Archive for Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Suspect accused of injuring officer in police chase faces 11 charges

27-year-old Topeka woman has lengthy criminal record

Barbara Jo Schnegelsiepen makes an appearance in Douglas County court on Wednesday afternoon. She has been charged with two felony counts of aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer and nine other crimes following a high-speed chase on Tuesday.

December 3, 2008, 12:34 p.m. Updated December 3, 2008, 5:22 p.m.

Barbara Jo Schnegelsiepen, 27, Topeka, made her first court appearance on Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008, via video from the Douglas County Jail, where she is being held on $350,000 bail. Schnegelsiepen faces 11 charges in connection with two residential burglaries Tuesday morning in Lawrence that were followed by a lengthy high-speed chase that extended into rural areas west of town. A Lawrence police officer was injured when he was struck by the fleeing vehicle.

Chase suspect captured near Stull

A Tuesday afternoon car chase took officers east on U.S. Highway 40 before heading north into rural areas west of Lecompton. The suspect was ultimately captured a mile north of Stull, after a Lawrence police officer struck the suspect's vehicle, ending the chase. Enlarge video

The Topeka woman accused of injuring a Lawrence police officer Tuesday during a high-speed chase faces two felony counts of aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer and nine other charges.

Barbara Jo Schnegelsiepen, 27, made her first court appearance Wednesday afternoon.

“I didn’t mean to,” the suspect said during her Douglas County District Court hearing, in which she appeared via videoconference from the county jail.

Schnegelsiepen is accused of burglarizing two Lawrence homes and then leading law officers on a chase that extended to rural areas of Douglas County.

Lawrence Police Officer Doug Payne was struck by the fleeing vehicle on U.S. Highway 40 east of Big Springs, shortly before the chase ended. A police spokeswoman said Payne was in good condition Wednesday afternoon at a Kansas City-area hospital.

“She drove directly at him and intentionally struck him,” said David Melton, chief assistant district attorney.

Schnegelsiepen faces one count of aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer. She’s also accused of aggravated battery against Lawrence Police Officer Hayden Fowler and aggravated assault on Kansas Highway Patrolman Kyle Moomau. The fleeing vehicle allegedly hit Fowler’s police car and forced Moomau’s cruiser off the road.

Melton said the suspect also drove directly at civilian vehicles during the pursuit.

In addition, Schnegelsiepen is charged with two counts of aggravated burglary, both felonies. Those charges, prosecutors said, are in connection with burglaries Tuesday morning at two occupied Lawrence homes. One home was in the 2700 block of Wildflower in southwest Lawrence and the other in the 3100 block Tomahawk Drive in northwest Lawrence.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office claims that after the burglaries, Schnegelsiepen fled when a police officer signaled her to stop. And Branson’s office alleges she stole two vehicles — a 2007 Jeep Wrangler and a Dodge Stratus — and several other items, including a Coach purse, a Sprint Rumor cell phone, a garage door opener, a lighter and perfume bottles. She also faces a reckless driving charge.

Schnegelsiepen is charged with a total of 11 counts, eight of which are felonies. She was booked into jail Tuesday, where she remains on $350,000 bond.

“She is an extreme danger to the public and law enforcement officers,” Melton said.

Tuesday’s chase, which at times exceeded 90 mph, took officers west of Lawrence on U.S. Highway 40 and then headed into rural areas west of Lecompton.

Douglas County Pro Tem Judge Jim George presided over Wednesday’s court appearance, which about a dozen law enforcement officers attended.

Schnegelsiepen will return to court at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. George appointed Lawrence attorney John Johnson to represent her.

Comments

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

Alas Py - I knew it was too good to be true. But, we each have our memories.

buckethead 5 years, 4 months ago

5 December 2008at 7:30 p.m. Suggest removal Permalink buckethead (Anonymous) says… i agree with the fact that this woman is a waste of society and yes she probably was under the influence of drugs at the time. but i gotta speak up in regards to the “meth mouth” comments. why is it that a person in need of dental work is automatically a meth user? i have never used meth, and it sucks to be me, but i have dental flaws that steam from a childhood illness and find the “meth mouth” assumptions uncalled for

Pywacket 5 years, 4 months ago

T_O_B~Don't worry--I think you can take correspondence classes through K-State or any ag school. Somebodynew~ I don't know... that would be just too weird a coinkydink, wouldn't it? And my man in blue was very long ago and far away north. That was before I moved here. "Schnegelsiepen" sure sounds like what someone might say when they step in a big schteaming pile of doggie doo--or would that be, "hundescheisse"?

flamingdragon 5 years, 4 months ago

actually, the nazi party was ultra-right wing.nationalism party...you know, like being super patriot and wanting to rid your state of all other race groups.kinda like fox news. the socialism part only applied to native germans....kinda like the clan.what I need to know is how in the hell did the police car collide with the front of her (stolen) car? I went to the scene last night and there were only one set of skid marks in the gravel...wonder if she had turned east, or was in the process of turning and the cop spun her out? just curious.

invictus 5 years, 4 months ago

The Nazi were socialists. And they liked to redistribute the wealth.

