Letters to the Editor

Save the T

August 3, 2008

To the editor:

Since 2001, the T has increased ridership every year but 2007 (when fares were raised twice). Last year, the T provided 232,000 more trips on its fixed routes than it did in 2001.

A good public transit system has been shown to be an important element in business attraction. Other communities regard their transportation systems as a tool for economic development. Public transit is good for employers, providing a reliable way to get to work across town. It helps reduce traffic congestion and the need to repair and expand the roads. It saves energy and reduces auto emissions. It's significantly safer than travel in single-passenger vehicles.

The T is an essential public service that a growing city like Lawrence cannot do without, and it should not be viewed as some frill whose existence can be questioned or put to special vote every time there's a budget shortfall. The T is as important as many items in the city budget that are not funded by special sales tax.

The City Commission is charged with making tough decisions that will benefit Lawrence now and in the future. Instead of scrapping the T, cutting service or singling out this indispensable city service for a referendum, the commission should actually make the progressive choice to invest in the system. The right decision about our bus system will take courage and vision, but it is an obvious one: Save our bus system, fund it adequately now, and start planning to expand the service in the future.

Carrie Lindsey,
president, for the League of Women Voters Lawrence-Douglas County

Comments

Stain 6 years, 1 month ago

Getting rid of public transportation at a time when the world should be moving toward public transportation, and many other cities are doing so, is worse than idiotic.The city should support the T and improve it to make it better and more ridable for more people.

Stain 6 years, 1 month ago

The J-W posted something about how much each service cost the taxpayer, a few weeks ago. The T costs the owner of a $200,000 house something like $2.40 a month. It's a pittance, compared to how much some of the other things cost. Improve the T. Increase ridership by making it easier to use.

igby 6 years, 1 month ago

If the T gets saved the city is going to have to fire this California Company that runs it like a glamor circus of SF. Un-appoint all the glamor board members who really we don't need, and run the system with some degree of common sense. No tax increase and cut their budget and make the system lean on routes and deliver too the industrial parks and work places from main hubs only. The T now is the worst waste of fuel and machinery that I ever seem. It pounds hundreds of miles of potholed pavement each day too deliver its few riders to their destinations. Lawrence is just not big enough to support the T. People for the most part are not so in a state of decline as such that their main days quest is to wait on the T. People in Lawrence, are very independent when it comes to travel and their schedules for business and pleasure, even with $4.00 gas, few have made any major change to their daily schedules and habits other than better organizing their shopping habits too make fewer trips, mainly, to reduce their wear and tear on their cars and nerves due to the potholes and construction zones. Lol.The T's here and costly as it is proved to be, the general benefits of the T are few but yet the T adds glamor to the city. However, the pissmire of tax snatch and grab politics increases the T demise in these economic downtimes.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

"Lets face it the T is a failure because very few people will ride it and it will not be missed but by a few people that are low income or handicapped."Once again people assume that only low-income citizens and the handicapped ride the T. I am neither and I ride the bus each and everyday. I really dont know what I would do if Lawrence didnt have a bus system in place. I have a car, but it is currently out of commision and until I get it fixed or buy a new one, I will rely on the T as my back up plan. I despise asking my friends/family for rides--its not their problem, its mine.In my last month of riding the T I have seen the type of people who ride the bus and I can assure you that there are plenty of hard-working, middle class, non-handicapped riders. I think the system could be re-vamped, but definitely should not be completely scrapped. Doing so would leave many people without a way to get to their jobs etc... but no one thinks about that, especially the people who say "there is no one ever on the T". Do you know that for a fact? Have you ever seen the bus at peak times during the day? or just when you see it pass you by in your gas guzzler? Dont look down your nose at the people who choose or have to ride the bus, they are your neighbors and co-workers. As I said before, I am thankful that Lawrence still has the T because I have had to utilize it MANY times because of my car troubles. One day I will be able to afford a new car, but until then i will be a happy T rider.

Centerville 6 years, 1 month ago

Carrie,As a good League of Women Voters member I'm sure you wouldn't write this unless you also know: total cost of the T and total revenues, both from fares and from taxes. Could you please provide these? And, if you don't mind, itemize each source of tax funding. Thanks much!

