Archive for Friday, September 21, 2007

Boycott of KU-MU game urged

Bar owners protest loss of revenue from moving match to K.C.

September 21, 2007

Downtown business owners urge KU fans to avoid Arrowhead game

KU takes on MU at Arrowhead Stadum on November 24. Jerry Neverve wants to give discounts to people who don't go to the game. Enlarge video

Audio Clips
KU-MU at Arrowhead
On the street

Do you think Lawrencians should boycott KU football games played in Kansas City?

Of course, Lawrence needs the revenue. If the town is going to support the university, they should support the town by keeping the games here.

More responses

Stay at home and party.

That's what a pair of downtown Lawrence business owners will be trying to convince Lawrence residents to do on Nov. 24, rather than travel to the Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., to watch Kansas University's "home" football game against Missouri.

Jerry and Sue Neverve - owners of downtown's Red Lyon Tavern - are working on a protest and a promotion that would allow KU fans to show their unused game ticket on Nov. 24 to Lawrence restaurants and retailers to receive special discounts on food and goods.

"We thought that would, hopefully, make a point to the athletic department and maybe result in some changes for the future," Sue Neverve said.

This season marks the first of a two-year experiment by KU and MU to conduct the arch-rivalry game in Kansas City, Mo.

Jim Marchiony, associate athletic director at KU, said it would be unfortunate if KU fans didn't turn out at Arrowhead.

"The team deserves the support," Marchiony said.

But the Neverves say the community deserves the support, too. Several retailers have opposed moving the Nov. 24 game - which is the Saturday after Thanksgiving - because it will encourage people to leave town on what is traditionally one of the biggest shopping days of the year.

"KU is always asking for our support, whether it be through the Williams Fund or ticket purchase or something else, and then this is what happens," said Jerry Neverve, who has been a football season ticket holder for the past 14 years.

Marchiony, though, said the game should help the KU football program, and that, ultimately, will help the entire community. He also said he's not convinced Lawrence businesses are going to lose out on sales because the game has been moved.

"I think that money will be spent in Lawrence, whether it is before the game, after the game or on another day in Lawrence," Marchiony said. "It is very premature to predict economic doom and gloom because of one game being moved out of Lawrence."

The Neverves aren't buying what Marchiony says. Sue Neverve said during the next two weeks, she will begin signing up restaurants and other businesses that are interested in offering a discount in return for showing an unused game ticket. She also said she'll be encouraging businesses to offer tailgate parties for fans to come and watch the game, which could be on TV. She's talking with owners of property near Memorial Stadium that traditionally provide parking and tailgating space for KU fans. She wants those properties to encourage fans to come tailgate despite the game being in Kansas City.

Sue Neverve said she plans to pass out fliers around Memorial Stadium at today's game to alert fans of the promotion.

Comments

LiberalDude 7 years, 3 months ago

This is dumb! I think I will boycott the Red Lyon.....which sucks because the Red Lyon is one of my favorite bars in Lawrence. KU doesn't owe you anything!!! Be thankful that you get 7 home football games per year!

Bruce Bertsch 7 years, 3 months ago

So what is the difference between 48,000 for FIU and 50,071 for Mizzou in tax revenue? That is the real opportunity cost, and I guarante you its not 6 figures. The other thing that everyone sems to misunderstand is that KU is beng paid by the Chiefs specifically for Mizzou, not just for "a game." KU's $$$ is guaranteed whether anyone shows or not. Boycotting only hurts the players and the Chief's ownership.

laughingatallofu 7 years, 3 months ago

Moderationman,

Thank you. You made my point. It's all about $$$. Yes, Larryville has an economic stake in this "game". I guess rivalry and tradition are passe. It doesn't matter anymore. Dr. H. and Lew P. et al won't have to combat the traffic to and from Arrowhead Stadium, they won't have to pay for parking, on and on. I guess that KU is entitled to do wahtever it wants and everyone will follow along without complaint.

<<< Boycotting only hurts the players and the Chief's ownership. <<<

I want to be on the first shuttle to Mars!

laughingatallofu 7 years, 3 months ago

<<< I'm not even sure why I read these comments.

I'm not sure, either, IZAC. You'e reading, but not comprehending.. That's OK. We'll try again later.

