Archive for Friday, August 29, 2008

Jubilant supporters fill Liberty Hall

Supporters of Barack Obama, from left, Katrina Connor, Don Low and Diane Low, all of Lawrence, applaud as the Illinois senator is introduced Thursday during the Democratic National Convention in Denver. Hundreds of local Obama supporters gathered at a party at Liberty Hall to see him accept his party's presidential nomination.

August 29, 2008

Jubilant supporters fill Liberty Hall

As Barack Obama took center stage tonight in Denver, supporters in Lawrence had a chance to watch history together. Enlarge video

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

As Barack Obama took to the stage Thursday night in Denver to formally accept the Democratic Party's nomination for president, Liberty Hall was filled with hundreds of his Lawrence supporters along with their deafening sounds of jubilation.

The Douglas County Democratic Party played host to a watch party for people to celebrate together history in the making.

It was a day many had been anticipating for years.

For Wayne Walker, 45, a Lawrence union worker, he's waited half his life to see a presidential hopeful express the change he wants to see, he said.

Over shouts of, "Yes we can," in the theater audience following Obama's speech, Walker said the one thing from the speech that resonated with him the most was "the truth."

"It's the truth of his speech," he said. "It seems like we've been going backwards, stepping forward. We need unity and love in the world. It chokes me up to talk about it, but we need it now. And I think we can do it."

Barbara Kerr, 56, has waited to see Obama come this far, as the first black candidate to lead a major party's ticket for president of the U.S., since 2004.

When Kerr, a Kansas University psychology professor and Eudora farmer, witnessed Obama give a keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, she said she saw a leader.

"I remember looking at him and saying, 'Wow, that's our next president,'" she said. "And that's what I hope happens."

Watching Skye Coleman, 26, an Overland Park engineer, stand and cheer for several of Obama's points, one would never have known he wasn't on board with Obama from day one.

"It was absolutely amazing," he said. "He hit all the progressive points and all the moderate points as well. He was utterly amazing. As someone I didn't necessarily support in the primary, he sold me in the general election. I'm going to vote for him, no question about it."

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

What did his hometown newspaper think?"Voters still shopping for a president also couldn't help but grow impatient, as his applause lines and piercing assaults on the Bush administration echoed off that faux colonnade. Obama did not reveal new facets of his sometimes-opaque persona: Bidenesque transparency comes uneasily to him. If you felt you didn't know Obama on Thursday, you don't know a lot more on Friday.Which may not matter two or three weeks from now, when the ebullient fever of these two conventions gives way to grinding trench warfare in battleground states. What might matter, though, is Obama's reluctance Thursday night to move beyond his customary generalities about his soaring goals -- and tell undecided voters with new specificity what changes he would offer to, and demand from, the American people."http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-080829-obama-speech,0,4038059.story

Deb Stavin 6 years, 11 months ago

"What were the jubilant supporters filled with?"Well, I was there, and I was filled with popcorn and Ad Astra Ale!

volunteer 6 years, 11 months ago

Is the headline writer a resident of the most well-educated community in Kansas?

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

No matter who wins we lose. National debt will continue to increase with government spending unchecked. Every four years we get the run around. Only under Bill Clinton did our government learn how to spend within their means. Our budget had a SURPLUS. I can't wait for McSame or Osama to get elected and continue to sell our country to the world. Only a matter of time before the world comes a callin' on all the debt we've racked up.

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry to burst your bubble folks, but as eloquent as your candidate is, the people watching already have their minds made up about who they are going to vote for, like this crowd at liberty. The swing votes will instead have 30 second ads during football games off of which to base their decision.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

funny, looks like the same group of people who stood for 6 hours by the Amtrak station 4 years ago when John Kerry came by doing 60 mph and waved. Don't count your chickens.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 11 months ago

kansas778 is right, this will be a short lived buzz. Reality will set in soon.

cowboy 6 years, 11 months ago

The revolution will be televised , it was last night !

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

Clint Gentry, Obama is only "competent" if he's reading off a teleprompter. He's a tool, and some of us aren't fooled by a slick speaker.

