Letters to the Editor

When’s parade?

April 30, 2008

To the editor:

Congratulations to the national champion KU Debate Team. While this incredible accomplishment was sinking into my being, observations and concerns started flooding my mind.

First, I regretted not seeing one of these 22 games, I mean debates, on television. Immediately, I Googled ESPN for a schedule of the replay of at least the final four debates. I found nothing. Next, I Googled Sports Illustrated - surely they will be publishing a commemorative edition with action photos. Again, nothing.

Second, I noticed that our team is replete with underclassmen. Will the agents be contacting them? What will this do for the team's graduation statistics? Will the National Collegiate Debater Association sanction KU, limiting the number of recruits in the future?

I trust that the J-W will be following this story.

Third, my thoughts turned to their extraordinary coach, Coach Hovden. Two out of three, an unbelievable accomplishment. Rumors are flying around Lawrence concerning coach "H's" future. Will coach "H's" alma mater be offering him a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract? Will Chancellor Hemenway offer coach "H" a multi-year contract at $2.3 million per year? Will coach "H" demand a new debate team workout facility?

By the way, when is the parade scheduled?

Walt Kihm,
Lawrence

Comments

christy kennedy 6 years, 11 months ago

The media has let up on Brittney Spears for a while. Now they're on to Rev. Wright and Miley Cyrus. Perhaps if one of the KU Debate Team members posed semi-nude with and underage . . . anyway. Huge congratulations to the team.

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 11 months ago

What a card you are Walt!!!First, since you are a debate fan, one would think you would understand that debate is not defined as a sport. Thus ESPN and SI would be the wrong places to look for the competition (though ESPN does broadcast the National Spelling Bee), perhaps lawyers weekly or C-Span would be better places to look.Second, I would hope that some of our underclassmen would be approached by employers. They obviously have something to offer in the professional market. Maybe some Wall Street firms will snatch them up for at least a well paid internship. As for the effect on our team's graduation statistics, I'm sure all of these fine students are making the necessary academic progress such that their early entry into the workforce would not impact the team negatively. As for limiting the number of recruits, I'm sure coach H (or his successor) could find a couple of walk-ons up on the hill to fill out the roster should such restrictions be enforced.Now on to coach H, I believe the university should indeed pay him commensurate with the amount of revenue he and the debate team generate for the school. If he needs new classrooms for his team to practice in, build them.Finally, the parade. I might be mistaken, but I'm certain I saw the entire team driving down Mass. Street within the last week. I about missed them though because of the crowds on the street.

mom_of_three 6 years, 11 months ago

Take_a_letter_maria,niceBut I do congratulate the debate team. Did see a video example of a debate, and don't know if I could sit there and listen to it. I think one must have an acquired taste.

Confrontation 6 years, 11 months ago

Money brought in by KU Men's Basketball Team and Football team = MillionsMoney brought in by KU's Debate Team = Negative $$Hearing pathetic debate supporters whine about unfair treatment = Priceless

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 11 months ago

mom_of_threeThank you.And I do regret that I neglected to congratulate the Debate Team on their accomplishments. Well done gentlemen (there were no ladies listed with this year's team.)

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 11 months ago

One additional side note for Walt.It is Coach H, but the last name is Harris. At least you could get that correct if you are going to have a little rant about the team not getting enough attention.

fu7il3 6 years, 11 months ago

I knew someone would "take da bait" on that joke.