Letters to the Editor

Churches differ

April 30, 2008

To the editor:

The Fundamentalist Latter Day Saint church has received a lot of publicity lately, so has the Latter-day Saints, or Mormon, church of which former presidential candidate Mitt Romney is a member. I hope everyone will understand that these two churches are not the same church. Although each of them traces its beginnings to Joseph Smith, they are very different from each other. The LDS church stopped the practice of polygamy in 1890. Members of the LDS church are offended when people of other faiths fail to distinguish them from the FLDS church, just like a Protestant might feel offended if they were called Catholic.

Matt Miles,
Lecompton

Comments

ksdivakat 5 years, 11 months ago

mancityfooty ..........you are absolutely correct in your assurtion that mormons do get out and knock on doors and they do talk to people about their faith and you are absolutely right.....the rest of christians, or religious organizations could all take a lesson in that as well.Also, mormons are good people, I was once seperated from my husband for abotu 6 months and in that time I had alot of things go wrong with the house...go figure, anyway, oneday as my kitchen fawcets were erupting and water was shppting everywhere, they knocked on my door, Im ashamed to say I flung the door open and began to scream that I didnt have time, I was in the middle of a mess and was seperated from my husband and was trying to figure this out on my own.The men asked me if they could come in and tale a look at it, not only did they shut the waterfall off, but they stayed and fixed it!!!! Now who really does that out of the kindness of their heart anymore??Anyway, while im not mormon and not a convert, I absolutely respect them, and as I mentioned above, we could all take some lessons on their views on life and family and this world might not be so bad.

DrDryerThanDust 5 years, 11 months ago

Until the other day, I had not logged onto this forum to check out the articles. I have found these conversations to be thought provoking, interesting, and some time commical in their context. I know lots of Mormons and have long drawn out debates with them. They are interesting to talk to. I am not a Mormon, I do not agree with them, however, one thing I can tell you is that main stream Mormonism does not condone what was done by the FLDS Church there in Texas. They are a radical off shoot who went about to establish their own way because the disagreed.

Corey Williams 5 years, 11 months ago

"...mormons denounced polygamy a century ago..."They denounced it because it kept Utah from being made a state. Not because they changed their theology. And if they did change their belief system, then was the original actually handed down from god? And where are these plates that Joe translated? I'm not particularly interested in any religion, but mormons are one of the few that do practice what they preach. In the past 16-17 years, they are the only believers who have at least tried to talk to me about their religion. Where are all the other faiths that are supposed to bring everyone in the world to a belief in their god?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

RedwoodCoast (Anonymous) says: What's this about the LSD church?"Marion writes:You made me inhale my coffee.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 11 months ago

The FLDSers are actually following God's laws handed down to Moses in Exodus. We concentrate on the Big 10, but God gave Moses many laws governing slaves and multiple wives.Read it for yourself to hear God's word on polygamy.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 11 months ago

What's this about the LSD church?

Roadkill_Rob 5 years, 11 months ago

Why does scripture add "th" to random verbs?

an_actual_mormon 5 years, 11 months ago

I have a suggestion for anyone that wants to know what Mormons believe - ask a Mormon. There are four Mormon congregations in Lawrence - you probably know someone who belongs to one. If you don't know any Mormons, check out www.mormon.org or www.lds.org. If you have questions specifically about Mormons and polygamy, check out http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/clarifying-polygamy-confusion. If you really want to know what Joseph Smith taught, read the Book of Mormon, the translation of which was one of the crowning achievements of his ministry. Here are a few excerpts relative to comments that have been posted on this forum:"...He [the Lord] doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile. -2 Nephi 26:33"...as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved. -2 Nephi 25:20"And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another. -Mosiah 4:21

ksdivakat 5 years, 11 months ago

vpete69....mormons denounced polygamy a century ago.....these are radical drifters who put their own spin on mormon ideas.I am not mormon myself, but I have friends who are and I have been in thei ward, and I can tell you that we all, christians, catholics, even athiests can take a lesson on family from mormons.....not the FLDS.....but mormons, they hold their family in high regard, and life is about family for them.....but Im sure most mormons would be offended at the fact that everyone thinks they are into plural marriages and that just is not the case...

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 11 months ago

And where does the RLDS fit in in all of this?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

"...just like a Protestant might feel offended if they were called Catholic."So... which one are you comparing FLDS to in your little analogy?

vpete69 5 years, 11 months ago

"Hi. My name is Joseph Smith, and today I am going to make up a religion. In my made up religion it is acceptabe, and sometimes forced that men have multiple wives. It is also acceptable to marry children and have sex with them. They are your wives after all. I am also going to create a 'law' that prohibits any black man from becoming a priest in our sacred, made up religion. I think black people are dark souls that god has punished by marking them with their darkness, and sending them back to earth to wander without hope of salvation.I really like movies about ancient civilizations and think that their 'sacrificing' looks cool. So we're going to do that in my made up religion. Jesus is our savior and died for our sins. But I am going to make up a list of sins that Jesus didn't die for, and force people to spill their own blood as an offering to heaven. Cool.Another important part of my religion is consecration. I am going to force my members to give up ownership of their property to me. They may continue to live there and manage the property. But any money generated by the property must come to me. I always wanted to be a landlord, now I can.Anyone wanting to join my made up religion must send me a check for $250, and remit 30% of all their income to my church." =================Cool religion.

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

"One group thinks crackers and wine are human flesh."Are you saying they're not?! Darnit. Now I have to take back my accusations of all Catholics being cannibals.

WHY 5 years, 11 months ago

One group thinks you should marry children.One group thinks you should not have sex until you're 20.One group thinks crackers and wine are human flesh.One group thinks your soul is in your blood so you should not have a transfusion.I think they are all crazy.