board, and it is sitting right here."Well yaaaaa!!! Why wouldn't an officer in the middle of an investigation look the city commissioners in the eye and say youin lieu of criminal charges are the review board. Rehab from the city manager's office by instruction of the commission in lieu of riminal charges, trial, rehab and the challenge/dropping of the federal drug cases that McAtee is the witness.Everyone is safer for hiding their heads in the place of choice? We need to have a bad boy clause in the city contracts and a change in city government. This one too easily abuses authority.

beobachter 5 years, 4 months ago

smitty, why don't you simply STFU. Your continual bitching and whining is getting old,

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

At times like this I have found the organizations of law enforcement officers are good to turn to for "the other side of the story." Education and objectivity from the abusing enforcement agency looks like the comments from the cop roaches that reply here. A major problem is that the FBI/feds are involved also. To what lengths do those who have the power go to keep a federal court case alive when the witnessing LE officer is busted (perhaps for more than the one on trial)? McAtee is the prime witness for several cases from Lawrence that are being prosecuted in federal court. A lot of time and work shot to h@!! for the lack of ethics and morality in our public service sector if the truth was known. Introducing Police Officers for Drug Law Reformhttp://www.november.org/razorwire/2003-01winter/podlr.html"Drug prohibition has made police corruption unavoidable and creates inherent incentives for police corruption. The economic incentive alone can make a good officer into a corrupt officer. Police credibility is another casualty of the War on Drugs; how can the police expect citizens to obey the law when the police themselves are partaking in illegal activities," asks Solano in an editorial.Dan J. Solano, PresidentPolice Officers for Drug Law Reform7092 Highland Rd, Box 265 · Waterford, MI 48327

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

Well bizarre, you certainly have an appropriate name!

Pudgy1 5 years, 4 months ago

it would be one thing if smitty/yellowhouse/and their kind would provide one shred of PROOF of the allegations they throw around so casually. Yet none is offered. it it looks like B.S. and if it smells like B.S. then what do you suppose it most likely IS?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

this thread, following the very nice expression of thanks in the LTE, exemplifies the saying: no good deed goes unpunished! good job officers. I have known you to be thoughtful and considerate on many occasions. I've met officer McAtee, and its amazing, he didn't breathe like Darth, or give any other signs of being on "the dark side."
Actually it would be very nice if aliens abducted smitty, yellowhouse and all their supporters and family members. Even better, it the aliens never returnedthem.wow, did Smitty try to highjack this thread! a highly developed race capable of building an interstellar ship to come here would be far too smart to snatch these folks, unless they especially wanted to probe them. you know, there's probably some cop conspiracy including those aliens anyway!

flyin_squirrel 5 years, 4 months ago

McAtee is one of the most honest officers I have ever met. I think you guys might want to lay off the drugs yourself....

Jim Phillips 5 years, 4 months ago

You really have to forgive smitty. He/she/it has a case of myopicrectaitis. That's where the optic nerve gets crossed with the anal nerve and gives one a "s[m]itty" outlook on life.

bizarre 5 years, 4 months ago

Boy major sensitivity going on here....did someone hit a jugular or something? Smitty is the only one making sense here to me.

Pudgy1 5 years, 4 months ago

I'll bet the same darned Feds who risked going to prison themselves, just to (allegedly) cover up for two LPD patrol officers and are now risking going to prison themselves, just to (allegedly) cover up for a LPD Detective. Get a clue Smitty! The feds are not going to cover for anyone as "low on the pole" as a local cop or detective. It just isn't gonig to happen. Not in the real world at least.

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, smitty, and the gov't was involved in 9/11 and there are black helicopters flying around monitoring people - - Oh look out - it might be you. Do you have tin foil on the windows @ vt towers?? Maybe you should.You have been beating this dead horse for "17 years" and just adding names to the "suspect list" as you go along. I have been here the entire time also, and somehow I don't see this huge conspiracy with feds, locals, and are you sure the CIA isn't invloved somehow? Oh wait, it must be the DEA since you say drugs are involved. I bet if we wait a month or so, it will be the CIA though, I am sure someone along the line had "secret" information and that is why McAtee is still on the job.Do US a favor - give it a rest.

triplegoddess13 5 years, 4 months ago

smitty-I think the main topic of this thread was to thank these officers and not to discuss your private agenda. That is if you wanted to stay on topic as you say you do.

