Archive for Friday, April 4, 2008

Stewart hurts knee during open practice

April 4, 2008, 1:54 p.m. Updated April 4, 2008, 2:22 p.m.

Kansas guard Rodrick Stewart calls attention to his right knee as he lays on the baseline Friday, April 4, 2008 at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio.

Kansas guard Rodrick Stewart (5) pounds his fist on the ground as coach Bill Self and trainers tend to Stewart's right knee. Stewart fractured his right kneecap during a dunk drill, ending his season.

— KU senior guard Rodrick Stewart was wheeled off the Alamodome court Friday afternooon during the Jayhawks' open practice after fracturing his knee cap.

Stewart's knee was covered with a brace, and KU coach Bill Self said that surgery would be performed once the team got back to Lawrence.

"I'm having a hard time dealing with it," Self said. "He's a fifth-year senior. He'll never have a chance to run out of the tunnel at the Final Four again. But he'll delay the surgery until next weeek so he can be with his teammates and support them here."

The injury occurred when Stewart was taking off for a dunk. He was then on the ground in pain for about 10 minutes.

On the season, Stewart has appeared in 33 games, averaging 2.9 points and 2.3 rebounds per game. For more on this story, log back onto KUSports.com.

Comments

repaste 7 years, 3 months ago

sucks for rod. Like chalmers comment " the team will surround him with our love"

simplykristib 7 years, 3 months ago

missmagoo 7 years, 3 months ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take_a_letter_Maria 7 years, 3 months ago

Archie Marshall anyone?At least Archie made it into the game though.Totally sucks for Rod though.

Evan Ridenour 7 years, 3 months ago

He was always so dependable on the defensive end.That is really too bad for him and the team.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

simplykristib (Anonymous) says:"I feel bad for Rod. :( I hope that the unfortunate injury gives the team the motivation to win it all for Rod! Go Jayhawks!"Wait, why do I suddenly hear the theme from Chariots of Fire all around me?

BeeBee3 7 years, 3 months ago

I suddenly hear "Have I Told You Lately.. that my knee hurts" - Rod Stewart

BeeBee3 7 years, 3 months ago

But seriously- too bad for Rod- Win it for Rod!

tigerforlife 7 years, 3 months ago

This is bad, bad news...I wouldn't wish a knee injury on anybody. And in a crummy shoot-around a day before the game...Get well soon Roderick!!!

julienstockwell 7 years, 3 months ago

Aww, that sucks... And at the worst time of the year!

alm77 7 years, 3 months ago

BeeBee, shame on you for making me laugh so hard!! - I can't stand it when they call him that. That's too bad. I hope it all turns out alright.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 3 months ago

Bad way to end a career. Plus he has to rehab when he should finish school or be going into the job market.

igby 7 years, 3 months ago

Jumping sweet potato pie with hot sauce!

ralphralph 7 years, 3 months ago

At least he was hurt doing something important ...a dunkfest?Yeeouch!