Archive for Thursday, August 7, 2008

KU student injured in Indiana Street fire released from hospital

A KU student injured after he jumped through a window of a burning home last week was out of the hospital Thursday.

August 7, 2008

Advertisement

A Kansas University student who was injured when he jumped through a window of a burning home July 31 was released from the hospital earlier this week, his father said.

Sam Buhler, a Kansas University senior and Free State High School graduate, is recovering from arm and knee injuries he suffered when he broke through a window to escape the early-morning flames at 1005 Ind., said his father, Mark Buhler.

Sam Buhler was at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., until Monday. Surgeons performed procedures July 31 to repair cuts to his knee and arm. He also received treatment for smoke inhalation, but he was not burned.

"I think he has an appreciation for how fortunate he was," Mark Buhler said.

Sam Buhler has been living with his parents for now, and he's not expected to miss classes, although he walks on a crutch and has casts to immobilize his arm and knee.

Three of Sam Buhler's roommates who lived at the rental home have found new housing, Mark Buhler said.

Fire investigators have said illegal fireworks that occupants of the home threw around a couch on the porch caused the fire. It did $360,000 in damage and destroyed the house, according to the fire department.

Rob Farha, who co-owns the house with three other people, said Thursday morning that insurance adjusters were inspecting the property. He said he would delay commenting about the aftermath of the fire because he still did not have a report from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical or his insurance company.

Comments

Yabut 6 years, 9 months ago

Is this the same Mark Buhler who is a former Douglas County commissioner and former state senator?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.