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

It was the same collusion between the feds, city commissioners, city manager and on and on and on that occurred in the cover up of an LPD killing of a citizen some 17 years ago to garner a justifiable homicide for the offending officers.

beobachter 5 years, 4 months ago

smitty, can we get back to fact, nobody gives a damn about your hatred of LPD. See you gained support of yh, some accomplishment.

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

Can we get back to Mike Amyx's statement of personnel issues and the felonies McAtee committed that are covered up by the city and the feds so McAtee can qualify as a viable witness for the feds in court on drug charges Mcatee is to testify over?Just how many drug felonies will be dismissed if it is publically recognised that McAtee, a LPD officer, was stealing drugs and goods from the LPD evidence room and from Red Bud dealers to support his habit? The feds investigated and the feds, city, police chief, all are complicit with a cover up for McAtee and the city's image that would get each and every one of you sent up to Leavenworth if you are not a cop doing the crimes

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

Yes there are wonderful officers working for LPD. I have met some of them. But when things are not so wonderful, it would be nice to have a citizen review board to impartially monitor complaints.

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

Interesting, but when did YH bash cops?I dont see a single post here by YH that bashed a cop!And how do you know who the YH has to deal with.You are judgemental and assumptive.

Pywacket 5 years, 4 months ago

Amen, blue--but yh will continue to make an ass of herself no matter how many of us (and that's probably everyone in town minus their pathetic devoted child and one or two friends) indicate that we're tired of hearing that crap. YH is not smart enough to realize, after all this time, that the incessant cop bashing only makes her and her husband look more culpable. They just are not capable of zipping it.Glad to read a positive letter directed toward a couple of good public servants. Most cops are decent and honorable, just like most small business owners. It's always the one bad apple, in any barrel, that stinks everything up. Too bad bad apples can't detect their own stench and just go away. If that happened, we'd have one less fenced-goods store in town. Did I say that? I meant, of course, one less used-schlocky-crap store in town.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 4 months ago

i see things never change on here oh well all is well in lawrence.

blue73harley 5 years, 4 months ago

yellowhouse -sure your job is tough. So is mine. But it is not on par with having guns, knives and other implements of destruction pointed at you on a regular basis. You don't HAVE to deal with killers, child abusers, rapists, drunks, druggies, robbers etc.I have never posted anything negative about yellowhouse. But I do get tired of the cop bashing that occurs whenever anyone simply posts a kind word about LPD. That is my point.

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

I have lived in lawrence 20+ years now too.buying and selling second hand goods is a tough job!Most people who work full time would consider their job tough!so whats your point?

blue73harley 5 years, 4 months ago

I've lived in Lawrence for 30+ years now. I have had no problems with Dg. Co. or Lawrence cops. But that is probably because I have GIVEN them no problems.They have a tough job. I wouldn't want to do it. How about you?

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

Cleopatra you are very blessed to have never been in trouble with the police and to have never broke the law. You are also very blessed to have never been wrongly accused. Or had someone in your family falsley arrested or imprisoned as part of a cover-up.You are also very blessed to be able to still believe that there is no corruption in the Government, and that the police only go after the guilty.You are also very blessed to be able to still believe that police are above making mistakes.I wish I was as blessed as you!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

I have never had trouble with the police but then I don't break the law. If you do and get arrested who are you mad at? You because you did something illegal? No, the officer who arrested you! That is the nature of the police. They arrest people who break the law. Now do you get it? As for the aliens, I say show them some mercy and do not inflict these posters on them. Even the Ferengi do not deserve this.

bizarre 5 years, 4 months ago

So let me get this straight. Smitty and yellow house along with all their supporters and family need to be taken away by the aliens...............................and McAtee along with his supporters and family get to stay.......................because they are rehabed?

