Letters to the Editor

Playing football

October 16, 2007

To the editor:

Nobody likes to play football. Nobody. The other players hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you play because your father wants you to. Then you play to get the girls. If you keep on playing, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you play for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch the games, and that's fun. But nobody likes to play football. Nobody.

Ben H. Barteldes,

Lawrence

Comments

Ernest Barteldes 4 years, 10 months ago

The letter writer is in his late 60s.

erod0723 6 years, 6 months ago

Thank God for slow news days and the worthless people at the paper that choose how to fill the void.

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

The hammer is still my favorite.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

"4th_grade_education (Anonymous) says:

Yet another example of why the ljworld will never be taken seriously."

Because of our letters to the editor? They're not usually the most value-added section of the newspaper.

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 6 months ago

hmm, good question, maybe some wirecutters? possibly a chisel?

oh yeah, logicsound- an obvious super nerd!! LOL!

(Insert Ramirez DII basketball glory days story here).- touche', it was JUCO ball, but thanks!!

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

"Ramirez, you are a tool."

Ramirez, if you are a tool, which one would you be?

Gootsie 6 years, 6 months ago

foosball been berry berry good to me.

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

KU_Dude--certianly could be, be given the two scenarios, it is much more likely that it is not.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

kansas778 - you may be right (although how do you know they didn't name one of their grandchildren Ben H.? You don't.).

None of that makes Mr. DII's statement any less toolish.

KU_Dude 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey kansas778,

Maybe Ben is a grandson or great-gradson of the gentleman you keep referring to?

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

Scenebooster: "I was just thinking that if/when it comes out that the letter writer is an 11 yo kid, your comment will seem even jerkier than it does at present:"

I already told you, this guy must be at least 50 years old as his father was 91 years old when he died. He's in the obit here on LJWorld.com. It is NOT an 11 yo kid.

justfornow 6 years, 6 months ago

Nobody likes to play football. Nobody. Again, speak for yourself Ben.

TongieMom 6 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like the kid that got picked last in gym class to me....and maybe never got the girl or any kind of scholarship money. Waaaaaa. Get over it.

My son really loves football....he enjoys putting on the gear and getting on the field...the strategy of the game, the team work involved to make things happen on the field, the joy of winning and even though it stings...the drive to do better when losing. He doesn't need a uniform to 'get the girls' and he certainly doesn't need it to get scholarship money (although, he'd sure use it if it came his way).

irnmadn88 6 years, 6 months ago

At nearly 40, I still play football every weekend. Oh wait, wrong country...how many of you Yanks can still play American football on the weekend?

logicsound04 6 years, 6 months ago

I am having a hard time understanding why everyone is so critical of this writer. It's an opinion letter, people--chill out.

Ramirez, you are a tool.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

"ah, SB, always so sensitive about my nerd comments::.truth hurts doesnt it?"

Seeing that you weren't addressing me, no it doesn't. As stated, I played football and liked playing football.

I was just thinking that if/when it comes out that the letter writer is an 11 yo kid, your comment will seem even jerkier than it does at present...

(Insert Ramirez DII basketball glory days story here).

4th_grade_education 6 years, 6 months ago

Yet another example of why the ljworld will never be taken seriously.

Gootsie 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd love to know the thought process that generated this "letter." Ben has issues far deeper than football!

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Is he discriminating against the gay football players? They don't play it for the girls.

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 6 months ago

ah, SB, always so sensitive about my nerd comments.......truth hurts doesnt it?

domino 6 years, 6 months ago

My older son played football and LOVED it. My younger son played in Jr. High and enjoyed it, but had no interest in playing in high school. He wasn't very big as a freshman and said he didn't want to get mashed by all the big bruisers. Think it is up to the individual. Thought the letter was strange, to say the least!

Andini 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm betting he played for the Hurricanes. :-)

countrygirl 6 years, 6 months ago

pimp11--there is a small mention of the shots in the on the record section. You would have thought it would have received a more prominent pot though. Having several family members who played football--one who has his college degree paid for with it--I have to disagree with the lte author. If you don't like--don't play. But don't assume that you speak for all.

pimp11 6 years, 6 months ago

logic,

I enjoyed myself more counting the numbers than I did reading the P.O.S.

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, football is different than other sports. It takes a different kind of person to play and enjoy football. I know I really enjoyed it.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

Ah, Mr. Ramirez - coursening the discourse since 2006.

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 6 months ago

Ben,

you are a moron. ........and most likely a nerd.

thanks, Mr.R

just_another_ninja 6 years, 6 months ago

Football in this case can be compared to life.

Nobody likes it. Everyone wants to hurt you. We really only strive to get laid. At best we get a good job and pay the bills, but that's still only to get married and reproduce (highly overrated). Being single, now that's fun, you get to watch all your friends go through divorces. But, nobody likes life. Nobody. It's just not fair.

blah blah blah,

blahtown

waydownsouth 6 years, 6 months ago

I think its a matter of opinion. My son plays and lives and breathes the sport. To him he can't understand why anyone would play golf or basketball. Sounds like a kid wrote this and is not happy that his parents make him play.

logicsound04 6 years, 6 months ago

pimp11,

I have a feeling you wasted more of your time actually counting the number of words in the letter.

pimp11 6 years, 6 months ago

wow reading those 75 words was a waste of my time. LJW wasted ink and valuable space that could have been taken up with info about the bullet shots in the windows of Lewis Hall on KU campus.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I did not see any information about this in the paper?!?!?!

Tony Kisner 6 years, 6 months ago

The same can be said about Liver and Onions. Although I don't think same helps with the ladies. Or does it?

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

"Have you critics ever stopped to think that the author might be a kid?"

He's not a kid, his father's obit was in the LJWorld, and his father was 91.

KU_Dude 6 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if Ben played football in the LYF league? :-)

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 6 months ago

I liked playing football. My dad didn't make me play. This letter confuses me. I don't care if it was a kid or senile old dude that wrote it.

tolawdjk 6 years, 6 months ago

Spoken like a man that accepts whatever is dished out to him meekly.

Ken Miller 6 years, 6 months ago

I think Michael Vick would disagree with Ben.

But seriously, if Ben is a kid, and his Dad is making/has made him play, then there is a profound sadness within this LTE.

rtwngr 6 years, 6 months ago

Not very good with the ladies, eh Ben?

Weezy_Jefferson 6 years, 6 months ago

Have you critics ever stopped to think that the author might be a kid?

jlw53 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe senility is setting in. Certainly not funny

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

Huh? Is this a bad attempt at sarcasm or is this guy serious?