Letters to the Editor

Use the wind

October 25, 2007

To the editor:

Kansas is known for wind power as in the Wizard of Oz. So why aren't we harvesting it as they do in the Lamar, Colo., Green Power Project? More than 25 percent of the energy to this area in Lamar is supplied by the windmills. We know because we visited Lamar this summer.

For us not to use this green resource is like those who live near Niagara Falls not to use the falls for hydro-electric power. Not to use your resources is stupid and wasteful.

There are more than 300 gigantic windmills of the GE Power Project in Lamar with three vanes on each one to catch the wind from any direction. Some weren't moving at all because it wasn't a windy day when we were there. Our coal and oil supply won't last forever. Use the wind when you have it and conserve.

Mary Ann Kieffer,

Lawrence

Comments

none2 6 years, 5 months ago

If you want to freak out the anti-wind nimby people, threaten to also put a clothes line in while you are at it.

Mkh 6 years, 5 months ago

Pilgrim (Anonymous) says:

"No, no, we can't burn coal for electricity!

OK. Well then, let's build nuclear power plants.

No, no, we might all glow in the dark!

OK. Well then, let's build a bunch of windmills to generate electricity.

No, no, they kill too many birds and are a blight on the landscape!

OK. Let's all sit around in the dark and curse the bad old days.

Yea, darkness!

This conversation brought to you by the Sierra Club and the rest of the enviro-Chicken Littles."

Pilgrim,

Being the intelligent individual that you are, you of course realize that the Sierra Club is funded by the Rockefellers. Therefore you would naturally know that alternative energy (including "clean burning coal") has been purposely kept out of use for the public by the powerful central bankers.

I mean, you didn't think the Hippies were really running things, did You?

KsTwister 6 years, 5 months ago

So far Grandma's house is averaging 10-12 birds a year in spite of what she puts over her patio window or on the glass; so mother said go ahead and put one in her yard! Noticed the hospital gets quite a few birds too, and after their 30 minute blackout early this week I suspect they could use a wind turbine back-up plan.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

"I'd welcome a windfarm in my backyard.... As far as the birds, I'm sure a few will be sacrificed but they'd eventually learn to avoid them."

Problem is... that "first lesson" is a killer.

Roadkill_Rob 6 years, 5 months ago

I'd welcome a windfarm in my backyard. I think they look kind of cool and futuristic...I'd love all the money I'd be saving and feel good about using green energy.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

Color me pinko and commie liberal! Hell yeah, put a wind farm on the Farmland site - and yes, I do live and work in that area and it's still fine by me! The wind blows like a b*stard on that highway so let 'er rip!! I don't think the generated power will get contaminated, also it will keep people from living on that proprerty. Better get the extreme hazmat suits on for those constructing it though.

If it will pay for my power you can put one in my back yard, on top of my house, whatever ya need, dude.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

Verity, I'm in no way against wind farms. I say turn KS into one big wind farm----driving across KS would then be awesome!

KsTwister 6 years, 5 months ago

If Wind energy is such a bad idea then explain the reason for many Electric companies starting to procure funds for starting them. Of course, by the time they get done building them they will charge you and arm and a leg for their hidden costs. Kansas Westar is placing 300MW's of wind energy scheduled to be online in 2008. So as the rest of Kansas drags its feet(I'll repeat this): "In 1991, a national wind resource inventory taken by the U.S. Department of Energy startled the world when it reported that the three most wind-rich states-North Dakota, Kansas, and Texas-had enough harnessable wind energy to satisfy national electricity needs"

No treehugger comments here just plain common sense. Oops, forgot Kansas lost theirs. This state could make money selling it, imagine that. Or imagine having a city that could power its own buses and have something to really offer businesses.

snowWI 6 years, 5 months ago

"Perhaps the city ought to turn the old Farmland plant into a huge wind farm. I'm sure the folks in eastern Lawrence would love that."

Good idea. They are too afraid to designate the contaminated area of Farmland as a Superfund cleanup site. Build the wind farms on the contaminated area. LOL However, it would be an excellent plan to clean up the contamination first!

posessionannex 6 years, 5 months ago

360,000 windmills is completely without merit. It is a fascist myth.