Regards

(IZAC, I'm not putting you down. We'll just have to try to resolve our differences at a later time (perhaps on a different topic). It's a shame that more people on this forum don't try to do the same. Unfortunately, there tends to be too much vitriol here. But, then again, maybe that's what makes this forum interesting! :)

Confrontation 7 years, 3 months ago

Sweet! Please, stay home and sale your tickets to some real fans. The Red Lyon stinks either way.

IZAC 7 years, 3 months ago

Still haven't figured out why in the hell the KUAD owes anything to the city. They are a business and in it to make money, correct? Why in the hell would they give a damn about other businesses? They already make these businesses a bunch of extra money on game days anyway with the extra traffic around town. Sure, they may "lose" a bit of the money, but unless places the the Red Lyon are forking over donations to the University's athletic fund (specifically allocated for football) they have absolutely no leg to stand on. She gives me one of those fliers I'll eat the flier instead of my ticket. I understand supporting the local economy, but come on, this is ridiculous, pretty and selfish. No surprise the LJW and it's hatred for KU sports would run this dumb ass article.

As for everyone bashing Lew, he's doing what he was paid to do. If you want to hate him for that, fine. He was brought to KU to improve KU sports, specifically football, and the financial standing of the KUAD. He's done exactly that. Not sure what there is to be mad about. He made the right financial decision for his business.

There will be a ton of KU fans boycotting the Red Lyon instead of the game. Way to go Jerry and Sue you killed a bunch of your business on game days. Real smart...

jayhawks71 7 years, 3 months ago

Moderation man said : "I could care less about the Red Lyon and whether or not it makes money." Then why don't you care less? Or did you mean that you "couldn't care less?"

IZAC 7 years, 3 months ago

"Yes, Larryville has an economic stake in this "game"."

Really? What are they ponying up for the game? All they do is reap the benefits of having a big time athletics program in their city.

I'm not even sure why I read these comments. You guys don't give a damn about KU sports, you just want to bitch.

laughingatallofu 7 years, 3 months ago

<<< But then again, one of the stated reasons for moving the game is to get KC metro folk to the game in hopes that they will make the trip to Lawrence in the future, thus making more $$$ for the downtown.

Sounds like "trickle-down economics" to me. And we all know how that turned out. I hope that your economic model works out, but I'm glad that I'm not a Lawrence business owner who's latching on to your theory. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have any monetary stake in the game. We'll see, won't we?

jkearns 7 years, 3 months ago

Not sure how to view this one - It's Kansas City... they're more worried about Hannah Montanna then KU/MU...

devilsrighthandman 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't have the exact numbers, but the city will lose in the long run. We stand to lose close to 100,000 +/- in tax dollars alone. All of the money paid for parking, concessions, shopping and more will go to the state of Missouri. It is not just the bars that will lose. Adding one more "sister saint mary of the blind, deaf and dumb" opponents from Florida will not bring in the same kind of money. What happend to the college rivalry and experience of College football... not big business? I see all kinds of complaints about road repairs, a new library and others and we send money elsewhere. This town supports KU, but as an alumni, I feel betrayed by the University. If you want the Kansas City Alumni to see games, schedule FIU at Camerohead.

laughingatallofu 7 years, 3 months ago

IZAC,

You are correct. KU owes NOTHING to the city of Lawrence. KUAD is a business all to themselves and to h#ll with anyone else. Nice "corporate citizens", eh? If that's the case, I'm glad that I'm not their next door neighbor.

And, of course, tradition and rivalry have NOTHING to do with anything what KUAD does. So, that means that the people who donate to KUAD are either (1) trying to make KUAD richer, with no profit for themslves; (2) have too much money on their hands and don't know what else to do with it; or (3) drinking the kool aid that KUAD is feeding them, year after year. I dunno. You tell me!

Lew was brought here to make $$$. You're probably right. I pity him. What a horrible career that guy has!

KS 7 years, 3 months ago

What a great idea. Keep it here in Lawrence. Go girl!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 3 months ago

You should contact some business owners in Columbia too. They will hurt when the game isn't scheduled in their town too.

akuna 7 years, 3 months ago

The KU Athletic Dept. should be ashamed of itself for not supporting the town that supports it. If I had tickets, I wouldn't go to the game. This is a great idea from the best bar in the town.

laughingatallofu 7 years, 3 months ago

KU Athletics, A.P. (After Perkins) is all about $$$. F*ck the fans, supporters, community, retailers. Marchiony is just a flunkie for L.P. If I ever heard pandering, it's out of the mouth of Jim M in this article. Too bad that L.P. can't speak for himself (too busy stuffing the pockets of the A.P. (Not After Perkins, the Athletic Department)

I wonder how the budget of the A.P. compares to most of the communities in Kansas. Money grubbers!

