Letters to the Editor

In perspective

April 17, 2008

To the editor:

Some folks might think the University of Kansas should rescind my degree because I'm not speaking like a good Jayhawk. Although I don't begrudge the team a parade or a stadium welcome, I'd like to add a different perspective to the distinction of having national champions living in our hometown.

On the morning after the game, I saw a very happy Jayhawk and asked who his god was. Predictably, he said "Bill Self." I'm thrilled for Self and his team, but God? I don't think so. And I think Self would cringe at that title himself. Bill is not God, and the alma mater is not the call to worship. After all, let's look 1,000 years ahead. Who will remember (without a reference book) who won the championship in 2008? None of the fans or players or coaches will be alive then, so let's reserve the "worship" for something eternal.

Fan response has been that this is the "happiest" they've ever been. I thought that was reserved for things like your wedding day, or the birth of a new baby. On the other hand, if - basketball gods forbid - KU had lost, would that have been the "saddest" day of your life? I hope your life doesn't ever get any worse than a basketball team losing a game.

Enjoy the victory, but be sure your ladder isn't leaning against the wrong wall.

Verna Froese,

Lawrence

Comments

BrianR 6 years, 8 months ago

You've killed off a lot of brain cells in your day, haven't you Verna?

swhite 6 years, 8 months ago

People say anything in the heat of the moment. If you are a fan of the Hawks, then you're proud of the accomplishments they've made. I'm sure the person didn't really mean Bill Self is God. You can't choose anyone's God, you can pray they know who God really is. Just remember everyone was very happy. Enjoy the moment.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

If you knew the answer you were going to get by asking a Jayhawk, then why ask the question. And now you are criticizing it. And I am sure lots of people would have called Coach Self a "god" for that game. But how many people would take it literally?

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 8 months ago

Asking a person who is their god is a personal question. I think you got the answer you deserved.

jafs 6 years, 8 months ago

Of course, this letter seems a bit off.But, there may be a good point in there somewhere - our society, and especially towns like Lawrence, seem to have elevated sports to a rather high position.There is an inordinate amount of money spent on athletic departments, salaries are quite high, and many people seem to care much more about athletics than academics.How about a parade if/when students at KU excel academically? After all, I thought the point of a university was to educate students.And, when people call a coach their god, even in the heat of the moment, it makes me wonder.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

Verna needs to relax a little. Asking a fan such a question right after the big victory is likely to get this response. I'm sure the person responding would agree that Clapton is god, if not caught up in the moment.

pusscanthropus 6 years, 8 months ago

All great teachers have told seekers of truth that the way to God is to "Know Thy Self"! And, thanks be to God, we have our very own Self right here in Lawrence, Kansas. Blessed Be

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

I seriously doubt this woman even asked anyone that question on the day after the game. She's most likely making this up from her cave that is covered in bible verses. If she did ask someone, then I bet she's went door-to-door that next morning, shoving her book in everyone's face. I sure wish this story had a happier ending, such as: "On the morning after the game, I saw a very happy Jayhawk and asked who his god was. Predictably, he puked on me and told me to F-off."

pusscanthropus 6 years, 8 months ago

All great spiritual teachers have taught that to know God, one must "Know Thy Self." Well, we are so lucky that we have a Self right here, worthy of worship!Blessed Be!

pusscanthropus 6 years, 8 months ago

Didn't mean to post the same thing twice. My bad.

paavopetie 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes, we as a society tend to elevate sports to a surreal level. But so did the ancient Greeks with their creation of the Olympic Games. It's a lot better than the ancient Romans, whose idea of sport was gladiator-type violence.Also, who are you to say that Bill Self is not a god?Luke 17:21Neither shall they say, Lo, it is here!' orLo, it is there!' For behold, the Kingdom of God is within you."

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 8 months ago

Equating a love of sports to a love of God is a bit of a stretch. I believe they can co-exist. Much like evolution and creationism. lol

jafs 6 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self may have the kingdom of heaven within him, as we all would if that verse is correct. That's very different than "worshipping" coaches and sports figures.The ancient Greeks had a society which included the celebration of physical fitness and competitive sports, but also much more than that.Their philosophy, literature, art and study of science were exemplary, as well as their democratic politics.If American society were in fact more similar to ancient Greece, I would be much happier.

Terry Jacobsen 6 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe I just wasted 15 minutes reading all of this.....

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

lol-me too tj, but i have to admit-i laughed&it felt good. ;) esp. pussan-whatevs, can't recall the whole name, lol-11:06ish post! damn that was good stuff! :)