Letters to the Editor

Random kindness

October 25, 2007

To the editor:

Over the weekend I had a very pleasant experience. I stopped at Hy-Vee on Sixth Street to buy gas. When I went inside to pay for the gas, something very pleasant happened. The clerk, a young girl asked for the pump number and I started to pay for the gas. She informed me that the gas had been paid for.

"How can that be?" I asked. She pointed to the tall blond smiling man standing by the counter. I thought, is this a joke? The other clerk, a young man, said, "He has been doing this all morning."

I looked at the blond young man and said, "You have done your good deed for the day." He just smiled and said, "I have always wanted to do this."

I don't know his name, but if this is printed I hope he reads it because he needs to know his good deed was appreciated.

Virginia Parsons,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 2 months ago

OK... That may seem nice... But it's also incredibly creepy.

matahari 7 years, 2 months ago

Hmm, interesting...I wonder if he got your licence plate number.

woxy 7 years, 2 months ago

Creepy? I'm glad the guy didn't pay for YOUR gas. As for the license plate thing, there are lots cheaper ways to get license plate numbers than buying gas for people all morning. I'm glad the guy didn't pay for YOUR gas either. What good is it collect license plate numbers? Cuz you can do it standing on a street corner all day.

My guess is the guy won or inherited some money and wanted to do a good deed, relatively anonymously. I hope everyone who was a recipient of his generosity was as grateful as Virginia!

Confrontation 7 years, 2 months ago

It's pretty sad when there are so few good deeds that every good deed is considered "creepy."

John Kyle 7 years, 2 months ago

right_thinker Thank you for your personal example of paranoid thought.

ontheotherhand 7 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, right_thinker, but you do not have to be liberal to be creeped out by what might be a random act of kindness (or might be something else). Remember the "do not accept candy from strangers" line we give to our kids? Does that make the parents liberal or does it make them cautious?

As a female, I would be extremely nervous if a stranger was paying for my gas.

By the way, there you go again with your name-calling. :)

paavopetie 7 years, 2 months ago

i'd be sure to get a receipt. i'll be damned if i drive off and then they bust me for stealing gas.

Katara 7 years, 2 months ago

That was nice of him.

If he had bad intentions, why would he stay there where he could easily be identified by the clerks?

erod0723 7 years, 2 months ago

Is the lady in question that got free gas a cougar? That would make a considerable difference if I were planning on giving someone gas or not...

black_butterfly 7 years, 2 months ago

LOL @ erod, LOVE your comment!

I'm surprised all of the smart alecks on here haven't already said............. "Maybe it was JESUS himself!" Oh that's right, no one believes in God or Jesus anymore