Lamar is 1/300th the size of Kansas, with 300 windmills that supply 25% of the town's power. 300 * 300 * 4 = 360,000.

Not scientific, I know, but I was just curious and the number amazed me.

As for "fascist myth" I didn't know my post would be elevated to mythical status so quickly!

dirkleisure 6 years, 5 months ago

360,000 windmills is completely without merit. It is a fascist myth.

Post whatever dribble you like, I will say again that Westar is purchasing 500 MW of wind generated power for $500 million. And I don't see 360,000 windmills being used to generate it.

Myth. Never let the facts get in the way of your misguided points, fascists.

posessionannex 6 years, 5 months ago

The solution is 360,000 windmills? That will be lovely.

average 6 years, 5 months ago

Whoopi - "Hanging laundry on a line goes against most restrictive covenants and is a violation of most, if not all, local ordinances."

It may be against many HOA covenants, but I refuse to live under such petty fascists. It is not against most local ordinances (certainly not Lawrence's), and I wouldn't move anywhere there was such a stupid law.

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 5 months ago

"snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says: Where's merrill? He's normally on things like this like white on rice. I'm sure he'll be around eventually to tell us we should washing our dishes in our own urine."

Best. Post. Evar.

overplayedhistory 6 years, 5 months ago

This is not a conservative vrs. liberal issue! To quote Chris Rock" I got some things I am liberal about and some things I am conservative about". There is nothing conservative about coal power.

Would you stop with the fruit bats our going to be upset about the birds please! Thank you Dirk for stating the should be obvious. Wind power is not the future it is the present.

There are resources and opportunity for a more stable economy being missed in this state. Subsidized farming economy is a misuse of resources as well. The last time I checked the sun shines about 265 days a year too.

Also we are all aware that the sun and wind come and go. There is a very simple solution for that. Westar has to be required to buy power for the same that they charge for it. Look at where this is done and use see wide spread use of wind and solar. Before you say the Dirty S word think about how farmers have to sell grain for a price set by the government. The farmer needs that government check so the bank won't take their land. All basically so America does not have to discover any other meat besides chicken, pork, or beef. I like to eat all sorts of freshly dead stuff.

If someone wants to wright off what I say as a liberal spew you have not left you own backyard. I would much rather have every coal plant replaced by nuclear power for the needs that are not yet met by more renewable sources. Coal power should have been done away with 2 decades ago. It stopped making long term economic sense back then.

I ask you just for moment to step out of your constrictive political box and not turn your self off to this technology because tree huggers like it.

chchcherrybomb 6 years, 5 months ago

A friend of mine who wants to lease his Flint HIlls land to a power company to build wind turbines (and is getting some opposition) did some research and found that way back when in Holland, there was a great debate over whether the building of windmills would negatively affect the landscape.

dirkleisure 6 years, 5 months ago

There's not more to it than that. It is simple math.

$3.6 billion with a b for 1,400 MW of unsustainable coal plants.

$500 million for 500 MW of wind.

And guess what else? The National Renewable Energy Laboratory has concluded that the construction of wind energy creates more jobs that a new coal plant.

Where is the economic argument for more coal?

DotsLines 6 years, 5 months ago

"Where's the prime example? In all the threads about wind power, I can't remember anyone giving the "not in my backyard" argument."

Maybe not specifically against windmills, but didn't Douglas County just say no to a single cellular tower somewhere south of Lawrence?

The problem with the pure NIMBY attitude is that it doesn't matter how much of a good idea it is or not. It doesn't matter how much people approve of it, want it, even demand it. When the construction equipment starts showing up across the street, people have a funny way of changing their minds. Maybe nobody has expressed their resistance in the other threads, but then nobody has sent them a letter from the planning commission showing how they're going to be in their backyards yet, either.

madmike 6 years, 5 months ago

Wait a minute kookamooka, Good ol' Ted Kennedy has blocked those wind turbines because they impede the view for filthy rich in Cape cod!

WhoopiGoldbergStinks 6 years, 5 months ago

Hanging laundry on a line goes against most restrictive covenants and is a violation of most, if not all, local ordinances. Look it up.