Lorenzo 6 years, 1 month ago

"Not even close. If the people who rode the bus paid for it (in fares or in taxes), we wouldn't even need to be having this conversation."This is the same nonsense that people say when it is time to improve schools "I don't have kids why should I pay for better schools?" I pay my taxes and I have paid more in taxes than alot of people posting on here I use the T every once in awhile I used it because I think it is a good idea I am not a liberal by any means. I chhose currently not to drive I bike anywhere I go. Even if I dont use the public transportation system I think we still need to have it and as far as "road maintenance" goes do you know how much each one of those worthless roundabouts out on Kasold costs very few roundabouts in this town are anything but show pieces to show other cities what our construction companies can do at our expense. As a bike rider I would love to see street maintenancebut proper street maintenance where it is needed have you ever rode a bike down Mass st between 12th and 19th one of the busiest sections of road in Lawrence yet it is filled with potholes and cracks. But remember just because I dont use the police or Fire everyday I should still pay for that public service and they are not turning a profit.

Lorenzo 6 years, 1 month ago

miberend bravo my point exactically. I will put my net worth up against most of the people posting on here. I could afford a real expensive gas guzzling car but CHOOSE not to. How do rich people keep there money? by not spending it on things that are frivolis. The T is a public service just like all the rest. Would we be having this conversation if it was about keeping the fire dept or police dept budget up. Also if I'm not mistaken there are more LEOs in Lawrence per capita than anywhere else in the US.

deskboy04 6 years, 1 month ago

I have a car. I pay for it. I pay property taxes, gas taxes, and sales taxes on my car.

graylanternlizard 6 years, 1 month ago

I rarely see anyone on the the T. It would be nice to know the total expenditure of the T to date and divide that by the number of riders, We would be disgusted to know what it really cost to transport each person.

camper 6 years, 1 month ago

Once again, it took only one post to categorize this as a "symbolic liberal political failure". Jesus Christ, when are we gonna get off of this conservative vs. liberal thing? Why can't we argue the facts rather than trying to make everything political?

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

vavs0929 (Anonymous) says: "Why should I have to ask my friends/family for rides when there is another option?"Why should we pay for that other option? If your goal in not asking them for rides is to be self-sufficient, riding the bus doesn't qualify."Im a taxpayer as well, so I like to think that Im already funding my portion of my transportation."Not even close. If the people who rode the bus paid for it (in fares or in taxes), we wouldn't even need to be having this conversation.

igby 6 years, 1 month ago

She's is wrong about all her points. Basically lied about every aspect of the truth about the T and how it is ran. Symbolic is the T and symbolic is the idea of its function being important to a city thats growing like Lawrence.(big lie) The QE2 is symbolic to England but not practical. Lets face it the T is a failure because very few people will ride it and it will not be missed but by a few people that are low income or handicapped. May be Ku or the private sector will want to buy it and relieve the city of this millstone of symbolic liberal political failure.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

The headline should read, "Save the T from further embarrasment by shutting it down now". Seriously, when are we going to cut our loses and get rid of this wasteful nonsense?

Newell_Post 6 years, 1 month ago

Wait! Wait! I think I know what happened. Somewhere along the line, this whole thing got confused. The original proposal was to buy a fleet of Model Ts and park them all over town for use by impromptu car pools! That "T" would have been much more efficient and economical.Here's what everyone needs to make a reasoned decision about the T. We need a simple P&L statement such as the following posted to this forum. Or maybe the LJW could get a real accountant to prepare this and they could run it as a story. Does anybody have the resources to provide a simple, objective, unbiased version of these accounts?Income:.Fares:.Government subsidies:.Advertising revenue:.Other Income ----------------:.Total IncomeExpense:.Direct Expenses::..Direct Labor::..Fuel::..Repairs and maintenance::..Depreciation and other non-cash expenses::..Other direct expenses:.Indirect Expenses::..Indirect labor::..Marketing expenses::..Administrative office expenses::..Other indirect expenses -------------------:.Total Expenses -------------------:.Net Income/(Loss) ============Then number of rides per year.

miberend 6 years, 1 month ago

You have no idea how great you have it in Lawrence! I live in the South West now and miss living in Downtown Lawrence. I miss riding the bus or walking to work and I miss my husband doing the same. Because of the T, we were able to sell one car and make a friendly impact on the environment. Now, living in a community that is the same size in the SW, we are unable to do the same and struggle living with one car. Keep the T and you people who think it is just for people with disabilities or those who are poor; I'll compare my income with yours. It is because of these prejudices that you don't ride the T. You should be ashamed.