Bruce Bertsch 7 years, 3 months ago

Its the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It's going to be a big shopping day whether the game is in KC or Larryville. Notice it's not a retail shopping establishment, its a bar that is complaining. So since the AD scheduled 7 home games, how is the community hurt by not playing an 8th? Next year we will have seven again. Will they complain then? If we were suddenly playing 5 home games then they might have a complaint. As it is...just more whining.

laughingatallofu 7 years, 3 months ago

Moderationman,

I take it that you wouldn't be going to the game --- whether it be in Lawrence or KC. And, you're not going to frequent any establishment --- either in Lawrence or KC that day, anyway. OK. You really don't care. Fine. Be a stick-in-the-mud, ModerationApatheticCouchPotato (aka Moderationman)

justtired 7 years, 3 months ago

i agree!! everyone should stay at home. maybe if some of the "head honchos" in the athletic department would be willing to chip in some of their salaries, then we could keep the game here. local businesses deserve our support.

cowboy 7 years, 3 months ago

We don't care , we don't have to , were KU !

ts7 7 years, 3 months ago

Anyone here familiar with the expression "biting the hand that feeds you"? Be thankful that you get seven home games, and please, do us all a favor and keep your selfish pleas to your greedy selves. Why exactly do the owners of the Red Lyon feel that they have the right to dictate the scheduling policy of the university's athletic teams? What do they do to support the university? How much money have they donated to the university and/or the athletic department? Do they support the university in any way?

Bruce Bertsch 7 years, 3 months ago

Wrong, I am a season ticket holder and will be at Camarohead. I could care less about the Red Lyon and whether or not it makes money. There are seven dates for downtown businesses to thrive. If they would loike to pony up the $1,000,000 that KU gets paid to play in KC in 2007, then maybe they would have a point. But then again, one of the stated reasons for moving the game is to get KC metro folk to the game in hopes that they will make the trip to Lawrence in the future, thus making more $$$ for the downtown.

KU is by far the largest employer in Lawrence and the students are the ones who create a ton of business. Maybe the owners of the Red Lyon ought to think of what Lawrence would be like without the university.

mtnfreak 7 years, 3 months ago

I am a KU alum in KC planning to attend the KU-MU game at Arrowhead this season. I would never have gone to the game in Lawrence. Why? Ticket prices. I can go to the KC game for $30 while I have to pay $45 for a ticket at Memorial stadium. Sorry, but I can't afford the $100+ it costs for my husband and I to go to a game in Lawrence. Especially when last year you walked away from the games hugely dissapointed in the effort of our team to pull out a victory. I can see one of the top ranked basketball teams in the nation put on a much more impressive performance for the same cost. The lack of one game isn't hurting your business as much as the overpriced tickets keeping young alum away from the scene. Lower ticket prices and I bet you see more young grads at the games and on Mass Street afterwards.

David Mora Marín 7 years, 3 months ago

KU needs to get its act together. College football is supposed to take place in a college town, in a college stadium. For fans and students and Lawrence residents it is not just a game, but a celebration of Lawrence--it keeps alumni coming back, it helps the town's businesses, and strengthens the town's identity. It's not supposed to be a business, a purely financial enterprise--that's what pro football is for, and that's what Arrowhead Stadium is for. This is all a big mistake.

David Mora & Heather Bruce

deskboy04 7 years, 3 months ago

I am going to the game. I think that it's a great idea to play at Arrowhead.

jhawkjjm 7 years, 3 months ago

I love the hypocrisy. A business owner who doesn't want to lose money and hurt their business financially demands that the game still in Lawrence, which would hurt the Athletic Department financially. Considering the entire athletic department is financed by men's basketball and football, how can you blame them for trying to make as much as they can. Unless the other sports, normally known as "non revenue sports", start making money, you have to make as much as you can off of football and basketball. Or else you end up cutting programs, like what happened to the men's tennis and swimming teams years ago. How's this for a moral arguement, by protesting the football game in KC, you are potentially costing future students the opportunity to attend KU.

desotodoug 7 years, 3 months ago

I think it is odd that some of those in support of the boycott cite "tradition" and "rivalry", and criticize KUAC for putting dollars ahead of those concepts. Well guess what? Red Lyon is interested in dollars more than "tradition" and "rivalry."