Bob Forer 6 years, 11 months ago

I had the pleasure of watching Obama's acceptance speech in the friendly and jammed packed confines of Liberty Hall, where his message resonated with excitement. When I got home, I turned on the tube to hear a sampling of the usual pundits. While taking a gander at FOX, a replay of this historic speech, in its entirety, was just starting. While the second take was just as exhilarating as the first, what truly amazed me was the after-speech commentary of the typically right-wing pro-Republican FOX commentators. With the exception of one die-hard sour puss, the rightwingnuts heaped praise on the Obama spectacle. Indeed, Barack Obama hit a home run. A grand slam?. No. It was better. It was a true "walk-off." Bye bye Republican fat cats. No, its not the proverbial pink slip. Its worse (or better, depending on one's perspective). Its color is red, white, and blue. YOu ain't gonna be fired. We are colllectively gonna REJECT you. Have a nice retirement.

bmwjhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

"Liberty Hall Fills Jubilant Supporters"What were the jubilant supporters filled with?

Janet Cinelli 6 years, 11 months ago

Actually I think kansas778 isn't right. While I wasn't at Liberty Hall -- I am sure it was filled with folks who had made up their minds -- Obama's speach last night pulled me off the fence, and I only listened to it on the radio. I was beginning to lean toward McCain, but Obama wowed all of us last night.

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

TheSychophant, what makes you think undecideds watch these things? Let's face reality here, the people who still have no idea who they are going to vote for at this point in time aren't paying attention.

Bob Forer 6 years, 11 months ago

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

My point, if you allow for some open mindness. Is that Lawrence is a very Liberal town. I don't think that is a stretch. And that's fine, it's a University town with lots of thinking minds. But some of us, moderates, get a chuckle out of the messiah complex you people get every four years. And to me, the apex of hilarity was wactching you people camp out four years ago to watch Herman Munster Face not even acknowledge you as he came by. These are the same people in the picture that are fawning all over themselves while watching the t.v.

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

Clint, Bush is rather incompetent, and your point is? We should elect Obama because Bush sucks? That's pretty stupid.

Confrontation 6 years, 11 months ago

It was a great night at Liberty Hall. That place was packed and full of energy. Of course, the Repub Convention will be full of something completely different.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 11 months ago

I find it odd that people clap and chant at a TV broadcast. This reminds me of the people in movie theaters that yell at the characters on the screen.

Bob Forer 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry to burst your bubble Kansas778, but many "undecideds" tuned in last mind, and are no longer "undecided." Do me a favor, will ya? Don't be no cynical.

davidnta 6 years, 11 months ago

I know, talk is cheap, but also forgetting things and muttering nonsense also doesn't do the job.

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

What a great speech. We all got to witness history in the making last night, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on. But, sorry McCain supporters. Your candidate is going to get smoked.

tunahelper 6 years, 11 months ago

omaba will NOT win, he will certainly lose Kansas, he might will douglas and wyndotte counties.Nobama, keep the change.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

Clint, you throw the terms buffoon and criminal around pretty easily. I guess hanging around convicted bombers and racist preachers is O.K. in your book. I can tell by your tone that Bill Clinton is your idol. Lying to the American People, under oath, is criminal, not going to war under bad information. Exactly "what change" are you talking about. Higher taxes, national health care, just what are the "changes" that this country needs.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 11 months ago

Change for change sake may be a recipe for disaster. Question: What is Obama saying that is so great? Politicians are by nature liars that's what they do. So hold your nose and vote for one of them or don't vote it probably doesn't matter.

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

Clint, let me tell you why I bring that up about Obama. It's because he's an empty shell. He knows what he believes, but he doesn't know why; his speeches are full of vacuous phrases like "the audacity of hope." He's nothing more than a cheerleader. (I'm sure Clint will retort with, Bush actually was a cheerleader)

Mackadoo 6 years, 11 months ago

Haha, duplenty wins!I'm personally looking forward to extensive coverage of the most apathetic RNC yet. I haven't heard McCain say one word about himself yet (besides him demonstrating his lack of knowledge regarding Middle East geography), only futile attacks on Obama. Maybe if McCain would say something of substance, people would actually pay attention... Nah. I don't think he's got it in him. Obama was right. It's not that he doesn't care, he just has no idea anymore.I'm ready to kick all the lazy bums out of office and judging by last night and the latest Rasmussen poll, I'm not alone.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080828/economy.html(note how the liberal AP, takes a story on the growing economy and headlines it with "it won't last" real unbiased reporting. You show your true cards by admitting you read the Huffington post, and using that as your source. Let me just get our a Rush Limbaugh or Sean hannity quote to make my point. Please. Then you point out two stories that prove conservatie points. Headline "big govenment failure" Which party has traditionally been for big government? Also, if you live in a swamp, and it rains, don't complain about the moisture. I love New Orleans, but its 10 feet below sea level. Your link to failure leading up to 9-11. Which president does at least half of that blame fall on? You know the one who had a chance to get Bin Laden, for free, and didn't. How many lives do you think that would have saved? There you go again, can't get your way and name call. Why don't you just call me a racist now. (best liberal trick ever) Still waiting on specifics on this "Change" we need.

