Letters to the Editor

Use the wind

October 25, 2007

To the editor:

Kansas is known for wind power as in the Wizard of Oz. So why aren't we harvesting it as they do in the Lamar, Colo., Green Power Project? More than 25 percent of the energy to this area in Lamar is supplied by the windmills. We know because we visited Lamar this summer.

For us not to use this green resource is like those who live near Niagara Falls not to use the falls for hydro-electric power. Not to use your resources is stupid and wasteful.

There are more than 300 gigantic windmills of the GE Power Project in Lamar with three vanes on each one to catch the wind from any direction. Some weren't moving at all because it wasn't a windy day when we were there. Our coal and oil supply won't last forever. Use the wind when you have it and conserve.

Hanging laundry on the line when it's sunny or windy instead of using the dryer is another way to conserve energy.

Mary Ann Kieffer,

Lawrence

Comments

Kookamooka 7 years, 6 months ago

She's right. "Kansas" means the people of the South wind. It's funny to think that the residents of Massachusetts would sooner install wind turbines off the coast of Cape Cod, destroying the view AND endangering the ocean birds and habitat, before we install them on the dry, boring plains of SW Kansas. The wind blows across this state almost incessantly. We have a great natural resource in the wind and if you ask me....I think giant windmills are totally cool. I'd trek out the SW Kansas just to see them in action. (read: Tourism dollars!)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 6 months ago

She's right. "Kansas" means the people of the South wind.

Well, Kansas is pretty flat.....

jimbrad 7 years, 6 months ago

Mary Ann, just how did you travel to Colorado? By plane, or did you drive? If you drove there on I-70 you would have noticed that west of Salina there is (for lack of a better term) a "windfarm" with several active wind turbines and many more under construction.
Kansas is, admittedly, a bit behind the times, but will eventually come into the 21st century.

dirkleisure 7 years, 6 months ago

Westar has committed $500 million to purchase 500 MW of wind energy.

Contrast that to the $3.6 billion with a b boondoggle Sunflower Electric is proposoing for 1,400 MW.

Hmmm.... $500 million for 500 MW of clean energy, $3.6 billion with a b for 1,400 MW of filthy energy...

Wind energy is not the future. It is the present, and the best way to add additional power to our current system.

imastinker 7 years, 6 months ago

dirk - there's more to that. People aren't stupid. If it was cheaper to do wind power, they would.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

Where's merrill? He's normally on things like this like white on rice. I'm sure he'll be around eventually to tell us we should washing our dishes in our own urine.

MartinPrince 7 years, 6 months ago

logicsound, you just gave the prime example for this. Everyone (including me) thinks this is a great idea for somewhere else. However if the plan is to put 50 across the street then everyone (including me) would probably protest.

verity 7 years, 6 months ago

I am a liberal, progressive, secular etc., etc. All those things that send people like RT into hissy fits and the immediate creation of straw men to attack.

You can put windmills in my backyard, my frontyard, any place you want, on top of my house for that matter. Please do.

WhoopiGoldbergStinks 7 years, 6 months ago

Hanging laundry on a line goes against most restrictive covenants and is a violation of most, if not all, local ordinances. Look it up.

Ban beans and any food Mexican that breaks the wind.

dirkleisure 7 years, 6 months ago

There's not more to it than that. It is simple math.

$3.6 billion with a b for 1,400 MW of unsustainable coal plants.

$500 million for 500 MW of wind.

And guess what else? The National Renewable Energy Laboratory has concluded that the construction of wind energy creates more jobs that a new coal plant.

Where is the economic argument for more coal?

chchcherrybomb 7 years, 6 months ago

A friend of mine who wants to lease his Flint HIlls land to a power company to build wind turbines (and is getting some opposition) did some research and found that way back when in Holland, there was a great debate over whether the building of windmills would negatively affect the landscape.

average 7 years, 6 months ago

Whoopi - "Hanging laundry on a line goes against most restrictive covenants and is a violation of most, if not all, local ordinances."

It may be against many HOA covenants, but I refuse to live under such petty fascists. It is not against most local ordinances (certainly not Lawrence's), and I wouldn't move anywhere there was such a stupid law.

dirkleisure 7 years, 6 months ago

360,000 windmills is completely without merit. It is a fascist myth.

Post whatever dribble you like, I will say again that Westar is purchasing 500 MW of wind generated power for $500 million. And I don't see 360,000 windmills being used to generate it.

Myth. Never let the facts get in the way of your misguided points, fascists.

snowWI 7 years, 6 months ago

"Perhaps the city ought to turn the old Farmland plant into a huge wind farm. I'm sure the folks in eastern Lawrence would love that."

Good idea. They are too afraid to designate the contaminated area of Farmland as a Superfund cleanup site. Build the wind farms on the contaminated area. LOL However, it would be an excellent plan to clean up the contamination first!

KsTwister 7 years, 6 months ago

If Wind energy is such a bad idea then explain the reason for many Electric companies starting to procure funds for starting them. Of course, by the time they get done building them they will charge you and arm and a leg for their hidden costs. Kansas Westar is placing 300MW's of wind energy scheduled to be online in 2008. So as the rest of Kansas drags its feet(I'll repeat this): "In 1991, a national wind resource inventory taken by the U.S. Department of Energy startled the world when it reported that the three most wind-rich states-North Dakota, Kansas, and Texas-had enough harnessable wind energy to satisfy national electricity needs"

No treehugger comments here just plain common sense. Oops, forgot Kansas lost theirs. This state could make money selling it, imagine that. Or imagine having a city that could power its own buses and have something to really offer businesses.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Color me pinko and commie liberal! Hell yeah, put a wind farm on the Farmland site - and yes, I do live and work in that area and it's still fine by me! The wind blows like a b*stard on that highway so let 'er rip!! I don't think the generated power will get contaminated, also it will keep people from living on that proprerty. Better get the extreme hazmat suits on for those constructing it though.

If it will pay for my power you can put one in my back yard, on top of my house, whatever ya need, dude.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 6 months ago

I'd welcome a windfarm in my backyard. I think they look kind of cool and futuristic...I'd love all the money I'd be saving and feel good about using green energy.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 6 months ago

"I'd welcome a windfarm in my backyard.... As far as the birds, I'm sure a few will be sacrificed but they'd eventually learn to avoid them."

Problem is... that "first lesson" is a killer.

KsTwister 7 years, 6 months ago

So far Grandma's house is averaging 10-12 birds a year in spite of what she puts over her patio window or on the glass; so mother said go ahead and put one in her yard! Noticed the hospital gets quite a few birds too, and after their 30 minute blackout early this week I suspect they could use a wind turbine back-up plan.

Mkh 7 years, 6 months ago

Pilgrim (Anonymous) says:

"No, no, we can't burn coal for electricity!

OK. Well then, let's build nuclear power plants.

No, no, we might all glow in the dark!

OK. Well then, let's build a bunch of windmills to generate electricity.

No, no, they kill too many birds and are a blight on the landscape!

OK. Let's all sit around in the dark and curse the bad old days.

Yea, darkness!

This conversation brought to you by the Sierra Club and the rest of the enviro-Chicken Littles."

Pilgrim,

Being the intelligent individual that you are, you of course realize that the Sierra Club is funded by the Rockefellers. Therefore you would naturally know that alternative energy (including "clean burning coal") has been purposely kept out of use for the public by the powerful central bankers.

I mean, you didn't think the Hippies were really running things, did You?