Lecompton mobile home a ‘total loss’ after fire; no one injured
Lecompton ? An electrical fire destroyed a Lecompton mobile home Monday morning.
Despite the damage, firefighters and residents were grateful no one was injured.
“No one was home at the time, so we lucked out there. It’s a total loss,” said H. Wayne Riley, chief of Lecompton Fire and EMS.
Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control after it was reported about 11 a.m., and they evacuated residents of nearby homes to keep them away from heavy smoke. No other buildings at the Mobile Lodge of Lecompton, 619 Whitfield St., sustained damage, Riley said.
“(The fire departments) that were involved, they did a wonderful job,” said the park’s manager Lana Keever. “It could have been a lot worse with the wind blowing. Thank God everybody was safe.”
Riley said investigators with the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s office determined an electrical short in a back bedroom caused the destructive fire.
The Rev. Kenneth Baker, of Lecompton United Methodist Church, heard about the fire and rushed to the scene to check on residents there. He said his church has also offered assistance to the family of three who lived there.
The Douglas County Chapter of the American Red Cross was helping with food and clothing costs, executive director Jane Blocher said. The agency also setup an area to assist firefighters from Kanwaka, Wakarusa and Kentucky townships in addition to Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical, as they fought the blaze.
The Red Cross could also assist with short-term housing. But Riley said the residents also had options to stay with other family members in the area, and they would need assistance because they did not have insurance.
Keever said residents and several agencies were working on ways to donate food, clothing and household items to the family.