Archive for Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Demolition for hotel project to go forward

April 2, 2008

City leaders vote to subsidize part of Oread Inn project

Demolition on a property at 12th and Louisiana will likely begin next week for the new Oread Inn. Enlarge video

Demolition of buildings that used to house the Yello Sub sandwich shop and the college tavern The Crossing can begin next week after city commissioners on Tuesday gave more approvals for a seven-story hotel on the site.

Commissioners unanimously approved a pair of public financing mechanisms for The Oread Inn. Commissioners approved the use of tax increment financing and a transportation development district that would allow new sales and property tax revenues generated by the hotel to be earmarked for parking and other infrastructure to serve the site.

Tuesday's meeting marked a quiet end to what at times has been a contentious project. No one from the public spoke in opposition, although previously there have been concerns about the height of the proposed hotel and the use of tax dollars to help pay for the parking garage.

Commissioners, though, have said the project will provide a needed boost to the adjacent Oread Neighborhood, and will help draw new visitors and tourism dollars to the community.

The project has been proposed by leaders with Lawrence-based Gene Fritzel Construction Co., including Thomas and Tim Fritzel, in addition to local banker Todd Sutherland.

The project will have to go back the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission this month because of a design change to the hotel's parking garage. The new design will not increase the height of the building.

Comments

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

Somebody in a bull dozer should had driven up there yesterday,stop in front, facing the building.That, would have been a good 4-1 joke.

igby 7 years, 3 months ago

They can put in a big swimming pool instead. Adding a million or more to their excavation budget may frighten their bankers a little.

BrianR 7 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps next week's Faith Forum can begin to unravel the mystery of whether tearing down The Crossing is a sign of the Apocalypse.

igby 7 years, 3 months ago

The neighborhood does not need anymore new visitors and tourist to come here. This is a residential neighborhood where people live. We already have a traffic problem with all the students. If this hotel is as dead as the Eldridge down town it won't be that much of a problem.

igby 7 years, 3 months ago

This dig will be expensive. When they hit the limestone shelf thats there they will want to blast. The city will not be able to grant them a blasting permit without the state's approval. I personally do not want the ground shaken around my house by explosives. It's over 100 years old. A four story underground parking facility will be a deep dig. They never did a test well- bore to see where the rock starts. None of the older buildings near there's foundations are not that deep.

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

They poked a hole into a UK or Scotland town to tap the geothermal properties..a town council green decision..and the town is now sinking!They hit an underground pocket of gas, and it's damaging all the buildings and homes, roads. They can't start repairs until it stops sinking, and people are afraid their houses are going to start falling down on them.I thought of our local greenperts while I read that article. Sounds just like Lawrence.

Marty_McFly 7 years, 3 months ago

I hope the new hotel has a clock tower.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

The stinking pit of a 'forum' keeps getting plugged through its misleading site name.

Jayhawker1 7 years, 3 months ago

Get out your smurf sleeping bag and head for a tree Sven!It's now or never!!

Scoreboard 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey Cool,Scoreboard!!You lost and where were you during the city meeting last night? There wasn't even any opposition and it passed unanimously. Give it up.Thanks, Scoreboard.

toefungus 7 years, 3 months ago

This project is exempt from the new school extortion tax. Seems there are ways to get around paying for that teacher raise afterall.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

snap writes:stillhavingawonderfulun-outedinternetlifewithoutvisitingmisleadinglynamed'forums'.

Scoreboard 7 years, 3 months ago

Cool,Why don't you ever post you tube links to your soldier friend?http://www.youtube.com/briankimmel

Scoreboard 7 years, 3 months ago

sven erik alstrom August 12, 2007 love the new website and soldier -- but more importantly i feel very close to you brian watching you continue to bloom as an artist and young man.when we met in 1999 i knew that you were so freshand full of love that you would continue to grow and now it is wonderful to see this continue in your life trajectory. best wishes always. sven

Scoreboard 7 years, 3 months ago

cool (Anonymous) says: hey scoreBORED, this is kind of tiresome.----------------The same could be said about the posts you have posted on the Oread Inn....over and over and over and over......Give it a rest.Scoreboard

Jayhawker1 7 years, 3 months ago

Sven,Whip out a paper towel and draw us up YOUR proposal for the hotel!Save a tree...eat a beaver. But I don't suppose that's how you roll....Ms. Swedish Princess.Check out this link!www.svenisaprincessturd.com

Paul Geisler 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm a KU alum but I won't ever be caught setting foot in that obnoxious hotel, if it ever gets built. I for one will support anyone willing to disrupt the construction.The Fritzels really need to take a chill pill and stop shoving their over-reaching development plans down other Lawrencians' throats!