Sigmund 6 years, 1 month ago

jonas (Anonymous) says: "I'm sure that there's no wasted expenditures in any of those categories, or any others on that list."Great point, I sure wish Lawrence had hired an auditor. Wait a minute, we did hire and pay for an auditor! Apparently he is busy with pavement condition measures, police administrative review, street light payments ($500,000/year compared to $200,000 each month for the empTy), controls over small purchases (under $1,000 totaling $800,000 per year compared to the $2.6 million per year for the empTy), financial indicators analysis. and ethics questions. No word yet on when he will get around looking at the empTy.http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/may...

Sigmund 6 years, 1 month ago

This LTE is little more than a bumper sticker but without the substance of the average vinyl slogan pasted on the back of the 60's beater or late model Prius's that careen through Lawrence's traffic calming devices. Public Transportation takes up to 4.84% of the current budget and City Debt has to be paid. So the real question is, what would Carrie cut in her effort to save the empTy? Would she cut Fire and Police or Libraries and Parks?City Debt - 29.00%Police - 16.01%Fire and Medical - 14.74%Library - 13.49%Park and Recreation - 5.88%Public Transit - 4.84%Health Insurance - 4.13%Street Maintenance - 3.76%Outside Agencies - 1.53%Planning Department - 1.32%Building Maintenance - 1.04%Technical Support - 1.02%City Legal Services - 0.78%Municipal Court - 0.76%Street Lights - 0.69%City Managers Office - 0.63%Human Relations - 0.32%City Commission - 0.06%http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/jul...

manplanner 6 years, 1 month ago

Daniel Davidson 6 years, 1 month ago

If the city of Lawrence would look at the schedule and the companies around town who work 24/7 and rework the bus schedule to allow more of the employees of these big corperations the opertunity to ride instead of drive the T could and would be a great thing. But when the T catters to first shift workers only the rest of the work force is pushed to drive and waste fuel,pollution, and indanger everyone elses lives with yet another car to be struck or to stike another. WISE UP CITY T and change the hours of funtion to include all who work and not the few.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

Why should I have to ask my friends/family for rides when there is another option? I choose to not make my problems theirs, I shouldnt have to take flack for that. Im happy that I do have the choice to take the bus as opposed to inconveniencing my friends. Im a taxpayer as well, so I like to think that Im already funding my portion of my transportation. Oh.. and my parents bought my 2nd car (first one was the hand-me-down) but I made the car payments from my wages.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

"Would she cut Fire and Police or Libraries and Parks?"I'm sure that there's no wasted expenditures in any of those categories, or any others on that list.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

So, what if we could decrease the costs, but could not guarantee operations revenue to cover them? Is there an acceptable level of subsidization we are willing to accept? As I understand, but can not confirm, there is something of a worldwide dearth on truly profitable public transportation.

Ragingbear 6 years, 1 month ago

Keep this in mind. If the T gets shut down, the lawsuits will start flying. How expensive will it be at that point?

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

The proposal Merrill offered eliminates the need for any tax increases. The proposal frees up existing tax dollars set aside for new roads,water and sewer lines that Lawrence does not need. Instead use those funds for the T,ignored roads and sidewalks in older parts of town and fund an onsite library improvement project.

Sigmund 6 years, 1 month ago

manplanner (Anonymous) says:"How about street maintenance Sigmund? Talk about a money pit all of the money we use to fix up roads."Lucky guess...The empTy is by far the largest single item in the budget that isn't an essential service and it doesn't benefit Lawrence near what is costs us. If the users of the empTy had to pay even 50% of the costs of the service ($4.00/ride) they would find a more economical means of alternative transportation (aka bicycles, carpooling with friends and coworkers, sharing taxis, mopeds, etc).This Commission either needs to cut all existing departments equally (except Fire and Police) to pay for the empTy and raise fares for the empTy to cover at least 25% of the cost of the service ($2.00), or simply get rid of it and stop paying over $200,000 per month, month after month, year after year in corporate welfare to MV Transportation. If Lawrence chooses to dump the empTy they can use that money to retire debt, increase fire and police budgets. and for preventive maintenance of existing infrastructure. Vote no for any new taxes. Then vote against all incumbents in the next general election. Redo until we get a Commission that can live within a budget and stop attempting to extort more and more money with threats year after year.