Trobs 6 years, 11 months ago

Just FYI - Russia was defending a country friendly to it. Georgia invaded Ossetia with the backing of the US. We told them to do it because of an oil pipeline. South Ossetia is friendly to Russia and wants to break away. We don't want that because of the oil.Send in the allies! We gave the go ahead to Georgia and next thing you know, "Russia has invaded!" More like defended a friendly country.

kield 6 years, 11 months ago

Snap pop no crackle I am confused that you would consider her time as mayor of a town of less than 7,000 as being executive experience. Last time I checked she had been govenor for 2 years now. Also Obama's campaign would have to try hard to alienate the women that were originally for Hillary since they really dont share any ideology from what I have seen.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

Excuse me Clinton, I mean Clint. You still have not let us poor souls know exactly what "change" this country needs.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 11 months ago

Obama/Biden: The ticket that wins the next presidential election. And certainly not a moment too soon. Obama has demonstrated time and time again that he makes the right decisions. Especially concerning foreign policy. Last I checked he meets all the requirements of the Constitution to be elected President, so I could care less that he has only been in national politics for four years. We don't need someone with experience of making the wrong decisions. Keep up attacks about "celebrities" or "Messiahs" or whatever other craptastic arguments think mean something, because they don't. You're clutching at straws my friend, and your sinking rapidally.

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

duplenty (Anonymous) says: "his speeches are full of vacuous phrases like "the audacity of hope."Oh man, kansas778 has finally lost it totally and completely.********Barak Obama:"There is something happening in America!" "Yes we can!""What's happening? Change,""We are the change that we seek. ""it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential. ""If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress.""In the end, that's what this election is about. Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or a politics of hope?""Issues are never simple. One thing I'm proud of is that very rarely will you hear me simplify the issues.""Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today.""My job is not to represent Washington to you, but to represent you to Washington.""We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.""There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.""This is the moment when we must come together to save this planet. Let us resolve that we will not leave our children a world where the oceans rise and famine spreads and terrible storms devastate our lands."Take empty statements like these, sprinkle in between the socialist platform, and you have Barak Obama.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

or have you never heard of Rwanda or Darfur? We're quite happy to stand by while innocents are being killed. Duplenty, you are the worst kind of American. You say we're fighting the wrong war, but if we went to Darfur, and one Soldier died, youd scream for us to get out.(as long as the president was Republican) No we can't do it all, we can't police the whole world. But you make it out like we're the bad guys here. C'mon."Oil prices dropped 6 dollars a barrel that day. "So a one day, transient event is all the validation you can provide? I give you and example, a specific, and you choose to ignore it. Another example, Obama wants to release 10 % of our oil reserves.( I happen to disagree, but still an interesting idea) do you not think prices would drop, that day as specluators saw more oil coming on the market? Please come back to the real world.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 11 months ago

Clint & duplenty- you've got some great points, keep it going.I love that people still actually believe that increasing offshore drilling is going to help gas prices & our dependency on foreign oil. While I think is is funny, I don't understand why people still believe it. We don't just get to keep the oil we drill in the US, it enters the world market. It won't help solve anything. What is concerning to me is the fact that the people who advocate it completely ignore the millions of acres that these companies lease and currently are doing nothing with the land.Ridiculous.

justthefacts 6 years, 11 months ago

Great speech. He already has a leather chair with his name and "President" on it:http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/03/politics/fromtheroad/entry4317827.shtmlGuess that means it's all over but the voting. Sure hope that if BO loses, his supporters don't go into the deep depression that occurred after the last Presidential election. Headquarters, get ready just in case!

Satirical 6 years, 11 months ago

Most people from liberty hall said there was "something in the air" with all the liberals hanging out. I had no idea hope smells so much like cannabis.

Shardwurm 6 years, 11 months ago

I registered as a Republican in 1980. When I moved and re-registered last year I selected 'Not Affiliated'.That being said...nothing I've seen from Obama is worth 'pulling me off the fence.'The dream of a national healthcare system is just that - it's a dream for the poor and a nightmare for the middle class who will pay for it.And Screed - I could say the same thing...the question is 'How?'