Also, having attended KU in the pre-Glen Mason 80's, I can tell you that the attendance didn't approach the upper 40 thousands, except with the Cornhuskers rolled into town, and Memorial Stadium was awash in Big Red. Let's think about some math... 6 or 7 games with an average attendance of 26,000, or 6 games (plus MU in Arrowhead) with 47,000. Maybe the success of the football program and KUAC are really doing a good thing for the local business community. I'm sure their motive is not to help the business community, but it sure seems like there is validity to the point that the better the team is, the better it is for local business.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

I wouldn't be upset if every home game was played in KC and and instead of a stadium KU had a Memorial Parking Garage.

PeteJayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey Dolph...you clearly have an unhealthy obsession with Lew Perkins. This is such a non-issue. We currently are attracting fans to home games like never before and are playing more home games than ever before, so the net impact even without the MU game is greater than it was 10 years ago.

pieces_of_eight 7 years, 3 months ago

This is just stupid, short-term thinking by a bunch of small-towners. Let me try to explain it to you.

This is good for the KUAD long-term and short-term, and it is good for Lawrence long-term. KUAD gets $1MM from the Chiefs now, and the players get to play in a big-time stadium. Long-term, that is a good selling point for recruits. The better players we get in here, the better teams we have and the more people come to see them. Long-term, that means more sellouts and more people around to spend money next year and the year after that.

Wouldn't you be willing to sacrifice part of one Saturday's revenue for that? I mean, we already have seven home games this year, and they have been well-attended so far.

Fairness952 7 years, 3 months ago

I look forward to attending the game with 70,000+ other fans at an NFL stadium. The KU-Oklahoma game in 2005 at Arrowhead was also a fun and exciting game. Merchants assert that the game will hurt their sales, but there's no proof of that. Frankly, it would never occur to me to both shop and attend a football game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Too crowded already on that weekend downtown, with nowhere to park and sidewalks stuffed with shoppers - game or no game. Seven home games in one season is apparently not enough for Lawrence merchants? They should wake up and realize the university is very, very good to them year-round.

skinny 7 years, 3 months ago

I too will boycott the Red Lyon.

I'll never step foot in the place again!!

Go KU!!!

OnlyTheOne 7 years, 3 months ago

one of the stated reasons for moving the game is to get KC metro folk to the game in hopes that they will make the trip to Lawrence in the future, thus making more $$$ for the downtown. moderationman

And who is it, do you think, that fills 10 hwy on home game days. Those cars with JO on them ain't coming from Arkansas! Secondly how many Independence, MO fans is KU going to pick up?

Nope, the best thing in this deal is to boycott the game......

MooseisLoose 7 years, 3 months ago

It's Thanksgiving weekend. All the students will be gone. People who stay in Lawrence will have family in town and they will still go downtown to shop, eat and drink. Also, nobody knows the game time yet. It won't be determined until the Big 12 ranks the games for that week and decides the TV schedule. People will not stay in the Arrowhead lot all night if it's an early TV game starting at 11:30. If its the night game there will be plenty of daylight hours to spend downtown. Not using the ticket you already paid for does not hurt the athletic department. Trying to bring business into your bar on some Lame protest is greedy in its own way. I don't hear these same people complaining about scheduling a home game the same weekend as Fall Break. Just wait until the media and these non-football fans realize this. The University will be closed for fall break the weekend of the Baylor game. An important game for the football team to win and be bowl eligible. Another possible big return for downtown establishments. Support the University and the sports teams.

kujayhawk7476 7 years, 3 months ago

Maybe as a gesture of friendship, the KUAC should give the Neverves some cheese to go along with their "whine".

I'm a season ticket holder and certainly not in favor of taking this game off campus and wrote my opinions in a letter to Mr. Perkins, but am willing to try it as an experiment. The concept works for OU - Texas and might be a good thing.

Let's try it once (actually twice, by contract) and see what happens.

greatabu 7 years, 3 months ago

1) There are 7 home games this year, just like last year and just like next year.

