Letters to the Editor

Coaching lesson

September 20, 2007

To the editor:

I have yet to hear anyone address the message that coach Mangino was getting across to his players. Professor Hoeflich condemns coach for this outburst, but in his condemnation of college football as a whole, he denies that football at Kansas University "instills ideals of collaboration and sportsmanship." Isn't this in fact the lesson that coach was teaching on the sideline that day?

Just like others, I watched this clip after someone told me how funny it was. I was struck with something entirely different. I was impressed that coach was actually teaching a lesson to this player. When you score a touchdown you shouldn't celebrate yourself. You should celebrate your teammates who helped you get there. Celebrate the coaching staff that put you in that position. Celebrate the support staff that helps you gain a quality education. Celebrate your family for their support. The only thing you did on your own was cost the team 15 yards.

I don't remember hearing Dante Hall mention the 10 other men on the field when he was returning kicks for Kansas City, but I do hear it from KU return men this year. I don't remember mention of blocking assignments on special teams, but talk of KU's execution on these units has become common. Perhaps we should all stop focusing on the trivial things about this incident and actually listen to coach. Or maybe next time he just needs to yell it louder so we all hear it like his players did.

Chris Enneking,

Lawrence

Comments

thanksforcoming 7 years, 8 months ago

I agree. What a great lesson that the freshman learned. What a great lesson that many younger football players learned. Not only did they see an example of what is expected of college athletes, but a lesson in being a team as well.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

I agree - but did he have to use the "F" word every f'n three seconds???

atavism 7 years, 8 months ago

It is good to see that someone finally has his/her priorities in the right place. Football and war are very analogous--exploited members of lower socio-economic classes, tremendous waste of scarce resources, over-paid subsidiary industries--the only thing missing is a high death toll for innocent people that war provides, but then again, football season is only in the autumn.

imagold 7 years, 8 months ago

Good point, Chris, but there were two lessons in that rant. 1) There's no "I" in "team" and 2) It's OK to curse like a madman when you're angry with someone. Learn from the first. Ignore the second. Remove the "f" words and the point is made just the same. The acceptance of such cursing by, apparently, all but a handful of us, is not trivial. It sets a terrible example.

oldvet 7 years, 8 months ago

The best coach I ever had would occasionally let us have it... and when his voice went up in intensity and volume and a few F's were thrown in, he had your absolute attention... and you paid 100% attention... or you paid the price later... We were all about the same age as these young men and we, as a team, got the message... sometimes you just have to get their attention... He was my Platoon Commander (Senior Drill Instructor) and his name was SSgt Zoucha... the best Marine I ever knew...

Bradley Menze 7 years, 8 months ago

That cuss word filled tirade shows how weak this guy is. If he can't convey his anger any better than that I don't have much respect for him as coach or a leader. The problem, I think is, he totally lost his temper. He just lost it b/c his guy did a cartwheel or whatever into the endzone. Bench him, tell him to run stairs, or whatever but don't have a temper tantrum on the field in front of your players.

There have been before and are now many better coaches that don't cuss their players out and show them a complete lack of respect. Nebraska's old football coach that won national titles is said to have never cussed out anyone in 20 years or however long he coached. He did get angry and people paid attention but he didn't act like a toddler.