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

Here's another thing. If Obama wins(good possibility) we will still be at war on two fronts. I will not call him an idiot, buffoon, liar..etc for the sake of "change". I play for "the Americans" and will support any President that tries to spread democracy, help other countries, combat terroism and make America safe. You can't say the same.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

Are you really that blind.Prices would immediately drop "Funny contention, that:care to back it up with, you, know, facts? Two weeks ago, Pelosi said she "might" be willing to allow "some" off shore drilling, Oil prices dropped 6 dollars a barrel that day. Hmmmm, see a corelation?"The only reason Obama said that was at the time, it was "Popular" to say to get out of Iraq immediately. Typical Liberal trick, he can say get out of Iraq to appease the liberals, and say go to war in Afghanistan, to make him appear tough on terroism. Can't have it both ways."That doesn't even make any sense: It makes perfect sense for those that have an open mind. Do you not recall both Hillary and Obama running on the platform, get out of Iraq now. Surely you saw that, it was on the news, and in papers and the internet. Now, after going over there and talking to our generals and their leaders. He's changed his stance on Iraq. How can you run on a platform of No war on terroists here, but yes over there?"How'd that work out for you?"It worked out fine, as Saddam Hussein had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11, and had zero ability to attack the US:how did Iraq work out for you? 4100+ dead Americans (more than 9/11) and trillons of dollars wasted:good one. It worked out fine? Sadaam thumbed his nose at the US and the UN for years. I for one, am glad to live in a country where if Dictators mistreat people, kill innocents(see Kurds, you know about them, right!!!) that there is at least someone, or some country that steps up, sacrifices our own people, for the sake of democracy. You, my liberal friend, obviously don't believe the same. "How do you think we should get Russia out of Georgia"Again, dummy, with diplomacy. I asked you what military option you think we should use against Russia - a county with an active military of 1,520,000 (and conscription), 2,300 aircraft in Europe alone, 5000 tanks, 36,000,000 males between 18-36, and, oh yeah, nuclear weapons: Talking to them is going so well right now isn't it.Care to answer, with specifics? Here's a specific.Spotted, Bumper sticker on duplenty and Clint's car. VOTE OBAMA, BUSH SUCKS and stuff like that.

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

duplenty, so we should elect Obama because McSame sucks. Again, how stupid.

kansas778 6 years, 11 months ago

duplenty (Anonymous) says: You should really consider getting a job, as the air is getting a bit thin in your mom's basment.***Really got to you huh.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

No, it was Kerry on the train. He sent Edwards back a couple of days later.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

"...And let's face it - Team Obama can hardly attack Palin for a lack of foreign-policy experience. Obama has none at all, and neither Obama or Biden have any executive experience. Palin has almost over seven years of executive experience.Politically, this puts Obama in a very tough position. The Democrats had prepared to launch a full assault on McCain's running mate, but having Palin as a target creates one large headache. If they go after her like they went after Hillary Clinton, Obama risks alienating women all over again. If they don't go after her like they went after Hillary, he risks alienating Hillary supporters, who will see this as a sign of disrespect for Hillary."More at: http://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/29/what-palin-does-for-mccain-and-to-obama/

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

Ahhhhh, Spoken like the true, Liberal Close Minded Hack that you are. I'm sorry, if you can't grasp the failure of the economy, failure of the military, failure of the government over the last 8 years, there's really nothing I can say to you on a message board that will get through to you. Tell me how bad the economy is again. I read a report that it was up 3.3% yesterday for the last quarter. Dow is near 12000. Failure of the military? Please provide specifics on that. Failure of the government? After 9-11, how safe have you been the last 7 years? Just as I make points, and you try to disprove them. Don't resort to name calling(typical Liberal trick) when you are proven wrong or don't get your way.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

Hillary was right, the Obama campaign does hate women.