2) If the Red Lyon will face significant damage to their business because there will be about 2,000 less fans for the FIU game as opposed to the MU game that is not the fault of the KUAD, it is the fault of the owners of the Red Lyon. It's called a bad business plan.

3) The KUAD and the university are separate entities. The KUAD gets about $1 million from the state for salaries, the other ~$45 million comes from donations, revenue and the Williams Fund.

4) KU didn't start the revenue war, we are playing catch-up to the Texases and Nebraskas of the world. What would really hurt the Lawrence businesses would be for the football team to go in the tank and have attendance drop back to where it was during the Allen years or Valesente years or pretty much any coach not named Mason or Mangino.

5) A successful football team can do wonders for the university and the community, just look to the west. KSU has nearly doubled its enrollment since they got better in football. They are using the football team as a way to promote and market the university, something KU might want to think about trying.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

greatabu, nice post and I couldn't agree more. Besides I haven't been to the Red Lion, or any other bar in Downtown Lawrence without a smoking patio (that isn't also known as the public sidewalk), since the smoking ban.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 3 months ago

What's this, yet another of Hemenway's payoffs to his Missouri masters. First its KU's branding and now our football games. Fire Hemenway, clean the slime out of Strong Hall.

flyin_squirrel 7 years, 3 months ago

Having people not use, sell or give away their ticket defeats the purpose. If you want the game to not be a success, giving your ticket away would be better, so KU-MU don't sell as many tickets.

Martin_D_15 7 years, 3 months ago

what a bunch of whiney downtown business owners, they are greedier than KU!!!

del888 7 years, 3 months ago

I am wondering how many of you people who posted here have season tickets? I am a season ticket holder and also own a local business. I, for one, am not the least bit concerned about losing business. If you treat your customers right, they will shop at your business. -- If you are not a season ticket holder (in any sport), then you don't really support KU anyway, so quit complaining.

flyin_squirrel 7 years, 3 months ago

IZAC,

You wrote,

"As for everyone bashing Lew, he's doing what he was paid to do. If you want to hate him for that, fine. He was brought to KU to improve KU sports, specifically football, and the financial standing of the KUAD. He's done exactly that."

Lew has done nothing but increase our athletic budget with overpaid administrators. Our sports teams have not improved: Women's Volleyball- 1-2 in the Big 12, 9th in the Big 12 Women's Soccer- 1-6-1, worst record in Big 12 Women's Tennis- 2-9 in the Big 12, 11th in the Big 12 Football- 3-0 but haven't played anybody

Last year we had ONE championship and that was in Mens Basketball. In the Directors Cup Standings we finished 66th, 10th in the Big 12 with ISU and KSU behind us.

As for improving football, did we make a bowl game last year? And don't say it was because we had a tough schedule.

Yes we have built better facilities (and are building more) but have these facilities produced wins. No. And now we are building a new football facility that is going to increase our operating budget greatly.

I guess the only thing left for LEW to do is give himself another raise so our budget will continue to be in the top half of the Big 12 but our overall performance ranking will continue to be in the bottom half.

sourpuss 7 years, 3 months ago

I can't afford to go to any of the games, Arrowhead or otherwise, so consider me in...

flyin_squirrel 7 years, 3 months ago

Overall athletic rankings

2006-7 KU rank 66 2005-6 KU rank 60 2004-5 KU rank 61 2003-4 KU rank 65

Thanks for the bigger budget Lew.

waydownsouth 7 years, 3 months ago

True KU fans and alumni will support the team where ever they go. If you buy a ticket its to go to the game not to shop or sit in a bar. If you want the fans to trickle downtown before or after a game then how about cleaning it up. Downtown is not a major attraction. Its not Crown center or the Plaza. Which have much more sight appeal. More people go to Oakpark mall to shop then downtown Lawrence. Want more business then make it appealing. If your a KU fan show your support be true and loyal.

90rockchalk 7 years, 3 months ago

del888: If you really are a Lawrence merchant, then you are my hero for taking the stand that you take. Attendance is WAY up for KU football, and Lawrence businesses directly benefit from that. Also, that guaranteed money that the KUAD gets from the game in KC will ultimately benefit the Lawrence economy, just not on that specific game day.

As a season ticket holder, I would rather have this year's game in Lawrence because I like Memorial as a game setting much more than Arrowhead. But I'm a KU fan who would really like to see Jayhawk football succeed. The only boycott I will support is a boycott of merchants who go along with the Neverves.

waydownsouth 7 years, 3 months ago

KU is not forgetting its roots and obligations but rather ignoring them.