Jayhawker1 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes...please leave the blight at the corner of 12th and Oread...I will miss peeing in the keg urinal at the Crossing...we don't need a nice hotel or infrastructure improvements...screw progress!!

FatTony 7 years, 3 months ago

I hope they don't start digging, I buried Jimmy Hoffa under the YellowSub

sjschlag 7 years, 3 months ago

The only objections I have to this hotel now is that it will be a giant un-inspired architectural turd right in the middle of lawrence. These developers are going to build this thing as cheaply as possible. Come on, Mr. Longhurst, your business idea is great, but fire your architect. His idea for the site will be one of the most boring and outdated pieces of architecture in the city of lawrence, akin to the 600 block of mass street. Make it modern! make it taller! make it LEED certified! There is so much potential to put in a real stunning piece of architecture, and the developers are missing out by not listening to Denis Domer. On a side note, I hope that the students of KU remove the pleasure of destroying the crossing from these developers. FINAL FOUR BABY!!!!

Scoreboard 7 years, 3 months ago

Watch what you say Bowhunter99. Cool will be sending you a private message any time now.I only joined this forum to see how many posts I could make calling out his name before he sent me one and it took two.He then waits for a response to his private message and will then proceed to post it back on here or his bogus oread inn web site without your consent.The Journal World should really ban forum members like Cool.

Jayhawker1 7 years, 3 months ago

How many historic hotels have you design sven? What gives you the credentials, other than your 3rd grade drawings displayed on the web, to criticize any project other than a napkin sketch floor plan?Sven's low quality work:http://dreamgreenhomes.com/plans/santafe1.htmYour ignorance is astounding!Why weren't you at the meeting last night to speak on behalf of someone you met one time that is in opposition to a project in a neighborhood they lived in 20 years ago?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

Maybe cool drew that holding the pencil between his toes as he was furiously posting more links to marioni's stinking pit of a 'forum'.

konzahawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Too bad the OI is not ready for this weekend. I would have booked a room. I 'm glad this happening. It is about time that trashy neighborhood got cleaned up.

not_dolph 7 years, 3 months ago

FatTony - hillarious...where have you been. Haven't seen you around these parts in a while.Sven - we've seen too much of you. And please run for office. I can't wait to see you anhilated in the polls. Please...please?

jonny_quest 7 years, 3 months ago

The "fizzels" have screwed this town enough. My gawd, look at some of the crappy construction their responsible for around town. Of course, they're laughing all the way to their friendly little banker's bank.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

swedish chef marioni is back: "Mereeun Lynn Mereeun (Mereeun Lynn) seys: Ooh, yeeh, snep, a pruxy serfer. Reeght. Yuoo vuooldn't knoo a "pruxy serfer" iff it beet yuoo oon yuoor keeester. In zee furst plece-a, nu oone-a seys "pruxy serfer"; iferyune-a vhu knoos unytheeng duesn't veste-a zee bundveedt und joost vreetes "pruxy". Yuoo're-a joost zee Trooe-a Internet Gud, eren't yuoo? Mure-a leeke-a a d*emned durty epe-a ooff zee net. Prully type-a veet tvu feengers."

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

Cool might actually be working today....doubtful....but it is getting colder outside but not freezing.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

He's probably just having tea with one of his elderly ladie friends.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

Cools probably up on campus since the buildings are being demolished today.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

No matter how many times cool posts that link, it still leads to Marion's stinking pit of a 'forum'.I'd advise using a proxy server if you want to go there to see the uncensored ravings.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

I find it funny that Cool keeps using the Oread Inn name when that isn't even what the hotel will be called when it's built.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

You really do need a job don't you cool? Just admit it. You're jealous that none of the local developers will hire you and all of your architectural experience.

