Letters to the Editor

Tax figures

August 20, 2008

To the editor:

Allow me, one of our nation's college students, to share a lesson I learned this election year. I heard Barack Obama raging against the injustice of our tax system, how the Republicans had given tax breaks to the rich while leaving the middle and lower classes to suffer. This made perfect sense to me, and I thought to myself, "Here's one idea Obama has right. The upper class shouldn't be getting tax cuts while the middle and lower classes are having a hard time."

Alas, I failed to seriously consider the situation and get to the facts. Imagine my surprise when I did some research that is available to the public from the IRS. In 2005, the top 1 percent of earners in the U.S. (with an adjusted gross income of $365,000 or higher) made up 38 percent of the income tax contribution. The top 5 percent (those with an adjusted gross income of $145,000 or higher) made 58 percent of the contribution. The top 50 percent paid 97 percent of all income taxes. Oh, and in 1997 the top 1 percent were giving 33 percent.

This revelation gives me a new understanding of a "big brother" system.

Isaac McPheeters,
Lawrence

Comments

BrianR 6 years, 3 months ago

You're comment did more to insult you than what I said.

Daytrader23 6 years, 4 months ago

Do you earn more than 250k per year? Vote for McCain as he will protect our tax cuts. Do you earn less than 250k per year? Then vote for Obama as he will give you tax cuts. It's that simple.

Daytrader23 6 years, 4 months ago

The only problem with that is the central banks and reserves owns the majority of the worlds gold supply thus ensuring their survival when everybody else falls when the fiat currencies fall. This is a subject that we could spend days discussing. But in the end they have the most gold and the biggest guns. They win. We lose.

Daytrader23 6 years, 4 months ago

Tom Shewmon (Tom Shewmon) says:.Let me just say, our household would be hurt badly by Obama re-distribution.----------------------------------------------------You earn more than 250k ??? Are you sure about that?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"In 2005, the top 1 percent of earners in the U.S. (with an adjusted gross income of $365,000 or higher) made up 38 percent of the income tax contribution."Well, here's a little fact for you-- that top 1% happens to own 38% of the wealth in the US. Oh those poor, poor downtrodden wealthy people. They are so disadvantaged.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 4 months ago

Isaac,You are far wiser than the majority of your peers. You understand the facts about tax burdens and don't mindless obey the spinmeisters' soundbites. Please continue to educate students (and adults).

seriouscat 6 years, 4 months ago

As a layperson, a flat sales tax sounds great. It could be excluded on necessities like food and gas and be regressive on luxury and 'sin' items. Ok experts, tell me what's wrong with this idea (other than possibly encouraging black markets, and being overly simplistic).

Daytrader23 6 years, 4 months ago

Mkh (Anonymous) says:If we returned financial control from the hands of the private central banking families there would be absolutely No reason to have a federal income tax. You don't need a Fair or Flat tax, you need real currency and the destruction of the Central Bank.---------------------------------------It's much too late for that. Even Henry T. Ford once said if the people understood how the banking systems worked there would be a revolution by tomorrow. Baron Rothschild - "Give me the right to issue and control a nation's money and I care not who governs the laws."or even better"I care not what puppet is placed onthe throne of England to rule the Empire, ...The man that controls Britain's moneysupply controls the British Empire.And I control the money supply.''These quotes are almost 100 years old and they are even stronger than you can imagine today. There is no elected official who can compete with the central banks. We are their slaves. So how do you free yourselves? Play the same game they do. The money game. Thats how I did it.The only politician who is anti fed was Ron Paul and you see how popular he is in D.C.

jafs 6 years, 4 months ago

In the last 35 years, there have only been 4 in which the government did not spend more than it took in in taxes - all 4 of those were during Clinton's presidency.This suggests to me that the overwhelming majority of administrations, both Democratic and Republican, don't know how to balance a budget.Regardless of how much or little you want to be taxed, I'd think we would all like our government to stop increasing our national debt (currently about 9 trillion dollars) by spending less than they receive in tax revenue.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

Any discussion of a "fair" tax must include this fact-- our economic system is not "fair." It's designed quite specifically to be unfair. As long as we have an economic system that divvies up the spoils of the economy by allowing the richest and most powerful among us to do the divvying up (10 for me, one for you, etc.) then the tax system should be used to as a very modest means of redistribution.

Godot 6 years, 4 months ago

VTHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Bush has actually, for better or worse, increased the tax burden of the wealthiest among us by removing tens of millions of Americans from the tax rolls. I am of the belief that everyone should pay something (net, not gross) in taxes so that they have some vested interest in it spending that money efficiently. I am not (in this space, at least) advocating for a flat-tax or regressive tax system, but Bill Gates' doesn't get 10,000,000 times as many firefighters for his house, or 10,000,000 times as many votes as Joe Schmo who pays little to no income tax.

acoupstick 6 years, 4 months ago

"The most insidious, regressive and burdensome tax for the average homeowner is the property tax. I'd like to see a presidential candidate offer up a solution to do away with that tax."Property taxes are assessed by state and local governments, not the federal government. Do you really want the feds sticking their nose in this business? For those of you who are anti-tax and anti-government, please post your preferred solutions instead of just empty, intellectually weak criticisms. We all benefit from a reasonable and sincere discourse.

jafs 6 years, 4 months ago

By the way, the worst (by far) deficit was in the '80's under president Reagan.