Its about money. KU wants to make money The Red Lyon does not want to lose money. Nothing to do with roots and obligations. They want to keep making money fix it up. I have been in there once and only once. Looks like a concrete cave.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 7 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully Mrs. Neverve has gotten a license to pass out those fliers or else she will be ticketed and told to collect the fliers.

ProudestMonkey 7 years, 3 months ago

haha, most of you losers who are boycotting this game probably wouldn't have gone if the game was in town. Whether you feel it's right or wrong, you should still support the team. There are still 7 home games in Lawrence this year, just like last year. ROCK CHALK!

Note: I have attended the Red Lyon for the LAST TIME and at my tailgate today I will spread the BOYCOTT of the RED LYON.

jumpin_catfish 7 years, 3 months ago

It's not about going to the game it's about supporting the community that makes KU a great school! Send the AD a message he screw'd up and we don't like it.

Sagecasey 7 years, 3 months ago

Just out of curiousity, do people have to buy tickets for their infants at Arrowhead for the KU game like they do at Memorial Stadium?

Sagecasey 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB, do you know if Arrowhead makes people buy tickets for infants at Chief's games?

Tommy_Jayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

jumping_catfish,

KU is not a great school because of the community. The community is great because of KU. KU brings the culture, diversity and character to Lawrence. Without KU, Lawrence would be another mediocre town leaching onto KC.

anotherdayinparadise 7 years, 3 months ago

KU is making a decision strictly based on money, so in turn the red lyon is also. If attendance is down and the Chiefs don't make a significant ammount on parking and concessions then it is less likely that the game will continue to be in arrowhead, which is a good thing. Anyone who thinks that whatever charity game makes up that 7th home game that would have been mizzou should try living off the income it provides. I agree that while KU doesn't OWE local merchants anything, our tax dollars fund the university and make it possible for the athletic$ department to exist. All of you so called REAL fans out there who don't care about competitive advantage, gamesmanship, will you feel the same way if that game would be a deciding factor in the big XII north championship, I know that I sure would rather be playing a game with stakes like that in my home stadium instead of a neutral site. If nothing is done about this and they are not made aware of the things that they are doing to upset people, then what is to stop them from moving the KU/MU basketball games to the Sprint Center, that would be two big draws a year for that venue, and without a permanent tennent I'm sure they'd be more than happy to host. In closing keep your money in town..... ask coach Fambrough what he thinks about the game in Mizzery, I for one will not be attending

greatabu 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB,

Arrowhead seats 79,851 and 69,000+ tickets have already been sold. That is greater than 2/3.

This is nothing but a publicity stunt for the Red Lyon.

If they are going to boycott the KU-MU game then I assume that they will also boycott the Dec. 15 basketball game at the Sprint Center. Oh wait, that wouldn't draw attention to themselves.

Kudos to you del888. That guy gets it.

And thanks Sigmund

gogoplata 7 years, 3 months ago

KU home games should be played at Memorial Stadium.

HalsteadHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

When you say KU is making this move based on money, I assume you are not a KU fan. Since improving the program and winning more games leads to more televised games and bigger bowl games which leads to more money for the entire athletic program. I, for one, fully support KU's football greed. When the program does improve and more games are on TV (including road games) and more fans are going out to bars and restaurants to watch these games I hope Jerry and Sue Neverve remember to turn off their TVs and kick the KU fans out since they are against an improved (and richer) KU football program.

PS Anybody know of any other bars in town that have Boddingtons on nitro-tap?

flyin_squirrel 7 years, 3 months ago

If you don't think moving this game is going to affect the Lawrence economy, just go to Dillion or HyVee today. I just left our locally owned HyVee, and it was full of people buying supplies for tailgating. And they also had more employees working than on a normal Saturday.

It is not just businesses that are affected. Think of all the employees of the bars, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. who will not be making any money, which in turn would probably be spent in Lawrence.

