Letters to the Editor

Muslim belief

October 26, 2007

To the editor:

What Carroll Mills wrote in her Oct. 19 letter is not accurate. First of all, no Muslim gets offended if someone says that we worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Does she know that Ishmael and Isaac were the two sons of Abraham? If she knows this, then how can the Gods be different for Jews, Christians and Muslims?

These verses in the Quran prove that the God of all three religions is the same. "When the death was approaching Jacob, he asked his sons, 'What will you worship after me?' They said, 'We will worship your God, the God of Abraham, Ishmael and Isaac, One God and Him we submit (in Islam).'" (2:133).

As per the first article of faith in Islam (Shahada), we Muslims believe that there is only one God who created the whole universe. We do not associate any partner with God nor take others as lords besides Him. Jesus is a prophet for Muslims just like Abraham, Moses, Noah, David, Jacob and Mohammed are prophets mentioned in the Quran.

Mills believes that Allah is the Moon God because the crescent moon and star are the symbol of the faith of Islam. If the faith symbol is the basis for determining whether two faiths worship the same God, then Christianity and Judaism do not have the same God. Their Gods must be different as one has Cross as the faith symbol and the other Star of David.

Najabat Abbasi,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 5 months ago

All you heathens need to embrace the Flying Spaghetti Monster. All shall behold His Noodly Appendage.

Fatty_McButterpants 7 years, 5 months ago

It might not be in bad taste but you might be stopped by the police if you strap on a fake looking bomb vest and run around screaming "jihad!" or "allah akbar!"

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree with Fatty. Terrorists may get you in trouble depending on your "accessories," but doing a Sheik or something like that may be safer. Get yourself a ghetto blaster and rock some Clash!

Sherif, he don't like it . . . Rock the Casbah, rock the Casbah. . . .

BunE 7 years, 5 months ago

Would it be in bad taste if I dressed up like an evangelical preacher and just took money out of people's wallets, suggest that the US government kill certain world leaders, saying "praise jesus" and telling homosexuals that they are going to hell? (All the time buying crank off of a male protitute during sleepover massage dates?)

matahari 7 years, 5 months ago

I googled the name Najabat Abbasi, and found that this is the head of the islamic center of Lawrence, no need to try and guess the gender...........

b_asinbeer 7 years, 5 months ago

Seriously right_thinker...tell me. It's ok. I'm dying to find out. I guess you don't have the b@!!s to say it to someone's face. Throwing out lies and insults behind the computer seems much easier, doesn't it?

Speakout 7 years, 5 months ago

Well, God did call a press conference and make a state of the heavens address: It is called the Qur'an. You should read it and you would know exactly what God thinks and what He wants.

Confrontation 7 years, 5 months ago

Watch the Christians bash the Muslims on this post, and then watch the Christians cry because they are bashed on other posts.

Ceallach 7 years, 5 months ago

Anonymous user right_thinker (Anonymous) says:

.........I was thinking, why doesn't some god, any god, hold a press conference or give a "State of the Heavens" address and tell us once and for all:

Careful what you ask for r_t :)

Ceallach 7 years, 5 months ago

I googled the name Najabat Abbasi, and found that this is the head of the islamic center of Lawrence, no need to try and guess the gender:::..

It's just a letter to the editor and Najabat Abbasi can write as many as he/she wants. That is as long as he is here. I'm not sure the same freedom is given to individuals in most Islamic dominated nations. Then again, Najabat could write another letter and let us know about that. He's free to do so.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 5 months ago

A lot of bigots around here...no surprise.

Too bad they don't have the guts to say that to someone's face....or write a letter to the editor with their names published.

camper 7 years, 5 months ago

Are abraham, Isaac, and Jacob the same dudes that Dion wrote a song about?

Speakout 7 years, 5 months ago

002.193:

"And fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors."

I think this is pretty self evident. Fight those who persecute you and that religion is only for God to decide. IF they stop fighting you, you stop fighting them.

This is what Muslims are supposed to do.

Does it matter the gender of the letter writer?

b_asinbeer 7 years, 5 months ago

rt: "How do you know some of us LJW neighbors havn't? Have you?"

Ok, which one did you write? I'll read it right now.

Speakout 7 years, 5 months ago

Passion, you are right to question some of those phrases, but remember that God didn't reveal this on one day. IT was revealed over several years, I think about 23. AND he answered questions raised by the prophet about certain texts so that Muhammad would have it correct. The truth of those passages comes in the context of when and why they were revealed. There are several scholars who have written about that. WHat is important is that those who refused to believe in God are admonished to believe and if they still will not, their hearts are sealed, but they are sealed by their own desire to not believe.

He also says that if one turns to Him, He will turn to them and if they walk to Him, God will run to them. This concept of forgiveness is the main thrust of faith. Not everyone understands everything all the time and if one turns to God, He will forgive them and turn to them.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 5 months ago

just to correct one thing...Jesus is not merely a prophet, or a good man, in my faith he is one with God and is entirely God with the Father and the Spirit. this means that the God of Jesus is not the God of Islam. now, lest you jump on me as intolerant, I appreciate the freedom to believe in the u.s. and and value it for muslims too. I believe, thus I believe in what I have as right. I respect others' beliefs.

btw, I've had a small bit of interaction with the LTE writer and found him friendly and considerate.

Rationalanimal 7 years, 5 months ago

"We do not associate any partner with God nor take others as lords besides Him. Jesus is a prophet for Muslims just like Abraham, Moses, Noah, David, Jacob and Mohammed are prophets mentioned in the Quran."

Respectfully, christians believe that Jesus Christ was the divine Son of God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and that Mohammed was not a prophet.