Letters to the Editor

Kind gesture

August 31, 2008

To the editor:

My husband, Colin, our year-old son, Liam, and I visited from Topeka tonight to have dinner downtown at The Mad Greek. Dinner was lovely, and the service was great. We rarely go on "dates," even with the little one, so we decided to treat ourselves to dessert as well. When we went to pay, there was a glitch with our bank and our cards would not go through.

Undaunted, although confused, my husband ran to the ATM while I continued to play with Liam at our table. He entertained himself by flirting with everyone else at the restaurant. Our cards didn't work at the ATM either, so I tried to contact our bank to find out what was wrong, but without any luck. The restaurant's policy is no checks, so we were at a loss for what to try next.

When Colin approached the hostess to see what we could do so we could get our account settled, she informed us that our bill had been taken care of by a couple sitting near us. We were surprised and extremely grateful.

Thanks so much to this generous and anonymous couple. Our family looks forward to passing this gift on in the future.

Grace MacMillan,
Topeka

Comments

Ragingbear 6 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like the "I left my money in my other pants" scam. Very common.

dandelion 6 years, 3 months ago

Nancy boy just can't stand the fact that these people were helped. I mean, you're suppose to do it all on your own, aren't you? Quit relying on others to help you out. The dog eat dog, every man for himself bull. Right, old boy? Only wimps help out people in trouble and only wimps accept it. Tom carries around hundred dollar bills just in case his bank card doesn't work. He never gives hand outs or takes them.

imastinker 6 years, 3 months ago

After having multiple problems like this (it can apperantly be caused by busy phone lines at the CC center), I started carrying a $100 bill with me, folded up in my wallet. If I need it I have it and only use it for emergencies. It was intended to be enough to fill my tank if the CC wouldn't work, but I may have to up that amount.....Since then, we switched to using only cash and check, and will not patronize a store that will not accept our checks.

penguin 6 years, 3 months ago

My mom had this same problem with a cc account that her and my stepdad shared. She tried to run her card here at India Palace when he was using his three hours west of here. The company later explained that they do not approve transactions for the same account in different cities. Needless to say they cancelled that cc.However, same situation happened with at India Palace. The people there said not to worry about it and to just send them a check when she returned home. She did so and included a very large tip for their trouble.As a result, I have tried to continue to give India Palace as much business as possible...also it does not hurt that their food is amazing.

labmonkey 6 years, 3 months ago

Ragingbear...that is uncalled for and you are a moron. My job sent me to western Kansas for a week a few years back. I had plenty of money in the bank, so imagine my suprise when my debit card was denied where I ate. Come to find out, that was when VISA potentially lost 40 million credit/debit card numbers. I had to call my bank and so I could at least get money from the ATM. I had to go all week paying for everything in cash until I got home.

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

I've had this type of situation happen while out of town. I blame it on Commerce and their crappy system. I'm glad to hear that someone helped out this family. There may still be a few good people left in this craphole.

wifemotherslave 6 years, 3 months ago

Hello: This woman and I have been friends since she was 14, I am quite sure there was not a problem with thier funds in the bank, but rather a bank problem. She is very financially responsible. Anyways, glad to hear they had a good time, and grateful that someone was kind enough to help them out. Just this week my son and I went to a local place and went to pay only to realize I had no cash on me, and they only accept cash, so the register woman, was kind enough to let me go back and pay later. Thank god for nice people in the is world, it does come around!

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 3 months ago

Ragingbear, right. Scam people, than write a letter to the editor to thank the good samaritan, AND sign thier name. Quite a scam. Your bitter remarks are very common. Try some green tea or a laxative.

gracemacmillan 6 years, 3 months ago

wow - we really just wanted to say thanks, but i feel i should answer a few of these comments.first, this was a bank error. second, we don't borrow money (i.e. - use credit cards). third, to all you cranky nay-sayers: this could be you next time. but don't worry. there are enough kind and generous people in the world to help even you out. and finally, thanks for the advice from having been there before. we will definitely carry some emergency cash at all times in case this happens again!

Deb Stavin 6 years, 3 months ago

gracemacmillan:Don't let the hardhearted folks on this comment board get to you. Lawrence is full of kind, compassionate people who gladly give people the benefit of the doubt when troubles (large or small) hit. -Deb Stavin

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

offtotheright is living in the 70's. He has no idea that debit cards can be used as credit cards, AND they automatically remove the money from your checking account. Get that? There's no interest. You're using your own money. No credit. Duh.