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

sven did you work at that hotel as a bus boy? Or did you whip out a napkin and draw something up for them like the crap on the net that you claim to be your work?http://dreamgreenhomes.com/plans/santafe1.htmBTW the reference is to the 92 year old former owner of the snow house that has allegedly given you the "authority" to speak on her behalf...You're too much of a coward to show up at any more of the meetings... all you can do is spout your ignorance and repost tired old crap in a forum that 10 people read to make yourself feel better. It's a wonder you cant get a job in this town...

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

Cool,Why do you always send me a private message when I ask you a question here?It would be really nice if the private messages you have sent answered the questions that I ask.Cool = dodgerThanks,KU_Dude

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

I give you authority to speak for my left buttock at the next meeting... it would like your representation...since everything that comes out of your mouth is crap.The project is going to be the best thing to come to larrytown in decades! There's my opinion Mr. Turd.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

cool (Anonymous) says: how about your opinions on the hotel instead ?-------I've stated them in the past. I just don't keep stating them over and over again like you.And by the way this article is mainly about obtaining a demo permit and I'm all for tearing down the structures there. They should have been torn down years ago since a couple of the owners were to cheap to keep them up.

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if the LJW has employment adds for someone that can draw poorly on napkins? Just tryin to help you out BUD!

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

Maybe I should suck up to IGW since he agrees with me? Oh wait...that's your M.O.

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

sven...you need to scurry out and puchase the domain name www.theoread.com... that will show the fritzels that you're still a tough opponent!

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to know how many of YOUR posts are reposts princess toad boy!

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

FACTCool has no concept of architecture and style...that would be why he can't get a job here in town!Get a life sven alstrom.

coool 7 years, 2 months ago

Fact: Cool doesn't do any local architecture work. He just points out other local architects flaws.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Another plug for marioni's stinking pit of a 'forum' gets posted. It may someday get more than 5 unique visitors a month.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

Dipstick? Feel honored. He hasn't sent me anything today,

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

Good luck... McDonalds doesn't fire anyone...so I imagine he'll be here for a loooooong time!

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

Can we get some fries with that swedish princess toad turd? I bet that was hard for them to put on your McName tag.

crackers 7 years, 2 months ago

It is sad but true, developers run our local government.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

Dear Readers,Cool keeps posting the same posts over and over again.Please ignore him and read something else.Thanks,KU_Dude

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

Get the net Mcprincess Mcsven, the only people reading this forum are the ones having fun (like myself) pointing out your ignorance, which as way too easy.You're trying so hard to keep the topic as "most discussed", but anyone who happens to tune in only gets a dose of repeated posts and some funnies from people like me, and IGW, and KU dude. So I suppose I should be the one that's happy that your ignorance is continuously on display... Keep reposting so we can continue to point out what an idiot you really are.By the way, supersize my fries please.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 2 months ago

I think it's safe to say that cool does his cause no good by spamming this forum. But it is pretty entertaining to occasionally take a peak here to see the reaction of those equally obsessed with him as he is with this project.

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

Nice post Bozo. I keep thinking I'm done and then he pulls me back in. I need a drink.

sjschlag 7 years, 2 months ago

I've been waiting since wednesday for them to start tearing it down! where are the bulldozers? I want to extract my own piece of memorabilia from the crossing and yello sub!

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey, another plug for Nick Danger's stinking pit of a 'forum'. Who'd have ever expected that?

Jayhawker1 7 years, 2 months ago

It's over sveenie... pack up your little frog tent and go home... It would be a welcome relief at this point if YOU had something orignal to add to the forum other than your stupidity and reposts... Can we send the dozers over to the WORLD HEADQUARTERS of sven's napkin drawing architecure studio...i.e. your mom's basement? I'd hate to bother your mom...but clearly the coward cockroach needs to be evicted from her basement so he'll get more than a fast food job. That means you'll have to move since no one in town will hire you.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

cool, you should know by now 90% of the posts on Marion's stinking pit of a 'forum' are by himself, enforcer and wittman. There's nothing there anyone with above a room temperature IQ would be interested in.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

I thought cool was soft-pedaling his promotion of marioni's stinking pit of a 'forum'. I was mistaken.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

"Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric anxiety disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempt to neutralize the obsessions."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorderSee also: cool and this thread