Archive for Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Pedestrian injured in 23rd Street accident

September 18, 2007

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical personnel and LifeStar Helicopter Ambulance workers transport a man injured in car-pedestrian accident near 23rd and Vermont streets on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2007.  The helicopter landed at Haskell Indian Nations University around 5:30 p.m.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical personnel and LifeStar Helicopter Ambulance workers transport a man injured in car-pedestrian accident near 23rd and Vermont streets on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2007. The helicopter landed at Haskell Indian Nations University around 5:30 p.m.

Witnesses say a pedestrian crossing Vermont Street was struck by a vehicle turning left from 23rd Street heading north on Vermont around 5:15 p.m.

More details as they develop.

Comments

geekin_topekan 7 years, 7 months ago

Isn't that an illegal turn betwixt the hours of 4 and 6?

John Spencer 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope the pedestrian will be ok. Isn't there a fairly prominent sign there that says no left turn from 4-7? I don't think there should be left turns there ever, personally. Hmm, too much traffic,,, accidents? I know what we need!!!!

A Round-About!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

softball_sister 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope their OK I hope they do not have to hurt anyone!!Tell you now take your time now here on like turning and stop sighns and all more else.DO more traffic if you take your time still take your time even though people yell and scream at you alot!!Like the Chicken Poxs tgey have to take a while to go away and they itch like crazy!!!!

DO A ROUND-ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

softball_sister 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope their OK I hope they do not have to hurt anyone!!Tell you now take your time now here on like turning and stop sighns and all more else.DO more traffic if you take your time still take your time even though people yell and scream at you alot!!Like the Chicken Poxs they have to take a while to go away and they itch like crazy!!!!

overthemoon 7 years, 7 months ago

I ditto a comment made on another article about an accident. Why are all these accident victims in Lawrence being lifeflighted to KC??? Is there a problem with emergency treatment at LMH??

bretherite 7 years, 7 months ago

LMH is not a trauma hospital. They don't have the facilites for high level trauma victims. all they could do is stabilize and send them to KC so it is better just to have the victim go straight to KC.

overthemoon 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, they've got all sorts of swank lobbies and doctor's suites with all of the renovations and additions,,,too bad they didn't upgrade emergency services. With medical costs through the roof and insurance covering less all the time, it seems that this is an expensive way to deal with anything less than life threatening injuries.

But the thing is, I 've noticed that a lot of the people flown to KC are treated and released on the same day. That doesn't seem like high level trauma treatment, you know?

lawrencechick 7 years, 7 months ago

People get a clue...do you know how much it costs to run a Level 1 trauma center? You have to have 24 hour neurosurgery and trauma surgeon coverage to get that classification. LDCFM have criteria for flying POTENTIAL life threatening trauma. Anyone in health care knows what the "golden hour" is in trauma. You don't waste time sending someone to a hospital that does not have the right specialists. That hour could cost them their lives. Leave the decision making up to fire and medical and the people who actually know what they are talking about.

Godot 7 years, 7 months ago

I thought the multi million dollar remodel of LMH included a state of the art emergency room.

Sean Livingstone 7 years, 7 months ago

Though it's sad, but, hey, we all learn from this. Also, at least the driver didn't run away.

Godot 7 years, 7 months ago

Come on. Was it a child or an adult? Give us a clue.

Sigmund 7 years, 7 months ago

CoolAid, if you don't know why possible trauma patients are Life Flighted then you haven't been paying attention. A variant of the "Why Life Flight?" question gets asked, and answered, every time it is mentioned. The emphatic tone of the responses is meant to discourage others from asking it over and over again. And I didn't see that the proposed business park expansion included 737's....

BlackVelvet 7 years, 7 months ago

There was a recent report of a person injured in a vehicle accident. They were transported via helicopter to a KC area hospital where they were "treated and released the same day." Must not have been injured that badly huh.

What kind of illness/injury DOES LMH treat?

Ralph Reed 7 years, 7 months ago

I wonder how the comments got from concern for the victim to railing at LMH? How closed minded. I hope the vicitm isn't hurt too badly.

