Letters to the Editor

New land grab

April 23, 2008

To the editor:

When I first moved to Lawrence, I thought it was one of the most beautiful cities I had ever been in. The city limits were Sixth Street, Barker Avenue, 19th Street and the KU campus. Then the land grab began. I was about to purchase land out in the country and moaned to my sainted brother about the cost. He stated, "Bud, it is cheap. You have to remember that God quit making land a long time ago, but we just keep making people."

Developers have not learned that cows do not graze good on concrete; wheat nor corn will grow very well on asphalt. A new land grab is under way in the county neighborhood where I live. It does not border the city, and yet the city wishes to annex thousands of acres of lush pasture grass. It is part of two rural water districts, and neither has the capacity to support a commercial development out there. The city does not connect to it, so it will not have a sewage disposal facility. The developer was turned down by the county government and the planning commissioner knows it is outside the 20-year plan, so he gets the city to consider annexing it. This is against all principles of city annexation.

I am sorry, but I can't stop thinking of my great-grandchildren and even further generations needing a place to grow food. They, like cattle, do not fare too well eating cement and drinking oil.

Bud Nation,

Lawrence

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

"Whatever. Why are liberals so afraid of death (specifically, their own death that is)?"If it's not such a big deal, you first, OK? Time's a wastin'.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

LuckyMan: I have no idea how you got liberal vs. conservative out of Bozo's reply....I've been accused of making many issues into a political showdown but your logic is tortured at best.I agree with Bozo: your note is nihilistic and on a different level than what the original letter to the editor was about. The author was talking about concerns for the next 40-80 years and you're talking about the ultimate endpoint of humanity centuries from now. Not sure how the two fit.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

Put it to the voters in the spring city commission election. It is THEIR tax dollars at stake. This projects smells of bad planning.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Centuries from now? Didn't you hear, Jason2007, the world is going to end in 2012. ; )

maxc 6 years, 8 months ago

There is a difference between having a long range plan and being swayed by a developer with their own agenda. The area in question is not in the long range development plan for Lawrence. Sure, people will make money off development, that is okay. But the area in question is totally disconnected from Lawrence in all ways. Why is the city/county even considering this plan? It has taken decades to fill the north Lawrence industrial park. There are plans to build another industrial area near the Lawrence airport. That actually makes more sense. I think the plan by the Farmers Turnpike is pretty far-fetched.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

So, I guess the survival of the species (and other species) will depend on how many of the rest of us are as suicidal as you are, lucky_man.

jafs 6 years, 8 months ago

That, unfortunately, is the big problem.As long as there are sufficient numbers of people who don't care, they can ruin things for the rest of us.That's why, although I would prefer for people to be mindful and responsible on their own, I think we need legislation.Either that, or find somewhere to put the people who don't care so they can destroy themselves but not the rest of us.

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

Do you folks seriously think this is going to get developed anytime soon? I think they want it zoned for the future (years and years from now) and that's it. Lawrence stopped growing a few years ago.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

"Maybe a good old fashion, full-blown, grand-scale, world wara world war that dwarfs the sum total of all previous wars would make you loons happy."So maybe you aren't suicidal-- perhaps just plain homicidal.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

"Must I remind you, there are just too many people."I agree. But if you're suggesting we all start checking out, I think you should set us a sterling example and go first. I'm right behind you. Really.

georgeofwesternkansas 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe you could greese the wheels like the devloper has? Maybe if you don't like your new neighbors you could move? Good news is your property value may skyrocket.

daddax98 6 years, 8 months ago

"C02 is going to become the dominating gas on the planet, it will kill off everything. Plants, animals:everything"It has been a long time since I took biology, but don't plants take in CO2 and release O2?

drake 6 years, 8 months ago

Isn't Bud Nation the father of Yellow House's very own Carrie Neighbors?

georgeofwesternkansas 6 years, 8 months ago

No dad, c02 is bad for everything.once it is generated it stays right where it was made. It does not go anywhere. If it is made in kansas it stays here.

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

I just read that for the first time, the life expectancy has dropped in predominately democratic areas of the United States. Bery interesting.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

when CO2 is outlawed, then only outlaws will breathe!what a joke, Merrill says put this to a vote! ha-ha-ha. his plc/gra buddies when they were in charge, they fought tooth and nail against actually voting on the 'smoking ban.' they in their liberal elitism would never in a hundred years consider putting the construction of roundabouts up to a public vote! what a jokewhat is not a joke is: Merrill has called the terrorists in Iraq blowing up our troops "patriots" cheering them. he wishes for enforced blackouts to enforce power conservation. he thinks broken streets are good as passive traffic calming devices. speak up to get him, richard heckler off of the traffic safety commission! he helped put in the roundies. ***and, I see Boozo is down to his usual rant level. no substance, just vage smear again. it is revealing to note that he is a vegetarian; apparently his brain has been deprived of proper proteins for many many years. very sad example.

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 8 months ago

I am on one of the water districts mentioned. I am totally against this project, In a rare collusion with the county commissioners and the planning commission. I don't like any kind of commission, to me the word is equal to crooks. Thank you, Lynn

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 8 months ago

I thought the north and south poles reversed their polarities in 2012....Brigadoon.....I love that play/movie