Sigmund 6 years, 1 month ago

"A good public transit system has been shown to be an important element in business attraction. Other communities regard their transportation systems as a tool for economic development."Which communities are those? New York, San Fransico, Chicago? If Ms. Lindsey had cited a single example perhaps I could show that their population density exceeds Lawrence's. Since she didn't I will only ask, if all the other communities decided to jump off the budget bridge, would you join them?What fraction of one-percent of Lawrence uses the empTy to get reliably to work? Does that justify taxpayers paying $8.00 for every ride? $18.00/ride? $180/ride. Lawrence hasn't grown in the last couple of years and the progressives position is that growth is bad. Lawrence currently spends more on the empTy than on street maintenance. Everyone, even those without private vehicles benefit from well maintained roads.

George Lippencott 6 years, 1 month ago

The "League of Woman Voters" wants the T. It is essential! This is the problem with this town in a "nutshell". Everything is essential to somebody. Of course my associates have a different opinion. We have our essential public services. Just what is wrong with asking the voters to determine what the majority wants this is ultimately a democracy. You would think the League would understand that. Oh, of course, the bad guys (church going, gun toting, insular hoard) will vote disproportionately and the good guys will not get out the vote. Right!If the T is for commuting then we are looking at ridership of less than 1% of our population. Of course, the largest employer in the town is already running a bus system to serve the largest group of commuters. If the T is a "second car" for running an occasional errand then we have maybe a third of us riding it one or two times a year. Cabs would be much cheaper. Vouchers could help the working poor. If the T is the solution to global warming then we should forbid cars in the city so the T becomes the only solution. Let us get the cars off the streets. No matter that cars will be needed to go anywhere else (making the T an unattractive economic solution). No matter that some people will see their commuting time quadruple and hardly anyone will see it decline. We will all feel better knowing we are doing our bit or a least making someone else do it.We just have to have a T, more recreation facilities, an ice rink, a bigger and better library, more "green" space, a living wage and the list goes on and on. Wait until you get the bill for alternate energy sources and it works its way through the society. I wonder if anybody will have anything left to tax!

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

vavs0929 (Anonymous) says:"I really dont know what I would do if Lawrence didnt have a bus system in place. I have a car, but it is currently out of commision and until I get it fixed or buy a new one, I will rely on the T as my back up plan. I despise asking my friends/family for rides-its not their problem, its mine."Well, it appears you do know what you would do without the 'T' - you just don't want to. The taxpayers should keep funding your transportation just because you feel bad asking family and friends for rides???"...especially the people who say "there is no one ever on the T". Do you know that for a fact?"This is a common theme oft-repeated by 'T' proponents: 'All the folks who say the T is empty don't know what they're talking about 'cause they never ride the T.'Well, that would pretty much be the point, wouldn't it?

manplanner 6 years, 1 month ago

People need to realize that public transportation is a social service, not a for-profit business.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

Jesus Christ.. stop jumping on me for not wanting to constantly ask my friends for rides... I AM taking responsibility for my lack of car by utilizing an existing bus system.. if I didnt have the option I would ask my friends but I really dont like being "that friend" who asks for rides everywhere. And thanks to Lorenzo for pointing out the useless roundabouts that this city keeps on insisting on putting up.OH, and their $30,000 crosswalk/light by the arts center... theres some money that they didnt need to spend. Drivers in this town cant even master a 4-way stops, let alone know how to yield for other drivers in the roundabouts.

commuter 6 years, 1 month ago

Merrill lay off the pipe man. It is sunday. Can't you stop doing drugs for one day, man?Why don't you pay an impact fee on your house first????Since you are a part of or were part of the Traffic board, you have helped screw nup Lawrence. Thanks great job. You, Bong, Mad as H%ll Schauner,a nd the Gay Grocery Clerk love spending the taxpayer's money on your pet projects.Maybe the city needs to decrease all of the these pet projects. No more flowers for downtown, no more bike lanes ( unless Merrill can find a way to pay for them), no more traffic calming devices, no more money for the arts, and reduce social programs.Maybe if people who rode the T paid more we wouldn't have the conversation !!!Watch out Merrill maybe the LPD is watching you!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

"Save the T"Absoluely! No oher consonan* comes close!

