Letters to the Editor

Food quality

April 12, 2008

To the editor:

Saturday morning, I had another bad experience trying to take the fat off a chicken that was supposed to be organic and free range.

The three-pound chicken had one-fourth cup of fat on it. There was one and three-quarters cups of meat, so if it had been given hormones, the label said the opposite. I paid $6.77 plus tax for that chicken. Maybe someone can tell me what I paid for the chicken that I actually ate. If you have ever watched someone clean wild game, this is not difficult to figure out.

Who is responsible for America's declining lack of accountability when it comes to the food supply? It's no different if you are trying to find a decent-tasting peach in the summertime. Unless you have your own peach tree in your backyard or raise your own chickens, you can only rely on the integrity of the seller. The mistrust the American consumers have toward those who are in the business of supplying bad food, also has an enormous cost, whether those businesses understand this or not.

I did not recognize the label, and if I call the 800 number to complain, I doubt that it is even worth my time and trouble. It is very aggravating, to say the least, what companies can put on the grocery shelves these days. My usual solution is to soak the chicken in salt water and cross my fingers before eating it.

Diana Matthews,
Lawrence

Comments

igby 7 years, 2 months ago

Freebirds eat a lot of bugs. It's good protein, However, in the wintertime, they are couped up because of the weather. They gain weight because they are less active.

planetwax 7 years, 2 months ago

Consider cutting meat out of your diet. Save a chicken!

oldvet 7 years, 2 months ago

Chicken fat isn't bad for you... have you ever seen a fat, slow fox?

jumpin_catfish 7 years, 2 months ago

Smart chicken is air cooled instead of water cooling which means smart chickens don't take a bath in the same water as the hundred of other chickens being processed and they don't absorb the additional water. I think it just taste better. That organic label doesn't necessarily mean safer, healthier, or tastier. Its called marketing to the gullible. Here's a little something to think about, if you mandated all our meat production to free rangeorganic we would soon be out of food. Modern meat production, while not without issues, is why we have the quantity and quality of meat we have in this country.

cowboy 7 years, 2 months ago

two issues here , the labeling on natural / organic and the testing of the claims , secondly the slowness of the commercial markets to move toward healthier production methods. Take Laura's Lean Beef , Lie , tests showed their meat to have up to four times the fat content the label stated. They are not grass raised beef , they are heavy muscled charolais and simmenthal cattle. It does not cost any more to feed natural feeds as opposed to the concoctions the commercial cattle industry comes up , but you do need a pasture instead of a large manure pile on a hillside , and with the genetics available now the implants could be done away with.But why do the natural / organic producers think their beef is worth so much. Marketing ploy and large piles of hooey. i raise cattle and seems pretty bad that the producer gets 1.25 a lb live weight and all the middle guys get 3-8 dollars a pound. As the retail prices go up the producer prices don't.And chicken is just a ripoff to begin with , at dillons yesterday , 5.00 a pound. Give me a break. there are two villains here , the organic industry ripoffs and the commercial industry being extremely slow to adopt new methods.buy local , get a freezer and save yourself some money and get excellent products be it meat , fowl , or vegetables. Ask your grandma , she'll rememeber how to do it !

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 2 months ago

"buy local , get a freezer and save yourself some money and get excellent products be it meat , fowl , or vegetables. Ask your grandma , she'll rememeber how to do it !"Best advice on this whole thread.

BrianR 7 years, 2 months ago

I think we should raise taxes and promote free-range chicken fitness.

labmonkey 7 years, 2 months ago

Amen Multi. Down with Tyson. I always try to buy Smart Chicken.

LogicMan 7 years, 2 months ago

Try Soylent Green -- I hear it's sustainably organic, but lacking somewhat in taste and texture.

wifemotherslave 7 years, 2 months ago

I routinely buy the smart chicken and if you buy it at **eckers it cost the same as all the other chicken at other stores. Of course that is the only meat I will buy there, but the price is good enough to bring me back there every couple of weeks to stock up.

angeleyes 7 years, 2 months ago

yes these companies lie in order to make the extra bucks. go figure your paying more for thier lies and bones then any thing else do what we do buy the 10 pound bag cut off our own fat lot of meat on them too. and pull off our own skin and walaa. you have yummy soup or fried chicken