Archive for Thursday, October 18, 2007

Brownback reported to end his presidential campaign

October 18, 2007

Republican Sam Brownback will drop out of the 2008 presidential campaign on Friday, people close to the Kansas senator said Thursday.

Brownback, a longshot conservative contender, had trouble raising money to compete in the race. He is expected announce his withdrawal in Topeka, Kan.

He raised a little more than $800,000 in the third quarter of this year, his lowest quarterly amount since entering race. He has brought in more than $4 million overall and is eligible for $2 million in federal matching funds.

"I know Senator Brownback enjoyed campaigning and meeting new people in talking about ideas for the future of America, but I think it came down to money," said one person close to Brownback, who requested anonymity because the candidate had not yet announced his plans.

Brownback, who is in his second term, had said in his first Senate campaign he would serve no more than two terms in Senate. He is widely expected to seek the Kansas governor's office in 2010.

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Now if only we can get an article that says "Brownback to end his Senatorial Career." Preferably with the words "On charges of _" would be nice as well.

Mkh 7 years, 8 months ago

"When Ron Paul is whipping your butt, well, yep, probably time to get back to work and actually do your job."

So your saying that All the GOP candidates should concede to Paul...hmmmmm, I like that idea.

CindiCat 7 years, 8 months ago

TOB and Bear.......you guys crack me up. I'm not gonna lie!!

So, what does Brownback do with the money that he HAS raised? Just curious.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 8 months ago

I swear, I'd change parties to vote in the primary for Sec. of State Ron Thornburgh for Gov.

krisell 7 years, 8 months ago

CindiCat, I was wondering the same thing about the money he has raised. Where does all that money go, or is it already gone?

raeLynn 7 years, 8 months ago

His campaign is over...

What a waist of time and money.

50YearResident 7 years, 8 months ago

Those extra campaign funds are sure going to make a nice retirement account for Sam, especially the two million dollar matching funds.

Scott Tichenor 7 years, 8 months ago

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What will all do now without the "Brownback Report" online to entertain us?

erod0723 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe that was Brownback's goal all along. He had to know going into it that he had literally no chance at winning the nomination, so perhaps he decided to swindle people out of their money. I wouldn't be surprised by this at all...

BigDog 7 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely!!! Unlike Brownback, Philllll and more recent Kansas GOP offerings, Thornburgh is not a media whore. Thornburgh does something because it's what's best for the people of Kansas: not because it'll get him face time on "The Spin Factory."

-Ag

You mean like the Queen of Photo Ops - Governor Sebelius

staff04 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm pretty sure the matching funds don't come into play until the general election.

That said, there are a variety of options candidates may choose for the funds left when they end their candidacy. Some keep the account for future races, some keep it to pay current and future campaign debts. Some donate it to other candidates, leadership PACs, or to other organizations like the NRCC, etc...

Podesta 7 years, 8 months ago

Yes, candidates get to keep campaign funds they don't spend. Ron Paul is also funding his retirement with a presidential campaign. But, the person best at it is Alan Keyes. He has been living off the money from Quixotic campaigns for most of his adult life.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

I might have to drop Sam from my myspace friends list.

Nah. I like having him there.

The_Voice_of_Reason 7 years, 8 months ago

If he becomes governor of Kansas I'm Moving!

gogoplata 7 years, 8 months ago

You must not know much about Ron Paul.

Orwell 7 years, 8 months ago

Surely there's another choice. Kansas won't be helped a chief exec who thinks he has a direct line to the Big Guy, any more than the US has been helped. On the other hand, the last time we promoted a moderate-conservative Secretary of State it was like eight years of Ambien overdose.

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 8 months ago

I too am very fond of Brownback. I do not necessarily support all of his views, but I do most of them. I wish he would get back to doing what he was elected to do. I sent an e-mail to his office some two weeks ago and have yet to receive an answer. Probably because he was out campaigning somewhere. He and Jim Ryun both impress me, and I voted for both. Ryun did an outstanding job and I hope he wins again. Sam, please get back to work as my Senator! You can do a lot of good for Kansas. Thank you, Lynn

jayhawks71 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe there is a god after all. Cya Sammy!

gogoplata 7 years, 8 months ago

Know enough to know, he's a very poor choice.

Ron Paul is a poor choice if you believe in ignoring the Constitution.

pieces_of_eight 7 years, 8 months ago

This is the only instance where Sam Brownback has ever pulled out of anything.