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

"But remember just because I dont use the police or Fire everyday I should still pay for that public service and they are not turning a profit."Speaking of the 'same nonsense':Every time your home is not broken into by a burglar who was already arrested and incarcerated, every time your car wasn't taken from your driveway by a car thief who was already arrested and incarcerated, every time the bus gets you where you're going on time because the police directed traffic around an accident, you use the police department. Every time the house down the street caught fire but the entire neighborhood - including your house - didn't go up in flames, every time a brush fire was stopped before engulfing your part of town, every time you turn on your faucet and the water isn't contaminated by the chemical spill from an overturned truck that was contained before reaching the water table, you used the fire department. Those agencies enforce laws and regulations that keep you from being the victim of a nightclub fire due to overcrowding, blocked exits, or unsafe flammable building materials; that help prevent you and your bicycle from being flattened by a drunk driver or someone who thinks those red octagonal signs are just suggestions, and from that bicycle ending up in a pawn shop to support some drug addict's habit.Whether you think so or not, we all make daily use of the services provided by public safety agencies.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Hello.... anyone home... the fed is broke, the state is broke, the county is broke, the city is broke, and I am very close. ..... Live within our means..... or go down with the rest.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Bowhunter99 (Anonymous) says: the time has come for the mT to be removed from the city's list of money losing schemes.All of the FEW and loud supporters ought to pool their money together and create a bus company. They could subsidize the rides, pay living wages, provide unlimited sick days, and all of the other unrealistic demands they put on new businesses coming to town.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Right on. That is putting things in perspective.

frankenstien 6 years, 1 month ago

"Yeah, why take any personal responsibility when you can just have the government turn your problem into a taxpayer funded program? You don't feel comfortable asking your friends and family for help, but you feel comfortable asking taxpayers for a sales tax on top of $3 million already keeping the bus system afloat."Sometimes taking personal responsibility can mean giving up your driving privileges. I personally am glad that some of the people I know do not own a car. I feel safer knowing some of them are not behind the wheel. I don't mind spending some of my tax dollars to help the people that don't or shouldn't drive get to work or wherever. Some of the people posting on here need to learn that it isn't always about you but it is about everyone in the city.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

One very easy way to fund the T, which is an important public service, would be to stop increasing city debt by adding more miles to the following annually for developers profit making ventures:water and sewer lines maintenancetrash pick upLPD coverageroads and maintenancefire department coverageAmbulance servicesnow removalInstead of dipping into the cookie jar to fund developers requests for more tax dollar assistance for new infrastructure, their houses that do not pay for themselves, warehouses and retail strip malls why not establish impact fees and excise taxes that will allow the developers to pay their own way...completely?To include: water and sewer lines streets public schools fire stations and equipment plus EMSA vehicles additional law enforcement vehiclessidewalks bike trails and cross walks* Traffic signalsJust a thought.

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

frankenstien (Anonymous) says: "Sometimes taking personal responsibility can mean giving up your driving privileges. I personally am glad that some of the people I know do not own a car. I feel safer knowing some of them are not behind the wheel. I don't mind spending some of my tax dollars to help the people that don't or shouldn't drive get to work or wherever."Well, you're partially correct. For some people, not driving is taking personal responsibility - IF they paid for their alternate means themselves. So you don't mind absorbing the cost of their transportation? Fine. I'm sure there's bulletin boards all over town that you can post your phone number on, under the heading "Free rides." The problem, frank, is that it's not your tax dollars we're talking about - what you have no objection to is spending thousands of other people's tax dollars.****merrill (Anonymous) says:"Instead of dipping into the cookie jar to fund developers requests for more tax dollar assistance for new infrastructure, their houses that do not pay for themselves, warehouses and retail strip malls why not establish impact fees and excise taxes that will allow the developers to pay their own way:completely?To include:... [yada yada yada]"Those things are already paid for by the people that use them, merrill - the people that buy the homes built by those developers, the same way the sewers, schools, and fire stations in your neighborhood were built. Yeah, we all know, merrill, development is baaaaad. However, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, unless you're typing from a tee-pee, there were most likely objections to the development of the land you live on, too.

Lorenzo 6 years, 1 month ago

notajayhawk I didn't say that the police and fire are nonsense. I said just because you don't use a service makes it worthless. I have not used the public school system in this town for over ten years but I still pay for it because it has a purpose. As far as the police thing goes the police are there for the safty of the community not me the individual. I am one of those gun toting conservative republicans that everyone thinks are so bad in this town. I have had to protect myself more than once when there was no police to protect me. You are probably also one of those people who thinks we pay for the hospital here in Lawrence with our taxes, we don't. I say the problem is there is alot of waste in this city. Do you also know how much this city will have to repay the federal government if we do shut down the T? We have taken alot of fed money for the T and we are suppose to match the funds which we have not.