blue_islet_in_red_ocean 5 years, 4 months ago

Naw, I don't think she's an Obama liberal, Invictus. She's probably one of those anti-Neocon neo-Nazis, you know, using the "Nazi" method of meth-making. Oh but wait, I forgot, Bill O'Reilly and company said that the Nazis were really liberals, so I guess it don't make any difference and you're right after all.

invictus 5 years, 4 months ago

She is obviously a liberal, just getting a jump on the big redistribution.

tunahelper 5 years, 4 months ago

too bad the police officers didn't shoot her after she struck the police officer. then there wouldn't be any lengthy trial and waste of good tax dollars.

zettapixel 5 years, 4 months ago

Whoa I never noticed the Danny Trejo resemblance until now, but you're absolutely right!

bangaranggerg 5 years, 4 months ago

She looks like the love child of Danny Trejo and Kirsten Dunst.

flux 5 years, 4 months ago

Cant stand a thief.....hang her!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 4 months ago

Wow, ya'll really hate her, don't you?

XEPCT 5 years, 4 months ago

hopefully her sentencing will include wearing a bag on her head .... for the rest of her life ...................................................... meth around much lady?

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

Okay, seriously, can we get that pic off the front page? For everybody's benefit?

manus_flexibilis 5 years, 4 months ago

Hair blowing in the wind, loogin purdy for some pix...

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

hawk was actually pretty funny on the chicken's approved thread, but doesn't look like many saw it.Tonight, when your head is on the pillow, quiet..you'll all be thinking..reunited and it feels so gOOD,reunited and it's undersTOOD..picture it.Then let us know in the morning on OTS

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

If that damned song stays in my head all night....

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

Py - is that you???? I was one a long, long time ago and lost track of a few folks. Could it be???? Reunited, reunited (cn't remember the rest of the song).

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

" I dated one (many, many years ago), and he certainly would lay it out every day." PyLay what out, Py? I'm confused./Was sick on sects-ed day.

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

Py - you may have taken the prize away from geekin.(at least if my interpretation is correct - and I am pretty sure it is.)

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

"I wonder if she is liberal or a conservative?"I'm gonna jump out on a limb here. . . and guess that she doesn't give a rat's @$$ about politics. 35.9 percenter, all the way. (2008 results)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

lolThanks geek, I'm so relieved! Seriously.. I was concerned about you today!;~)Now I have to go see if I can find out what that last name really does mean. It will distract me from the frustration I'm feeling from not being able to find a death certificate online today.Grumblesiepen!

Pywacket 5 years, 4 months ago

MD~ One of those would've worked just fine, too! Autie~ I totally agree with your comments on LEOs. I dated one (many, many years ago), and he certainly would lay it out every day. At least... that was my observation. ;-)

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

OK geekin_topekan - You obviously have way too much time on your hands lately. I have read a lot of you other posts before, but these today are just too much. “I can't come in,it's the first day of Schnegelsiepen.”That (along with the anagram) has to be the funniest s**t I have read in a good long time.I think you are the winner for this story !!!!!(Ok it could be the beer - but I just find this great.)

barrypenders 5 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if she is liberal or a conservative?

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi,google "ANAGRAM" and you'll find several engines.-----Sounds like a Jewish holiday."I can't come in,it's the first day of Schnegelsiepen."boss>"Oh,Ok.I didn't know.See ya tomorrow."

offtotheright 5 years, 4 months ago

You should all be showing this article to your children!

ralphralph 5 years, 4 months ago

Re - the cjonline search ...Fernando Schnegelsiepen, Jr.JUNIOR!That's just cruel.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

Yeah..what LAWnative said...next time you want to complain about a LEO..think about what they do for you..and how they lay their a* on the line every day. Another underpaid, thankless job that they do because they care and love it..only to get gritched at from some &&^%%,,oh shoot, I better stop..I'm one of those volvo driving, latte sipping leftist liberal whatyacallits. Point is, support your local fuzz man..those guys lay it out for all of us every friggin day.

LAWnative 5 years, 4 months ago

FLux-They get paid to save lives cheesberger, its their job.They don't get paid near enough!

TheGreatOz 5 years, 4 months ago

Ol' Snaggletooth there looks like she was rode hard and put away wet many times. But that's what meth will do to ya.I hope that Coach purse, garage door opener and perfume bottles were worth it to her.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

With so very little data, reading her history and looking at her picture..meth head is right on target. No Mercy..and that's not a WWE pay per view. I feel so very, very sorry for any kids she may have. I can only hope that she is taken out of the equation for them and us and by the grace of what may be good those kids get some kind of chance..tough row to hoe brother. Maybe old Nancy was on to something when she said, "just say no". I know too many people that are locked in the same cycle of dysfunction...and it sucks..and cost us all way too much.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

I thought it was the noise that happens when the morning readers are drinking coffee at their keyboard and the gang let's loose with a good one.

thebcman 5 years, 4 months ago

why does the topeka trash insist on coming over here and causing trouble?Schnegelsiepen sounds like a delicious after dinner treat.

witchfindergeneral 5 years, 4 months ago

Yikes. It's about time they locked up Medusa. It seems like the cream of vehicular crime is rising in Lawrence. A fatal DUI, using a vehicle as a weapon against a police officer...all we're missing is a good old fashioned drive-by.