But we must give Lew credit on one thing, he is getting more money out of everybody!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 7 years, 3 months ago

I think the boycott idea is great. I am not a KU fan. I am not a Missouri fan, although I am glad to see it when Big 12 schools do well against outside conference foes,(except for the Texas Four, I was highly opposed to the merger that brought this about and messed up the Big Eight) and many of them have done this year. But the stupid and callous decisions of the KU athletic staff in moving this game are represenhible. If OU ever tried to move any game from Norman to Oklahoma City, there would be fires on Parrington Oval. No fan of the Sooners would stand for this behavior. I hope KU loses its collective ass on this one.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 3 months ago

Ummmm...don't you think they'll be buying tailgate supplies for the Arrowhead game as well?

This is nothing more than a publicity gimmick by the Red Lyon to get people to show up at their bar on game day. Anyone that calls on a KU football boycott wasn't much of a fan to begin with.

HalsteadHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

"If OU ever tried to move any game from Norman to Oklahoma City, there would be fires on Parrington Oval"

Ummm..Okay. What about Dallas?

90rockchalk 7 years, 3 months ago

frwent: You do realize that Oklahoma's home game every other year against Texas is played in Dallas, right?

pace 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't think he is mistaken or just doesn't understand, I think he is a bold faced liar. Just lie and do it and it will blow over or people will get use to it said the proctologist.

90rockchalk 7 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence merchants will make less money ON THE DAY of the game than they would have made. However, what will happen when the KUAD brings in that guaranteed money from the game at Arrowhead? It may mean more scholarships for non-revenue sports, which will help the Lawrence economy by bringing more students to KU. It may mean the ability to take out more ads in the Lawrence Journal-World, which will help the Lawrence economy. It may mean more employees at the KUAD, which would help the Lawrence economy. It may mean a lot of different things, most of which would help the Lawrence economy. Why is this so difficult to understand?

I would prefer that the game be played in Lawrence, but not because of the local merchants or the Lawrence economy.

Jerry Jennings 7 years, 3 months ago

Are you suggesting I BUY a $45 ticket (for an event that I am supposedly protesting) in order to receive a meager food discount?!? Even if I HAD the ticket already (through a season ticket purchase) I wouldn't trade my $45 ticket to receive a $3.00 discount on food (or whatever the offer is) that I had to spend ADDITIONAL money on in order to get the discount. Where's the flaw in my logic.... or yours? For many reasons, I don't like the game in KC any more than anyone else in Lawrence but I think this offer is nothing more than trying to "buy" my $45 coupon/ticket for a "$3" discount. You'll have to improve your offer with the customer in mind, not the merchant! PS: Exactly how does this plan hurt the Athletic Department in the wallet anyway??

Fred Whitehead Jr. 7 years, 3 months ago

90rockchalk. Yes, I do know about the Red River Rumble, I have been to a few. It is a tradition that was started many years ago. But there is one glaring difference. OU-UT ar both yearly contenders. They both have a chance for the national championship nearly every year. MU and KU do not. The product at MU is debatable and KU usually pretty poor. Yeah, they have smushed a few creampuffs this year, but still have conference play. To do this sort of muddling event with two plodding unremarkable teams,, neither of which have any sort of championship product to sell is really spitting in the wind. It would have been much better to have preserved tradition and forget the soaring plans of the greedy bastard suits at KU and MU.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 7 years, 3 months ago

PS Halstead Hawk...Thanks for the Wikipedia link. I had no idea it was there! But it just reflects the TRADITION of this event. The description given in that link is pretty accurate, and I was glad to find it. But still, the KU-MU game is a traditional campus game. This money grabbing plan of the KU suits is pretty shabby and indecent.

getserious 7 years, 3 months ago

I think the business owners are upset about "which" game has been moved, not the move itself. If the Toledo game were moved instead of the Mizzou game, I don't think business owners would have a problem. Mizzou, K state, OU, Nebraska will always bring more fans, thus customers, to town that the mid majors.

moveforward 7 years, 3 months ago

IZAC said, "No surprise the LJW and it's hatred for KU sports would run this dumb ass article."

I don't think this is the case at all. I think the coverage has been consistantly decent for many, many years. Lew has a bad case of the Don Corleones - just like Karl Peterson. They seem to think that the media is there to serve them. The 2 minutes of free publicity every night not being enough, they both expect nothing less than glowing reports at every turn. If the JW or 810 sports says anything les than a rave, much less critical, they get a tongue lashing at the hands of the head rat himself.

thebigspoon 7 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if the KU MU game next year which is a Misssouri home game will be played at Arrowhead as well ?