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

In other words...If McAtee were prosecuted according to the same laws as everyone else or even held viable at the same level as Peck, more cases on the federal court level would be thrown out due to McAtee's criminal behavior than what the frame up of Peck required in Dg Co.

Pudgy1 5 years, 4 months ago

Triplegoddess is my mom.YellowHouse is not.

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

14 December 2008 at 5:53 p.m. coolmom (Anonymous) says… so we all believe the drug dealers huh?*Yes the drug users and dealers are the ones that LE use as informers to testify in court as a witness in exchage for no sentence or a much leser sentence or a get out free card.Do an archive search on the Det Peck. He was working partenrs with McAtee when PEck was targeted for a frme up firing that protected McAtee and the informer. It was printed in the JW at the time there weere judges and attroneys on the informant's list but.....taaaadaaa......the judges and attroneys names never came out. McAtee continued his undercover work(not so, apparently). Could that have anything to do with McAtee's position to testify in federal court for these undercover drug prosecutions even though Mcatee is/was(only in rehab worked the ?first time) a drug user, rumorored? to be the evidence thief, and taking money and drugs from Red Bud dealers without a report filed and the money and drugs are gone? Peck was framed!!A drug user plus an informant was so powerful with viable information in the framing of Peck, the drug using attorneys and judges were close to being made public(feds are under suspect here too), and McAtee was left free to continue until this summer when the city buildings were bombarded with investigators. At that time the city commission and city manager(they couldn't have done it wwithout the co-operation of the feds). Per Mike Amyx when I asked about the investigation by higher LE agency:""The investigation s being handled through the city manager's office as a personnel issue"" That was when is was decided to send McAtee to rehab, nothing about Olin made public either.Once more, if McAtee wants to pursue a libel/slander against me, he is welcome to try like he has before when challened over his illegal behavior. A law suit just might expose the truth about the LPD and our city system that covers up the truth about LE criminal behavior.

triplegoddess13 5 years, 4 months ago

somebodynew-I wouldn't abduct you because you still owe me coffee.footballguy49-Did you stop to think that maybe Guardian is just trying to keep you from embarrassing yourself and others with your spreading of illicit rumors?

footballguy49 5 years, 4 months ago

Guardian why are you so defensive when someone post information about Mcatee??????????????????????

tumbilweed 5 years, 4 months ago

Three cats. One. Two. THree.Two of them are white.

footballguy49 5 years, 4 months ago

Somebody has to say what everybody knows but people are to scared to say because of police intimidation.

footballguy49 5 years, 4 months ago

Please do not have the aliens abduct the messenger’s

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh Lord, I am probably not to be heard from again!! TG13 wants me abducted. (Now if someone with the name of TG13 were to do the abduction, it might be interesting - don't like the prospect of aliens though, cause that could include smitty or yellowhouse.)

triplegoddess13 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm in favor of alien abduction for certain bloggers at this point.

beobachter 5 years, 4 months ago

actually it would be an act of mercy for all of us. lpd would probably award the aliens a medal.

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

aliens abducting the Smitty and the Yellowhouse would be an act of thievery.Then the aliens would be coconspirator fencers of smittys and yellowhouse peoples, and they would have their alien ship raided by the LPD, and well you know the rest.

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

Mr. beobachter that was very cold hearted.

beobachter 5 years, 4 months ago

Actually it would be very nice if aliens abducted smitty, yellowhouse and all their supporters and family members. Even better, it the aliens never returned them.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

I live here so I guess I am a local. I went to KU and then moved back to raise my family. Oh, I can hear the comments now. I respect the law and the people who enforce it. Isn't it nice that computers have got to the point where folks who are essentially brain dead can still get on and type, sort of, messages to the rest of the world. I have a cat. What has that got to do with the letter? Nothing, I just want to fit it.

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

So guardian are you saying that LPD did not protect the Smittys and Yellowhouse from the alien abduction?What kind of police would sit back and allow such a thing to happen? Did they give the alien their card?

coolmom 5 years, 4 months ago

so we all believe the drug dealers huh? i personally never had a reason to hate the cops even coming from a family that wasnt always so good at staying out of trouble. i think law enforcement is a hard and mainly thankless job. sucks that we treat politicians and rock stars and athletes so good and police officers, teachers and service personnel so bad. of course some cops dont do a great job but most do.

footballguy49 5 years, 4 months ago

Hampton ct. Apt.s are they on Redbud, Hummmm ????

