Letters to the Editor

Wrong focus

August 2, 2008

To the editor:

According to Thursday's story, the local architecture firm Rockhill and Associates is now certified so that, in the words of the state licensing board's executive director, "the public is sure that the technical professionals that they're dealing with are qualified." It's conceivable that this case was driven more by professional envy than the purported protection of an uninformed public.

In 2006, when my wife and I engaged Dan Rockhill to design a house for our family, we saw no reason to question his "qualifications" since the quality of his work is conferred not by state certification but by his nationally recognized building portfolio. His recent awards include the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award presented at the White House, the Residential Architect of the Year Award, and completing Kansas' first LEED certified building, the 5.4.7 Arts Center in Greensburg. Our house was completed last year, and its quality and design integrity are exemplary.

Is this story of a certification technicality more newsworthy than Rockhill's accomplishments? Here's an "architecture story" suggestion: Much new construction in Lawrence is distinguished only by indistinguishability, and the latest addition to our skyline - the Oread Inn - reveals this same unimaginative "quality" in a bigger package.

Rather than muckraking insignificant details about someone who's been actively creating innovative housing solutions for years, the Journal-World might employ a critical analysis of how the current state of residential neighborhood development reflects local attitudes toward energy use, sustainability, civic infrastructure and the use of design to improve community life.

Mark Holter,

Lawrence

Comments

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

Sven - you are so off base it is unbelievable... How is she impartial? She runs a state association. She is not impartial. Again, this is a matter that needs to be fetted out at the Board of Technical Professions. Aron is not the protector of the public, she is the protector of the trade.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

Sven said...well not Dolph - because Trudy happens to know that the complaint which this story about did not orginate from only one party:..but several for startersWhen you say several others, do you mean...cool, spiderman, and jaguar?

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

SpiderSvenCoolJaguarman -Why are you telling people to contact Trudy Aron when they need to be contacting the Board of Technical Professions. Leave Trudy alone, and quit adding to her work load. Seriously, you don't even know where to direct people.

paavopetie 6 years, 4 months ago

This LTE needs a correction. There are many levels of LEED certification. The 5.4.7 Arts Center in Greensburg was the first building in Kansas that is LEED Platinum, the highest level of LEED there is.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey. If you ain't licensed people need to know it. It doesn't matter how "recognized" you are.

pace 6 years, 4 months ago

Just for the record, I would never recommend Rockhill. While I was not the one who contracted him, I observed his work and his results, a lot of ego got in the way of taskmanship.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

Well, here's more proof that Sven is out of his mind. First he posts this comment a day or so ago on the "Firm Pays" thread under the name "jaguar"...then he reposts the same comment on this thread under "spiderman"...31 July 2008 at 2:04 p.m.Suggest removal Permalinkjaguar (Anonymous) says: wow a lot of removed posts today !what can spiderman say ?to an anonymous poster like svengalli ?that some people who post on the forum apparently want to be the moderator, judge, & jury ? and that those same anonymous persons don't know what they are talking about ?this story is about statutory legal issues. they are statutes and it is not really in dispute what they say.svengallis' uninformed opinions about a profession that he or she is obviously not a part of - are just that - ill informed opinions.so please listen to spiderman and others - we really only want to hear from someone with a valid and informed opinion and not have to wade through a bunch of garbage & hyperbole on the forumplease help, Mr. Kealing the on line moderatorsave the LJW forum from these 'wingnuts'.lest they accidentally walk in front of a black Jaguar coupe on 'mass'.Here is his post a bit earlier today...keep in mind that Sven always provides attribution when he cuts and pastes...but he forgot to do that today...because HE WROTE THE POST UNDER ANOTHER ID!!!!!!!!!!2 August 2008 at 1:42 p.m.Suggest removal Permalinkspiderman (Anonymous) says: this is copied from another post on the related storyfirm pays finewhat can spiderman say ?to an anonymous poster like svengalli ?that some people who post on the forum apparently want to be the moderator, judge, & jury ? and that those same anonymous persons don't know what they are talking about ?this story is about statutory legal issues. they are statutes and it is not really in dispute what they say.svengallis' uninformed opinions about a profession that he or she is obviously not a part of - are just that - ill informed opinions.so please listen to spiderman and others - we really only want to hear from someone with a valid and informed opinion and not have to wade through a bunch of garbage & hyperbole on the forumplease help, Mr. Kealing the on line moderatorsave the LJW forum from these 'wingnuts'