Lynn731 5 years, 4 months ago

Law enforcement in Shawnee County know the family well. Thank you, Lynn

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

geekin_topekan (Anonymous) says… You can rearrange her last name to read,helping essence.--please, I'm begging you geek..please tell me you have some website that figured that out..please.;~D====bevy,thought that yesterday when her name was released. That girl had no choice in life, her path was fated.===Pywacket (Anonymous) says… Where are those trees when you need one?+++Did you mean to say jumping-out-in-front-of-a-car "street light" ?;~P

flux 5 years, 4 months ago

They get paid to save lives cheesberger, its their job.

Lee76 5 years, 4 months ago

BARBARA JO? IS A GIRL....YA THINK

LooPerkinsucks 5 years, 4 months ago

Who the hell would name their son Barbara Jo?! Poor bastard.He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile....

Lee76 5 years, 4 months ago

THEY WON'T THROW AWAY THE KEY...THEY KEEP LETTING HER OUT

Keith 5 years, 4 months ago

I thought it was John Leguizamo practicing for the sequel to "To Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar."

Cynthia Schott 5 years, 4 months ago

Ick! We don't need people like her in the Midwest!Throw away the key!

cheeseburger 5 years, 4 months ago

Are any of you armchair quarterbacks from yesterday still thinking law enforcement should not have pursued her because she was just a petty burglar? Yeah, I didn't think so! Don't you suppose they had some idea what they were dealing with? Give 'em a break! You might even thank one of them next time you see one for risking their lives to save yours!

bobberboy 5 years, 4 months ago

Seriously though, let's hope she can get the right kind of help and get back to a normal happy life.

Pywacket 5 years, 4 months ago

Where are those jumping-out-in-front-of-a-car trees when you need one?

bevy 5 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe someone thought of the smart remark about childhood trauma from spelling that last name before I did. Glad the officer wasn't seriously hurt - but this gal sounds like a 27 strikes and oughtta be WAAAY out to me...

edjayhawk 5 years, 4 months ago

I hope you all rot in hell.Signed,Monster

Chris Ogle 5 years, 4 months ago

I bet her middle name is Meth. Her middle name, her teeth (meth rot), and damaged brain tells the story. She has used everyone, including herself to get the drug of her choice the easiest way she knew how. It is disgusting that we even feed the maggots like her. Just let her kill herself, and end the suffering .

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

You can rearrange her last name to read,helping essence.

bndairdundat 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, where are all the, "Leave her alone, I knew her in 3rd grade and she comes from a nice family, and sure she made a mistake but who hasn't?" Guess she can tell it to Ramona.

Topside 5 years, 4 months ago

Actually she is from Jackson Co.....I think not Topeka. And go to KDOC website. her whole family is in jail. sad really. they should have a whole cell block name after them. cell block shcneegel spitzen...or whatever.

mustbhiorlo 5 years, 4 months ago

It looks like she was injured also, must have hit her tooth on the steering wheel.

Clint Gentry 5 years, 4 months ago

OMG! I went to grade school with her brother and I've had a hard time convincing people that I knew someone with such a last name! Thanks for vindicating me LJWorld! Sorry it had to come to this though...

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, but at least she's only had two kids.

not_so_greek 5 years, 4 months ago

She sure was a fashionista showing off that Coach purse...

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

Autie -Whoa. Heavy stuff. Here is the Cap Journal's search...http://search.cjonline.com/index.php?_search=true&query=Schnegelsiepen&scope=general&offset=0Domestic violence, drugs, murder, suicide, forged checks for this family.

Luxor 5 years, 4 months ago

Why wasn't this skank already in jail????

fabian_zimbabwe 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they could put her in the same jail cell as Ramona Morgan, then she could chase Ramona around in circles.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

A Kasper search will reveal eight different Schnegelsiepens. Some of the info on a few wouldn't come up but it would appear to be a most interesting group of people.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

Prison and rehab didn't fix her. Maybe the shame of having her stoned expressionless and missing teeth mug on the front page will work.

averado 5 years, 4 months ago

It's a better joke if it doesn't involve Topeka, as that's a given.

bobberboy 5 years, 4 months ago

She was probably out there getting ready to rip someone off to support her meth. (nice teeth) habit. Great job Douglas Co. Sherriff Dept !! Keep up the good work.

bizarre 5 years, 4 months ago

maybe she will get the same prosecutor as the Yellow House!

classclown 5 years, 4 months ago

Did you all not notice she is from Topeka? Where are all the cracks about Topeka criminals? Wake up people!

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 4 months ago

They should have lit the car up and save the courts the trouble.

freesample 5 years, 4 months ago

"Hey, leave her alone! She was clearly traumatized as a child when she was forced to learn how to spell that crazy last name."All i have to say is hahahahahahahahaha.

blue73harley 5 years, 4 months ago

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, at least she managed to stay out of jail for 14 months since she was released. Rehabilitated? Yeah, right!

Pywacket 5 years, 4 months ago

Throw away the key before she kills someone.