Family, dog safe after house fills with smoke
Lawrence firefighters responded Wednesday evening to a house fire in North Lawrence.
Flames were not visible from outside the home at 341 Lyon St., but smoke escaped from the back of the house, where the fire appeared to have started.
Everyone in the house escaped unharmed.
Heaven Love, of Lawrence, said she was sleeping upstairs in her bedroom about 5:30 p.m. when her 12-year-old son came home to find the house full of smoke. Love said her son ran to her room to wake her up.
Love said she didn’t hear smoke alarms sound in the house, where she has lived for two months with her brother and her son. She also rescued her small dog, Wishbone, from the house.