Letters to the Editor

Unsung heroes

April 17, 2008

To the editor:

Four hundred seventy-nine thousand dollars, almost a half-million dollars! I was shocked when I read in the April 11 Journal-World that the St. Patrick's Day parades over the years have contributed this sum of money to benefit the community, particularly in areas where the community hasn't been able to help itself.

Mind you, this money is raised by individuals who are unpaid. The organization has no paid executives. It has no paid employees. Most of you probably don't personally know many of those involved.

And, strangely enough, this event was not organized by the so-called movers and shakers of Lawrence. No official "agency" had anything to do with it. As a matter of fact, city officials at one time refused to allow the parade to travel down Massachusetts Street. (Probably they were afraid some rowdy would cause a scene in our pristine downtown).

By coincidence, I was involved in planning that first parade. Since I was a lawyer, my assignment was to stand next to the police chief to remedy a problem if one arose. I donned my green tux and carried out my assignment. There wasn't a peep of a problem. History shows us the rest of the story.

I ask you these questions:

1. Why aren't these ordinary citizens of Lawrence, and nameless others, treated as the heroes they are?

2. Where - and why - are the rest of you hiding from comparable efforts?

Ed Collister,

Lawrence

Comments

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 8 months ago

"Why aren't these ordinary citizens of Lawrence, and nameless others, treated as the heroes they are?" Is that why they do it, Ed? To be treated like heroes? Funny, I thought it was about being charitable.

jafs 6 years, 8 months ago

The point is, why aren't ordinary people who do extraordinary things recognized?We treat sports figures as heroes.Go figure.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

Consumer1, you like to hear yourself talk, don't you? Take your hate and vile language someplace else...maybe a close look at your attitude will reveal why you're single again....Reported...

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

"Reported..."What does this comment mean, Jason? Does it mean you reported consumer1 for his comments? If so you can take your whiny a* someplace else. We don't take kindly to narcs and whiners on these boards. If you don't have enough cajones to read and post on the message boards without having your delicate sensibilities offended and feeling the need to whine to the LJW staff, then pss off somewhere. Everyone gets to post an opinion here, whether it's popular or not. D-bag!

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

I don't care what you think, acg. Only those who are frightened are worried about someone reporting them to the "authorities". Reported you too.Take your filthy language and hate to huffingtonpost.com or dailykos.com. It's sad that a site dedicated to journalism has turned into a playground for such hatemongers.You will never see me degrade myself to your level or the level of others by hurtling insults. I believe we should have a debate on the issues. When a person is "losing" a debate, they go on the offense -- just like a cornered animal.

ahhs 6 years, 8 months ago

Thank you for the positive comments about the parade committee. To learn more about the St. Patrick's Day Parade please, visit the web site. http://www.lawrencestpatricksdayparade.com/

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh, acg, just thought I'd re-acquaint you with the TOS:http://www2.ljworld.com/site/rules/Since I know most people on this site don't actually read the Constitution they probably also don't have much of an inclination to read the site rules either. I believe profanity is prohibited. And, regardless of what you say about people getting to post even if their opinion is not popular, this is a privately-operated website not a street corner protected by Freedom of Speech. You get to post according to what the LJW says you get to post.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

well we attend the parade and donate to it or pay to be in it so I would say that is a thank you. us the people would not do that if behind the scene people did not do what they do. It might not be a full page thank you but if you are there or are in the parade I would say that is a very good thankyou for all the hard work.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

Jason not taking sides but by responding you are kinda putting yourself on that level. Just drop it and do not respond that works.

pusscanthropus 6 years, 8 months ago

They aren't treated as heros because of the St Pat's tradition of drinking and the Flamingo Club is involved! JMHO

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Snivel, snivel, whine, whine. Grow up you big baby. Man, my threshold for pasty, whiny, geeky little freaks is very small. :) And no prob, consumer1. I'm not sure what your beef with this dude is about, but whatever it's about you have the right to voice/type it without having to worry about some whiny little pencil necked freak who probably got beat up every day in school which is why he's a sniveling little d bag now. I can just picture what his life's been about already "mommy!, daddy!, teacher!, bus driver! policeman! bossman! whine whine, that person said yada yada and now I'm going to cry". Puleaze!

