Archive for Saturday, August 16, 2008

Couple ask for dismissal of obstruction case

Attorneys for the owners of a Lawrence secondhand store ask a judge to dismiss a recent obstruction case.

August 16, 2008

Attorneys for the owners of a Lawrence secondhand store, who face multiple federal charges, are asking a judge to dismiss a recent obstruction case filed against the couple.

Guy and Carrie Neighbors, owners of the Yellow House Store, 1904 Mass., were arrested on warrants last week after prosecutors alleged the couple concealed a record from police, who were investigating a computer stolen from Kansas University's School of Journalism that showed up on eBay.

In a motion filed Friday, defense attorneys argued that the obstruction case involved a state investigation and should not have been filed in federal court. The attorneys also said the couple were not accused of stealing the computer but of buying it from someone else and selling it.

But in a response motion, Terra Morehead, an assistant U.S. attorney, argues that the Neighborses should have known a federal investigation was ongoing because it involved the Internet auction Web site eBay.

Prosecutors have filed 19 charges, mostly for fraud, against the couple accusing them of selling stolen goods on the Internet.

Federal prosecutors this week also asked a judge to keep the defendants in jail until their trials. The couple had reached an earlier agreement with prosecutors not to discuss the case publicly after they had made several blog posts alleging corruption by Lawrence police and prosecutors.

Prosecutors argued the posts were trying to discourage witnesses from testifying.

Prosecutors said the agreement was broken because of the new obstruction charges and an e-mail the couple's son sent last weekend to several media members and elected officials criticizing police with untrue accusations.

In a motion filed, Marietta Parker, an assistant U.S. attorney, wrote that in a phone conversation from the Douglas County Jail last weekend, Guy Neighbors admitted he encouraged his son to contact the media about the latest arrest.

For nearly three years, the couple have denied allegations they've knowingly sold stolen goods. They also face federal drug charges in a separate case. Their trials are scheduled to begin in 2009. They remained in federal custody Friday because of the obstruction charges.

A hearing is scheduled for Monday.

Comments

Buggie7 6 years, 11 months ago

LOL I see we either have same son or another family member. Give it a rest.Wow Marion thanks for the info. Ill really keep that in mind cause I had no idea. Thats the problem with places like that garden center, you take your children but the public just is not informed enough. Im sure its talk around Lawrence but for those of us that live in the country or surrounding areas we would really like to be informed.As for the neighbors they should stay in jail if not for anything else but keeping themselves out of more trouble. I told their son on here as did others that his mouth was a 3rd party and he was gonna screw there case up. Oh well pay the piper now.

esl03 6 years, 11 months ago

I think they should just go to jail, serve their time and sell that god forsaken place and get out of that business. Can't they see thats what is getting them into all the trouble?

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

Someone forgot to take their medication this morning.

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

It's fun to watch you lose, you make it too easy.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

"...owners of the Yellow House Store... were arrested... after prosecutors alleged the couple concealed a record from police...."So hard to part with that final vinyl.

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

Didn't take them too long to get themselves kicked off this time. Think they set a new record.

bigboy77 6 years, 11 months ago

I think receiving merchandise from outside resource is risky business ?, You don't really know who might be bringing you stolen items. Unfortuately you cannot call the police for every item you buy from a individual . The nieghbors needed to keep on file items they buy from clients.So things like this won't happen to them or any one else like pawn shops. People need to learn how to love thy brother and sister . The economy is so bad across the nation !. We as people need to focus on keeping jobs alive not breaking them down. Unless you are pointing your finger at black,or interracial relationships business couples . There is no sides in my blog its just keeping it real.Yes,the lawrence police have receive some stolen items from pawn shop which they already sold to a indivdual . No charges to store owners you won't hear this in the media.

Buggie7 6 years, 11 months ago

My_25th_account.....Good Grief you cant post what you want to say in here so you have to email me on it???? By the way you have no clue who I am so get off it. I have had the same name since I started blogging on here about 2 years ago. I know about injustice douglas county court systems has done their share of seeing that with my family a while back however, this is not injustice in yours and your family. Guy was even in one of these posts a while back admitting to trying to extort money from KU for a band uniform that was their property in the first place. as you said in your email to me hmmmmm we will re-word it just for you, Hun Jellybeans are not considered big gonads so go back to wherever you came from and leave people like me who have the right to post anywhere alone. Alsoo I think theres a reason you have had 25 accounts YH groupie

workinghard 6 years, 11 months ago

" Unless you are pointing your finger at black,or interracial relationships business couples "I thought they had given up playing the race card,guess not.

esl03 6 years, 11 months ago

Don't feel sorry for Alex, he has never learned to keep his mouth shut

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

pace--was just giving Marion a hard time for bringing the Hanson story to this one as if it had any relevance. Just because something is going on elsewhere is no reason to say another crime should not be bothered with. Hanson living somewhere is not a crime and had nothing to do with the YH case. To insinuate that North Lawrence is a haven for predators is ridiculous. Look at the map of where all the predetors are living. North Lawrence is not the area that has the highest number of offenders.

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

Interesting fact, Hanson lived a block from Yellow House for years. His kids probably spent a lot of time there.

Berserk 6 years, 11 months ago

Selling stolen goods is worse than stealing them. Everything that place has ever sold was probably stolen property.

pace 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, not a flight risk but they want to put them in jail until trial, which is next year. No one has ever indicated any history of violence. Their blogging intimidates the Lawrence police from testifying in court? Is that what the prosecutor claimed? I wouldn't be intimidated, the trolls and mongers on all the local forums aren't intimidated by them, The mongers have accused and convicted yh of almost every thing vindictive minds can scheme up. One of the mongers comments suggest the children were all molested because their home address was near an address of a registered offender. No reason to post that but hate, some sort of mob reasoning. I think the Lawrence police are quite able to testify and are not intimidated. I concede the thieves testifying might be nervous. For one thing thieves often have many problems come up if their name gets publicized. I worry that YH's worst crime may be they refused to cop a plea and bend to the powers. Instead they back talked. Usually you can make people take a plea. While I know plea bargaining makes a slot machine out of the justice system we can not afford to do away with it. It saves millions. This is costing us millions.

esl03 6 years, 11 months ago

Iran? I come from Lawrence. My husband was one of the Soldiers fighting in IRAQ! So, Defender, I take it you are friends with the Neighbors?