The article says, "One person was flown by emergency helicopter to an area hospital after being injured in an accident at 23rd and Vermont." It does not say 'lifeflighted to KC'. My wife saw the chopper head west. That's a really long trip if they're heading to KC - hope they took a sack lunch. So, don't start complaining about something until you've got your facts straight. Additionally, usually the only time a wreck makes the "news" here is when someone is lifeflighted. You never read about the uncounted accidents and emergency calls taken to LMH. Emergencies, many of them life threatening, that are taken care of efficiently, professionally and kindly. Why don't you concentrate on those?

I came down Louisiana about 1830 (excuse me, 6:30 pm), and trucks and lights were still in the area. Let's see, 180 lb person (or less) vs a 2-1/2 ton car? I'd say the person is hurt pretty severely, probably beyond the capabilities of LMH. I would expect him or her to be flown to an area hospital. Sounds like LMH emergency room made a good call, so let it alone. (probably the same people who b*tch about teachers making too much money)

lawrencechick 7 years, 7 months ago

Michael J- Paramedics do not have xray vision in the middle of the accident scene. Someone that looks fine at the moment could have a serious liver injury that could make them bleed out in an hour, or a brain injury that may not develop symptoms for an hour. They rely heavily on the mechanism of the accident or injury when making the decision to fly someone and how likely that could have caused internal damage. For every 1 that is sent to a trauma center there are probably 30 that are not.

Cool- my comments were more gered toward previous cynical posters who make up reasons when they don't have anything educated to say.

smithgirl 7 years, 7 months ago

I happen to know the young man who is the pedestrian in question. He is a 15yr old teenager. He sustained a leg fracture and Possible head injury. This is why he was taken to a Trauma Equipped Hospital. I'd like to ask all of you who read this to say a prayer for him, his family and the driver that hit him.

God Bless

terrapin2 7 years, 7 months ago

I do hope the victim will be OK. Remember folks, some of the less populated states in this country only have a single Level 1 trauma center! We are very lucky to be so close to KC or we'd really be screwed when it comes to injuries like this.

LMH did upgrade it's emergency room, but it is intended for much less serious injuries. Any internal injuries, like those of a pedestrian being hit by a car, are much better treated at a trauma center.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 7 months ago

I spoke with the people in the car. The two kids were trying to cross the street in very heavy traffic, and one of them darted from between cars into their path. Neither the kid nor they saw the other.

They were pretty shook up, as you might expect, and their main concern was that the kid would have a full recovery.

terrapin2 7 years, 7 months ago

"....very heavy traffic..." On Vermont street? Maybe on 23rd St, but not on Vermont, just North of 23rd St. I'll be interested to hear the full story, independent of both parties involved. Again, I hope his injuries won't be longterm issues.

Sakura 7 years, 7 months ago

terrapin2: NO, the CAR was on 23rd St. attempting to turn left ONTO Vermont. That is illegal during rush hour traffic, I believe 4-7 pm. So, no Vermont isn't that busy, but trying to turn off 23rd onto Ohio, Tennessee or Vermont during those hours is just dangerous, not to mention a traffic jam! It is my understanding the young man will be alright, although as someone said before I am sure the driver as well as victim were all frightened beyond understanding.. Read the signs... It is alot cheaper for the city than a round-a-bout, not to mention the construction on 23rd that would need to take place to put in a round-a-bout, that would kill traffic for probably a year or more in Lawrence, road construction does not seem to be a speedy process in this city.

Retta H-b 7 years, 7 months ago

I was a passenger in the car that hit him. We were heading east on 23rd. We were about to pull into the left hand turn lane to turn left on Mass. We were slowing down. Traffic was backed up almost to Vermont. All of the sudden we hit a kid with a traffic cone on his head. He went into the windsheild. leaving a chunk of hair. We might have been going 15-20 mphI. I was hysterical. Jumped out He was conscience and talking. the other kid who fortunately did not get hit was pretty shaken up. The police confiscated the traffic cones.

We have since talked to the kid and his parents on the phone . His leg is broken and will need a pin. No head trauma or internal injuries. We are all greatly relieved.

~retta hb

Retta H-b 7 years, 7 months ago

Yes that is me.........

The two boys were crossing 23rd street. Not Vermont. the JW got it wrong.

And yes it is a strange coincidence........what are you implying?