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

ACG: Actually, I own you....in so many ways.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

MommaEffortX2: I can see why you'd think that but my crusade is to get these guys banned. They spew hate and venom and I'd love nothing more than to see them kicked. They've taken the bait where I've said nothing incendiary but they've reacted with a pure, visceral hate.I've had it with journalistic sites being hijacked by extremists and if all of us stood up, we'd clean up these places for our kids. Personally, I won't even let me my kids go to newspaper sites because of this trash. It's a sad day when children can't read the news without being forced to see the unadulterated hate and filth coming out of these people.

ilovelucy 6 years, 8 months ago

Regardless of what was written, it's great to see the parade committee recognized for what it does for children's charities in Douglas County. For years, the committee has done good works and is just now being recognized for their efforts.If any of you out there want to have a good time and raise funds for charities in DG County, think about joining up with the committee next year!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

indeed congratulations to the st. pat's workers. this year was $44K divided b between two charities, both deserving. it is incredible how effective they are. ***I don't care what you think, acg. Only those who are frightened are worried about someone reporting them to the "authorities". Reported you too.whiney...not improving anything. complaining to the "authorities?" really. most of all jason's missives seem to point to himself, egocentrically pointing out how he's such a crusader for truth, justice, and the american way. right. right. we got it. now, go somewhere else to prop yourself up. ya' gonna complain to the "authorities about me too?

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

Bearded Gnome: No, actually I like you....

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

"I've had it with journalistic sites being hijacked by extremists and if all of us stood up, we'd clean up these places for our kids." Jason"If anyone wants a good dose of irony, click on Jason's name and read his past posts on the ljworld."The Original Bob: I wish I had more for you to read....thanks for evangelizing my posts and promoting my material! Man you guys are so predicable....walking right into where I want you and getting your dandruff up...far too easy.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

man o man my head hurts enough you guys driveing me crazy... nope already there but my head does hurt so I going to quit reading.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

Bearded Gnome: No, actually I like you:.--jason--okay well thanks I guess. if you like me on here, then you might learn something from me. I approach things with a sense of humor, and don't presume to be some kind of policeman. under some threads I have seen people like me described in amazingly bigoted ways...that is the crazy left fringe people. I've replied with humor and truth, instead of invective. the most important thing Jason is to be responsible for your own posts, pay attention to the kind of tone your post has, especially to others who read. there are many many more who read these without posting. I agree with you regarding Huffingtonpost and dailykos. those are the fringies. if you live in lawrence, many of your fellow posters are your neighbors; or, they used to live here, maybe have a family connection. now, if you set yourself up to try to police the posts, you don't look very good. I have marked suggest removal on some offensive posts. and as to profanity, I usually write it with special characters, i.e. he||, or d----d. you are correct that some people post on here with language that's not very nice. you ever take a walk down mass st. with your ears open?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm not seeing a problem with Jason2007's 15 posts; eight or nine I could have written myself. today, he has taken up policemanship. I hope he drops it because his other posts are fine and he represents aconservative perspective. btw jason, consumer1 has contributed positively to many discussions as has ACG. hope this helps.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 8 months ago

You got it TheOriginalBob. The check will be in the mail....Bearded_gnome: My major beef today was the language. I'm no prude but there has to be a limit at some point. Checking out now....

Buggie7 6 years, 8 months ago

I dont know about anyone else here but Jason says he is concerned for out children. Hmmm dont remember the last time I let my children read the ljworld forum and most adults on here Im sure are the same way. Kids dont care about these forums and they are away to blow off steam about the subject at hand whether be positive or negative thats what a forum.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

dear TOB,wasn't intending to slight you. in his original policemanship jason focused on them so I did in my post to him. if you try to be a policeman on here you just make yourself a target for durission.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

well, aren't you gracious TOB, thanks. in the past three weeks, I've felt better than I have in many months, thank God, thanks for asking. Mrs. Gnome, not so good. elder statesman?" wow "heh, you kids get off my lawn!"

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

Jason,If you are worried about the language on this thread, then you better stay off LJWorld.com. consumer1 was really calm compared to some posts I have read. And don't go to KCstar.com. The language can get pretty ugly when talking about MU, KU, and KSU. have a good night gentlemen. i need to focus on my research