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

Pro_Counsel 6 years, 4 months ago

I agree wholeheartedly with those who said that the man should have been registered regardless of how highly regarded, recognized, or qualified he may be.I am a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Missouri. It doesn't matter whether the quality of my work is highly regarded by my peers or what my professional accomplishments have been. It doesn't make a difference that I passed the same exam the KS BSRB uses, or that I meet the rest of their requirements for licensure. Unless/until I am credentialed by the state of Kansas, I can not legally hang a shingle outside my door here in Baldwin calling myself a Professional Counselor, let alone practice in this state. And if it's true that the LTE writer is a professor at KU in the mental health profession, it is an absolute disgrace that he would defend someone for failing to submit to the credentialing process.

Pro_Counsel 6 years, 4 months ago

svengalli;It would seem to make sense. There are some occupations/professions that seem better suited to a hands-on apprenticeship kind of training - e.g., carpenters, plumbers, electricians, or masons. Somehow I feel (rather than think) that architecture is not something that falls into that category. I will admit that I don't know that much about architecture - but that's the entire point of credentialing, that an agency of the state charged with verifying and approving someone's qualifications to provide a service have entitled them to put the various letters after their name that attest to those qualifications, so people like me don't have to be experts in architecture to be able to choose an architect.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

You know what the truly sad thing about all of this is Sven? You spend more time complaining about your colleagues and peers than you do bettering the community you think you are improving by your constant petitions of complaint to boards. Your legitimacy is completely diminished when you do these things. I know of other people that exhibit the behaviors like yours, in other disciplines that are completely disrespected because of their petty attitudes, and interest in stirring the pot.Your interests are self-serving, and usually out of anger. Why do you not get projects you bid on? Probably because people are afraid to work with you, because you will threaten to counter-sue, sue, file a complaint, run an online smudge campaign...etc.If I thought you could stop your "official complaints, and your online rants, as well as your constant bemoaning of projects, ideas, people, consultants, in town" (cause I don't care about Aspen)...I think over time...and a short period of time, you would regain yoru professional respect. People tend to have short memories these days. However, I don't think I will have to worry about that, because your puffed up pride and arrogance will get in the way of your ability to play nicely with people.

KU_Dude 6 years, 4 months ago

Dear Sven/Cool/Spiderman,What little respect some people may have for you is probably completely gone after reading your many comments that all over the LJW web site.If anyone ever asks me what architect I'd hire, your name would never come up because of your many negative/name calling posts.If I were you, I'd stop posting here forever and bite my tongue if I ever even thought about doing so again.Good luck in the future.KU_Dude

Pro_Counsel 6 years, 4 months ago

So did you (except in your case it was 'her' instead of 'his'); now like I said, play nice, both of you.

Pro_Counsel 6 years, 4 months ago

Both of you play nice before we have to separate you.First off, it's 'he,' not 'she.' Second, I wasn't trying to make or break anyone's point - I just answered a simple question with my personal opinion. Third, while I haven't gone back and re-read all of your posts ... frankly, this isn't that important to me, as I said I was just stating an opinion, which is what I thought these message boards were for ... but it seems I've agreed at least in part with both of you: Certain professions need to be regulated by credentialing, and architects ... in my opinion ... are one of those that ought to include a discipline-specific degree.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

The thing you have to realize Pro_Counsel is that spiderman has log/splinter syndrome. He cannot see the same things that he does, but it sure is easy for him to see them in other people. Once he figures out his own faults, this world will be a lot better place. Thank you for continuing to make a bit more clear, what many on this site have been trying to say for a long time.

