Archive for Saturday, December 13, 2008

Helpful officers

December 13, 2008

To the editor:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank two outstanding police officers who went above and beyond the call of duty to help my brother and I. Late last night, we decided to make a quick run to grab a bite to eat. Unfortunately we ran out of gas about halfway to the restaurant. I began walking the six blocks to the nearest gas station in the bitter cold.

No sooner had I made it to the gas station than an officer pulled up and offered to give me a ride back to our vehicle. Both officers were extremely friendly and made sure our vehicle was in complete working order before we headed out. Personally I think Lawrence is very lucky to have officers such as these. I’m sorry that we did not catch your names, but please know that we truly appreciated your concern for our well-being.

David Barrett,
Lawrence

Comments

geekin_topekan 6 years, 3 months ago

Oh, heck yeah!LPD rules.They have their moments.Like when they let me finish my lunch before taking me to jail.Or when they gave me,my friend,and our half gallon of vodka, a ride to the river on the promise that we would stay down there.And when a uniformed officer sat and girl watched with me on a downtown bench.LPD rules.

1029 6 years, 3 months ago

"Both officers were extremely friendly and made sure our vehicle was in complete working order before we headed out"They even had their dog sniff around under the seats because they said they wanted to make sure there weren't any snakes or other dangers lurking under there. They also conducted a trunk safety inspection, making sure the spare tire was properly inflated and that cargo weight was evenly distributed. They did all this for free, and on a very cold night. They definitely went above and beyond. Thanks policemans!

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

Maybe they could even be thanked by name if they were willing to hand someone their card once in a while!

justme75 6 years, 3 months ago

You Must have got the only 2 officers that actually Give a sh*t, The rest are egotisticals and are on a power trip abusing the badge...Don't even get me started with the useless detectives..R.F.H!! Jefferson county is the only place I would feel safe,with their fine officers of the Law! Now theydo care!

somebodynew 6 years, 3 months ago

And, as an extra surprize, I agree with beo and mad. Now I will not argue with the comments about the Jeff. Co. LEO's and agree with justme75, they are a good, competent, caring bunch of folks, that get the job done (!!!), I see no reason to blast the locals, as I think they do their best.Smitty and Yellowhouse just have to be ignored.

lawthing 6 years, 3 months ago

So why must Smitty and Yellowhouse have to be ignored? I heard the same rumor that Smittys talking about. It involved a residence on Redbud,.Only I heard the amount of money was $3000. The chicks name was Tiffany. That was the buzz down at the drop-in center anyway..

footballguy49 6 years, 3 months ago

What do you call a police officer who sells drugs to undercover FBI agent and is still working for the Lawrence police dept.??????????????????? A SNITCH

Jim Phillips 6 years, 3 months ago

SInce we're spinning yarns here, did you know smitty and yellow house were abducted by aliens. I heard it at the drop-in shelter so it has to be true.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 3 months ago

It's true. I also heard at the drop-in shelter that smitty was abducted by aliens and that if he/she/it eats after midnight or gets wet, hew/she/it turns into a big hairy monster. The news out of there is Gospel!

footballguy49 6 years, 3 months ago

Hampton ct. Apt.s are they on Redbud, Hummmm ????

coolmom 6 years, 3 months ago

so we all believe the drug dealers huh? i personally never had a reason to hate the cops even coming from a family that wasnt always so good at staying out of trouble. i think law enforcement is a hard and mainly thankless job. sucks that we treat politicians and rock stars and athletes so good and police officers, teachers and service personnel so bad. of course some cops dont do a great job but most do.

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

So guardian are you saying that LPD did not protect the Smittys and Yellowhouse from the alien abduction?What kind of police would sit back and allow such a thing to happen? Did they give the alien their card?

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 3 months ago

I live here so I guess I am a local. I went to KU and then moved back to raise my family. Oh, I can hear the comments now. I respect the law and the people who enforce it. Isn't it nice that computers have got to the point where folks who are essentially brain dead can still get on and type, sort of, messages to the rest of the world. I have a cat. What has that got to do with the letter? Nothing, I just want to fit it.

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

Mr. beobachter that was very cold hearted.

