Letters to the Editor

Bush breakup

August 20, 2008

To the editor:

I blame neither Vladimir nor George. These things just happen. Their relationship was promising enough seven years ago when George "looked the man in the eye" and "was able to get a sense of his soul." It remained good for some years before things began to go south.

George started having doubts when Vladimir did some mean things, such as threatening gas and oil supplies to Europe. Then Vladimir made a bad choice: He invaded Georgia and captured provinces from the old Soviet Empire, then did his best Tony Soprano impression, telling the Georgians to "fugetta bout it!"

No wonder George ranted in public, but eventually he realized he no longer had any power over Vladimir. How many of us have gone through similar breakups? We should empathize over a beautiful match gone bad. Though I am not privy to their intimate communications, I imagine George saying something like this to Vladimir: "Just give me back my sweaters and CD's and let me get on with my life!"

Don Dorsey,
Lawrence

Comments

Confrontation 5 years, 8 months ago

Having Dubya look you in the eye means absolutely nothing. He's perceived as an ignorant and spoiled frat boy, which is 100% accurate.

bondmen 5 years, 8 months ago

Daytrader23 do I sense a smattering of latent racism in your comment about brothers? How very progressive and liberal of you to make such a color tinged comment.

RestoreReason 5 years, 8 months ago

Tommy Flanagan:I'll remind you that the last Democrat president also promised middle-class tax cuts when he was a candidate in 1992. He broke that pledge less than a week after he was sworn in as president.Obama is also promising a middle-class tax cut. I think he intends to keep that pledge with the same amount of integrity that led him to keep his pledge to accept public financing for his campaign.

Daytrader23 5 years, 8 months ago

Anonymous userbondmen (Anonymous) says:Yes we all have great confidence Barack Hussein Obama can stand up to the tyrants in the world; after all they will succumb to his sweet, kind talk and do whatever is good for Obama's America.Is there any doubt Barry can woo and cajole foreign leaders with his substantial charisma and charm? America's enemies have no idea what they're up against in a President Obama!----------------------------------------------------Have you ever pissed a brother off? I hate to tell you but they do a lot more than talk.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Pray to the Great Pumpkin that the White House teleprompter never goes down if the O'dude becomes President.

bondmen 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes we all have great confidence Barack Hussein Obama can stand up to the tyrants in the world; after all they will succumb to his sweet, kind talk and do whatever is good for Obama's America. Is there any doubt Barry can woo and cajole foreign leaders with his substantial charisma and charm? America's enemies have no idea what they're up against in a President Obama!

Daytrader23 5 years, 8 months ago

TopJayhawk (Anonymous) says:Dayhider don't care. He ain't paying taxes, much too sophisticated for that. Kind of a Nimby.Actually you are half correct. I live in a tax shelter country. But I still pay U.S taxes. Just not as much as I should, but it's legal for me to do this so why not take advantage of it? McCain plans to keep it this way so I should vote for him. But for the world as a whole, Obama is a much better leader. And I really don't care to pay higher taxes as they will be put to good use and not burned in Iraq or other places.

Daytrader23 5 years, 8 months ago

Which is better? A trickle up effect as has been in the last 8 years or a trickle down effect. Me personally I have enjoyed Bush's tax breaks that came mostly from the middle class. I have reinvested this money and the profits are going to charity, if the gov't won't do than I will. And anyone who makes less than $250,000 per year will benefit more with Obama than with McSame. Last time I checked the majority of Kansans earns less then 250k . Obama tackles matters that matter to normal Americans, health care, employment, wages.McCain wants to make Lockheed Martin's earnings grow some more. Me, I really don't care If I pay more taxes because I can afford it. The people who can't afford it will actually pay LESS taxes than before. But if you insist on re-electing officials who steal from the poor and give to the rich well then I say thanks for making me richer.Judgment, not experiance is what makes a great leader and history has shown us this time and time again.Obama wins in the judgment department by a landslide.Do you earn more than 250k? Seriously? If you answered no then Obama is your man. Simple enough formula don't you agree?

TopJayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Brent Garner 5 years, 8 months ago

Obama. Mr. Raise taxes, redistribute wealth, remove the profit incentive from business. No thanks! As messed up as things are now, that would be far worse! Oh, and did I mention his litmus tests for judges? You have to be pro-abortion, pro-poor, pro-minority, etc. Also, when asked about evil in the world, the worst he could come up with is child abuse? As bad as that is, it isn't the worst. Sorry, Daytrader, and all you Obamamites out there, your guy is inexperienced, shallow, and potentially a closet marxist. He does present a good image and, when speaking from prepared remarks, gives a great speech. Not enough there to win my approval.

Daytrader23 5 years, 8 months ago

W. divorced the world long ago. Only Obama can brings us back together.