Godot 6 years, 4 months ago

The FAIR tax is a solution that will eliminate the need for the income tax and the property tax.

Godot 6 years, 4 months ago

Shhhhh!!! the facts are verboten. If you state them, Obama will call you a shameful liar. Be careful.

acoupstick 6 years, 4 months ago

"It's called marxism or as I see it robbery."Do you actually know what marxism is, or is it just a term you throw as an insult at anything you don't like?

Mkh 6 years, 4 months ago

invictus (Anonymous) says: "Mkh,It's true our tax money goes directly to international bankers, the income tax system has driving a ring through nose of america and we are all slaves. The Rothchild dynasty perfected modern banking and debt is used as modern day slavery. If indivuals are too independent to be in debt, then just put the whole country in debt and tax the free people to pay the interest"-----------------------------------------------We are in complete agreement!Debt is the issue that should also be discussed here. This is why it's not as simple as if your rich vote for McCain and if your not vote Obama...that is a skewed picture because national debt is a type of taxation as well.If we returned financial control from the hands of the private central banking families there would be absolutely No reason to have a federal income tax. You don't need a Fair or Flat tax, you need real currency and the destruction of the Central Bank.I'm glad at least one other LJW neighbor understands these concepts.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

Republican voodoo economics killing the economy!

Mkh 6 years, 4 months ago

I know all of that DayTrader...all too well.It won't be easy, infact, nothing short of a true revolution would accomplish it. But here is the kicker, we might not have to do anything as they are currently killing their own machine. The World Economy is about to completely collapse, when this happens the US will be cut off from the welfare of other countries and the current system will totally fail...opening the possibility of a new start. Fiat currency always fails, always.

Trobs 6 years, 4 months ago

"Wouldn't that open up an underground, no-tax economy?"Compared to now when you simply have Tax Evasion. FAIR tax would at least give you the option of paying. If you don't want to pay taxes, don't buy anything!

hornhunter 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe Obama needs to rag on his old lady, that all those Student loans she took need to be paid back.

Daytrader23 6 years, 4 months ago

Godot is Liberal???? WTF are you smoking???

1029 6 years, 3 months ago

a) the FAIR tax would get more support if it didn't include repeal of the estate tax. b) Don't be fooled that this is your average college student. Isaac McPheeters is a homeschooled, right-wing hardcore Christian whacko. He never came close to thinking "Here's one idea Obama has right...." ...poor guy hoped for Brownback, then for Huckabee, now all that's left is that far-left Liberal John McCain.

commuter 6 years, 4 months ago

If you are looking into tax figures, can someone tell me how much the IRS gives away in the form of the Earned Income Credit?

billbodiggens 6 years, 4 months ago

It would appear to me that the extent of good ol' Isaac McPheeters' "research" was to read a pamphlet or page of "talking points."

Mkh 6 years, 4 months ago

Isaac,You should continue your education on tax issues and learn how and why the income tax came to be in this nation, and why it is a fraudulant farce that pays for nothing but the interest on the debt accumulated by Congress to the Federal Reserve for printing our fiat currency (which is technically illegal according to the Constitution).I'm sure you'll find this film educational...http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Freedom+to+Fascism&hl=en&emb=0#

Mkh 6 years, 4 months ago

"But in the end they have the most gold and the biggest guns. They win. We lose."-----------------------------------------------Well that does seem to be the way they have stacked the deck. But what are you going to do...roll over and take it in the you know what? There is one weapon we have...information and education. The only hope is people waking up to how their financial system operates to remove their liberty. Hopefully more young people like Issac will start to ask questions.

BrianR 6 years, 4 months ago

Godot, The FAIR tax certainly isn't the worst idea I've ever heard but I do have a question. Wouldn't that open up an underground, no-tax economy?

Trobs 6 years, 3 months ago

What do you mean by thick? Does anyone on there know how to have a discussion without resorting to insults?

Isaac McPheeters 6 years, 3 months ago

1029, if I am not a representative of the "average college student," I'm afraid that will be my lot in life.Oh and Billbodiggens, I actually gleaned the information from IRS.gov. I believe it was in the tax facts section.

whenindoubt02 6 years, 3 months ago

hey brianR, don't you mean "Your"?? It's called a possessive adjective, not a contraction. I think "you're" comment did more to insult YOU!! LOLare you homeschooled?

notajayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "then the tax system should be used to as a very modest means of redistribution."And just who are you, clown boy, that believes you're entitled to ANY form of 'redistribution?'Here's a novel thought that has apparently never occurred to you, boohoozo:Earn your own.