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure it was mentioned earlier, but as I couldn't be bothered to read all the comments to this idiotic article, I'll mention it again. Without Kansas University, Lawrence would make Dosoto look big. Any concept the Kansas University or Kansas taxpayers owe Lawrence bar owners anything is insanely self centered and arrogant beyond belief.

moveforward 7 years, 3 months ago

Sigmund,

Your statement is ridiculous. What would KU be without Lawrence? They go hand in hand... neither is leaving - and suggesting that there is not a mutual obligation between the two is just not living in reality. Sure, business is business, but these businesses are dependent and in fact support to some extent the larger business (the former being the bars, the later being ku sports if you are having trouble following along). Since you seem comfortable dealing in hypotheticals... this is no different than if your employer decided to lay you off. My guess is that you would be pretty pissed and spout off a bit. Maybe even boycot that business.

classclown 7 years, 3 months ago

If you want to boycott KU, then why not boycott everything instead of just the one game? Get the message across. Boycott all the games. Boycott everything having to do with KU. I'm not sure a one game boycott would be very effective. Boycott everything so they is no money going to KU at all and perhaps they will get the message.

Or not. After all this is KU we're talking about. They're pretty slow up there.

moveforward 7 years, 3 months ago

Ok - so the owners of the Red Lyon got their few minutes of free publicity. Good for them. Too bad they can't just imagine a compelling reason for me to come patronize their business instead of whining. But then... this is the bar that apparently could not think of an decent origanal name... they had to steal the name of a former business - where the owner was not around keep the claim. Sad.

Eileen Jones 7 years, 3 months ago

Count me in. I decided a long time ago not to support moving the game out of Lawrence.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

KU's Lawrence campus is not going anywhere, true enough. Like some old couples I know they are held together from inertia, just to much effort to get divorced. But my point is valid, Kansas Universities contribution to Lawrence is far grater than the reverse. There is NOTHING Lawrence had that KU couldn't have easily have found 30 miles in any direction. Lawrence without KU is Baldwin, but with LOTS more attitude.

Further, I would bet there is an order of magnitude more alumni in KC than Lawrence and holding a game there maximizes those alumni the ability to go to the game. Excluding student discounted tickets, I would bet the same could be said of season ticket holders. Anyone who believe the Kansas University, Kansas taxpayers, or alumni owe Lawrence bar owners anything is insanely self centered and arrogant beyond belief.

But try your stupid little boycott, it won't make a bit of difference. If you stay in Lawrence to get drunk in Lawrence bars at least K-10 and the Turnpike will be that much safer.

greatabu 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB,

Here is the link with the tickets sold info:

none2,

Take away Washburn and Topeka still has the state government, Take away UMKC and Kansas City is still a transportation hub and has a great deal of industry. Take away KU and what does Lawrence have? If KU had never been placed in Lawrence, what would it be like today?

Tychoman 7 years, 3 months ago

Actually, if you take away Washburn from Topeka, Topeka has nothing. The state legislature is nothing to brag about. Washburn is a great school, it's just a small, great school.

theman81 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes KU fans, PLEASE stay home and don't go to the game. Its not really about being there and supporting your team with cheers, whistles, and general loudness. What it is really about is how much money you will spend patronizing your local businesses. Heck every football game should be looked at as a cash cow for your own city. Admittedly I am a Tiger fan and I'm hoping for a Mizzou victory at the game, but just the idea of this article is stunning to me. If there were a business in Columbia that acted this way I would be sure NEVER to visit there again. Boycott the game? Are you serious? I will take solace in the fact that this article and indeed the subjects of it are not really representative of the true KU fans out there. Good luck to all the Jayhawk fans actually going to the game and supporting their TEAM. To the selfish business' in Lawrence ... may you lose all your sales and have to close your pathetic money hungry doors.

whatupdown 7 years, 1 month ago

Where future games are played will be determined by how much revenue is produced, if you don't want them out of town then don't go spend(vote), if you want more games in KC then go spend(vote). Loosing these big fun home games is like the univ loosing its innocence-bliss-virginity to a greedy drunk.

shockchalk 7 years, 1 month ago

theman81 is from Missouri and even HE understands the difference between a true KU fan and some selfish business owner whining about lost sales. It doesn't matter that they make tons of money on all the other home games, they want MORE. You can bet that a lot of us will NO longer shop at these places complaining about the game moving to KC!