Letters to the Editor

Respect workers

September 14, 2007

To the editor:

It is a sad thing when a father can't say hello to his daughter, or a mother can't stop and hold her grandchild because they work for the city of Lawrence.

Both of my parents work for this great city of ours and both are in the "public eye."

I find it bewildering that there are people who would object to a hello or a hug between family members and friends.

I have always been courteous of the fact that my parents are at work and that they have a job to do, but if I come across them as they do their work or meet them on their lunch break, then I should be allowed to offer my father a hug and my mother a kiss without fearing the public will find it offensive or think my parents are slacking in their duties. My parents are hard workers, and they love their jobs but they love their family as well.

I just want to remind the public that though my mother and father have on uniforms they are still parents, grandparents and siblings. And as long as saying hello or offering that hug does not interfere with their duties then it should be no one's business but their own.

We should all remember that uniform or no uniform, we are all people with families that we love. And also try to remember that that's a person you're looking at - not a uniform.

Joanna Meyer,

Lawrence

Comments

sinister9128 6 years, 7 months ago

When you work for the City of Lawrence, you a LITERALLY a representative of the CITY! It's inappropriate to be seen doing personal business with the City logo on your uniform. If your parent was on a break, then go somewhere break related and chit chat there. It's no different than taking personal calls on the job. You are there to WORK, not attend to personal business or affairs. One of my parents works for the City and whenever I see them, I don't feel the need to hug them or possibly risk them getting in trouble. And why is this your battle to fight?? Your parents are grown adults who can fend for themselves, you posting in the City newspaper about issues at their job is just begging for attention to be placed on them from their superiors. Don't meddle, it could end up making more trouble in the end.

Nick Yoho 6 years, 7 months ago

More Hugs!!! for everybody!

Work Harder!!(Its Patriotic) or maybe idiotic.- no really,then you'll be able to consume more! Ain't life grand?

These folks aren't bloggers pity. They are comment posters.Bloggers write (sometimes)interesting articles that can stand on their own. Usually diary style.

Cuppatea 6 years, 7 months ago

Ok for one thing I think while you are working any job, regardless what it is. You should show a professional manner. If you happen to bump into a family member or friend, wherever you are working, take them over to the side and explain to them your working and it wouldn't look to professional if you were getting hugs from every Tom, Dick and Harry at your job. When it's your break or lunch, by all means hug away. But showing affection to loved ones by hugging in a professional atmosphere is really bad form. Unless you just found out you won the powerball, by all means hug away....

cynical 6 years, 7 months ago

Hawk, simple question. Are you a natural a$$hole or did you take lessons? Inquiring minds want to know.

pity2bu 6 years, 7 months ago

Well who the hell cares what anyone in this community thinks Joanna, give those members a hug, or a big kiss and to really set them off make it last a while!

These bloggers are just mad because no one wants to show them any public affection while they are at work, let alone at home... I don't care if your a sanitation worker, the city manager, the pope, or the president, it's just a job, yes I said, it's only a job and people can just get over themselves. Better yet, if they don't like, they don't have to look, turn your heads you little work place anti-affection heathens and kiss it....

Don't let these people ruin your day Joanna!

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 7 months ago

So, Joanna, what is your gripe? Are you disappointed that Corliss is your uncle and you cannot hug him in the lobby? Or are you a relative of a sanitation worker and you want to run out when the trash truck arrives and give hubby a hug before the next load is picked up? Or maybe your kids slept in and didn'tn see mommy go to work and ran into her in the parking lot giving out tickets? This is yet the worse letter to the editor to be printed. OOPs, forgot that maybe Joanna was in jail and just wanted to give the jailer a last hug.

This could be more of a first page story than the fat dude in tongie who is mayor.

JJE007 6 years, 7 months ago

Hey! We're here to WORK, no to LOVE! We're here to HATE! That's why gawd put us on earth! Quit your belly aching and tote that barge! Lift that bale! HEAVE HO!

Professional demeanor is a TOOL...if you know what I mean.

i_tching 6 years, 7 months ago

Some people insist that the family is the founding unit of society, that's it's so important its form must be enshrined in law.

But it is not as important as the way a retail worker presents themselves in the workplace. That, of course, is an over-riding concern and if workplace protocol requires "professional" and arms-length interaction with even family members, then so it goes.

Priorities, people, priorities.

mick 6 years, 7 months ago

We should also remember that city workers seem to be paid about double what they would be paid anywhere else. $56K for a hearing officer? Let's have the City publish employee salaries.

like_n_Lawrence 6 years, 7 months ago

...hummm...somethin tells me we aren't getting the whole story..."personnel issue" anyone?...

mom_of_three 6 years, 7 months ago

As family, we may not like it, but they are at work...

mom_of_three 6 years, 7 months ago

Then be bewildered, because it happens in many workplaces, including retail. If you are the job, then you must maintain a professional demeanor, and unless you are on a break, you should not be hugging family or friends.

i_tching 6 years, 7 months ago

Family: that's what it's all about.