Jim Phillips 5 years, 4 months ago

It's true. I also heard at the drop-in shelter that smitty was abducted by aliens and that if he/she/it eats after midnight or gets wet, hew/she/it turns into a big hairy monster. The news out of there is Gospel!

Jim Phillips 5 years, 4 months ago

SInce we're spinning yarns here, did you know smitty and yellow house were abducted by aliens. I heard it at the drop-in shelter so it has to be true.

footballguy49 5 years, 4 months ago

What do you call a police officer who sells drugs to undercover FBI agent and is still working for the Lawrence police dept.??????????????????? A SNITCH

lawthing 5 years, 4 months ago

So why must Smitty and Yellowhouse have to be ignored? I heard the same rumor that Smittys talking about. It involved a residence on Redbud,.Only I heard the amount of money was $3000. The chicks name was Tiffany. That was the buzz down at the drop-in center anyway..

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

And, as an extra surprize, I agree with beo and mad. Now I will not argue with the comments about the Jeff. Co. LEO's and agree with justme75, they are a good, competent, caring bunch of folks, that get the job done (!!!), I see no reason to blast the locals, as I think they do their best.Smitty and Yellowhouse just have to be ignored.

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

For once, Beobachter and I are in total agreement!

beobachter 5 years, 4 months ago

justme75, it's obvious you have quite an arrest record or a definite bad attitude when officers have a reason to talk to you.Smitty, get a life. Everybody who has ever read this forum knows you hate the LPD and nobody gives a damn about your senseless reason.

justme75 5 years, 4 months ago

You Must have got the only 2 officers that actually Give a sh*t, The rest are egotisticals and are on a power trip abusing the badge...Don't even get me started with the useless detectives..R.F.H!! Jefferson county is the only place I would feel safe,with their fine officers of the Law! Now theydo care!

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they could even be thanked by name if they were willing to hand someone their card once in a while!

1029 5 years, 4 months ago

"Both officers were extremely friendly and made sure our vehicle was in complete working order before we headed out"They even had their dog sniff around under the seats because they said they wanted to make sure there weren't any snakes or other dangers lurking under there. They also conducted a trunk safety inspection, making sure the spare tire was properly inflated and that cargo weight was evenly distributed. They did all this for free, and on a very cold night. They definitely went above and beyond. Thanks policemans!

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

There comes a time in society when we quit vcalling the brave crazy and make changes withour ever thanking the crazy ones for telling the truth.BTW, what ever happened to McAtee's law suit for slander/libel against a local business owner? If Mike McAtee wants to sue me for the same, he's wlecome but that will place him and our city in a position of exposing the truth. Can't let that happen for the sake of Lawrence's PR and CC image. Under the table and back room deals is the name of the game. Never mind the laws!!

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

Why hasn't someone had Smitty committed to a nut house?

smitty 5 years, 4 months ago

Remember the comment from Amyx when asked if there was an investigation on Olin and his staff by a highere outside legal authority?? He replied it was being handled as a personnel issue thru the city manager's office? A female drug dealer on Red Bud may or may not agree.Briefly....... LPD Officer McAtee came in and took a couple of thousand dollars and her drug supply(dealer?) and did not file charges nor report the confiscation of the money or drugs. McAtee also had a thing going on with the evidence room at the same time. Sssssssssshhhh!!! But never fear, McAtee got sent up.....to rehab...no criminal charges for committing felons thanks to the city manager/commission's handling this LPD issue as a personnel issue in Lawrence.Olin can't do this without the assistance of our local political system.LPD rules!!LPD rules along with the city manager/commission.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh, heck yeah!LPD rules.They have their moments.Like when they let me finish my lunch before taking me to jail.Or when they gave me,my friend,and our half gallon of vodka, a ride to the river on the promise that we would stay down there.And when a uniformed officer sat and girl watched with me on a downtown bench.LPD rules.