Ban beans and any food Mexican that breaks the wind.

verity 6 years, 5 months ago

I am a liberal, progressive, secular etc., etc. All those things that send people like RT into hissy fits and the immediate creation of straw men to attack.

You can put windmills in my backyard, my frontyard, any place you want, on top of my house for that matter. Please do.

MartinPrince 6 years, 5 months ago

logicsound, you just gave the prime example for this. Everyone (including me) thinks this is a great idea for somewhere else. However if the plan is to put 50 across the street then everyone (including me) would probably protest.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

"..."the strobelike effect from the blades' shadows".......-LS04

That'd be a great idea---go out in the middle of a windfarm and eat some 'shrooms.....think about it.

Pilgrim 6 years, 5 months ago

No, no, we can't burn coal for electricity!

OK. Well then, let's build nuclear power plants.

No, no, we might all glow in the dark!

OK. Well then, let's build a bunch of windmills to generate electricity.

No, no, they kill too many birds and are a blight on the landscape!

OK. Let's all sit around in the dark and curse the bad old days.

Yea, darkness!

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

"Bowhunter99 (Anonymous) says:

Here's another prime example of 'NOT in MY backyard':. Watch the liberals come out of the woodwork as soon as someone mentions a windfarm in Douglas County: they'll do what they can to stop it because of 'aesthetic reasons' or 'noise' or 'killing the blah-blah frog that jumps':."

Well, except for a handful of these idiots:

And I should point out that their opposition is based on some (ridiculously erronious) belief that the turbines will cause health problems because of "the whooping sound" and "the strobelike effect from the blades' shadows".

It just goes to show that people will find a reason to oppose anything they don't fully understand. Especially if it's big and scary like a wind turbine.

These people remind me of the group in Denver (in 1979) that got agitated about the notion that standard power lines were causing childhood leukemia. Even though there was no meaningful connection between the two, their neighborhood in Denver had an above average occurrence of leukemia, so they were convinced that the local microwave towers were to blame. I guarantee that the size and appearance of the towers contributed to their impression.

imastinker 6 years, 5 months ago

dirk - there's more to that. People aren't stupid. If it was cheaper to do wind power, they would.

Bowhunter99 6 years, 5 months ago

Here's another prime example of 'NOT in MY backyard'.... Watch the liberals come out of the woodwork as soon as someone mentions a windfarm in Douglas County... they'll do what they can to stop it because of 'aesthetic reasons' or 'noise' or 'killing the blah-blah frog that jumps'....

dirkleisure 6 years, 5 months ago

Westar has committed $500 million to purchase 500 MW of wind energy.

Contrast that to the $3.6 billion with a b boondoggle Sunflower Electric is proposoing for 1,400 MW.

Hmmm.... $500 million for 500 MW of clean energy, $3.6 billion with a b for 1,400 MW of filthy energy...

Wind energy is not the future. It is the present, and the best way to add additional power to our current system.

PROAMERICA 6 years, 5 months ago

Mary Ann Kieffer..............aren't you "special". You could also use the aggravating wind power you have coming from your mouth!

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

"Hanging laundry on the line when it's sunny or windy instead of using the dryer is another way to conserve energy."

Huh? And miss little Johnnys soccer game and little Suzies piano recital?

jimbrad 6 years, 5 months ago

Mary Ann, just how did you travel to Colorado? By plane, or did you drive? If you drove there on I-70 you would have noticed that west of Salina there is (for lack of a better term) a "windfarm" with several active wind turbines and many more under construction.
Kansas is, admittedly, a bit behind the times, but will eventually come into the 21st century.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

She's right. "Kansas" means the people of the South wind.

Well, Kansas is pretty flat.....

Kookamooka 6 years, 5 months ago

She's right. "Kansas" means the people of the South wind. It's funny to think that the residents of Massachusetts would sooner install wind turbines off the coast of Cape Cod, destroying the view AND endangering the ocean birds and habitat, before we install them on the dry, boring plains of SW Kansas. The wind blows across this state almost incessantly. We have a great natural resource in the wind and if you ask me....I think giant windmills are totally cool. I'd trek out the SW Kansas just to see them in action. (read: Tourism dollars!)

Ragingbear 6 years, 5 months ago

Silly Rabbit. Trix are for kids!