KURocks 6 years, 11 months ago

The Sychophant:So all the challenges we are facing are do to a republican president, and Obama will fix it all. I take a lot of comfort from a presidential nominee who says in 10 years we will no longer be dependent on foriegn oil. he won't be president in 10 years, and so many things have to fall in place for that to happen. What a joke Obama is!!!. I also have a lot of confidence in a presidentail candidate that thinks we have 57 states.

music_luvr 6 years, 11 months ago

8:31 am and we hit Godwin's Law. you knew a righty would try to connect Obama and Hitler.I love it, and McCain's selection just smacks of desperation. This is going to be a fun election to watch this tired former maverick pander to as many groups as he can to save his skin.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

1 "in ten years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East." That's just not going to happen. While we all strive for independence on foreign oil. Not going to happen. One good step would be to increase oil production in Alaska, Colorado, off shore, oh yeah. Democrats and Pelosi won't even allow for it to be voted on. #2 I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, Wasn't it less than a year ago when Obama said he would pull the troops out immediately? Why the flip-flop.#3 and finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. Just like we're doing now. And if we run them out of there, they will go somewhere else. Also, I though Obama and Democrats were against war.#4 :I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons Good Obama, give them a good talking to. They respond so well to that. Sadaam Hussein really responded well to talking to as well.#5 and curb Russian aggression. How do you propose that without military action. Remember the Democratic party opposes any war, or military action.#6 I will build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear proliferation; poverty and genocide; climate change and disease. Which President has spent more money than anyone else in helping the spread of disease in poor African countries. Ask Bono or Bob Geldoff for the answer. Liberals believe anything. "We need Change" Puhhlleezzee.

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

Last night was amazing, but McCain's selecting the former mayor of Mayberry today just sealed the deal for good. What was he thinking? A governor in a state with fewer people than reside in Austin, Texas, in office since just Dec. 2006 and already under investigation for possible abuse of power whose previous pilitical career was city council member and mayor over a town of 6,700 -- which, as you know, is less than one-tenth the size of Lawrence. Her staunch conservative views are sure to turn off any potential Hillary supporters who might have flipped to the GOP. No way. No How. No McCain. This is who he picks to potentially be a heart beat away from the presidency, on the day he turns 72 no less! OMG! Obama / Biden! The choice has already been made for us.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

As always, I've got an Al Gore posterchild with no answers. First of all, I'm a moderate. Not a conservative. I just point out the blatant lies of card-carrying Liberals like yourself. Clint, you live in a small world, where your buddies and Liberal teachers pat you on the back and say good job. It makes you feel good and smart. The rest of the world doesn't think that way. And if you ever got out of that Kum-ba-Ya bubble you live in, you might see it.

getserious 6 years, 11 months ago

duplenty (Anonymous) says: "One good step would be to increase oil production in Alaska, Colorado, off shore, oh yeah'How long will that take to get to production, and what will its effect on gas prices be, if you don't mind:. Prices would immediately drop as "speculators"(you know what they are right?) would lower prices. And also, in 6- to 10 years, which ever President is in office, Democratic or Republican or Independent, would benefit. This is supposed to be about what is better for "America"(you know that place you live that lets' you get away with spouting crap) not what's better for your party. More oil, found in the USA, benefits 'ALL' American, not just the people like you."#3 and finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. Just like we're doing now."Obama called for another combat brigade for Afghanistan well before anyone else, and correctly identifies that area along with Pakistan as the central front for the WOT. The only reason Obama said that was at the time, it was "Popular" to say to get out of Iraq immediately. Typical Liberal trick, he can say get out of Iraq to appease the liberals, and say go to war in Afghanistan, to make him appear tough on terroism. Can't have it both ways."Good Obama, give them a good talking to."Um, that's called diplomacy, and you'd be hard pressed to find any credible person who would argue against it. Do you not recall the thousands of sanctions and UN resolutions that were imposed on Sadaam? How'd that work out for you?"How do you propose that without military action."Here, we have the cherry on getserious' sundae of stupidity. Even with every one of our soldiers out of Iraq (which ain't happening), just what "military action" are you describing, against one of the only countries in the world that can not only challenge the US militarily, but a country that the US also needs desperately on a number of other fronts? So when we "liberate" Iraq, Russia condems us, doesn't help, sells arms to our enemies. But when they "invade" a country, we are just supposed to say "No, No Vladamir, bad boy" How do you think we should get Russia out of Georgia(the country not the state, my liberally challenged friend)You don't have any argument here, slick. Kum ba ya, my lord, Kum ba ya.Oh, and before you blame this upcoming Hurricane on George Bush, save it Slick.

d_prowess 6 years, 11 months ago

Do they announce TV ratings for things like the speech last night? I don't know if it is possible given the number of channels it was on, but it would be interesting to find out how many people actually tuned in to watch and then compare that to McCain's speech on Thursday.

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

snap, why would Obama have to go after Palin in the first place? He will go after McCain, and Biden will go after Palin. If he did choose to go after Palin, her scant resume actually makes his look robust.