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

aliens abducting the Smitty and the Yellowhouse would be an act of thievery.Then the aliens would be coconspirator fencers of smittys and yellowhouse peoples, and they would have their alien ship raided by the LPD, and well you know the rest.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm in favor of alien abduction for certain bloggers at this point.

somebodynew 6 years, 3 months ago

Oh Lord, I am probably not to be heard from again!! TG13 wants me abducted. (Now if someone with the name of TG13 were to do the abduction, it might be interesting - don't like the prospect of aliens though, cause that could include smitty or yellowhouse.)

footballguy49 6 years, 3 months ago

Please do not have the aliens abduct the messenger’s

footballguy49 6 years, 3 months ago

Somebody has to say what everybody knows but people are to scared to say because of police intimidation.

footballguy49 6 years, 3 months ago

Guardian why are you so defensive when someone post information about Mcatee??????????????????????

triplegoddess13 6 years, 3 months ago

somebodynew-I wouldn't abduct you because you still owe me coffee.footballguy49-Did you stop to think that maybe Guardian is just trying to keep you from embarrassing yourself and others with your spreading of illicit rumors?

bizarre 6 years, 3 months ago

So let me get this straight. Smitty and yellow house along with all their supporters and family need to be taken away by the aliens...............................and McAtee along with his supporters and family get to stay.......................because they are rehabed?

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 3 months ago

I have never had trouble with the police but then I don't break the law. If you do and get arrested who are you mad at? You because you did something illegal? No, the officer who arrested you! That is the nature of the police. They arrest people who break the law. Now do you get it? As for the aliens, I say show them some mercy and do not inflict these posters on them. Even the Ferengi do not deserve this.

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

Cleopatra you are very blessed to have never been in trouble with the police and to have never broke the law. You are also very blessed to have never been wrongly accused. Or had someone in your family falsley arrested or imprisoned as part of a cover-up.You are also very blessed to be able to still believe that there is no corruption in the Government, and that the police only go after the guilty.You are also very blessed to be able to still believe that police are above making mistakes.I wish I was as blessed as you!

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

I have lived in lawrence 20+ years now too.buying and selling second hand goods is a tough job!Most people who work full time would consider their job tough!so whats your point?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 3 months ago

i see things never change on here oh well all is well in lawrence.

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

Interesting, but when did YH bash cops?I dont see a single post here by YH that bashed a cop!And how do you know who the YH has to deal with.You are judgemental and assumptive.

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes there are wonderful officers working for LPD. I have met some of them. But when things are not so wonderful, it would be nice to have a citizen review board to impartially monitor complaints.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 3 months ago

smitty-I think the main topic of this thread was to thank these officers and not to discuss your private agenda. That is if you wanted to stay on topic as you say you do.

somebodynew 6 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, smitty, and the gov't was involved in 9/11 and there are black helicopters flying around monitoring people - - Oh look out - it might be you. Do you have tin foil on the windows @ vt towers?? Maybe you should.You have been beating this dead horse for "17 years" and just adding names to the "suspect list" as you go along. I have been here the entire time also, and somehow I don't see this huge conspiracy with feds, locals, and are you sure the CIA isn't invloved somehow? Oh wait, it must be the DEA since you say drugs are involved. I bet if we wait a month or so, it will be the CIA though, I am sure someone along the line had "secret" information and that is why McAtee is still on the job.Do US a favor - give it a rest.

bizarre 6 years, 3 months ago

Boy major sensitivity going on here....did someone hit a jugular or something? Smitty is the only one making sense here to me.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 3 months ago

You really have to forgive smitty. He/she/it has a case of myopicrectaitis. That's where the optic nerve gets crossed with the anal nerve and gives one a "s[m]itty" outlook on life.

flyin_squirrel 6 years, 3 months ago

McAtee is one of the most honest officers I have ever met. I think you guys might want to lay off the drugs yourself....

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

this thread, following the very nice expression of thanks in the LTE, exemplifies the saying: no good deed goes unpunished! good job officers. I have known you to be thoughtful and considerate on many occasions. I've met officer McAtee, and its amazing, he didn't breathe like Darth, or give any other signs of being on "the dark side."
Actually it would be very nice if aliens abducted smitty, yellowhouse and all their supporters and family members. Even better, it the aliens never returnedthem.wow, did Smitty try to highjack this thread! a highly developed race capable of building an interstellar ship to come here would be far too smart to snatch these folks, unless they especially wanted to probe them. you know, there's probably some cop conspiracy including those aliens anyway!

wordstrength 6 years, 3 months ago

I wonder how many times "smitty" has been arrested...sure sounds like a petulant little kid to me. And with as much whining and complaining and citing of references as he does...he must be employed as a video game tester to have that much free time on his hands. Did you buy those video games at YH by chance? Because your terminal stupidity seems to have rubbed off on YH. And the only way to get vaccinated for your condition is to beg the wizard to give you a brain. Good luck with that. If you're as good a beggar as a bitcher, you'll do just fine.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

well,I see smitty has continued to highjack this thread! sad. and she cites some small-time, low-membership organization on the fringe; smitty forgot LEAP, too, another fringe organization, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. fringie group mostly in CA pro-pot. **back to original topic: good job officers. I have always had only positive and respectful interactions with LPD officers, including Officer McAtee! and at the time, he didn't offer to eat my liver or something. the lte at the top of this thread exemplifies the overwhelming majority of public experience with LPD officers. thank you.