My big concern is that these things don't come in threes!

Retta H-b 7 years, 7 months ago

And by the way we were not heading North on Vermont we were heading east on 23rd when we hit the kid.

Retta H-b 7 years, 7 months ago

Skeptical about what? I was stopped on 59 for construction.... I observed a truck rush through the stop. (I did not see the actual hit and run.)

Yesterday two kids with traffic cones on their heads ran across 23rd street during rush hour traffic. to my horror we hit one.

Wow. this place is stressful. signing out now. bye

Retta H-b 7 years, 7 months ago

My full name is Lauretta Hendricks Backus. Check it out. Passenger in car yesterday. Witness on 9/11 59 highway incident.

KRussell 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey I'm one of the kids that were crossing the street yesterday, we did cross 23rd, traffic was backed up from the stoplight at 23rd and mass, we walked through the stopped cars, so i only looked right down 23rd to see if cars were coming, when i saw none i yelled run, Matt was faster than me, and i happened before i could do anything, we didnt see the car coming down the yellow lines, it hit matt and missed me by inches, we're lucky it was such a small car. he called me last night from the hospital, hes fine he just has a broken leg and a cut up head. The ppl that hit him were really nice,, and thanks to anyone that might have been there and called 911!

KRussell 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh and if Laurettes still on ..Simon says hi...

Sakura 7 years, 7 months ago

Just running some errands this morning, the no left turn off 23rd on Ohio, Tenn. and Vermont is from 7-9 am, and 4-6 pm... I still say READ the signs, 3 round-a-bouts would cost the city a fortune!

woxy 7 years, 7 months ago

It appears that failure to read the sign was not what caused the problem since the car was not actually turning onto Vermont, although reading the signs is still good advice. Another piece of good advice: If a street is so busy that you aren't allowed to turn left off it when in a car, consider using the crosswalks to cross it when you're a pedestrian.

I saw these same kids an hour or so earlier (unless there were other teenage boys running rampant in the area with orange traffic cones). What in the heck were you kids doing? Be thankful that only one of you was hurt, and he was not hurt critically. I know teenagers think they are invincible. I hope you are now convinced that you are not, and that it is not lame to use the crosswalk. It's lame to be lame because you didn't.

Retta- Take it easy for a few days. You've been through some rough stuff! Perhaps someone up there needed a credible witness and some kindness shown to teenagers when they are hurt doing something dumb, and you were the right person for both jobs.

pbfh88 7 years, 7 months ago

Retta is correct in her statements, as is the young man that was nearly hit. Traffic was backed up in the eastbound lane of 23rd Street and the left turn signal just turned green. Those of you who just assume they were turning onto Vermont are incorrect -- they were approaching Mass St. Vermont just happens to be the point of impact. I had just turned right off of Mass onto 23rd Street when I saw two boys with orange cones on their heads come out from between the stopped cars darting across the street. (They were on Vermont St. crossing 23rd -- south heading north). The gentleman that hit the boy was absolutely devastated as was the passenger in his vehicle. I'm so thankful to read that Matt will be ok. When I saw the accident, I was afraid his injuries would be much, much worse.

Tammy Yergey 7 years, 7 months ago

Retta, Ignore all these people. I'm sorry that you've had to witness so much. I'm glad to hear the boy is doing well. You both need to take it easy.

theeyeshaveit 7 years, 7 months ago

From another article in today's paper: ¢ A 16-year-old Lawrence teen was transported by air ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka with nonlife-threatening injuries Tuesday afternoon after being struck by a vehicle near the intersection of Vermont and 23rd streets.

Shortly after 5 p.m., Matt Bresheres of Lawrence was trying to cross 23rd Street from the south side on foot when he was hit by a vehicle driven by Oswald Backus, 54, or Lawrence, said Sgt. Mark Warren, a Lawrence police spokesman. Backus was eastbound on 23rd street and had moved left of center in anticipation of turning left onto Massachusetts Street when the incident occurred, Warren said.

theeyeshaveit 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh and thanks to all who posted that the kids had the traffic cones on their heads. I drove by the accident shortly after it happened (as the ambulance in the lane beside me was being flagged down) and couldn't figure out why those traffic cones were in the street on that side of the accident.