Centerville 6 years, 1 month ago

How much is the actual cost per bus ride? It isn't cheap keeping a car. Why should it be almost free to ride the bus? I'll bet the cost is much higher than the average cab ride, including tip.

frankenstien 6 years, 1 month ago

Getting rid of the "T" is not the fix for the problem. Proper management of the "T" and proper budgeting in the City (pay the people doing the actual work not the $$$$$ wastes on the 4th floor/CH) would result in the "T" enhancing the Lawrence community instead of taxing it.

LogicMan 6 years, 1 month ago

"She's is wrong about all her points."Be sure to write and submit your own LTE ASAP. Both print and electronic rebuttals are important on any issue.

patterte 6 years, 1 month ago

The T takes too long to pick up, is never on schedule, and is not operated like any other public transportation I have experienced in any major city. It is COMPLETELY impractical. I would use it more, if I had hours to waste each day.I would use it if it were more efficient, but I haven't seen that happen, and no one seems all that committed to changing things. So, fix it or kill it. That's my feeling.

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Lorenzo (Anonymous) says: "notajayhawk I didn't say that the police and fire are nonsense."No, you said you don't use them every day. But you, like the rest of us, actually do, whether you see it or not."You are probably also one of those people who thinks we pay for the hospital here in Lawrence with our taxes, we don't."No, I knew that LMH gets no tax revenues. Too bad - if I was already paying for it, I might be more inclined to go there instead of going to Olathe, where the quality of care is far superior."I say the problem is there is alot of waste in this city."Starting with the 'T.'"Would we be having this conversation if it was about keeping the fire dept or police dept budget up."No, because as you said those services are provided to the community as a whole, not to individuals. Unlike the 'T.'

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

"It might surprise some of you to know that there are countless cities of our size that do not have bus service let alone two bus options."Before Lawrence got municipal bus service, it was the largest city in the US without. If we lose it, I would guess that we will regain that distinction.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

I have never had a problem with the bus not being on schedule.

dipweed 6 years, 1 month ago

What did this community do before the expensive T was put in place? Somehow we managed without it in this city since being incorporated in the 1850s, so in these extreme belt-tightening times the T and other gross inefficiencies should be trimmed.

Bob Forer 6 years, 1 month ago

While far from being a T-Basher, there are valid arguments that it is under utilized, and proundly lacking in efficency. American Democracy--at least by Constitutional design and in its promise--is a land of compromise, accomodation and tolerance. In this regard, I have a question for those of us who would like to see the T remain, at least in some reduced form: Have we explored the possibility of taking a good look at routes, times, locations, usage, user patterns and profiles, etc, in an effort to make it more efficient, less costly, and thus more palatable to the garden variety tightfisted and hardworking Kansas taxpayer? All or nothing is obviously a losing propositon. Sure, cuts may cut out some needy and worthy current users, but under the circumstances, a triagical approach is definitely indicated.And P.S., I am not suggesting the proverbial $500,000 consultation study that our Commission is infamous for. YOu don't need to be a tranisit expert (although a gracious request for gratis assistance and/or an offer to help from professors and grad students in urban studies, city management, etc, should certainly be accepted with open arms) to work through a logical plan and proposal for public consumption and comment.

George Lippencott 6 years, 1 month ago

Some of us seem to believe that what is a public service in New York should be one in Lawrence. It might surprise some of you to know that there are countless cities of our size that do not have bus service let alone two bus options.Yes there are a few where the majority wnats it that way. This whole issue is to determine if the majority wnats the T to the extent we will give it a dedicated funding source and remove it from contention. What is the problem!

Stain 6 years, 1 month ago

We cannot afford NOT to have public transportation. It is impossible to measure the benefits including increased revenue from people getting around to shop and buy services (and pay sales tax), keeping people employed, keeping people earning money and off public assistance, making it possible for people to attend KU, saving wear and tear on roads and saving very scarce parking space downtown and on campus, keeping junior high and high school kids able to get around and participate in the community (and spend all their money downtown as my kids do)...The T benefits the whole community in ways that cannot be measured. It benefits you whether you ride it or not. The sense of community is lost with this city commission. They cannot see the community because the developers are standing in the way, with their project ready to be approved and subsidized.What ever happened to the concept of the common good? It used to exist in America.