n8n2010 6 years, 4 months ago

Give it a rest Sven. You'll never be a Rockhill.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

spiderman (Anonymous) says: well not dolph, as they say that simply is your opinion.three years as an HRC member, and three years as a local church trustee speak of a somewhat different story.which advisory boards and non-profits have you helped ?----------------Sven -1. Your reply has nothing to do with my (8/4)8:36 am post, but I will give you the benefit of doubt...since you seem to be replying to the part about "bettering the community." We know what your service on HRC looked like...and I wouldn't say that we are better off from that involvement. But thank you for the time you served in that capacity. I can't imagine that you were the "Happy Go Lucky" trustee member at your church, since your behavior here reflects completely opposite. 2. This isn't about how many boards I've served on. Again, you avoid the question/suggestion. Although my involvement is signficant, and many have benefited, again, this isn't about me...furthermore, I'm not the one flinging turds at developers, professors, business owners and more. That duty has fallen on your shoulders, and that is why you are held to a different level of proof.3. My "opinion" as you put it was actually pointing out ways you could avoid future abuse, and possibly pick up new clients, jobs, projects etc. But you can't see that, because your blinders only allow you to read what you think you see.Your behavior and "whack-job" postings...that's right "whack-job" - if you are going to label me a "wing nut" it only seems appropriate (for purposes of clarification) that your posts are just that - whack-job - are what back you into corners that you cannot get out of. Everyone has the right to express their opinion. Everyone has a right to support this or that. Don't be offended when you post wild accusations, or make claims and you are asked to back them up. You never do, and you change the subject. You are only interested in self-promotion and self recognition. I am surprised that you don't have phylacteries tied to your body, so that all can see how important you are.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

Once again Sven, you fail to see the point. I have stated many times in this thread...and the other one which you have vommited all over (Firm Pays...) that the Kansas Board of Technical Professions is the appropriate regulatory body that oversees licensed individuals in technical disciplines. Yet, you keep driving people to poor ol' Trudy Aron. Leave her alone. She's probably as tired of you as we are.

KU_Dude 6 years, 4 months ago

spiderman (Anonymous) says: thanks for the advice KU DUDE: your conduct and your own posts have always been just like a UN ambassador.after being so misquoted by certain others / how are we supposed to agree - you yourself have made quite offensive and harsh posts yet you want to 'discipline others':. we have exchanged some barbs but i never attacked you - it was always the other way around so KU DUDE - go swallow your own pill !-----------You've attacked me many times in personal emails, just not here where everyone can see.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

Here is an upcoming AIA seminar in Overland Park. Maybe spiderman should attend...though the instructors probably don't meet his criteria for being properly educated or licensed...Agenda8:00 am 8:30 am Registration 8:30 am 9:15 am AIA Documents Overview and History - G. William Quatman, FAIA, Esq. What Is the AIA? The AIA Family of Documents AIA's Approach to Contracts The Various AIA Forms Available 9:15 am 10:15 am AIA's New Forms - G. William Quatman, FAIA, Esq. The 2004 Design-Build Series The 2007 AIA Document Changes 10:15 am 10:25 am Break 10:25 am 11:30 am AIA A201 General Conditions - G. Edgar 'Eddie' James, Esq. 11:30 am 12:00 pm AIA Front-End Contracts: Owner-Contractor Forms - G. Edgar 'Eddie' James, Esq. 12:00 pm 1:00 pm Lunch (On Your Own) 1:00 pm 2:30 pm Change Clause or Termination Clauses Under AIA A201 General Conditions - Stephen R. Miller 2:30 pm 2:40 pm Break 2:40 pm 4:15 pm Construction Delay Claims - David P. Streiler, P.G. AIA A201 Provisions Claims for Additional Time Claims for Additional Money Avoiding Claims and Disputes 4:15 pm 4:30 pm Questions and Answers - G. Edgar 'Eddie' James, Esq., Stephen R. Miller, G. William Quatman, FAIA, Esq., and David P. Streiler, P.G.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

"spiderham, spiderhamdoes whatever a spiderham can..."

tolawdjk 6 years, 4 months ago

I am currently licensed by the BoTP to practice engineering in Kansas. Currently I do not practice in Kansas, but I do maintain my license as the opportunity does present itself.Is it in the public's interest that I do so? Highly doubtful. None of what I do would ever effect the public directly.However, it is a requirement of the BoTP that should I ever "practice" within the state, be it however small or part time, that I be licensed to do so.So yes, Rockhill should have a license. Does it necessarily make sense, no, but then making sense was never a requirement.What does make sense is the LJW banning these to clusterflupks from thier two person bickerfest.